Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

"You come too many time"

kane666

As the OP I thought I should give an update on my re-entry experience.

I had a 3 day trip to China for work and was expecting to be denied again on my return to Suvarnabhumi. I paid the extra to go through the premium lane as I thought better to have the argument in semi privacy.

Stamped through for another 30 days without a word.

Purely speculation but perhaps the guy that you spoke to on the previous entry made a note in the system or reset your entry count.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They can reset your entry count?!

I am dead against bribery, but I'd happily slip a few to immigration if they did me a solid like that.

They can reset your entry count?!

I am dead against bribery, but I'd happily slip a few to immigration if they did me a solid like that.

You should rethink your stance on bribery. You must not drive in Thailand.

I do and I far prefer paying the nice man in brown 200 Baht for speeding rather than the $300 in California and consequent increase in my insurance rates.

You should rethink your stance on bribery. You must not drive in Thailand.

I do and I far prefer paying the nice man in brown 200 Baht for speeding rather than the $300 in California and consequent increase in my insurance rates.

I drink too much to ever think about driving in Thailand, 555

I drink too much to ever think about driving in Thailand, 555

In that case you should really rethink your stance on bribery.

I have been getting 'looks' from immigration officials for several months now.  Finally one official explained to me that I had entered too many times without a visa.  I explained my situation to her:  I live here when I am not working but frequently travel outside Thailand for business.  She said she would make an entry in the system for me, but no guarantees.  She recommended getting a 1-year multiple which I am looking into.  Since that time the immigration official usually flips through the pages in my passport for an extended period of time and then gives me my 30 day stamp.  Once I was asked to show an onward ticket. 

Since April 20 I have entered Thailand without a visa on 4 occasions.  Two of the visits were 72 hours in duration.  On my last entry the official quickly gave me a 30 day stamp, but to be fair she was distracted (talking on her hand phone) so this may have helped me.

Although the red flag is computer generated, I think the immigration official has the final say otherwise I would not be allowed in.  Number of times entry is probably only part of it, the other part is the total time you spend here on a 30-day stamp during a given period.  I guess it is time to get that retirement visa so I can keep working.

They tried doing something similar to this several years ago, but the system was not computerized.  During that time I was sent to the immigration office where some poor sod had to look at all my stamps and add up all the days I had spent in Thailand on a 30 day over the past 90 day period. 

IMO this is all a result of some individuals abusing the system and creating problems for everyone else.  Often the case in life.

Gaee lao. mai law doi. Mai ben rai, mee daang!

Flew out last week to head back to Australia. Going through immigration took about 15 minutes with the immigration officer going through my passport and continually checking her screen. After 10 minutes the officer pressed a button underneath the countertop which I now know summonses a supervisor. For the next 5 minutes they both went through my passport checking it against the info on the screen. Somewhat heated exchange between them ensued until the supervisor said mai pen rai and the booth officer just gave me back my ticket and passport and waved me on.

I was mentally preparing myself to get a lecture about something from them. I approached the supervisor asking politely if there was any issue with my passport or my METV or if I had unknowlingly made some mistake over my visa runs in the last 6 months. Supervisor explained there were issues with a system upgrade and some information like my last entry into Thailand did not come up but my passport and visa were fine. Must admit I was very relieved at the time but might be interesting if my entry and exit stamps don't correspond again with what comes up on their screen when I fly back in next month.

It is strange as thailand is supposedly a main hub for many counties. I fly in and out fairly often as I live in Cambodia and visit other countries. I usually only stay in thailand for a few days on my way and on my way back.

Do you write on the arrival card you are just doing a transit?

I have been getting 'looks' from immigration officials for several months now.  Finally one official explained to me that I had entered too many times without a visa.  I explained my situation to her:  I live here when I am not working but frequently travel outside Thailand for business.  She said she would make an entry in the system for me, but no guarantees.  She recommended getting a 1-year multiple which I am looking into.  Since that time the immigration official usually flips through the pages in my passport for an extended period of time and then gives me my 30 day stamp.  Once I was asked to show an onward ticket. 

Since April 20 I have entered Thailand without a visa on 4 occasions.  Two of the visits were 72 hours in duration.  On my last entry the official quickly gave me a 30 day stamp, but to be fair she was distracted (talking on her hand phone) so this may have helped me.

Although the red flag is computer generated, I think the immigration official has the final say otherwise I would not be allowed in.  Number of times entry is probably only part of it, the other part is the total time you spend here on a 30-day stamp during a given period.  I guess it is time to get that retirement visa so I can keep working.

