IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

Go there and you'll see, there is some dishes at under 300 baht.

But that is not the point of this thread is it ?

Go there and you'll see, there is some dishes at under 300 baht.

you will find that he is always trying to be a jerk, especially on food threads.   Little dick syndrome, never posts pics of his meals but always cuts down people that do post.   you are right when reading the thread title.   that place has many great dishes under 300 baht.   just ignore he, I usually do

you will find that he is always trying to be a jerk, especially on food threads.   Little dick syndrome, never posts pics of his meals but always cuts down people that do post.   you are right when reading the thread title.   that place has many great dishes under 300 baht.   just ignore he, I usually do

Excuse me ?

• 2 months later...
On 12.8.2016 at 3:34 AM, jpmelville said:

I have to recommend the place I have eaten many times in Patts. As a Finn I like to support my homies places. This one have the biggest portions I have seen in Pattaya and they have even the guarantee on some dishes that if you're still hungry after finishing your meal, you get another one for free. Besides the portions sizes, the food is delicious also.

It's called Maikan Majatalo(Teacher's Guesthouse). It's on Soi Yume behing the 3rd road Big C, kinda of beaten path, but hey sometimes you have to explore Pattaya. Just turn to the east from Pattaya Klang after the Big C, drive about 300m and when you see the sign with Finnish flag, turn left and you're there.

On high season they have the quiz on Thursday from 7pm, so that's a bad time to visit as the place is totally full of people. They have also sauna on Saturdays with some bbq 100bht for people who are not the guests of the guesthouse. Good value still, but bear in mind there will be a lot of naked Finnish dudes :D

Here is the map:

maikkamap.jpg

...and that's what the storefront looks like:

maikanfront.jpg

All the dishes fall under 300bht as the most expensive filet mignon dishes are 290bht. Unfortunately I have only one pic representing the dishes, which is the sirloin steak with bacon potatoes I ate there for 240bht(believe me I wasn't hungry after that):

IMG_10991.jpg

Here is the medley of pics from their website(sorry only in Finnish, but you get the picture of the portions): http://maikanmajatalo.com/ravintola.html

And here is the full menu(also in English): http://maikanmajatalo.com/images/menu.pdf

They have a variety of Thai food too if you're with you companion of the night. Some Thai birds want it big:

maikkaplate.JPG

In the high season you can buy the cold smoked products from there like salmon, pork and even cheese.

This place have changed the owner. No menu available as they are building the new website. New owner is not a newbie what comes to restaurant business, He is actually guy who made/make all those smoked products. This could mean the portions may shrink a little bit but the taste might be even better.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, any good new Asian food places you have found?? 

Japanese, Korean etc. 

No buffet places !

And miss evils reviews 

Edited by wogggy

• 2 months later...
On 19/04/2017 at 6:40 PM, jpmelville said:

This place have changed the owner. No menu available as they are building the new website. New owner is not a newbie what comes to restaurant business, He is actually guy who made/make all those smoked products. This could mean the portions may shrink a little bit but the taste might be even better.

Well I was around 3rd Rd last night at dining time, so me and my companion decided to pay this place a visit

At dining time it was absolutely empty, and as we found out, it was for a very good reason.

I have to say it was by far the worst dining experience of my stay so far, and the lady was not impressed either. The portion was one of the smallest I have had, and the sirloin steak I ordered (275 BHT) was overcooked. Also the picture (minus one bite) makes it look thick but it's because it was sitting on fries. It was about 1/8 of an inch. The waiter was an 8-year old child, who obviously did not know a lot about it, he didn't even ask me how I wanted the steak. The lady has a salmon steak and it was even more paltry than the steak and she said also overcooked.

The menu did not even have juice or soft drinks, the lady asks them about this, they don't know what she's on about. 

I rate it not only as one of my worst dining experiences in Pattaya, but one of my worst worldwide. I felt a bit embarrassed about it all and had to apologise to the lady, happily she took it well. 

WP_20170725_002.jpg

Edited by Mishko

Surely they can't fuck up chips?

Never buy anything with a handle. It only means work.

2 hours ago, Mishko said:

Well I was around 3rd Rd last night at dining time, so me and my companion decided to pay this place a visit

At dining time it was absolutely empty, and as we found out, it was for a very good reason.

I have to say it was by far the worst dining experience of my stay so far, and the lady was not impressed either. The portion was one of the smallest I have had, and the sirloin steak I ordered (275 BHT) was overcooked. Also the picture (minus one bite) makes it look thick but it's because it was sitting on fries. It was about 1/8 of an inch. The waiter was an 8-year old child, who obviously did not know a lot about it, he didn't even ask me how I wanted the steak. The lady has a salmon steak and it was even more paltry than the steak and she said also overcooked.

