Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

7 minutes ago, davidge said:

Finally tried the Fat Bunny in Jomtien today.

good find , I will try in 6 weeks time

• 2 weeks later...

The Gold Monkey Café & Bar has a 99 baht Sunday Roast:

The Gold Monkey Café & Bar is located on Soi Chaiyaphruek, near Jomtien Beach Road.

The Gold Monkey Café & Bar has a 4.4 out of 5 rating on Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gold+Monkey+Café+%26+Bar/@12.9014705,100.8621387,14z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x310297c6eb65ef35:0xb72456b1db4896b5!8m2!3d12.8773747!4d100.8856615!16s%2Fg%2F11fcs_3ptj?entry=ttu

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a takeaway from Hideaway on Soi 15 of the Yellow Fin Sole Meunière, and I went with the mash and peas as pictured in the menu for the sides. It came in at 265 baht. The fish and sauce was quite tasty, fish obviously was floured and pan-fried in butter, nice lemony taste to the sauce so pretty much what was expected. Mash was quite buttery and the peas were peas. Overall it tasted pretty good, and the portion was also hefty enough I felt I got my money's worth. The package weighed in at 622 grams, packaging was 17 so that leaves 605 grams worth of food. Perhaps half the weight was in the spuds, but there were nine two bite pieces of fish filet and a lot more peas than I would normal serve myself at one sitting. In any case I'd probably order that again if I was thinking what I really want is Sole Meunière, but I don't know with all the choices to eat in Pattaya if I'll have that as a craving.

hideaway fish 1.jpg

hideaway fish 2.jpg

I know I’m late to the party but a couple from my trip end of January.. back over September so will stick a few more up..

First up Taco Taco on a Tuesday for 60b a taco. Location ideal as I stay at the D hotel so a 5 min stroll up the Soi behind hotel. Always go for soft taco but was feeling “adventurous” so went hard taco. Personally I won5 go hard taco again complain in the rear end to eat or maybe I’m just a slob.. 

180b all in and I would highly recommend, I remember when she had the stall at Tony’s gym on Buekow. Good to see her still going strong 

7C66FDB0-88D4-4907-AC08-D80C34E958A0.png

A6D41C41-27EE-431F-B0CB-1328E35A5A51.png

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Next up and i know it’s a cart but it really is the best in town and majorly tasty.. his cart is in front of the 7/11 on Soi 15 and he doesn’t move. Opens at 4pm and closes when it’s all gone… I know that’s how carts work 😂😂

He doesn’t open on a Tuesday which is a pain as when over every 5 months or so I golf Tuesdays and Fridays and then head to Mandala bar for a few cold ones and we get a bowl or two from the cart. Very fresh, tasty and a big portion of pork for 100b. Photo was taken after I ate some…greedy,impatient git me 

A recommendation for anyone in the area and he’s a nice bloke.

No photos but I do like the loft for some lunch after golf out by the  lake..

398D7A76-08AC-4CA7-B086-DE2B7B369D9E.png

0D6C6A87-CD1B-4B08-AFF0-6A7437535143.png

Edited by Clem Fandango

2 hours ago, Clem Fandango said:

Next up and i know it’s a cart but it really is the best in town and majorly tasty.. his cart is in front of the 7/11 on Soi 15 and he doesn’t move. Opens at 4pm and closes when it’s all gone… I know that’s how carts work 😂😂

He doesn’t open on a Tuesday which is a pain as when over every 5 months or so I golf Tuesdays and Fridays and then head to Mandala bar for a few cold ones and we get a bowl or two from the cart. Very fresh, tasty and a big portion of pork for 100b. Photo was taken after I ate some…greedy,impatient git me 

No photos but I do like the loft for some lunch after golf out by the  lake..

398D7A76-08AC-4CA7-B086-DE2B7B369D9E.png

Love crispy pork, but not "western"

In any event, you should post about the cart in this thread - another BM looking for great suggestions like this!

4 hours ago, Clem Fandango said:

Yes, he's a good guy. My ex and I call him sexy man. For awhile during covid, his wife worked with him too, also a sexy person. 

2 hours ago, frantick said:

Yes, he's a good guy. My ex and I call him sexy man. For awhile during covid, his wife worked with him too, also a sexy person. 

Frank, hope your well. 

yeah he’s a nice dude. Haven’t seen his wife but he does come into Mandala for a couple beers now and then. 

He a smart guy. 

14 hours ago, Srirachapocalypse said:

I had a takeaway from Hideaway on Soi 15

From top to bottom I find food at The Hideaway excellent.

