Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

Thanks for taking the time to do this mate, great stuff, useful and informative. I have tried quite a few of the visited eateries, and many that you have yet to visit I guess!! Top marks !!

<!-- isHtml:1 -->

To help I hope,it's on the corner of Soi 14,3rd.Road.The Soi to go to MClub.

some fussy eating buggers were there last saturday and raving to me about this place

I mentioned Mclub thinking it's more known than MaxxCentral, I have no connection with Mclub, except going there now and then as I am staying at MaxxCentral.

I had the mussels and fries special 220 baht special at Steak and Co. On Thursday 12 to 5 pm.

1 kilo of Mussels. Very filling and tasted fresh not frozen. You can get them in a variety of sauces. I got the tomato Provencal and they were delicious. I sopped up as much of the sauce as I could. 555

Fries were good too.

At the price I think it's a hell of a deal.

Sent from my ZTE T920 using Tapatalk

I tried this special.

I agree it's a good deal but my experience had an issue.

The mussels were very well cooked. All were open but one.

They were plumpish and while didn't taste super fresh certainly didn't taste past their eat by date.

I chose the provencal sauce which was supposed to have some wine in it.

I didn't actually taste any wine and the sauce was very over-salted.

I appreciated that some rolls were on the table in addition to the garlic butter bread.

I like to dip bread in mussels sauce but with the salt bomb situation couldn't eat much of the sauce. 

The fries were good. I didn't eat many of them as the rest of the food was filling.

I was told on the other day early bird specials, you get one side like choice of potatoes and a choice of sauce. If you say no to the sauce, you can get a second side.

There was no plus plus which is a plus.

If you order this, in case it wasn't a one off mistake, you might want to ask them to cook it with a little salt as you can sort of fix under salted but you can't fix over salted.

Edited by Kreggerz

I guess I was lucky. Sauce was good and seasoned well. I generally avoid a lot of salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Either that lady is tiny or those are some gargantuan portions!

Thanks for the tip! Looks worthy of checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent reviews Evil. Thank you. Im off to try one of your suggestions shortly.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have to recommend the place I have eaten many times in Patts. As a Finn I like to support my homies places. This one have the biggest portions I have seen in Pattaya and they have even the guarantee on some dishes that if you're still hungry after finishing your meal, you get another one for free. Besides the portions sizes, the food is delicious also.

It's called Maikan Majatalo(Teacher's Guesthouse). It's on Soi Yume behing the 3rd road Big C, kinda of beaten path, but hey sometimes you have to explore Pattaya. Just turn to the east from Pattaya Klang after the Big C, drive about 300m and when you see the sign with Finnish flag, turn left and you're there.

On high season they have the quiz on Thursday from 7pm, so that's a bad time to visit as the place is totally full of people. They have also sauna on Saturdays with some bbq 100bht for people who are not the guests of the guesthouse. Good value still, but bear in mind there will be a lot of naked Finnish dudes :D

Here is the map:

attachicon.gifmaikkamap.jpg

...and that's what the storefront looks like:

attachicon.gifmaikanfront.jpg

All the dishes fall under 300bht as the most expensive filet mignon dishes are 290bht. Unfortunately I have only one pic representing the dishes, which is the sirloin steak with bacon potatoes I ate there for 240bht(believe me I wasn't hungry after that):

attachicon.gifIMG_10991.jpg

Here is the medley of pics from their website(sorry only in Finnish, but you get the picture of the portions): http://maikanmajatalo.com/ravintola.html

And here is the full menu(also in English): http://maikanmajatalo.com/images/menu.pdf

They have a variety of Thai food too if you're with you companion of the night. Some Thai birds want it big:

attachicon.gifmaikkaplate.JPG

In the high season you can buy the cold smoked products from there like salmon, pork and even cheese.

This place looks so good that I believe this topic really deserves a bump because of it.

Yes its further out than most of us holiday makers travel but it is on my very small list of of "must visit" places on my next trip.