The menu did not even have juice or soft drinks, the lady asks them about this, they don't know what she's on about. 

I rate it not only as one of my worst dining experiences in Pattaya, but one of my worst worldwide. I felt a bit embarrassed about it all and had to apologise to the lady, happily she took it well. 

WP_20170725_002.jpg

I went on May and it was ok then. The problem is that the owner is not there and it seems the quality and the portion sizes have gone downhill. Thais tend to fuck up these things easily when there is nobody to watch their backs. Have to check it again in the autumn, when the owner is there. 

I recommend you to send the feedback to the owner's email: [email protected]

Edited by jpmelville

Great thread guys but i am seriously missing EP's input. Come on mate, you have made this thread your own. We want you back!

• Like 1

image.png

4 hours ago, jpmelville said:

I went on May and it was ok then. The problem is that the owner is not there and it seems the quality and the portion sizes have gone downhill. Thais tend to fuck up these things easily when there is nobody to watch their backs. Have to check it again in the autumn, when the owner is there. 

I recommend you to send the feedback to the owner's email: [email protected]

If the guy is knowledgable as you say, then he will know the restaurant and bar business is one of the worst to be an absentee business owner. I am frankly surprised that he would do that. He must have other investments and not care too much. 

0a.jpg

Casa Pascal offers the best breakfast buffet in its price class in central Pattaya. 

1bbt.jpg

It is located just off 2nd Road near The Avenue and across from Royal Garden Plaza.

1bbbt.jpg

1bb.jpg

Eggs and breakfast meats are cooked to order at an outdoor grill and fry station.

IMG_6201a.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

The choices include steaky and back bacon; marinated chicken; ham; sausage and marinated pork.

IMG_6200.jpg

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

Inside, there's an outstanding selection of freshly baked breads ...

8b.jpg

along with cold cuts; a small salad bar fruits; pickled and smoked herring; cheese;

IMG_6208.jpg

Asian and Western hot dishes (soups, pasta, stir-fry, potatoes); 

5.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

6.jpg

cereals; yogurt; fruits; desserts; and the customary condiments.

9.jpg

12.jpg

It includes as much coffee, tea, juice and soft drinks as you can knock back, all for the reasonable price of 240 baht.

1cc.jpg

It's actually a combined breakfast and lunch buffet. The friendly staff keeps the chafing dishes well filled between 8.00 a.m. and 2 p.m., which are convenient hours for those who wake up when their cocks grow, not when the cock crows. There's also free WiFi with a strong signal, although it is a bit of a hassle to log in.

1dda.jpg

You can find bigger breakfast buffets in central Pattaya, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better one under 250 baht. That said, we have to keep things realistic. Should you want a full English fry up, you're better off heading to Retox, IRovers or another English pub/restaurant as some of the components of a full English are missing from Casa Pascal's buffet.  But if you can accept a breakast without black pudding, tinned tomatoes and fried mushrooms, CP is a great choice. 

11a.jpg

The absolutely best breakfast buffets in Pattaya, in terms of variety and quality, are in the big hotels like the Hilton, Sheraton, Royal Cliff and Dusit. However, they cost three to five times as much as Casa Pascal, which can't be beat regarding value for money.
  • IMG_6198.jpg
  •  
  • IMG_6197.jpg
  •  
  • 3.jpg
  •  
  • 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

When I went last week they had real cheese and some nice cold mussels. Sorry to see from your photo that they have gone back to that awful yellow processed cheddar/mozzarella. Also their juice is completely undrinkable.

Apart from that it's good.

Great to see you brought this excellent topic  back to live Evil. Your food reviews are always a pleasure to read and have inspired me more than once on what restaurants to visit during my trips.

• Like 2

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

Inconsistency is the hobgoblin of almost all restaurants in Pattaya, not just the small ones. A restaurant that serves up great food one day can be way off the mark the next day.  That generally has to do with who's in the kitchen- the regular chef or cook or a substitute. A big, big problem is that a lot of Thai cooks don't know how farang food is supposed to taste.  They prepare dishes according to recipes or instructions, but don't have a real sense of what they are supposed to be sending out to customers.

In terms of consistency, Casa Pascal is exceptional.  It achieved a high standard for its food years ago and has maintained that standard.  In 2014, I took a lot of pics at CP but never got aroundto doing a review.  I'm posting them below so you can compare them with the recent pics from 2017. Not much has changed.

