Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best Sunday special?

farastein

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As stated, Best sunday all you can eat goes to Aroi pub & restaurant, 349 baht, very good quality, had it today, excellent.

30 minutes ago, jimboh said:

As stated, Best sunday all you can eat goes to Aroi pub & restaurant, 349 baht, very good quality, had it today, excellent.

Aroi looks good but it's impractical for visitors.  I wish visitors could get there easily, but since it's off the baht bus routes Aroi can only really work for expats with their own transport. 

23 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Yes, so true. But they are doing a decent trade, so here's hoping it will last.

I've read very good things on FB about Aroi, and I'd certainly like to go there, but I refuse to take motocycle taxis. Maybe there is some complicated way of taking two baht buses and walking a bit or something, but frankly it's not worth the trouble over going to one of the places in town.

IMO the best Sunday roasts near the baht bus network are (in preference order):

Sportsman AYCE

Maggs plated

Robin Hood AYCE or plated

Nickys plated

Dicey/QueenVic/Jollys/RobinsNest all AYCE

and of course for weekend specials an honourable mention goes to the Beefeater AYCE Mexican buffet.

On 16/07/2017 at 10:47 PM, jimboh said:

Went to Retox game on today, had large lamb. Overall, poor-meat dry, gravy had a weird taste, potatoes & veg OK. Wont return for Sunday Roast.

Most other food I have had there have been fine.

Curry flavoured?

Anyway same problem as Sportsman, lukewarm food on cold plates doesn't work for a Sunday Roast.

Nicky's not bad but Lamb and Beef poor lately.

DIY about 100 Baht.

20170819_154515.thumb.jpg.ac57a0722152a676a859f16b21aefcc0.jpg

2 hours ago, jimboh said:

Aroi seconded,and thirded.

Excellent product and a fair price.

After all the hype, I went to Nicky's on buckow. 

Ordered the chicken breast special. My order arrived before my drink.

obviously, had been sitting there. I couldn't believe it.

it was horrible.

I know there are practical problems with doing buffet style meals, but they are what they are.  None of them are perfect - well perhaps the big hotels at big prices might be better(?)

Does anyone have a Sunday Special batting order much different from mine?

23 minutes ago, weblo said:

After all the hype, I went to Nicky's on buckow. 

Ordered the chicken breast special. My order arrived before my drink.

obviously, had been sitting there. I couldn't believe it.

it was horrible.

Chicken Special on a Sunday?

How much?

As another Sunday idea, I haven't been to it, but has anyone else visited?

Akvavit2.jpg.45e91fefb231a030bd9c6d16f3da9860.jpg

Akvavit1.jpg.2f3f52361053f81d143f8af15214c84f.jpg

The best Sunday roast I've had was at the Punch & Judy pub.

not been for a while but see they came 2nd in a recent survey to the sportsman pub which I haven't tried yet.

IMG_0922.JPG

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

21 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

The best Sunday roast I've had was at the Punch & Judy pub.

not been for a while but see they came 2nd in a recent survey to the Sportsman pub which I haven't tried yet.

Can be OK but don't go late or it's dried up....be there by 1pm.

I'm not very fussy at all ....but i had a lamb sunday lunch meal (but it wasn't sunday) at cafe pitini. Tasted pretty good to me.

I put the Punch & Judy into the "too difficult to get to" pigeon hole, so I wasn't considering it in my list of Sunday Specials good for visitors near the baht bus routes.  It does seem to have quite a few fans though.

7 hours ago, Edge said:

Chicken Special on a Sunday?

How much?

Come to think of it now, I don't think it was a Sunday, but after that meal I hope it was a one time thing. Perhaps a bad day.  When it came out  in a minute I knew what to expect.

For me, best Sunday Roasts has been Punch & Judy and Maggs-their crispy pork is awesome.

Appreciate Aroi is not really an option for visitors due to location, unless renting a bike for a few days.  And its not THAT good that I would suggest hiring taxi to get there.

Yesterday, I had soup followed by a salad, they also had lots of little cold mussel, crab, tuna style little dishes along with sauces/dips. The mains were all good-a large baked whole salmon, BBB spare ribs, roast lamb and chicken. All were good. There is also a help yourself somtan station, not sure what it is like as the missus was happy enough with ribs and salmon. Had veg and sauté potatoes. House wine good too. The guy that owns the place, think he is Belgium, seems a nice, hard working guy. I have been a few times during the week, they do awesome kebabs on the skewer.

had the beef at the sportsman a couple of weeks ago...tough as old boots

pork was good

4 hours ago, weblo said:

Come to think of it now, I don't think it was a Sunday, but after that meal I hope it was a one time thing. Perhaps a bad day.  When it came out  in a minute I knew what to expect.

Think it'll have been a weekday jobbie that's what they do....never had much luck with those.

Like most CC places such as Robins Nest and Jollies its down to a price and its often crap.

Nickys Sunday Lunch is more than twice the price and much better but last two times the meat has been poor.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:34 AM, SirL said:

Robin Hood does seem to be getting more and more positive mentions recently - back at the time Bite Me "moved" there, there was more criticism.

On the basis that most of us would struggle with a third or fourth plateful of Sunday lunch, particularly in midday heat, it's difficult to argue against one plate at B200 being better value than AYCE at B400.  What AYCE gives you is the choice of which bits and pieces you select, if you have non-standard preferences.

What does midday heat have to do with having additional plates? I haven't heard that before.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

3 hours ago, LTGTR said:

What does midday heat have to do with having additional plates? I haven't heard that before.

Many people don't have a big appetite in midday heat (or hot countries).  They eat more when it's cooler.

Far too many Pattaya visitors (and ex-pats) who think large quantities of crap food is a good thing for many restaurants to try anything different.

I'd much rather get served a considerably smaller quantity of much better food. It's getting quite difficult to find places that do that now.

I can count the number of really good meals I had in Pattaya during my last trip on the fingers of one hand.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

13 minutes ago, davidge said:

Far too many Pattaya visitors (and ex-pats) who think large quantities of crap food is a good thing for many restaurants to try anything different.

I'd much rather get served a considerably smaller quantity of much better food. It's getting quite difficult to find places that do that now.

I can count the number of really good meals I had in Pattaya during my last trip on the fingers of one hand.

Yes, but the dialogue on this site tends to be at the sub-B300 price point.  I'm very happy to go up to ~B500 and frequent the likes of Tsunami Sushi Buffet, Oishi, Yamato, Hilton Edge, but that isn't where the bulk of guys here are.

I like mini "proper restaurants" like Freelax, Rinapp, Taverna del Passatore, El Greco, even Deli Diner, and I haven't been to The Bite, but they are not relevant to this Sunday Special thread.

Archived