IGNORED

.. RETIREMENT VISA - 1-Year Extension UPDATE

brutox

Current process, as at 2016-09.

Nothing significant appears to have changed to the basic requirements since I last extended in 2015-09, except a few items noted below.

But, since procedures for extending by one year a retirement visa sometimes vary from one Immigration office to the next, this might be helpful for those applying at the Chaeng Wattana office.

Last Friday, I extended my retirement visa (with a Multiple Entry Endorsement) at the Royal Thai Immigration's Chaeng Wattana office.  I am an American retired here for some years, with a valid Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa (colloquially known as a "retirement visa").

The procedure for extending it by another year does not require renewing the Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa .. you are merely requesting to extend it by 1-year.  This application can be made up to 30-days prior to the expiration of your last extension.

Intentionally fashionably late, I arrived at Immigration at 2.30p on Friday (more on that below).

For the 1-year extension, I submitted the following:

1.  Form TM-7 - "Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom"

2.  One photograph

3.  Verification of income:

• Brits - Similar affidavits are issued by the British Embassy, but I am unsure of their requirements.  As I understand, they require copies of documents evidencing income, unlike the US Embassy.

• Others - The standard procedure is still to submit evidence of a: (i) minimum THB 800,000 balance for 90-days in a Thai bank account; (ii) monthly income of at least THB 65,000; or, (iii) combination of the two (bank account balance + income x 12 = THB 800,000).

4.  Verification of current address

• Copy of lease agreement

5.  Copies of passport pages (each page signed):

• Passport holder's information page (including passport expiration date)
  • Current Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa stamp
  • Current Multiple Entry Endorsement stamp
  • Latest arrival stamp

6.  Form TM-47 - "Receipt of Notification" for latest 90-day notification of stay submission (typically stapled into your passport)

7.  Form TM-6 - "Departure Card" (typically stapled into your passport)

8.  Fee - THB 1,900

Notes:

• With my Verification of Income Affidavit, no request was made for copies of financial statements, bank books etc.
  • No request was made for me to submit the notorious "Foreign National Information Form".  This is I understand being inconsistently required, and might be a function of the location the application is submitted, or the applicant's profile. 
  • However, a new requirement is to sign a statement acknowledging the penalties for violating the terms of the visa .. probably useful as evidence to undermine any legal defense and expedite deportation when a visa over-stay violator is arrested and brought before the court. 

THIS IS IMPORTANT:  The above extension does not include a Multiple Entry Endorsement to your Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa.  This is very important if you plan to depart and return at any time during the validity of your retirement visa.  If you do not have the Multiple Entry Endorsement, your Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa cancels the moment you depart.

For the Multiple Entry Endorsement, I submitted the following:

1.  TM-8 - "Application for Re-entry Permit into the Kingdom"

2.  One photograph

3.  Fee - THB 3,800

The reason I chose to arrive at Immigration late on a Friday is that I discovered through trial and error that processing is far faster during this period.  While bureaucracy is seldom fast, in the rush to get out of there, officials work notably quickly in the last hours of the week.

In the hour after I arrived, they were slogging through the queue at one applicant every 4-1/2 minutes.  I was the 3rd to the last applicant they processed that day .. in the hour before I was called, they burned through the queue at one applicant every 1-1/2 minutes.

Roughly anticipating their burn rate, I was able to go downstairs, have a relaxing coffee at Rabika, and do some Internet work at my leisure.  Not entirely unpleasant.  The counter-commute traffic back to the Mor Chit BTS Station was not bad at all.

Late appointments are similarly fast when doing my 90-day report at Chaeng Wattana.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Useful post.

The British embassy no longer issues income verification letters over the counter, same day service.  Applications now by post only - see here for the documentary requirements.  .

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration  

Used the service last April - verification letter received within a week.

I've never been asked for verification of address, but take along a current bank statement and have the last change of address acknowledgement stapled in my passport.

Thanks for the update ,,Did you have to go to another section to get the Multi -Entry card ?? Chaeng Wattana is also where I will have to go,the shopping mall downstairs makes the wait not so bad.

I spend half my money on hookers and booze ,the other half I waste.

Thanks for the update ,,Did you have to go to another section to get the Multi -Entry card ?? .....

Hey, soi23 .. the Multiple Entry Endorsement was done at the same time by the same officers.

THIS IS IMPORTANT:  The above extension does not include a Multiple Entry Endorsement to your Non-Immigrant "O" Visa.  This is very important if you plan to depart and return at any time during the validity of your retirement visa.  If you do not have the Multiple Entry Endorsement, your Non-Immigrant "O" Visa cancels the moment you depart.

