IGNORED

.. RETIREMENT VISA - 1-Year Extension UPDATE

brutox

For those with less than a full year of validity on their passport, when applying for a 1-year 'retirement' extension .. 

My passport had less than a full year of validity (expiring April 2017) when I extended my 1-year extension endorsement a few months ago .. Thai Immigration allowed my extension only for the period remaining on my passport's validity.

The THB 1,900 fee was not prorated for the shorter period .. it costs little, so I paid the full amount without complaint.

I got my renewed passport last week, and visited Thai Immigration where they transferred my "O-A" visa and the extension stamps from the old passport to the new passport (a quick, painless process .. in and out in less than an hour .. no charge) .. but .. the extension endorsement is valid only until April, 2017. 

In April 2017, I presume that I will pay the full THB 1,900 amount again when I apply for a 1-year extension.

For passports with less than a year validity, I presume the same applies to the THB 3,800 multiple-entry endorsement, which I did not purchase.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those with less than a full year of validity on their passport, when applying for a 1-year 'retirement' extension .. 

My passport had less than a full year of validity (expiring April 2017) when I extended my 1-year extension endorsement a few months ago .. Thai Immigration allowed my extension only for the period remaining on my passport's validity.

The THB 1,900 fee was not prorated for the shorter period .. it costs little, so I paid the full amount without complaint.

I got my renewed passport last week, and visited Thai Immigration where they transferred my "O-A" visa and the extension stamps from the old passport to the new passport (a quick, painless process .. in and out in less than an hour .. no charge) .. but .. the extension endorsement is valid only until April, 2017. 

In April 2017, I presume that I will pay the full THB 1,900 amount again when I apply for a 1-year extension.

For passports with less than a year validity, I presume the same applies to the THB 3,800 multiple-entry endorsement, which I did not purchase.

The fee for an extension has nothing to do with the length of the extension. It is always 1900 Baht whether it's a 7 day, 30 day or one year extension.

Multiple or single re-entry stamp expires when the visa or visa extension expires,it can not be carried over.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder of the 800k in a thai bank rule details. I got caught out by the rule this year. Been ok previous years. My fault I know.

On the day you apply to renew your retirement visa you have to show that you had the 800k in a proper thai bank account 3 months ago and the balance cannot dip below that during the last 3 months. I.e. continuously have 800k. Its not just today you need the 800k.

Some types of higher interest accounts are not accepted.

I only had about 7 weeks of 800k+.

Anyway its not too bad for me as I will take a short trip outside thailand and then apply again when the cash-in-bank rules are met.

Start with just a 30 day tourist visa again.

I am presuming, hoping you can still convert that type of visa into the non-O one and then retirement visa at jomtien ? Is that currently correct ?

Weird thing is that you only need 2 months of continuous 800k when starting from scratch. So i will actually qualify easily.

Anyway, hope my plan works out. Watch out for this issue.

I am presuming, hoping you can still convert that type of visa into the non-O one and then retirement visa at jomtien ? Is that currently correct ?

I believe it's possible, but I recommend coming in on a proper 60 days SETV rather than just a Visa Waiver Stamp.

Conversion to non-O has to be done at Bangkok (Jomtien will send it for you I think) then the Extension can be done at Jomtien.

Just a reminder of the 800k in a thai bank rule details. I got caught out by the rule this year. Been ok previous years. My fault I know.

On the day you apply to renew your retirement visa you have to show that you had the 800k in a proper thai bank account 3 months ago and the balance cannot dip below that during the last 3 months. I.e. continuously have 800k. Its not just today you need the 800k.

Some types of higher interest accounts are not accepted.

I only had about 7 weeks of 800k+.

Anyway its not too bad for me as I will take a short trip outside thailand and then apply again when the cash-in-bank rules are met.

Weird thing is that you only need 2 months of continuous 800k when starting from scratch. So i will actually qualify easily.

Anyway, hope my plan works out. Watch out for this issue.

You can also go the 65,000 bt per month ,with embassy letter ,I hope as that is what my plan for renewal is.

