IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

****REVIEW REQUEST**** Evil &/or Striderman KISS FOOD!

Should be interesting. Never been game myself but bums on seats...

Edited by ertert

I am as pervy as the next guy, but this was easily the most informative and interesting thread on the board. Keep up the thread Evil. 

• Like 2

Visiting December 2019

i only take the pics.

been in Kiss but not for about 16 years so my info and memory are both out of date and poor

I've seen KISS both full and empty, but much more often full than empty. In this weather, though, it's just too hot for me to sit at KISS. Even in the covered section, the fans are no match for 95-degree temperatures.

Untitled-1n.jpg

I think of the food at KISS in the same way as some people regarded the Presidency of Ronald Reagan: not as good as his supporters hoped it would be, not as bad as his opponents feared it would be. The food is OK, but the service is often bad and you may be seated uncomfortably close to some drunk and obnoxious customers. I generally avoid KISS, but it is more because of the heat, noise, hassles with drunks and bad service than the food.

A curious story about the food at KISS: About five years ago, there was mentally ill and filthy dirty homeless farang who hung around the LK Metro area. One day I encounted him on Soi Diana near KISS and I offered to buy him some take-away food from KISS. Poor guy looked as if he were literally starving. I've seen many homeless in the U.S. and Europe, but none of them that rough. But he declined my offer and said the food at KISS was "too bad."

Untitled-1v.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

I've seen KISS both full and empty, but much more often full than empty. In this weather, though, it's just too hot for me to sit at KISS. Even in the covered section, the fans are no match for 95-degree temperatures.

attachicon.gifUntitled-1n.jpg

I think of the food at KISS in the same way as some people regarded the Presidency of Ronald Reagan: not as good as his supporters hoped it would be, not as bad as his opponents feared it would be. The food is OK, but the service is often bad and you may be seated uncomfortably close to some drunk and obnoxious customers. I generally avoid KISS, but it is more because of the heat, noise, hassles with drunks and bad service than the food.

A curious story about the food at KISS: About five years ago, there was mentally ill and filthy dirty homeless farang who hung around the LK Metro area. One day I encounted him on Soi Diana near KISS and I offered to buy him some take-away food from KISS. Poor guy looked as if he were literally starving. I've seen many homeless in the U.S. and Europe, but none of them that rough. But he declined my offer and said the food at KISS was "too bad."

attachicon.gifUntitled-1v.jpg

Evil

he may be starving and stupid for not getting the food, but he knows his food......tourist thai food at best

Looks comfortable and more character than your average restaurant. But before I get too excited do they allow smoking? 

Walk past there today and stopped for a look. There was no sign of any ashtrays inside.

Never buy anything with a handle. It only means work.

Evil just thought it would be a funny review... The bum was funny though- the infamous "one shoe" no? Hope he got the help he needed.

Hats off to Kiss though for running a busy restaurant for so many years in the tough Pattaya market.

The bum was funny though- the infamous "one shoe" no? Hope he got the help he needed.

Hats off to Kiss though for running a busy restaurant for so many years in the tough Pattaya market.

I believe he was sent back to Germany, but I don't know the details.

And now for those of you who are hearty eaters: Nicky's on Soi Bukhao has really big portions for 250 baht. I ate there with two friends last night. I had the 1/2 roast chicken with stuffing, roast potatoes and garden peas.

IMG_0088.jpg

That's a substantial portion of chicken, backed up by big helpings of potatoes and peas. It was roasted properly, with the meat very moist. Best chicken I've had for awhile in Pattaya.

IMG_0091.jpg

A bit stingy on the stuffing, though, but that's a minor point. I would have preferred more stuffing and less potatoes.

Untitled-1b.jpg

One friend had the pork chops, mashed potatoes and garden peas. Again, very generous portions for 250 baht.

IMG_0086.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

I'm not sure about the price of the fish 'n chips, but I believe it was around 200 baht.

IMG_0093.jpg

Untitled-1a.jpg

You can see the size of roast chicken in the photo below. The fish 'n chips came with two large slices of freshly baked bread.

Untitled-1c.jpg

If you're really hungry and don't favor a buffet, Nicky's is a good option under 300 baht.

Evil

A general question - how do they roast a chicken in 10 minutes?

I make this meal at home regularly, and it takes 1.5 hours +.

Do they roast and then keep it warm for hours? What happens if it doesn't sell that day?

Maybe it's some kind of boil-in-the-bag or microwave job?

Thanks for posting your findings,Although not the cheapest option for English comfort food, I have never heard of any negative reviews for Nicky`s food,either breakfast or mains?

EVIL...what about Harry"s?  Food on website looks great and tons under 300b.

http://harryspattaya.com/restaurant.html

Todays Special/Dagens 195B

Monday Swedish Ground Beef w fried Onion & Gravy
               (Pannbiff m Lök & sky)

Tuesday Milk Stewed Macaroni w Swedish Sausage (Falukorv)
                 (Falukorv m stuvade makaroner & råkostsallad)

Wednesday Swedish Hash w Fried Egg & Beetroot
                       (Pytt i panna m tillbehör)

Thursday Fried Pork w Onion Sauce & Potatoe
                  (Stekt fläsk m löksås & kokt potatis)

Friday Schnitzel w French Fries & Redwine Sauce
            (Scnitzel m pommes frites & rödwinssås)

Saturday & Sunday Special incl glas of wine or draught beer 295 Baht                 

Pork Noisette , Bearnaise sauce & Fried Potatoe
                 (Fläsknoisetter m bearnaise sås & stekt potatis)

More great input - LOVE this thread!

The suggestions for Swedish, German, etc. serve a reminder that I need to try other cuisines while in Pattaya.  