Thank you for informing us of it and in the informative way you have, where it is, what it serves, the costs and links to it.

Great job :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by Balee

I have to recommend the place I have eaten many times in Patts. As a Finn I like to support my homies places. This one have the biggest portions I have seen in Pattaya and they have even the guarantee on some dishes that if you're still hungry after finishing your meal, you get another one for free. Besides the portions sizes, the food is delicious also.

It's called Maikan Majatalo(Teacher's Guesthouse). It's on Soi Yume behing the 3rd road Big C, kinda of beaten path, but hey sometimes you have to explore Pattaya. Just turn to the east from Pattaya Klang after the Big C, drive about 300m and when you see the sign with Finnish flag, turn left and you're there.

On high season they have the quiz on Thursday from 7pm, so that's a bad time to visit as the place is totally full of people. They have also sauna on Saturdays with some bbq 100bht for people who are not the guests of the guesthouse. Good value still, but bear in mind there will be a lot of naked Finnish dudes :D

Here is the map:

attachicon.gifmaikkamap.jpg

...and that's what the storefront looks like:

attachicon.gifmaikanfront.jpg

All the dishes fall under 300bht as the most expensive filet mignon dishes are 290bht. Unfortunately I have only one pic representing the dishes, which is the sirloin steak with bacon potatoes I ate there for 240bht(believe me I wasn't hungry after that):

attachicon.gifIMG_10991.jpg

Here is the medley of pics from their website(sorry only in Finnish, but you get the picture of the portions): http://maikanmajatalo.com/ravintola.html

And here is the full menu(also in English): http://maikanmajatalo.com/images/menu.pdf

They have a variety of Thai food too if you're with you companion of the night. Some Thai birds want it big:

attachicon.gifmaikkaplate.JPG

In the high season you can buy the cold smoked products from there like salmon, pork and even cheese.

I'll be defintely going to this place on my next trip in January...

The last pic with the lady, what's the name of the dish its looks great...

Many thanks for the info jpmelville :GoldenSmile1:

Retox Game On, on Soi Honey near 2nd Road, deserves a full-scale review, but for now, I'll just mention one meal I had there: the gammon steak with eggs, thick-cut chips and fried pineapple for 275 baht.

post-9139-0-84869700-1474142862.jpg

It was a a large portion with a thick piece of ham- once gammon is cooked, it becomes ham - two eggs, two slices of pineapple and plenty of chips.

post-9139-0-51674400-1474142865.jpg

post-9139-0-77614700-1474142874.jpg

The eggs were fresh and cooked perfectly "sunny side up."

post-9139-0-59975600-1474142881.jpg

The ham was a bit salty, but I like it that way. It was moist and had a lot of flavor, clearly a quality product.

post-9139-0-36818000-1474142892.jpg

The pineapple added a sweet balance to the saltiness of the ham.

post-9139-0-14578600-1474142903.jpg

I didn't much like the chips; they weren't crisp and too soft and soggy for my taste.  I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of thick-cut chips and prefer the thin-cut style that have been twice fried. I would certainly go back to Retox Game On for its ham and eggs, but I'd ask for fried potatoes rather than chips.

Retox Game On appears very popular as a sports bar, but this short review only covers one meal under 300 baht.  It has an extensive menu, with a lot of options under 300 baht.  It's mostly U.K. comfort food, but there are some "international" and Thai dishes as well.

post-9139-0-69335200-1474142913.jpg

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Great post my friend.

Retox is hit and miss for me. I had their burger awhile back and it was only so so (why is it so hard to find a good burger in this town - 555!

The draught Guinness, though, tastes amazing. Even better than what we get here in Moscow - and it has to travel 4 times as far.

