IGNORED

Test Match Cricket

mikeyboy

Warner goneski already..... it is going to be an interesting race to the finish line 555  Aussies will need about 150 in the second dig...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the 1st innings, the Indians have outsmarted themselves with the garbage wicket they dished up... I sincerely hope they get their cynical arses kicked.. Kohli getting a duck was beautiful to watch...  They have gotten exactly what they deserved, in the first innings any way.... may it continue.

a bloke called O'Keefe.... 6/35. just sayin

I'm loving it too .  He has done first up what Ali ,Rashid and Ansari couldn't do in 8 attempts .

I don't think even a diehard Oz fan would have seen it coming , to be fair .

On another note , this type of wicket is preferable to a boring road , but doesn't advance test cricket .

Mikeyboy

I'm loving it too .  He has done first up what Ali ,Rashid and Ansari couldn't do in 8 attempts .

I don't think even a diehard Oz fan would have seen it coming , to be fair .

On another note , this type of wicket is preferable to a boring road , but doesn't advance test cricket .

Mikeyboy

What makes me call them cynical, is that at the beginning of day 1, one of the Indian commentators said Pune was the place to go, if you were a batsman out of form and needed to make some runs, because the wicket there is always good... and then they intentionally trot out a wicket like this, knowing the Aussies are generally pretty ordinary against spin. Hanscomb is an exception to that.

O'Keefe has been under rated.... his first class form locally, has been very very good over the years, and now, finally he is getting a chance. The best thing that happened to Oz cricket was being towelled up by South Africa early in the summer. That led to the resignation of Rod Marsh, who imo, was holding OZ cricket back with his selection policies...  Good young players were ignored.... that changed when Marsh left. And for the good.

What makes me call them cynical, is that at the beginning of day 1, one of the Indian commentators said Pune was the place to go, if you were a batsman out of form and needed to make some runs, because the wicket there is always good... and then they intentionally trot out a wicket like this, knowing the Aussies are generally pretty ordinary against spin. Hanscomb is an exception to that.

O'Keefe has been under rated.... his first class form locally, has been very very good over the years, and now, finally he is getting a chance. The best thing that happened to Oz cricket was being towelled up by South Africa early in the summer. That led to the resignation of Rod Marsh, who imo, was holding OZ cricket back with his selection policies...  Good young players were ignored.... that changed when Marsh left. And for the good.

I agree that sometimes a good stuffing can lead to changes that are urgently needed.  

Australia seemed after that South Africa series to be down in the dumps , but changes were made and confidence has been restored as the newer players have performed right from the start .

Australia need to go on and wrap up this test quickly , something England failed to do to India when on top a couple of months ago and it really cost them .

Mikeyboy

India are a great side. It's too early to count them out but it's going to be tough from here.

Aussies 2/46 in the second dig. Another hundred and it will take an incredible performance or two for India to win.

I just hope it isn't all over too soon, I'm planning to watch it on the weekend.

The Marsh boys have 20 runs between them for two outs. Bring back Maxwell for the next test, he can't do any worse and at least it will be entertaining.

Aussies have nearly got enough of a lead already. It's turning square and some are starting to really spit.

O'Keefe and Lyon both put big revs on the ball and 250+ will take a lot of getting.

India are a great side. It's too early to count them out but it's going to be tough from here.

Aussies 2/46 in the second dig. Another hundred and it will take an incredible performance or two for India to win.

I just hope it isn't all over too soon, I'm planning to watch it on the weekend.

I think i can say with some certainty that there is not a great side in world cricket at the moment .

India may be one of the better sides at the moment , but until they start performing consistently well outside Asia they will be known as " Home Town Bullies "

May well be a 3 and a bit day test .

Mikeyboy

India in India I think they could chase 400 even on that dust bowl,I won't be happy until we've got them all out.

Only caught the highlight of the last days play , as on the road , but what a stuffing .   O'keefe's 12 wickets was a fantastic achievement , and Smith's 100 would have to be termed brilliant in the context of the match .