For the Multiple Entry Endorsement, I submitted the following:

1.  TM-8 - "Application for Re-entry Permit into the Kingdom"

2.  One photograph

3.  Fee - THB 3,800

Yes, very important, but at 3,800 for the Multi, unless you're fairly sure you're going to exit at least 4 times Singles are available at 1000 each (same TM8 and can be got any time).

More visits to Immigration perhaps, but if you're unsure how many times or even whether you'll exit, it's an option.

Can the lease agreement/receipt from a hotel/guesthouse for a short duration satisfy that requirement for immigration?

I currently have a OA visa with a multiple entry re-entry permit. The visa actually expired in September, however the multiple entry reentry permit is good until December.

I'll be returning to Thailand in October.

I work offshore and travel back and forth to the US frequently so I do not have a permanent address in Thailand.

Just wondering how that will affect my retirement extension.

More visits to Immigration perhaps, but if you're unsure how many times or even whether you'll exit, it's an option.

Can't they be done as you exit Thailand. I have noticed that there is a booth with the word 're-entry' on it just before immigration at the airport.

The procedure for extending it by another year does not require renewing the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa .. you are merely requesting to extend it by 1-year. 

The retirement visa is a Non-Immigrant "O-A" visa rather than the bog standard Non-Immigrant "O" visa which allows stays of up to 90 days. Yeah, I know I am being anal....:P

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Can't they be done as you exit Thailand. I have noticed that there is a booth with the word 're-entry' on it just before immigration at the airport.

Don't think so.............maybe someone could try it and let us know?  555

Apparently Yes.

Definitely no option at a land exit......as I found out.

There was an office at BKK airport where you could get a re-entry stamp in your passport a while ago, I have never heard of it being closed down.  Only thing there is that they charged a little bit more than the 1,000 baht that you can get one for in other immigration offices.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

.... The retirement visa is a Non-Immigrant "O-A" visa rather than the bog standard Non-Immigrant "O" visa which allows stays of up to 90 days. Yeah, I know I am being anal.... :P

You are of course correct, Scumbag .. my understanding corrected and OP now edited .. thanks.

Can the lease agreement/receipt from a hotel/guesthouse for a short duration satisfy that requirement for immigration?

I currently have a OA visa with a multiple entry re-entry permit. The visa actually expired in September, however the multiple entry reentry permit is good until December.

I work offshore and travel back and forth to the US frequently so I do not have a permanent address in Thailand.

Hey, typhoon42 .. I don't know, man, you might want to check with someone who knows this stuff.

My understanding is that the re-entry endorsement is merely an added feature to whatever visa it is attached, and valid only as long as the visa itself .. if your "O-A" Visa expired, your multiple re-entry endorsement might also be invalid.

You might have to return on something other than your expired "O-A" Visa .. if you intend to maintain retirement status, you might have to go again through the whole process to get a new "O-A" Visa.

I'd sure check this out with someone before returning .. could be a wrench in the drawworks for you.

Useful post.

The British embassy no longer issues income verification letters over the counter, same day service.  Applications now by post only - see here for the documentary requirements.  .

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

Used the service last April - verification letter received within a week.

I've never been asked for verification of address, but take along a current bank statement and have the last change of address acknowledgement stapled in my passport.

How do you pay the money.

Would they accept a cheque for £52 from a UK Bank.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

How do you pay the money.

Would they accept a cheque for £52 from a UK Bank.

Apparently not: the guidance note linked above indicates payment by credit card only.

Thank

Apparently not: the guidance note linked above indicates payment by credit card only.

Thanks. I just printed them off and haven't read them yet. I only have Thai Debit cards and they can only be used "in the shop".

I have a UK Credit card so perhaps i can pay in £s. I wjll read up on the instuctions.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Thank

Thanks. I just printed them off and haven't read them yet. I only have Thai Debit cards and they can only be used "in the shop".

Some banks (eg SCB) allows you to elect to be able to make online payments with their cards. Although you will need one that has a Visa or Mastercard symbol on it.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Don't think so.............maybe someone could try it and let us know?  555

Definitely no option at a land exit......as I found out.

Both BKK and DMK airports have a desk where you can get re-entry permits issued. I got a multiple re-entry permit  at BKK last year when I had a job offer and needed to catch a flight the next day with no time to go get one before hand.

I know in the past it was available 24/7. I think they moved the desk at BKK from when I did it (not sure though). You need to get it after airline check-in but BEFORE going through passport control and getting stamped out.