Retox Game On, on Soi Honey near 2nd Road, deserves a full-scale review, but for now, I'll just mention one meal I had there: the gammon steak with eggs, thick-cut chips and fried pineapple for 275 baht.

post-9139-0-84869700-1474142862.jpg

It was a a large portion with a thick piece of ham- once gammon is cooked, it becomes ham - two eggs, two slices of pineapple and plenty of chips.

post-9139-0-51674400-1474142865.jpg

post-9139-0-77614700-1474142874.jpg

The eggs were fresh and cooked perfectly "sunny side up."

post-9139-0-59975600-1474142881.jpg

The ham was a bit salty, but I like it that way. It was moist and had a lot of flavor, clearly a quality product.

post-9139-0-36818000-1474142892.jpg

The pineapple added a sweet balance to the saltiness of the ham.

post-9139-0-14578600-1474142903.jpg

I didn't much like the chips; they weren't crisp and too soft and soggy for my taste.  I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of thick-cut chips and prefer the thin-cut style that have been twice fried. I would certainly go back to Retox Game On for its ham and eggs, but I'd ask for fried potatoes rather than chips.

Retox Game On appears very popular as a sports bar, but this short review only covers one meal under 300 baht.  It has an extensive menu, with a lot of options under 300 baht.  It's mostly U.K. comfort food, but there are some "international" and Thai dishes as well.

post-9139-0-69335200-1474142913.jpg

Evil

Loads on the menu is more expensive than Witherspoons in the UK

285 Baht for a club sandwich and a few chips

I had the beef stew at Game On 2 days ago but I found the beef inedible. I'd still be there now chewing if I hadn't deposited said beef in a tissue. I'm guessing it wasn't a prime rib Angus steak.

Tonight I had the cottage pie from Devonshire for 189 (non special). It was a generous serving, piping hot, with some melted cheese on top of the potato. I managed to finish it all which is unusual for me and it was quite salty which I happen to like, I just didn't need to add any myself. It also came with two thick slices of bread with butter which I left.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

This place looks so good that I believe this topic really deserves a bump because of it.

Yes its further out than most of us holiday makers travel but it is on my very small list of of "must visit" places on my next trip.

Thank you for informing us of it and in the informative way you have, where it is, what it serves, the costs and links to it.

Great job :GoldenSmile1:

Thumbs up. Just remember stay away on Thursday evening unless you'ra Finnish. There is a quiz going on with more than 100 punters from 7pm to about 10pm. May be slow service and very difficult to have a seat. Usually the quiz crowd is served from the buffet.

I'll be defintely going to this place on my next trip in January...

The last pic with the lady, what's the name of the dish its looks great...

Many thanks for the info jpmelville :GoldenSmile1:

I guess it's the tex-mex snithchel with bacon potatoes #53 in the menu

I think I have give up hope on western food in pattaya, and it do not matter if it is above or below 300, it do not taste very good either way. They can do pizza, sometimes spagetti dishes and to me the fish and chips is often not great but alright, but iam not a englishmen. But when it comes to the rest, it usually fails big, even if potato and vegetables are not as waterydown as they use to be, so it is moving forward I guess. I have gone this time to more expensive places that have good rep on this forum, but the same result.

Here is however one decent western food and that is below 300. Spagetti with tuna cream souce at jasmine in soi buakhow

20160910_190748.jpg

• Like 2

A bit of ham, canned pineapple and frozen fries for just under 300 baht. Are you serious evil?

I went into retox once and didn't even bother sitting down before walking out; I thought the whole place was just a giant tourist trap

A bit of ham, canned pineapple and frozen fries for just under 300 baht. Are you serious evil?

I went into retox once and didn't even bother sitting down before walking out; I thought the whole place was just a giant tourist trap

Yep

Totally agree

I went into the new Game on Soi Honey yesterday

Had the pie and chips for 285 Baht

The pie had been microwaved and was almost inedible and the chips were soggy .

i will visit game on again to maybe watch the football occasionally but I certainty will not be buying any food

Much better options about

The place is certainly a tourist trap with prices getting on for the same as in a lot of UK pubs

But without the quality

I just had the Cajun spiced chips with sweet chili sauce and sour cream in Retox Game On for 95 baht. A very generous portion and very tasty. I do agree with the above comments though ref the rest of their fare.

