IGNORED

Test Match Cricket

mikeyboy

I like the idea as some tests outside of London struggle for attendances so its worth trying something new.

It will benefit me for London tests as I will not need to take a full day off work

Cricket is evolving - give it a try and you may enjoy it.

I have tried. I hate it.

I don't go to T20.

I don't go to 50-over games that go until 10.30pm.

I won't be going to First Class games that are played then either.

Bad decision after bad decision has slowly destroyed the County game.

I truly fear for it's future.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next day-night Test starts 16-Dec, Aus vs Pak at the Gabba in Brisbane...looking forward to it as the last session really adds some excitement to the game...Batsmen will need to learn to bat properly again instead of this T20 rubbish skills...showing my age lol

I love the Gabba and Brisbane- saw an Ashes test there in 2002 (don't mention the result).

Some tests at the Gabba are empty so to get 15k+ attendances per day would be amazing for the development of cricket. 

Test cricket has almost died on some countries so any ideas that drive interest should be welcomed with open arms.

I have tried. I hate it.

I don't go to T20.

I don't go to 50-over games that go until 10.30pm.

I won't be going to First Class games that are played then either.

Bad decision after bad decision has slowly destroyed the County game.

I truly fear for it's future.

I'm not indicating that its the solution to all crickets problems but without a trial run we will never know.  Only a few of my friends like cricket but none watch county games - domestically the sport needs to try and encourage a new generation of fans or it will contunue to be watched by 1 man and his dog.

I love the tradition of the longer version of cricket but a few small tweeks can help elevate the sport in a very competitive market.

• 3 weeks later...

England also doing well against India in the 5th Test, they may win it to save some face in what has been a great series for India.

Of course, as an Aussie I want them to lose haha

Pakistan struggling badly about 8-100 first innings against Aussies at the Gabba in Queensland where Aus scored about 427, but it is understandable as the test match is a new breed day/night match and Pam trying to come to grips with batting under lights against determined fast bowling with most Pam batsmen caught behind and in attacking slips.

Aus have home advantage, Pak batting under lights and finding it tough and Aus selectors growing some balls and picking new young batsmen who will reward Aus in spades!!!

But Aussies at home before that flogged by South Africa 3-0 who should be ranked higher in rankings than they are and England lose series in India to India one of the toughest if not the toughest gig in cricket.

So looks like India way ahead and England or South Africa deserve second spot

Pakistan struggling badly about 8-100 first innings against Aussies at the Gabba in Queensland where Aus scored about 427, but it is understandable as the test match is a new breed day/night match and Pam trying to come to grips with batting under lights against determined fast bowling with most Pam batsmen caught behind and in attacking slips.

Aus have home advantage, Pak batting under lights and finding it tough and Aus selectors growing some balls and picking new young batsmen who will reward Aus in spades!!!

But Aussies at home before that flogged by South Africa 3-0 who should be ranked higher in rankings than they are and England lose series in India to India one of the toughest if not the toughest gig in cricket.

So looks like India way ahead and England or South Africa deserve second spot

Two points. Australia beaten 2-1 at home vs South Africa, not 3-0, after Aussie selectors grew some balls and chucked out half the side for the third test.

Secondly, I wouldn't say India are way in front as the best team in the world until they can beat England, South Africa and Australia away. They are bullies at home, but travel about as well as fresh cream on a hot day.....

Not a fan of day night test matches in Brisbane where the ball swings all over the place after dinner break. Better in less humid tropical places.

In any event, it's certainly been an interesting summer of cricket so far. Following the Paki test series it's 5 one-days then over to NZ for a return 3 game one day series.

Plenty or cricket to keep the fans happy! Just hope it's competitive...

And of course next summer it's the Ashes.

I like the idea as some tests outside of London struggle for attendances so its worth trying something new.

It will benefit me for London tests as I will not need to take a full day off work

Cricket is evolving - give it a try and you may enjoy it.

Day/night tests are the way to go. In Australia at least. Good to see the ball dominate the bat on occasion.

Outstanding effort from the Pakis in the 1st Test - bring on Boxing Day, it may well be an epic.

Meanwhile 900+ runs scored in the India England Test now in day 4, and it's still the first innings! 

Amazing effort by Pakistan. Helped a bit by the storm killing off the swing but never thought they would get anywhere near what they needed.

In any event, it's certainly been an interesting summer of cricket so far. Following the Paki test series it's 5 one-days then over to NZ for a return 3 game one day series.

Plenty or cricket to keep the fans happy! Just hope it's competitive...