I usually choose the green salad has one of my sides. Big and fresh and healthy.

Lots of good menu  choices under 300 b

Edited by AngelCty2Nit

I just sit back and relax - I've earned it.

2 hours ago, AngelCty2Nit said:

The only thing that I've had there I really didn't care for was the ribs, which is sort of ironic since the full name on the menu and web is The Rib Shack @ The Hideaway, but that was probably due to my American Southwest palette with regional bbq sauce preferences.  Very much akin to discussions of likes/dislkes about British foods like fish & chips with my UK friends, when I cannot tell the difference beyond breaded or battered. Everything else I've had has been good to very good, and the reviews from an occasional dining companion that the Thai food is tasty but too expensive, and they were not happy rice was an extra charge of 40 baht. I pointed out they paid extra for rice at a food cart the previous meal - reply was is fast food and you get extra charge for fries at burger places or part of combo so not same situation. Then pointed out potato came with my meal here rice should come with their meal. So not wanting a repeat of that conversation I have not brought said dining companion back, which might have meant I've gone elsewhere a few times I might have ended up at Hideaway. All over 40 baht bleh ..... A different Thai food only dining companion was quite happy with her garlic stirfry with shrimp and didn't seem at all miffed the rice was extra.

2 hours ago, AngelCty2Nit said:

I usually choose the green salad has one of my sides. Big and fresh and healthy.

Lots of good menu  choices under 300 b

Yes the food is excellent at Hideaway  ! 

They will make soon ,or now ,a bigger  kitchen  more appropriate for the big demand and maybe adding more dishes on the menu. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meal: Chicken Tikka Masala with Turmeric Rice

Cost: 69 Baht

Not from a restaurant, but from 7/11, and I think worth a mention, it's very tasty, with decent sized chunks of chicken breast, and mildly spiced, so it's good for people like me that can't eat hot chili dishes. You can obviously add your own favorite chili sauce if you like spicy food.

Tastes better than a lot of curries I've had in some Indian restaurants previously.

IMG_0803.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

Edited by Farangkie

2 minutes ago, Farangkie said:

Not from a restaurant, but from 7/11, and I think worth a mention, it's very tasty, with decent sized chunks of chicken breast, and mildly spiced, so it's good for people like me that can't eat hot chili dishes. You can obviously add your own favorite chili sauce if you like spicy food.

Tastes better than a lot of curries I've had in some Indian restaurants previously.

IMG_0803.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

When I see these in seven I always grab a couple and put them in the fridge for later I always add a few drops of Franks pepper sauce very decent for 69 baht 

22 hours ago, Clem Fandango said:

... Always go for soft taco but was feeling “adventurous” so went hard taco. Personally I won5 go hard taco again complain in the rear end to eat or maybe I’m just a slob... 

[You gotta' really love Mexican cuisine to tolerate this sort of post.. just pass on it, if you don't.]

Naw, naw, Clem .. not a slob, no .. you are a victim .. the hard taco shell is a cruel bastardization perpetrated on authentic Mexican tacos by impractical, stylish Americans seeking to create trends .. California Americans, to be specific, as I understand.

[Sorry, you California-Mex dudes.. hold your nose and take your medicine.]

Hard shell tacos found their way down to Texas, where I lived, through Taco Bell and Jack-In-The-Box chains sometime in the 70s .. both are California chains.

Down that way, Texans favor a Tex-Mex style of regional Mexican cuisine, which is much closer to traditional Mexican fare than the novel California-Mex creations.

I will admit, the only reason we tolerated the hard shell version was that they were available in the late, late night hours at Jack-In-The-Box drive-throughs as a cheap 1.00a snack on the way home after a night out.. I gotta' concede .. eeee-yummers!

Jack-In-The-Box hard shell tacos were naaaaasty greasy enough that the grease dripped through to the bottom of the hard shell and softened the bend in the shell enough that it would fold over without cracking, and you could eat it while driving without being .. a slob.

Don't let those stylish California dudes trick you, Clem, hard taco shells are mutant Mexican cuisine .. (Mexican-Americans down in the Rio Grand Valley claim they might even cause impotency! .. 555) .. authentic, authentic Mexican tacos are served in a soft corn tortilla, and the more modern Mexican version in a soft flour tortilla.. way easier to eat.

Do the soft tortilla next time .. otherwise, just chop it up in a bowl and make a taco salad out of it.