Edited by eanto

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

• 4 weeks later...

One night last week I felt a need for comfort food, so I popped into Secrets for a plate of macaroni and cheese at 199 baht, including two slices of garlic bread.

post-6485-0-10036400-1477266922.jpg

Mac and cheese is the quintessential comfort food for me, bringing back memories of elementary school lunches and Saturday dinners on cold fall and winter evenings. It's one of the simplest comfort foods to make, but also among the best.  The combination of pasta and cheddar cheese is irresistible.

post-6485-0-14245100-1477266930.jpg

Secrets' mac and cheese didn't disappoint.  It was stove top as opposed to oven baked, but still very good.  The sauce was rich and creamy with a heavy cheddar taste. That's exactly how I like it.  The pasta was a perfect al dente.  Mushy pasta is unfortunately all too common in Pattaya restaurants, but not at Secrets.

post-6485-0-39977900-1477266934.jpg

It was a generous portion, if not a huge one.  But unless you're burning 10,000 calories a day, you shouldn't be eating huge portions of high-calorie high-carbohydrate food.

post-6485-0-17930700-1477266939.jpg

Bottom line: Good! There's not much more I need to say about mac and cheese. Through the years, Secrets has proved to be a good place for classic U.K. and U.S. comfort food.

Evil

devil.gif

• Like 3

Wow, I've hurriedly walked past that Harry's restaurant (it's a brand ripoff from a popular Swedish chain of bars/restaurants - it's staple for people in their 30s/40s in Sweden. They tend to have the most officient bartenders in the western world - zero attitude, it's all about shifting the maximum amount of beer per evening) without really noticing. I guess when I'm walking there I tend to have a very direct goal on LK Metro :).

http://harryspattaya.com/restaurant.html

(The original: http://www.harrys.se/ )

How were those meatballs/mashed potatoes? The mashed potatoes looks a bit weird but the rest at least looks good. :)

Check their specials board, always good value!

This place has been a sleeper. It has gone from an average beer bar that did not serve food to a great eating house with quality staff. Since the Scandinavians took over there has been a renaissance there!

Edited by Jebb

image.png

Evil, a quality thread from a quality contributor! The Board is lucky to have a person like you as a member mate!  :GrinNod1: 5 stars from me!

Edited by Jebb

image.png

Evil, a quality thread from a quality contributor! The Board is lucky to have a person like you as a member mate!  :GrinNod1:

Wow!  signboard-thank-you-smiley-emoticon.gif  That's high praise indeed and I'm almost blushing!  My posts are intended to inform and entertain;  it's the best sort of praise when another BM enjoys them.  Thank you for the kind words; they are much appreciated.

Evil

• Like 3

post-6485-0-25715800-1477459324.jpg

An update on My Way's beef tenderloin file (180 grams, or 6.3 ounces  for Americans) at 295 baht.

post-6485-0-04097400-1477457277.jpg

It comes with a small side salad and choice of potatoes, which in my case was fried.

post-6485-0-32359500-1477457273.jpg

post-6485-0-21851300-1477457291.jpg

The beef was tender and full of flavor. My Way has held a high standard through the years regarding its beef.  I would have preferred the gravy on the side, but I forgot to tell the waitress and got it European style.

post-6485-0-52173800-1477457281.jpg

It was cooked as I ordered it, medium rare.

post-6485-0-80135900-1477457284.jpg

post-6485-0-07741900-1477457288.jpg

Bottom line: My Way (in the arcade on 2nd Road that runs beside Kiss Food and Beefeater) remains a good option for those who want decent beef but aren't prepared to spend a lot.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Evil your food reviews are very helpful and the pictures are amazing. You discover and try places that are sometimes off the beaten track. Thanks for your contributions and keep em coming!