Great to see somebody give India a kicking in their own back yard .   I now know why India are reluctant to use DRS , Kohli and co. don't have a clue how to use it properly .  

India don't become a bad side in the space of one match and will expect them to come back at Australia in the next test . .

Can anyone explain why the tests are being played in empty stadiums in provincial cities , and not at  Mumbai ,Calcutta , Chennai or the capital Delhi ?  

Mikeyboy

Anyone know where the Aus v India 2nd Test is being shown on Sat 4 from 11 am?

I arrive in Patts Fri 3rd and I looked at online sports schedule for Retox, Retox Game on and Witherspoons and they don't show it as being played (all showing NRL when cricket is on).

Don't they know it's still cricket season and the 2nd Test may be the most exciting ever lol 

Anyone know where the Aus v India 2nd Test is being shown on Sat 4 from 11 am?

I arrive in Patts Fri 3rd and I looked at online sports schedule for Retox, Retox Game on and Witherspoons and they don't show it as being played (all showing NRL when cricket is on).

Don't they know it's still cricket season and the 2nd Test may be the most exciting ever lol 

I'd rather watch paint dry.   :hello10:

keeping the dream alive !!!

I'd rather watch paint dry.   :hello10:

So why bother reading, never mind commenting, on a Cricket Test Match thread lol

So why bother reading, never mind commenting, on a Cricket Test Match thread lol

Probably thought he could bowl a maiden over then realised he could not afford it

www.sugarcanemafia.com

Yeah point taken, I'll stick to the football and rugby league threads from now on   :Hit_Self:

keeping the dream alive !!!

2 nd Test started , India bat 168 - 5 at tea. Rahul 73* Lyon 3 wickets .

Bangalore wicket , bouncing , turning , shooting making it a real grind .

Australia will need a decent first innings lead to stay in this match .

Mikeyboy

Lyons 8/50 was bloody marvelous; for me the icing on the cake was India's last 5 wickets going down for a paltry 15 runs.

Australia have somehow gotta score 350+ to avoid chasing too much on day 4 or 5.

But who knows - test match cricket is a funny and often unpredictable game.

Good day watching the cricket in Patts yesterday. Split the sessions between Retox (breakfast), Whiterspoons (lunch) and Metro bar (happy hours drinkfest).

I thought Merv Hughes was well supported but nothing like Lyon where the Metro crowd were yelling out Garrry every time he bowled :)

C,mon you Aussies , I say this as an Englishman tired of seeing " Test Match Pitches " in India so poor , as to be detrimental to the great game

Hoping that Australia can win this match , but when so much is against the batsmen , no side is ever out of the lottery ( match ) .

Oz 89-2 100 behind .          now 140 - 3  closing in on India's total .

Mikeyboy

Australia lead by 87 on first innings , could and probably should be enough to win this turnip patch crawl .

Kohli making Dohni's captaincy look good .

Mikeyboy

Hope you're right. Indians taking up to Aussies early

www.sugarcanemafia.com

• 5 months later...

Two  excellent test matches just finished .      Proper cricket , not the baseball style garbage of 20/20

Bangladesh with their first ever win over Australia  by 20 runs .   Also West Indies chase down 320 odd  to beat England at Headingley .

Roll on the Ashes in November .

Mikeyboy

3 hours ago, mikeyboy said:

Two  excellent test matches just finished .      Proper cricket , not the baseball style garbage of 20/20

Bangladesh with their first ever win over Australia  by 20 runs .   Also West Indies chase down 320 odd  to beat England at Headingley .

Roll on the Ashes in November .

Mikeyboy

Only hope England do some training on catching balls :D

2 hours ago, mbamber said:

Only hope England do some training on catching balls :D

True .     

West Indies catching and ground fielding has been abysmal in the first 2 tests , but Englands catching was awful in this match  .

Pleased that the Windies had their day in the sun , but their domestic game is in  a real mess and this win may well be just a flash in the pan .

Mikeyboy

Archived