Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Settlement or tourist Visa to UK?

bobbymack

Does anyone know if the A1 English test in Bangkok is just like the format as in the sample clips below?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if the A1 English test in Bangkok is just like the format as in the sample clips below? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74iTZweHSv8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-mQWCuL-LQ

I will ask wifey after work as she done her test last week

Does anyone know if the A1 English test in Bangkok is just like the format as in the sample clips below? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74iTZweHSv8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-mQWCuL-LQ

I have sent her the link and will let you know what she says

Thanks Lloydies, as if it is like that then should be no problem. cheers

Thanks Lloydies, as if it is like that then should be no problem. cheers

She said it was similar but not exactly the same but easy enough although a mate of mine in Leeds told me his wife took 3 tests before she passed but they probably couldn't understand her accent lol

what gets the girls most is the one to one with another girl on the test..

girl one asks girl 2 some thing in english  she then replies...

then its reversed..

this seems to be awkward for thais as they are shy to express there self in another language

So the test is not just the one-on-one examiner and the candidate as on the you-tube clip?

It is also a test of a candidate speaking to another? is there any reading or listening on a CD and marking answers on paper involved?

I thought the whole test was 16-18 minutes long?

Did your wife do at the landmark hotel through the British council in Bangkok?

cheers

The tourist Visa give you the option for her to experience the UK without to much outlay... she may fucking hate it as may you if you have been away ... most of us here are looking to get out not back in LOL 

What she is allowed to do while she is here is take the English test which I believe is better to do that in the UK not sure why but this was the advise I was given. One thing off the list.

on a more seriuos side it fucking hard work bringing a girl over .. you are out at work all day .. she is stuck in the house so you spend your evening and weekend doing as much as you can for her to take her out etc... trying to help her make friends .. get her familiar with things ... simplest things like english money etc where to shop , how not to get ripped off.. rules and regulations here in the UK that thailand just don't care about. Using public transport etc etc

you have to be prepared to put some serious graft here if you want this to work in the UK

its a massive learning curve for both parties. if she has never lived outside of thailand it is very tough..little things like her favorite food etc .. be prepared to spend a small fortune on thai ingredients here

Having had 2 Girlfriends over this is the approach I would take now with that knowledge ( unfortunately now I have been told doubtful I will never get another visa for a girlfriend again :-()

Tourist visa first see if she likes it here and feels she could live here . get the english test done.. if you are both happy with life in the UK.... return to thailand get the marry paperwork done and do the settlement visa. 

I cannot see any harm in saying you want a holiday in UK to see if she does like it this is the purpose of the visit. Make sure you have all the evidence of being together for the time you have photo's places you visited together, lease agreements, utility bills etc etc  with both names on ...bank transfer from your account to her's  and her family .. any holidays you have taken in side and outside of Thailand especially outside of the country. Messages to and from each other while you where at work phone calls etc 

Communication you had if you returned to the UK yourself etc in the last 3 years 

I don't think just a letter from the landlord will be enough

after the tourist tourist trip I recommend getting married in thailand as the divorce, if ever needed,  is easier to obtain and cheaper do not get a fiancee visa and marry in the UK if it doesn't work out you are in for a world of pain that's if you need to marry as you said you might be able to apply as a common law wife for settlement

So yes I would do tourist visa first as you say this would be an exploratory trip  to then return and do things formally. not sure saying for 6 months is a good idea but that is your call

Thanks for your input TTT. However, the problem I have is that I doubt a tourist visa will be granted as there is insufficient reason for her to return. i.e. no job, children or property to return to. She is coming back to UK to live with me, as we have been doing here in Thailand for the past few years. I have been working as a lawyer here in Thailand since 2013 and returning to work as a Solicitor in the UK again. This is why the only really appropriate visa is the settlement one.

My situation is not the usual where guys have had their girl visit them on tourist visas in the UK several times before making the move. As I say, we have already lived together for over 2 years. Of course, it is always difficult for Thais to adapt but she is quite self-reliant and does not rely heavily on friends. Everyone is different.

I would have preferred the 6 month visa to begin with but ironically I think it has less chance to succeed. The UK visa rules is their wisdom did not properly envisage my current situation. All these guys do at immigration is checking boxes and hence rarely have discretion. If one fits into the box then the visa is granted but if not then it is refused.