[Footnote:  just incidentally, taco salad originated in Texas at about the time the California hard shell tacos arrived .. probably all by accident, out of necessity .. 555]

For those who are not from America's Southwest, the debate between fans of California-Mex, and Tex-Mex, and Arizona-Mex, and Mex-Mex is a war without end.

Edited by brutox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

14 minutes ago, brutox said:

Do the soft tortilla next time .. otherwise, just chop it up in a bowl and make a taco salad out of it

Haha my pal said the exact same he’s from southern Cali.. he said it’s soft or go fuck your Mama. 
He has such a way with words.

Will be visiting Taco Taco in 11 weeks for some and a few margaritas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Farangkie said:

IMG_0803.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

Problem is the minuscule portion, means you need a minimum of two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clem Fandango said:

Haha my pal said the exact same he’s from southern Cali.. he said it’s soft or go fuck your Mama. 
He has such a way with words.

Will be visiting Taco Taco in 11 weeks for some and a few margaritas. 

From California and I concur with the overall results of the assessment from the esteemed gentleman from Texas, and the suggestion from your friend from SoCal is a bit extreme but certainly not without merit. Hard shell tacos like you find at Taco Bell, Jack In The Box & Del Taco are just fast food, not representative of Cali-Mex which is more influenced by fresh veggies, Baja cuisine like fish tacos and an overkill of avocado everything 555. I go with soft corn tacos as a general practice. From my perspective large flour tortillas are for burritos, and the small flour are fine for baja style street tacos. those mid-sized flour tortillas are best served as quesadillas. The occasional hard shell is okay with ground beef, and if there is enough sauce to soften it some before it becomes shrapnel on your first bite. And yes crumbled up hard shell tortillas make an acceptable taco salad, but I'd think the best use of the hard shell is to keep your fingers from getting greasy while you dump the fillings into a bag half filled with fritos. Can use the shells then like chips to scoop up salsa and guac, which is what crispy corn tortillas are best at.

And Jack In The Box faux-tacos are are a serious guilty pleasure, I know every fiber of my being is supposed to hate them, but they are really tasty late night.

I was happy overall with my recent trip to Taco Taco but the portions are pretty small, next time I'd order 5 not 3 tacos, and would not repeat on the side of beans.

Edited by Srirachapocalypse
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Leo_Bia said:

Problem is the minuscule portion, means you need a minimum of two.

Yes, not a large portion, but as I'm currently trying to lose weight, that suits me fine at the moment.

On 24/06/2023 at 15:04, Farangkie said:

Ha! I was just looking at this and opted for a so so "spaghetti". Will give it a try. 

Fried rice with chicken and garlic:

IMG_3213.jpeg

Noodles with chicken and ginger:

IMG_3214.jpeg

Delivered to my door by the restaurant downstairs in the condo.

250 baht in total.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Nicky’s on Buakhao is currently runnin a Lamb Casserole special for 265 baht. I got that as a takeaway the other night and it was exceptionally tasty, and the portion was massive. It was easily two meals for me. I liked that it was packed in two containers where the Yorkshire Pudding and Mash were in one container, and the lamb stew was in another so the Yorkshire wasn't soggy when I got it home. The meatball looking things in the stew container are dumplings.

nickys lamb casserole.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not an actual restaurant, but something you can eat for breakfast/lunch/before bed

Tops Central Pattaya
Salami & Cheese Sandwitch (Next to their bakery and salad bar) 140,- baht (Correct me if wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was what I paid for it)

I've never had a sandwich like that. Bread was amazing, clearly freshly baked. Salami was amazing, and I'm not a fan of salami. Good cheese.  I think there was some sort of dressing on it?
No pictures sadly. My thai girl got it to eat before bed, and she was all hyped up when she tasted it, and I had to try it. 
Sad I did not get one for myself

Edited by komplot
  • Like 3

Last week I went to Witherspoons for the Monday pie special for 229 baht. I had the chicken and mushroom pie with mash and garden peas. I really enjoyed it. The pie was very tasty, mash was nice with no lumps and the peas nice and soft. Gravy good also. Sorry, no photo.

22 hours ago, spiderman said:

Last week I went to Witherspoons for the Monday pie special for 229 baht. I had the chicken and mushroom pie with mash and garden peas. I really enjoyed it. The pie was very tasty, mash was nice with no lumps and the peas nice and soft. Gravy good also. Sorry, no photo.

Totally agree, I am a regular on Monday for pie, pints of draught lager very reasonable too. 

• Like 2