And of course next summer it's the Ashes.

Yes , ;looking forward to next ashes already .  

England and Australia have had some right ups and downs over the last year , with plenty of new faces being given a run .

For England , difficult to know if Cook and Anderson will be around then .  I hope they will , as still fine players. 

Search continues for a front line spinner as  Ali , Rashid , and co. looked very ordinary on turning wickets in India .

Pakistans 2 nd innings effort at the Gabba was fantastic , comfortably the most inconsistent team in world cricket .

Two points. Australia beaten 2-1 at home vs South Africa, not 3-0, after Aussie selectors grew some balls and chucked out half the side for the third test.

Secondly, I wouldn't say India are way in front as the best team in the world until they can beat England, South Africa and Australia away. They are bullies at home, but travel about as well as fresh cream on a hot day....

India are usually piss poor when visiting England ,  . Their superstar batsmen being found out as soon as the ball seams off the straight or any new ball swing .

Fortress India i would say now is the toughest tour in world cricket .   England being stuffed 4-0 was horrible .

Mikeyboy

Outstanding effort from the Pakis in the 1st Test - bring on Boxing Day, it may well be an epic.

Meanwhile 900+ runs scored in the India England Test now in day 4, and it's still the first innings! 

England post a very decent 477 in their first knock and still manage to lose by an innings .    That takes some doing !

Mikeyboy

England post a very decent 477 in their first knock and still manage to lose by an innings .    That takes some doing !

Mikeyboy

Not having a frontline test quality spinner is why. 

Yes they are lacking a test quality spinner.

Graeme Swann was a legend, and left a big hole to fill over the last 3 years.

every team needs a quality spinner. But even with one england was going to struggle in india.

How often do the indians lose a series at home? Almost never. Australia in 2001 should have with arguably the best side of all time but vvs saw to that. In 2007 when australia won it was due to a freakish deterioration in the pitch which allowed clarke to take 7 for nothing.

Test cricket is well and truly alive. Look at the gabba test.

Get rid of 50 over odis (except for cwc). And play t20 and tests.

If test cricket dies, cricket dies. All real cricketers strive to play tests.

Yes , was a big factor in India piling on the runs , 

Moeen Ali was not threatening , Adil Rashid bowled a 4 ball nearly every over and add dropped catches into the mix and England didn't stand a chance .

Mikeyboy 

every team needs a quality spinner. But even with one england was going to struggle in india.

How often do the indians lose a series at home? Almost never. Australia in 2001 should have with arguably the best side of all time but vvs saw to that. In 2007 when australia won it was due to a freakish deterioration in the pitch which allowed clarke to take 7 for nothing.

Test cricket is well and truly alive. Look at the gabba test.

Get rid of 50 over odis (except for cwc). And play t20 and tests.

If test cricket dies, cricket dies. All real cricketers strive to play tests.

if england had one quality spinner it makes a massive difference. Having two guys below the required level and seamers is a disaster waiting to happen

if england had one quality spinner it makes a massive difference. Having two guys below the required level and seamers is a disaster waiting to happen

England play home test match series and India look complete novices on seaming tracks .

Home advantage in test cricket is almost too much of an advantage , 

Mikeyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see the Aussies come back and flatten the Pakis 3-0. That's now 12-0 across the previous 4 tours. Jeez touring Oz must be a bloody nightmare for those blokes (and the fans).

Australia is off to India next month for a 4 test series, reckon the Indians may give them a good solid reaming - but fingers crossed for a win or 2...

Great to see the Aussies come back and flatten the Pakis 3-0. That's now 12-0 across the previous 4 tours. Jeez touring Oz must be a bloody nightmare for those blokes (and the fans).

Australia is off to India next month for a 4 test series, reckon the Indians may give them a good solid reaming - but fingers crossed for a win or 2...

Would like to see the Aussies do well , but like England they lack a quality spinner . 

Nathan Lyon is okay , but okay won't be good enough .

Mikeyboy

• 1 month later...

What is going on - Australia is smashing India in the first Test! 

Bloody love it

O'Keefe turning it square but Indian batting suicidal.

On the 1st innings, the Indians have outsmarted themselves with the garbage wicket they dished up... I sincerely hope they get their cynical arses kicked.. Kohli getting a duck was beautiful to watch...  They have gotten exactly what they deserved, in the first innings any way.... may it continue.

Would like to see the Aussies do well , but like England they lack a quality spinner . 

(Snip)

Mikeyboy

a bloke called O'Keefe.... 6/35. just sayin

Archived