They tried doing something similar to this several years ago, but the system was not computerized.  During that time I was sent to the immigration office where some poor sod had to look at all my stamps and add up all the days I had spent in Thailand on a 30 day over the past 90 day period. 

IMO this is all a result of some individuals abusing the system and creating problems for everyone else.  Often the case in life.

Ironic, innit?

I have been getting 'looks' from immigration officials for several months now. Finally one official explained to me that I had entered too many times without a visa. I explained my situation to her: I live here when I am not working but frequently travel outside Thailand for business. She said she would make an entry in the system for me, but no guarantees. She recommended getting a 1-year multiple which I am looking into. Since that time the immigration official usually flips through the pages in my passport for an extended period of time and then gives me my 30 day stamp. Once I was asked to show an onward ticket.

Since April 20 I have entered Thailand without a visa on 4 occasions. Two of the visits were 72 hours in duration. On my last entry the official quickly gave me a 30 day stamp, but to be fair she was distracted (talking on her hand phone) so this may have helped me.

Although the red flag is computer generated, I think the immigration official has the final say otherwise I would not be allowed in. Number of times entry is probably only part of it, the other part is the total time you spend here on a 30-day stamp during a given period. I guess it is time to get that retirement visa so I can keep working.

They tried doing something similar to this several years ago, but the system was not computerized. During that time I was sent to the immigration office where some poor sod had to look at all my stamps and add up all the days I had spent in Thailand on a 30 day over the past 90 day period.

IMO this is all a result of some individuals abusing the system and creating problems for everyone else. Often the case in life.

Pretty bold move, entering the kingdom on a tourist visa but explaining to an immigration officer, "I live here"!

Pretty bold move,entering on a tourist visa but explaining to an immigration officer"I live here"!

Especially since that is what a large part of the crackdown is about...lol

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Pretty bold move, entering the kingdom on a tourist visa but explaining to an immigration officer, "I live here"!

Yeah, what the actual fuck? This is EXACTLY the reason why I'm stressed about legitimately using my visa exempt. I've NEVER extended one or done a visa run, nor stayed for the exact 30 days.

Yet some dude admits that he lives in Thailand ON HIS TOURIST VISAS.

>:(

Yeah, what the actual fuck? This is EXACTLY the reason why I'm stressed about legitimately using my visa exempt. I've NEVER extended one or done a visa run, nor stayed for the exact 30 days.

Yet some dude admits that he lives in Thailand ON HIS TOURIST VISAS.

>:(

Yes, and although this bothers some of you, it doesn't seem to bother Thai immigration.  Why?  Probably money.  I put a lot of money into the Thai economy and I am able to prove it.  Another reason is probably the fact I am actually here as a tourist.  I don't work here.  I never over-stay.   I don't jump back & forth between here & Cambodia in a single day to get another 30 day stamp.   In a single year, I do not spend most of my time here.  But I do spend more time here in a given year than any other country.  Here I live in a condo.  Outside of Thailand I live in hotels.

Thailand is like most countries.  Visitors are welcome as long as they pay their own way and obey the laws.  If the immigration laws change and I need a retirement visa, then that's what I'll do. 

Yes, and although this bothers some of you, it doesn't seem to bother Thai immigration.  Why?  Probably money.  I put a lot of money into the Thai economy and I am able to prove it.  Another reason is probably the fact I am actually here as a tourist.  I don't work here.  I never over-stay.   I don't jump back & forth between here & Cambodia in a single day to get another 30 day stamp.   In a single year, I do not spend most of my time here.  But I do spend more time here in a given year than any other country.  Here I live in a condo.  Outside of Thailand I live in hotels.

The fact that you are putting money into the economy is irrelevant. Also irrelevant is that you don't work in Thailand. You are residing in Thailand on schemes that are designed for tourists. You are not a tourist as you stated yourself...

I explained my situation to her:  I live here when I am not working but frequently travel outside Thailand for business. 

Your are living in Thailand in the same manner as you would in your own country.

Thailand is like most countries.  Visitors are welcome as long as they pay their own way and obey the laws.

No it isn't. Try doing what you are doing in Western countries and they will tell you very quickly that you are not welcome. In developed countries a tourist visa does not give you the right to reside in them even if you pay your own way and obey the laws.

Thailand is currently weeding out those who flaunt their visa systems.

This part you got right.  As for the rest, it is probably better not to assume Western logic is compatible with Thai logic.

But the fact remains, I was completely honest with them about what I am doing here and yet they are still allowing me to do it.