I spend half my money on hookers and booze ,the other half I waste.

My understanding is that the re-entry endorsement is merely an added feature to whatever visa it is attached, and valid only as long as the visa itself .. if your "O-A" Visa expired, your multiple re-entry endorsement might also be invalid.

This is correct.

Your re-entry permit (multiple or single) dies with your visa extension regardless of when you applied for it and regardless of the validity date on it. You must get a new re-entry permit before travelling if you have a new visa extension, regardless of the date on the old permit.

People who dont buy their re-entry permits at the same time as their visa extensions can easily fall foul of this rule. This is most likely to concern those who dont travel often each year and who only buy single re-entry permits as needed, as I do, but it could affect anyone who bought a multiple re-entry permit some time after doing their extension.

If you re-enter the country with a visa extension but without a valid re-entry permit then your extension is invalidated and you will have to apply for a completely new one with new fees and new paperwork (or pay a bribe "service fee").

Went to do my 90 day and annual extension at Kap Chong a couple days ago. This year, as opposed to years past I opted for extension based on marriage to a Thai. I previously got my extension based on monthly income of 65K Baht but this year was unable to get an income letter of verification because embassy outreach in Pattaya was scheduled too late for me to take advantage.

I had always maintained a bank account of 800K but had never had to use it because I met the 65K provision. Since I never used the 800K I decided to add my wife's name on the account in case she needed to access the money for any type of emergency that might arise. So, as luck would have it, now I needed the 800K but, in reality, it was only 400K because I could only claim 1/2 since I had added the wife's name on the account. Hence the need to apply for extension based on marriage.  O.K. I had all the paperwork except for pics of my home. I reasoned that since Immigration had visited my home the previous year I would not need the pics. WRONG.   What to do? I really didn't want to travel home to rustle up some pics (130 KM round trip) so I asked the guy if I could use 2 separate and distinct bank acct. balances to add up to 800K. He said "O.K. we have never done this before, but don't worry, but 1st we go to lunch."  Long story short; after 4 trips to the bank and 400Bht worth of bank fees and 1 Thai lunch break he finally returned my extension of stay immediately upon returning from his lunch. Seems to me he could have issued the extension before lunch but noooo.  And then the coup'de gra; could I please contribute 1 bottle of Som tam for all his troubles. Not liking this, but since he had assisted me with the "never done this before"  scenario,  I sent the wife back into the office with 500Bht and she gave it to him with the proviso (for all to hear) that the 500Bht gratuity was for the office staff to buy lunch. Indeed it was a headache but actually got it all done in about 4 hours. Pain in the a...

In ref. to the above post where I queried about combining two separate bank accounts and the IO said "O.K. but we have never done this before but don't worry"    When IO finally returned my passport he made mention of Donald Trump to which  I replied   "O.K. we have never done this before, but don't worry." :ThumbUp6:

What do you mean by "unable to get an income letter of verification because embassy outreach in Pattaya was scheduled too late for me to take advantage. "

The consulate in Pattaya closed several years ago and as far as  i know never reopened. You have to get the letter from the Embassy in Bangkok.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

The consulate in Pattaya closed several years ago and as far as  i know never reopened. You have to get the letter from the Embassy in Bangkok.

Or you can get it online via a UK gov site and have it posted to you...... but you do need a Credit Card.

Every year the U.S. Embassy schedules an outreach program in Pattaya; 2 or 3 times a year with the 1st usually occurring in the month of January. This year, however, the 1st scheduled outreach to Pattaya  is scheduled for March 3rd, which is too late as I must have all my extension of stay paperwork submitted prior to 23 Feburary. I think Edge and Billyboy were referring to the British consulate.

At the aforementioned U.S. Embassy outreach program any U.S. citizen can obtain a notarized copy of their income.

Hoped I cleared that up for you 

Sorry I somehow assumed you were British.

Or you can get it online via a UK gov site and have it posted to you...... but you do need a Credit Card.