Just one other note: there's been some discussion as to whether CP offers baked beans at its buffet.  Some days I've seen beans on the buffet table, other days not. I don't eat farang breakfast more than twice a month, so I don't know why beans are available some days and not others.

Evil

• post-9139-0-91227900-1501573081.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-30062400-1501573086.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-61621100-1501573088.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-71457800-1501573090.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-49397500-1501573092.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-58956600-1501573094.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-43219000-1501573096.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-36314200-1501573098.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-75346200-1501573099.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-39654000-1501573101.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-96015700-1501573154.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-89527500-1501573156.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-10489700-1501573158.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-34972500-1501573159.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-41972800-1501573160.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-90935000-1501573162.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-48673200-1501573165.jpg
  •  
  • post-9139-0-38726800-1501573168.jpg
  • post-9139-0-64966600-1501573169.jpg
  •  
Edited by Evil Penevil

I am the only one on here that doesnt like it, always been a greasy mess

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, just hanging said:

I am the only one on here that doesnt like it, always been a greasy mess

Nope, I ordered a waffle with breakfast and was served what I swear was part of a toasted Eggo waffle. And this was after a 20 minute wait. 

• Like 1

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

22 hours ago, likeaking said:

Nope, I ordered a waffle with breakfast and was served what I swear was part of a toasted Eggo waffle. And this was after a 20 minute wait. 

Owners are great people and their dinners are good, but not the breakfast

• Like 1

For breakfast, Trattoria Fusion on 2nd Rd (next to Wonderful beer bar I think) had pretty decent fare for only 100 BHTS, the portions are fairly good and you have option of American, British or European.

The only thing is that the American is missing the beans that the Brit has, and the Brit misses the hash brown that the American has, but I told the waitress and they included me without extra charge. Also included choice of orange juice or coffee / tea

I will try go a second time post a picture (my phone ran out)

On 7/26/2017 at 2:29 PM, alpaca said:

Surely they can't fuck up chips?

It's possible. Soggy chips are disgusting, which happens if they are cooked too long and the oil is not hot enough.

Edited by ex-pat
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2016 at 0:36 AM, Evil Penevil said:

Yes, mayonnaise.

Evil

That is what all the Thais I know like on fries. That or nothing. i tease my young Thai relatives with vinegar - they run away in horror after smelling it. :-)

On 4/12/2016 at 1:57 PM, Evil Penevil said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  That's what will make this thread a useful resource.  I tend to be focused on central Pattaya, so it's good to hear from BMs about restaurants in other areas.

Yup, the Deli Diner is fantastic value for money. I posted pics from my four-course meal there in another thread.  There's a lot on the Deli Diner's menu under 200 baht.

post-9139-0-74619600-1460442838.jpg

One response on another board suggested  Restaurant Le Freelax near the Buffalo Bar.  I'd never heard of it, but it's a small French restaurant that has a four-course set menu for around 220 (or maybe 250) baht. That has to be one of the cheapest set menus in Pattaya.  I plan on visiting it after Songkran.

post-9139-0-81155600-1460442817.jpg

So many restaurants, so little time.  Keep the suggestions coming.

I will.

I will.

Evil

One of the best value restaurants in town. Deli Diner can't be beaten for the quality you get at those prices. Redox group just as cheap but lacking quality. 

I had the pancake breakfast this morning  at Secrets on Soi 14. It cost 169 baht for three fluffy pancakes, a good portion of streaky bacon (I could have chosen side bacon) and a small pitcher of real maple syrup. I ordered two fried eggs for 30 baht and a large glass of apple juice for 90 baht.

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

It all went down very well.  To make use of one of the oldest cliches, it reminded me of the pancake breakfasts my mother made.  Homemade pancakes, not from a mix.   

IMG_0114.jpg

The bacon was crisp and not too salty, good quality stuff.

IMG_0115.jpg

I don't often have pancakes in Pattaya because I have almost always been disappointed, but I can recommend the Secrets' pancakes to anyone who enjoys home-style pancakes.

Evil

Hi EP,

That actually does look pretty good.

Was it really pure Maple Syrup? That's hard to believe. It's super expensive. 

Maybe the Canadians here will comment. 

Does the pancake breakfast include coffee? 

Edited by Kreggerz

Felt the need to increase my vegetable intake ,so tried Bites last night.

Opposite The Continental bakery  (behind Triangle Bar ).

Basic but good. Not expensive.