Obviously your views and their views on my status (for the moment at least) are completely different.  I don't care about your views.  Your views mean nothing.  As do mine.  The Thai Immigration's view is what counts.  Regardless of how long we stay here and/or how clever we think we are regarding Thailand, none of us will ever fully understand Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, so after reading this. I've done some research and asked some questions. Short answer is 6 trips for 12 month period. On American passport may be different for others. Once I asked about the duration of stay things got a little hairy.

Eighth trip to Thailand last month since May 2015. Duration was 25 days. Two of the other trips were 23 and 21 days. The remainder were between 5 and 10 days.

Always through fast track and have never had a single question raised by immigration.

Hopefully continues that way. Next trip in August for 14 days. Will post if I experience any issues. Travel on UK passport

:WhoSaw1: Darkling - who me?  :WhoSaw1:

I'm just a little confused (well no, not really)  but don't Thai immigration tell people who are taking the Mickey, with VE's to "Get VISA next time"?

Obviously, Thai Immigration are generally happy when someone presents, with a sparkling new visa in their passports...  It seems, some expats are less so...  the real question for me is "who cares what VISA Joe BLoggs is on?"..... not my business....  My business is to worry about MY circumstances, not those of others.

Gotta say this issue has me a little concerned regarding my personal circumstances & hopefully you guys can clarify.

I'm married to a Thai & we live in Oz. When in Thailand, I'm definitely a tourist (2 trips per year max). My last holiday I flew into Bangkok for a few days, then to China for a few days & returned, then to Laos (land crossing) for single day tour - total trip was less then 3 weeks.

But according to my understanding of the rules now being enforced, I  entered Thailand 3 times on this trip. So will I need a tourist visa if I come back again (for less than 2 weeks holiday) within 6 months?

10 days into my 30-day stamp, I went to Jomtien to apply for a 1 year multiple entry retirement visa.  I explained my situation to the Immigration officer as I had done in the airport and guess what happened 8 days later? 

Contrary to some people's belief, money does matter.

The fact that you are putting money into the economy is irrelevant. Also irrelevant is that you don't work in Thailand. You are residing in Thailand on schemes that are designed for tourists. You are not a tourist as you stated yourself...

Your are living in Thailand in the same manner as you would in your own country.

No it isn't. Try doing what you are doing in Western countries and they will tell you very quickly that you are not welcome. In developed countries a tourist visa does not give you the right to reside in them even if you pay your own way and obey the laws.

I wonder if the overriding objective of the recent crackdown really is "Good guys in and bad guys out" and the rules are just seen as the apparatus that gives them the power to enforce it... Meaning that the immigration officers are maybe given a bit of 'wriggle room' to apply a bit of personal judgement when it comes to enforcing the rules?

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Gotta say this issue has me a little concerned regarding my personal circumstances & hopefully you guys can clarify.

I'm married to a Thai & we live in Oz. When in Thailand, I'm definitely a tourist (2 trips per year max). My last holiday I flew into Bangkok for a few days, then to China for a few days & returned, then to Laos (land crossing) for single day tour - total trip was less then 3 weeks.

But according to my understanding of the rules now being enforced, I  entered Thailand 3 times on this trip. So will I need a tourist visa if I come back again (for less than 2 weeks holiday) within 6 months?

Safer to have a single entry TV.....but you could still be knocked back.

10 days into my 30-day stamp, I went to Jomtien to apply for a 1 year multiple entry retirement visa.  I explained my situation to the Immigration officer as I had done in the airport and guess what happened 8 days later? 

Contrary to some people's belief, money does matter.

Now you are comparing apples and oranges. I was on about the use a tourist visa scheme to reside in Thailand not an issue of them not wanting your money. Now that you have the correct visa for what you want to do you will have no issues.

I wonder if the overriding objective of the recent crackdown really is "Good guys in and bad guys out" and the rules are just seen as the apparatus that gives them the power to enforce it... Meaning that the immigration officers are maybe given a bit of 'wriggle room' to apply a bit of personal judgement when it comes to enforcing the rules?

I believe all immigration offices have some 'wriggle room' (perhaps they have no options if someone is flagged?). However it is not very clever to tell them that you are residing in Thailand on tourist visas at a time when it is apparent that they are targeting people who are abusing the visas to do just that.

I believe all immigration offices have some 'wriggle room' (perhaps they have no options if someone is flagged?). However it is not very clever to tell them that you are residing in Thailand on tourist visas at a time when it is apparent that they are targeting people who are abusing the visas to do just that.

It's certainly interesting how viewing things in different ways can present a different outlook without changing any material facts.

I concur that it's not a very smart strategy to basically give them an easy reason to deny you entry but I would say that viewing it through the 'overriding objective ' frame might help to understand some of the inconsistency illustrated in this thread as to how the rules have actually been applied.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Archived