IGNORED

Settlement or tourist Visa to UK?

bobbymack

In a dilemma as to which visa to apply for.

The circumstances are that I am a UK citizen and have been working here in Thailand for the past 3 years and wish to return to England to re-settle and work there again. I have known my Thai girlfriend for 3 years and she has been living with me (as common-law wife) for 2 and a half years here in Thailand. (I have letter from landlord as evidence). Although I do not have job yet arranged in UK, I can show savings of more than the £62,500, which I understand is required to show funds without a job.

My predicament is that I don't want to pay the near £1000 for 2 year settlement visa and go through all the other complications such as English test and TB test, if it will likely be refused.

However, if we apply for the 6 month tourist visa the conditions are different because we have to show reasons to return to Thailand. Of course, the intention in reality is that we return to the UK so that I can get a job and she stays as my 'wife' and we live together as we have been doing for the past 2 and half years here in Thailand.

What are people’s views on this? My feeling is that Is it best to go for the tourist visa initially and write in the statement that the intention is to see how we like being in England for 6 months and then return to Thailand after this time to then apply for a Settlement visa? Or to just apply for the Settlement visa first on the basis of our more than 2 years living together as partners?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you plan to stay medium to long term you really need to get the proper visa rather than stuffing around with tourist visas. With a settlement visa she can work and contribute to living costs. It is better for her own self-worth as well.

I don't know how long they take to process but if it is a long wait you could explore getting her a tourist visa while it is being processed. I don't know if the UK will allow this but it's worth checking.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

BTW you don't need the language test for a settlement Visa, that's for Citizenship. If you can prove how long you've been living and working there with her I can't see you having a problem getting either Visa but I would go for the one you ultimately require first as the Consulates are concerned about people applying for a visitors Visa and then trying to marry the lady while in the UK.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

In a dilemma as to which visa to apply for. The circumstances are that I am a UK citizen and have been working here in Thailand for the past 3 years and wish to return to England to re-settle and work there again. I have known my Thai girlfriend for 3 years and she has been living with me (as common-law wife) for 2 and a half years here in Thailand. (I have letter from landlord as evidence). Although I do not have job yet arranged in UK, I can show savings of more than the £62,500, which I understand is required to show funds without a job. My predicament is that I don't want to pay the near £1000 for 2 year settlement visa and go through all the other complications such as English test and TB test, if it will likely be refused. However, if we apply for the 6 month tourist visa the conditions are different because we have to show reasons to return to Thailand. Of course, the intention in reality is that we return to the UK so that I can get a job and she stays as my 'wife' and we live together as we have been doing for the past 2 and half years here in Thailand. What are people’s views on this? My feeling is that Is it best to go for the tourist visa initially and write in the statement that the intention is to see how we like being in England for 6 months and then return to Thailand after this time to then apply for a Settlement visa? Or to just apply for the Settlement visa first on the basis of our more than 2 years living together as partners?

Imo they won't issue her a tourist visa without good proof that she will return to Thailand within 6 months.

Go for the settlement visa, it will probably be cheaper in the long run.

Ask someone like Darren at Key Visa for advice (advice if free and from someone who knows the ins and outs better)

If you plan to stay medium to long term you really need to get the proper visa rather than stuffing around with tourist visas. With a settlement visa she can work and contribute to living costs. It is better for her own self-worth as well.

I don't know how long they take to process but if it is a long wait you could explore getting her a tourist visa while it is being processed. I don't know if the UK will allow this but it's worth checking.

Bangkok process 91% of settlement visas within 15 days 

https://visa-processingtimes.homeoffice.gov.uk/y/bangkok-thailand/settlement-visas/settlement

BTW you don't need the language test for a settlement Visa, that's for Citizenship. If you can prove how long you've been living and working there with her I can't see you having a problem getting either Visa but I would go for the one you ultimately require first as the Consulates are concerned about people applying for a visitors Visa and then trying to marry the lady while in the UK.

You do need a language test for settlement visa

You do need a language test for settlement visa

Thanks for that, obviously changed their policy since I last looked into it!

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Thanks for that, obviously changed their policy since I last looked into it!

You need A1 for settlement

You need to take B1 when they are actually in UK and half way thru the 5 year process

(I think I have understood it correctly)

Thanks so much guys!

I think the cost of single flights and the settlement visa fee will be about the same as two return air fares. Just a concern that paying £950 and then being refused is daunting.

I have tried to find out what the A1 English test entails but struggling to find examples on the internet. Does anyone know what the standard is and whether it is just a short oral test or is it written?

I can't believe it will be that difficult with all these Muslim women being let into the UK without understanding a word of English 

Thanks so much guys!

I think the cost of single flights and the settlement visa fee will be about the same as two return air fares. Just a concern that paying £950 and then being refused is daunting.