Not sure why you say that joint utility bills or lease agreement are essential? They are only examples of evidence. I don't have them even in my own name, living here in Thailand. Even in England I would unlikely have my girl's name on any utility bill. Most girls get their settlement visa having lived with their sponsor/partner in the UK rather than here in Thailand. I am not about to manufacture lease agreements as evidence when none exist in reality.

Immigration can see from my passport I have lived here with non imm B visa and work permit for the time and her passport corresponds with mine on visits overseas during the time.  

So the test is not just the one-on-one examiner and the candidate as on the you-tube clip?

It is also a test of a candidate speaking to another? is there any reading or listening on a CD and marking answers on paper involved?

I thought the whole test was 16-18 minutes long?

Did your wife do at the landmark hotel through the British council in Bangkok?

cheers

Her test was one on one with examiner.

She took test with IDP 

I think it was at Montien hotel in Bangkok

The test took about 20 mins.

Darren from Key Visa advised to use this company as apparently it is easier than the British Council test

http://www.ielts.idp.co.th/

Thanks for your input TTT. However, the problem I have is that I doubt a tourist visa will be granted as there is insufficient reason for her to return. i.e. no job, children or property to return to. She is coming back to UK to live with me, as we have been doing here in Thailand for the past few years. I have been working as a lawyer here in Thailand since 2013 and returning to work as a Solicitor in the UK again. This is why the only really appropriate visa is the settlement one.

My situation is not the usual where guys have had their girl visit them on tourist visas in the UK several times before making the move. As I say, we have already lived together for over 2 years. Of course, it is always difficult for Thais to adapt but she is quite self-sufficient and does not rely heavily on friends. Everyone is different.

I would have preferred the 6 month visa to begin with but ironically I think it has less chance to succeed. The UK visa rules is their wisdom did not properly envisage my current situation. All these guys do at immigration is checking boxes and hence rarely have discretion. If one fits into the box then the visa is granted but if not then it is refused.

Glad to here she is self sufficient that will be a huge help and bonus for you both... I used an agent to appraise the situation for my visa http://www.thaivisa-express.com/ great service and have UK bank account to transfer money etc if needed

if you would still like the option of tourist visa   it might be worth running it by them they do a free analysis of the situation and advise your chances of success. they did my last girlfriends visa and her daughter and it was granted .. .. in my eyes no real reason to return ... but we did say if was a for-run to the final settlement visa ... unfortunately she missed Thailand far to much and didn't work out 

Possible your grounds for return is that you intend to apply for settlement and you know that fucking up the tourist visa would end your chances for ever of both been in the UK later. and the relationship would be at an end after 3 years together   plus your a lawyer I think been a professional if you broke the rules changes it would damage your career as well.  just a thought :-)

but the best of luck to you both .. hope it all works out either way 

Thanks I will check with the visa company but I have tried to speak to another company twice (KeyVisa) and they never return my calls to talk about it. All I got was it was difficult! They would say that because they want you to use their services.

Surprised you got the tourist visa but then maybe your girl had property and a child (like you say) and therefore the boxes were ticked.

With the tourist visa I would also have to book return tickets to Thailand which would then work out no cheaper than the settlement visa in the long run.

Not sure whether I could be held to blame if on a tourist visa my girl went awol and disappeared one day while I was at work. Can't really keep her chained up at home can I? :)

Didn't know there was another provider for the A1 test in Bangkok. It wasn't mentioned on the UK home office site. It doesn't say how much it is? I couldn't find the cost?

The British council test was nearly THB 9,000

Thanks I will check with the visa company but I have tried to speak to another company twice (KeyVisa) and they never return my calls to talk about it. All I got was it was difficult! They would say that because they want you to use their services.

Surprised you got the tourist visa but then maybe your girl had property and a child (like you say) and therefore the boxes were ticked.

With the tourist visa I would also have to book return tickets to Thailand which would then work out no cheaper than the settlement visa in the long run.

Not sure whether I could be held to blame if on a tourist visa my girl went awol and disappeared one day while I was at work. Can't really keep her chained up at home can I? :)

My girl had 2 tourists visas thru Key Visa

Did you talk with Darren or Thai staff?