You have to get it from the British Embassy in Bangkok and now you can only get it by post after posting them the details. I have downloaded the forms today.

You have to get it from the British Embassy in Bangkok and now you can only get it by post after posting them the details. I have downloaded the forms today.

Apologies, yes, the post is involved but otherwise you can do it from home whereas before you had to go to Bangkok yourself or pay an agent to do it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

I did my renewal this week, with very pleasant surprises .

On Wednesday, we arrived in Jomtien at the office at 7.45, with all the required documentation.

The doors opened at 8.00 sharp, I got allocated number 807, seveth in line. The formal functions open at 8.30, but to my surprise, they started processing at 8.20, I git called at 8.35, walked out if there at 8.35

In previous years, I spent all morning there.

Next day, we were scheduked to arrive for pick up of passport at 10.30

We actually arrived at 10.30, picked up oassports with visa, went back to the desk with pre filled firms for the re-entry trrip, then were moved through that stage in about 25 minutes....

Both days the fastest ever growing n the 8 years I have done this...

Just important, get all your documentation correct

My compliments to the staff of the immigration office in Jomtien....

Fastest time ever...

How lucky you are... those obliged to use Chiang Mai Immigration need to be in queue not much later than 03.00hrs (rpt 03.00hrs) to guarantee being seen on the same day.  Pages of gripes on Thai Visa.

Which document or form is the proper one to fill out to renew the 1 year stay ? Is it a different one than Apply for Visa,TM 7 , TM 86,87 ?

I spend half my money on hookers and booze ,the other half I waste.

I believe it's possible, but I recommend coming in on a proper 60 days SETV rather than just a Visa Waiver Stamp.

Conversion to non-O has to be done at Bangkok (Jomtien will send it for you I think) then the Extension can be done at Jomtien.

Thanks. I'd do a non-O abroad, but the country I am in takes 2 days to process it which is awkward for me. There seems a chance that it can still be done via a 30-day tourist visa sent to BKK by jomtien if done in time, so I'll try that and report back.

I have just completed filling in the forms. They want details of your.Credit card and you do not fill in the amount required (presently shown as £52 but that may change as it shows 46 baht/£) and they will deduct the current fee.

However i was under the impression that in order to make a payment you also need the three 'password' numbers on the back of the card which they do not ask for..

Am i wrong or do they phone and ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Useful post.

The British embassy no longer issues income verification letters over the counter, same day service.  Applications now by post only - see here for the documentary requirements.  .

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

Used the service last April - verification letter received within a week.

I've never been asked for verification of address, but take along a current bank statement and have the last change of address acknowledgement stapled in my passport.

I sent off (Express) my details of Pension to British Embassy on 31st Jan, letter was signed 2nd Feb and I got it back today Sunday 5th Feb.

Well done the Embassy.

I sent off (Express) my details of Pension to British Embassy on 31st Jan, letter was signed 2nd Feb and I got it back today Sunday 5th Feb.

Well done the Embassy.

Can you say what Exchange Rate they used?

They don't use an exchange rate at all. They simply copy down the information you have provided when you send the proof of income.

I have been asked once by the Thai immigration officer 'what is that in Thai Bhat?' I gave him a rough figure based on a guess if the exchange rate of the day and he seemed happy.

So all the information in the British Embassy letter refers to GB pounds only.

I agree the Embassy service by post is excellent - done it twice now and all turned around and back with me within 5 days.

They don't use an exchange rate at all. They simply copy down the information you have provided when you send the proof of income.

I have been asked once by the Thai immigration officer 'what is that in Thai Bhat?' I gave him a rough figure based on a guess if the exchange rate of the day and he seemed happy.

So all the information in the British Embassy letter refers to GB pounds only.

I agree the Embassy service by post is excellent - done it twice now and all turned around and back with me within 5 days.

So if someone applied using a combination of Income & Bank for example, how would they know if it added up to 800k Baht?

I know that the Embassy letter only deals in GBP (for Brits) but I'm pretty sure someone somewhere in Immigration applies the current ER.

Archived