Since the visa expired your permission to stay date and the re-entry permit date should be the same. As long as you do a one year extension of stay before that date you're fine.

I have a UK Credit card so perhaps i can pay in £s. I wjll read up on the instuctions.

I paid with a UK VISA card - no probs.

• 4 weeks later...

Guess I ask this question here it seem as good as any?

I have been doing a Retirement Visa Extension for over 10 years, my Date each years ends and starts Feb 20th.

The problem right now is I might have to return to the U.S. to attend to some family matters in late November? Once I'm there I can't return unless I can be relieve to return to do my extension again which is highly unlikely.

I was wondering if it was possible to renew my Extension ( Pattaya/Jomtien) before I leave in November. In the past I've been told not before 30 days from my regular date Feb 20th, so I do not need to make a trip back just to return and then return to the U.S. thereafter?

I have no problem having the Date change?  Is it possible has anyone done it?

Thanks

Not possible unfortunately.

Max. 30 days before of expiration date of the extension of stay.

If not, one has to go through all the procedures  again.

Guess I ask this question here it seem as good as any?

I have been doing a Retirement Visa Extension for over 10 years, my Date each years ends and starts Feb 20th.

The problem right now is I might have to return to the U.S. to attend to some family matters in late November? Once I'm there I can't return unless I can be relieve to return to do my extension again which is highly unlikely.

I was wondering if it was possible to renew my Extension ( Pattaya/Jomtien) before I leave in November. In the past I've been told not before 30 days from my regular date Feb 20th, so I do not need to make a trip back just to return and then return to the U.S. thereafter?

I have no problem having the Date change?  Is it possible has anyone done it?

Thanks

I've done the Retirement Extension six weeks early at Jomtien before so the 30 days before is flexible but you're talking way more than that.

The best thing for you to do is get a single entry Non-O while you are in the US. That will make getting a new retirement extension as easy as doing it without the break. If you are using the money in the bank option you'll only need it in the bank two months since it will be a "first extension" since you had a break.

You could even apply for a Non-OA in the US if you don't mind doing the med cert and police report.

Can't remember which forum I saw someone post they were able to do the retirement extension several months early due to travel dates that had them outside Thailand when the extension was set to expire. They had to provide additional documentation as proof of need, but it was doable according to the poster.

Best advice, go to immigration and ask them.

Can't remember which forum I saw someone post they were able to do the retirement extension several months early due to travel dates that had them outside Thailand when the extension was set to expire. They had to provide additional documentation as proof of need, but it was doable according to the poster.

Best advice, go to immigration and ask them.

Ditto - I would certainly ask the question if I had proof of the reason, though the answer might vary according to whom you asked.

It might even be one of those times when it was worth paying an agent to wave his 'magic wand' over it.    :Think1:

Thanks everyone!

Prior to asking I had done a bit of research and all directions pointed to not being able to do it. As mentioned I have no problem if they change the date Feb 20th, to the time November and thereafter each year I will renew again in November. 

As noted, I'll go down to Jomtien Immigration and try to talk to people regarding my situation and get the final word first hand if possible. If necessary I would prefer to fly back for a week or two and have it done and then fly back.  I usually go to the Embassy for my letter have more than necessary each month that I do not need a letter from the bank.

Thanks again..

• 2 months later...

The retirement visa is a Non-Immigrant "O-A" visa rather than the bog standard Non-Immigrant "O" visa which allows stays of up to 90 days. Yeah, I know I am being anal.... :P

It might be a bog standard "O" good for 90 days but that is what I have, not an O-A.  It was obtained in country and extended for twelve months based on retirement in the last thirty days while I was still in Thailand. Unfortunately the part that says "O" is down there with all the squigally stuff with personal information so I'm not going to post a pic of that part.

visa-1.jpg

When they transferred the information and all the stamps for the subsequent years into my new passport they definitely wrote Non-"O" and put a retirement stamp right next to it. It may not be called a retirement visa now but I am retired on that and my annual one year extension to stay is based on that Non-Immigrant "O". If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck....?

There was an office at BKK airport where you could get a re-entry stamp in your passport a while ago, I have never heard of it being closed down.  Only thing there is that they charged a little bit more than the 1,000 baht that you can get one for in other immigration offices.

I got one back in 2008 at the airport as well and I think they charged me an extra 200 baht?.  They closed the office at Swampy for a period of time then reopened it again a few years ago.

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. John Stuart Mill
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/john_stuart_mill

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person

than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."  John Stuart Mill

Archived