Didn't know there was another provider for the A1 test in Bangkok. It wasn't mentioned on the UK home office site. It doesn't say how much it is? I couldn't find the cost?

The British council test was nearly THB 9,000

Same price

8910 THB the price is on the website

I had exactly the same problem with KeyVisa  didn't get a response out of them even after I had paid a deposit .. believe they are good face to face but email and phone calls absolutely shite customer service from my experience eventually got my money back. thats how I ended up with tHaivisa express

I was surprised as well but Thai visa express analysed the case said we had a good chance .. and we got it.  she had no property ... no proper job . we had only met 3 times and also  we had been holiday abroad to turkey ( thai don't need visa for there) . That is why I used an agent because the cases you think will get a visa don't seem to but yet another case which would think had little chance goes through.. presentation plays a big part .. putting the info in order with an index in good folder make the immigration job easy to find the info he needs  ... you know this from pulling info together for cases I would imagine 

Tony and Paul are extremely helpful  from thaivisa express save me a massive headache you may be able to trade some service legal work if money is a concern :-)

Thai Visa Express  | OISC F200700163

UK Visa Applications | Australian Visa Applications

Web site :  www.thaivisa-express.com

Our Blog  : Thai Visa Express News

Email :[email protected]

Telephone : 0066-801022328

Telephone: 0066-038420314

Her test was one on one with examiner.

She took test with IDP 

I think it was at Montien Hotel in Bangkok

The test took about 20 mins.

Darren from Key Visa advised to use this company as apparently it is easier than the British Council test

http://www.ielts.idp.co.th/

I am an IELTS Life Skills examiner, and I would be happy to answer direct questions about the test by PM, or on this thread.

IDP and the British Council in Bangkok run exactly the same tests and use the same IELTS materials.  They also both have to be marked by the common IELTS criteria.  Every test must have 2 candidates and one examiner.  Every test is videoed for UKVI security standards.  The BC run the test at the Landmark hotel, while the IDP test is at CP Tower, Silom.  I would also recommend taking it at IDP, but that's only because I'm biased!

Only Speaking and Listening skills are assessed. Grammar/vocab/pronunciation only need to be basic, but in order to pass the candidate must communicate with both the examiner and the other candidate.  Many fail, not because of their English, but because they were unable to communicate effectively.

In a dilemma as to which visa to apply for. The circumstances are that I am a UK citizen and have been working here in Thailand for the past 3 years and wish to return to England to re-settle and work there again. I have known my Thai girlfriend for 3 years and she has been living with me (as common-law wife) for 2 and a half years here in Thailand. (I have letter from landlord as evidence). Although I do not have job yet arranged in UK, I can show savings of more than the £62,500, which I understand is required to show funds without a job. My predicament is that I don't want to pay the near £1000 for 2 year settlement visa and go through all the other complications such as English test and TB test, if it will likely be refused. However, if we apply for the 6 month tourist visa the conditions are different because we have to show reasons to return to Thailand. Of course, the intention in reality is that we return to the UK so that I can get a job and she stays as my 'wife' and we live together as we have been doing for the past 2 and half years here in Thailand. What are people’s views on this? My feeling is that Is it best to go for the tourist visa initially and write in the statement that the intention is to see how we like being in England for 6 months and then return to Thailand after this time to then apply for a Settlement visa? Or to just apply for the Settlement visa first on the basis of our more than 2 years living together as partners?

In some respects the Settlement visa is easier to get if you can definitely meet the financial requirements and successfully demonstrate that you can.  Obviously it's more expensive and requires the A1 Life Skills test pass, TB test and NHS surcharge.  But as long as you can prove that you are in a proper (common law if not married) relationship, it is easier to get because there is no need to give a reason to return to Thailand.

I would be very careful about applying for a Visitor Visa if there is any indication in the application that she intends to settle in the UK.  Also applying for 6 months is risky, even though, if issued, the visa will be valid for 6 months.  Taking 6 months for a "holiday" is unusual! If you go down the Visitor Visa route I would apply for about one month, which is long enough for her to find out if she likes the UK and would want to, eventually, settle there.

My GF got a Marriage Visitor Visa as we are marrying in the UK, but not settling there, as at the moment, we live (and I work) in Thailand.  We spent 14 days in the UK last month, which was long enough for her to decide she likes it and would be happy to settle there (we have a 1 year old son, who is British).  We're going back in August for the wedding (but only staying 2 weeks).  She will apply for the Settlement Visa in a year or so.