I have tried to find out what the A1 English test entails but struggling to find examples on the internet. Does anyone know what the standard is and whether it is just a short oral test or is it written?

I can't believe it will be that difficult with all these Muslim women being let into the UK without understanding a word of English 

My missus asked Darren face to face if he thought she would pass the test, his reply was if she could understand me and him talking she would be fine.

Have a read here....

http://www.ielts.idp.co.th/

https://www.britishcouncil.or.th/en/exam/ielts-uk-visa-immigration

https://www.keyvisathailand.com/uk-settlement-visa-ket-a1-english-test/

Call Darren, he won't charge you for advice over the phone.

Btw it is a oral and written test done on same day at same test centre

Lloydies, so is the A1 test just speaking and listening as it seems to suggest on the official websites, though you have said that it is also a written test? i.e. listening to multiple choice questions and choosing an answer?

Unfortunately the example tests on the IELTS site have been removed

Lloydies, so is the A1 test just speaking and listening as it seems to suggest on the official websites, though you have said that it is also a written test? i.e. listening to multiple choice questions and choosing an answer?

Having just reread both websites I believe it is only speaking & listening.

Sorry for any confusion altho I did think that written was involved.

''Common law wife'' has no legal recognition in English law; don't know if that's relevant or will affect your application though.

''Common law wife'' has no legal recognition in English law; don't know if that's relevant or will affect your application though.

My quick bit of research indicates this is not relevant to the issue being discussed.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Yes, "common law wife" has no legal recognition but is just a convenient term as partners who have been living together for more than two years "as if they were husband and wife" and which is required to satisfy the condition for applying for a settlement visa

This link is trinity college in the UK, which does all the tests, cant say if it is different in Thai, as we did my wifes in the UK but it will give you an idea of whats expected

http://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=3367

If it is like that in Bangkok the wife will piss it.

She can speak better English than the examiner

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but I think the UK settlement visa is now £1200 and you will also have to pay a £600 supplement towards NHS costs.

Also note that if she enters on a UK visitor visa you can't apply for settlement once she is here. She will not be allowed to stay as your common low wife. She will be required to leave before her visa expires.

It's really pissing me off at the moment as I'm in a similar position but I am married. She will need TB test and A1 English test which is speaking and listening only.

The ridicules thing is that any member of the EU can come and work in the UK and under EU law and freedom of movement can legally bring their wife in from anywhere in the world under a family permit. Cost for this is free and they can stay 5 years, they don't need TB test and don't have to take English exam. Different rules for UK citizens in our own country and I thought we were in the EU together. They can also apply to stay at the end of five years at a cost of £0 compared to a charge of £1800 for the wife of a UK citizen!!!

I'm a second class EU citizen in my own country.

If you are married there is a route called the Surinder Signh methods with means you go and live somewhere else in the EU for 3 months. As you are a EU citizen your wife would then legally be able to join you there and apply free of charge for a family permit to enter the UK. You have to be married though and the government is trying to close down this route and we may also not be in the EU in three months.

Sorry but I think the UK settlement visa is now £1200 and you will also have to pay a £600 supplement towards NHS costs.

It's really pissing me off at the moment as I'm in a similar position but I am married. She will need TB test and A1 English test which is speaking and listening only.

The ridicules thing is that any member of the EU can come and work in the UK and under EU law and freedom of movement can legally bring their wife in from anywhere in the world under a family permit. Cost for this is free and they can stay 5 years, they don't need TB test and don't have to take English exam. Different rules for UK citizens in our own country and I thought we were in the EU together. They can also apply to stay at the end of five years at a cost of £0 compared to a charge of £1800 for the wife of a UK citizen!!!

I'm a second class EU citizen in my own country.

If you are married there is a route called the Surinder Signh methods with means you go and live somewhere else in the EU for 3 months. As you are a EU citizen your wife would then legally be able to join you there and apply free of charge for a family permit to enter the UK. You have to be married though and the government is trying to close down this route and we may also not be in the EU in three months.

I think everythinmg you said is spot on

If the application is unsuccessful... do you lose the visa money £1000+   ?

If the application is unsuccessful... do you lose the visa money £1000+ ?

Yes you loose the £1200 but the £600 NHS supplement is returned to you.

No more work for them than a standard visitor visa but 12 times the charge and a lot to loose.

If OP was married, in theory the settlement visa should be easy if he has the £62,500 in his bank account for a minimum of 6 months. (Premium bonds also count as savings, it's not just cash in the bank).

If the application is unsuccessful... do you lose the visa money £1000+   ?

Consider your self lucky. The equivalent Australian visa is about £3500! You don't get that back if it is unsuccessful either.

Archived