If you decide to use an agent I would recommend ThaiVisa Express (ask for Paul), but I've also heard some good things about Key Visa.

I have booked with British Council so can't change as I paid on-line.

Brewster, do you know what time the test starts, as the website says am? but no time. I would like to fit in the TB test at the hospital in the same day if possible. I phoned the BC but got the usual Thai response of don't know. Their English was poor.

I am surprised you say many fail the test when on the you tube videos of the test, even the basic communicators are passing, so it says, from the Trinity course.

I have booked with British Council so can't change as I paid on-line.

Brewster, do you know what time the test starts, as the website says am? but no time. I would like to fit in the TB test at the hospital in the same day if possible. I phoned the BC but got the usual Thai response of don't know. Their English was poor.

I am surprised you say many fail the test when on the you tube videos of the test, even the basic communicators are passing, so it says, from the Trinity course.

I can't speak for the BC as I work for IDP.  But the IDP tests start at 10am and then every 30 minutes thereafter.  If she was doing the test at IDP she would be sent a date/time/directions. I would imagine the BC should do the same!

One of the reasons some fail, apart from a general lack of communication, is because they get 2-3 of the Listening questions wrong.  There are only 3 questions, but it's important that they get at least 2 correct, or it can be difficult to pass.

A sample paper is here:

https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/IELTS%20Life%20Skills%20-%20Sample%20Paper%20A%20Level%20A1.pdf

seems odd to me that they would have a system which puts two candidates together who may have different levels of English. If they are vastly different one may use greater vocabulary and outwit the other (not necessarily on purpose) and then the whole dialogue would just be stilted. Being Thai, one or other may lose face and just clam up.  

The BC said they would send another email 3 days before with a time, but it gives me less time then to book the TB test.

I saw the you tube video of the sample paper you linked to but only one candidate was being questioned and not two. Perhaps you use two to get through all the candidates quickly?  

I saw the you tube video of the sample paper you linked to but only one candidate was being questioned and not two. Perhaps you use two to get through all the candidates quickly?

I didn't post the YouTube video so I can't comment. But I can assure you that IELTS Life Skills A1 (and B1) requires two candidates to be tested at the same time. If there is only one candidate present, we have to use a member of staff to act as a "dummy" candidate. The reason there has to be two is that the examiner is looking at interaction skills between the candidates. It's not just a language test. Eye contact, gestures and politeness (e.g. turn-taking) are part of the assessment. If one candidate is a much higher level (which does happen) she often helps the lower level candidate!

It still seems odd to me that if one candidate is much better at English than another and uses a greater range of vocabulary then the weaker one is going to feel like they have failed and therein deterioration in their ability sets in. I was under the impression that the test was set to a certain standard. If one out of the two has a higher standard then it seems a little unfair.

You can test interaction, politeness etc with just one examiner.

Seems like a design flaw to me, but then that is commonplace in British Administrative law.

The Life in the UK was also a complete joke. I read one of the papers once which had questions such as "How many Muslims reside in the UK? Answers: 10%, 11% or 12%. Multiple choice with such percentages so close it was absurd and requiring guesswork. I only just passed it myself. :)

It still seems odd to me that if one candidate is much better at English than another and uses a greater range of vocabulary then the weaker one is going to feel like they have failed and therein deterioration in their ability sets in. I was under the impression that the test was set to a certain standard. If one out of the two has a higher standard then it seems a little unfair.

You can test interaction, politeness etc with just one examiner.

Seems like a design flaw to me, but then that is commonplace in British Administrative law.

The Life in the UK was also a complete joke. I read one of the papers once which had questions such as "How many Muslims reside in the UK? Answers: 10%, 11% or 12%. Multiple choice with such percentages so close it was absurd and requiring guesswork. I only just passed it myself. :)

Not really, as when in the UK they will have to communicate and interact with native speakers who will be a much higher level. The test was designed by IELTS & Cambridge University and was called 'Skills for Life' before winning the exclusive contract from UKVI for all tests outside the UK. It's certainly not perfect but anyone with a basic level of English, the confidence to try to communicate and some interaction/social skills should pass.

Archived