One constant on my trips to Pattaya is to have Yorkshire pudding.  My Grandma (fro Norwich) made it for us when I was a kid, and eating it now always takes me back.  Despite how big Los Angeles is, I have yet to find a place that serves a decent Yorkshire pudding here.  In Pattaya, though, there seem to be many options!

Next trip, I want to try some Swedish, German, etc., mixed in with my Thai and British favorites!

EVIL...what about Harry"s?  Food on website looks great and tons under 300b.

http://harryspattaya.com/restaurant.html

I included Harry's in the OP of this thread. I'm a big fan of Harry's and I really like Swedish food. At one point I was married to a Swedish woman and lived in Stockholm. While I think Swedish cuisine includes some great comfort foods, they may be outside the comfort zone of a lot of Brits, Yanks and Aussies. But I do encourage everyone to give it a try.

Evil

Harry's Bar & Restaurant (on Soi Diana between Soi Bukhao and LK Metro) specializes in Swedish husmanskost (home cooking).

post-6485-0-57016500-1460356299.jpg

post-6485-0-32204400-1460356304.jpg

Some of the dishes may not be familiar to non-Scandinavians, but all that I have had were tasty. There are a lot of dishes on the menu under 300 baht.

post-6485-0-90902900-1460356307.jpg

post-6485-0-40478400-1460356311.jpg

A Swedish classic: meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingonberry (similar to cranberry) sauce and dill pickle slices for 195 baht. 

post-6485-0-06524500-1460356570.jpg

post-6485-0-70354600-1460356578.jpg

post-6485-0-42798800-1460356574.jpg

Fried pork belly on a potato pancake, also with lingonberry sauce and for 195 baht.

post-6485-0-64523900-1460356320.jpg

post-6485-0-51196900-1460356324.jpg

post-6485-0-95099100-1460356327.jpg

Harry's also has Swedish mustard, which went well with the pork.

post-6485-0-28353400-1460356331.jpg

I included Harry's in the OP of this thread. I'm a big fan of Harry's and I really like Swedish food. At one point I was married to a Swedish woman and lived in Stockholm. While I think Swedish cuisine includes some great comfort foods, they may be outside the comfort zone of a lot of Brits, Yanks and Aussies. But I do encourage everyone to give it a try.Evil

Any Polt?

sorry evil, i forgot...lol, getting old.  135b for B4 breakfast is my ticket.   also Swedish meatballs at 195b looks good.

their new rooms look ok too for budget minded....400-700b low season.  flat screen tv, new beds, new bathrooms.

cheers alex

Edited by Alex the Hedonist

This update is in two separate parts.  First part:

post-9139-0-47566900-1464036123.jpg

Tequila Reef on Soi 7 has garnered mixed reviews through the years on the Pattaya boards. Some people love it, others loathe it.  I don't know if it is luck or the hand of Buddha, but I've never had a bad meal there. I don't know what accounts for others' bad experiences. Maybe it's the inconsistency that haunts many Pattaya restaurant? There have also been some rather bitter discussions about the "authenticity" of the food at Tequila Reef.  That's a muddled concept at best;  for me, it's how the food tastes, rather than authenticity, that is important.

post-9139-0-67409800-1464036120.jpg

In any case, Tequila Reef does have plenty of options on its menu under 300 baht; the daily specials, for example, although some are over 300 baht.

Mexican Monday

2 Item Mexican Combo Plate  235 Baht

I ordered the beef taco and cheese enchilada with Mexican rice on the side.  A burrito was  an option.

post-9139-0-04843200-1464036114.jpg

post-9139-0-09704400-1464036118.jpg

post-9139-0-25778400-1464036130.jpg

Taco Tuesday

Your Choice of Beef, Chicken or Pork Taco 60 Baht

post-9139-0-73979200-1464036126.jpg

Ribs Wednesday

Our Famous St. Louis Style Pork Ribs (Half Rack) 305 Baht

post-9139-0-13512900-1464036133.jpg

Burrito Thursday

East LA or Texas Crash and Burn Burrito 235 Baht

post-9139-0-85616100-1464037551.jpg

Fajitas Friday

Our House Specialty of Sizzling Fajitas 325 Baht

post-9139-0-23854400-1464038213.jpg

post-9139-0-94175700-1464038227.jpg

post-9139-0-72645400-1464038232.jpg

Salmon Saturday

Salmon Filet Dinner 375 Baht

And there's a lot on the regular menu under 300 baht:

post-9139-0-33772600-1464036107.jpg

post-9139-0-90741100-1464036109.jpg

Second part:

Some more options from the Pattaya Meals delivery service:

#1 Twelve Chicken Wings (Barbecue) with blue cheese dip at 170 baht ;

post-6485-0-41566900-1463997205.jpg

#3 Cheese Burger Platter with bacon, fried egg and potato wedges at 245 baht (Cheeseburger's basic price is 195 baht, plus 30 baht for bacon and 20 baht for egg).  It's built on a thick patty of importedAustraliam Black Angus beef.

post-6485-0-09068900-1463997185.jpg

#7 Cashew Chicken at 145 baht;

post-6485-0-36998800-1463997201.jpg

#20 Eggplant Parmigiana with spaghetti at 165 baht;

post-6485-0-58610200-1463997194.jpg

The order was placed at about 5.00 p.m. and arrived at 5.30 p.m.  Every thing was warm, properly cooked and very tasty.  For me at least, it's an attractive alternative to going out in the heat and humidity.

Evil

• Like 3

Any Polt?

No, I don't think so.  I've never seen palt on any menu outside Sweden.  Palt, a potato dumpling, was a specialty of northern Sweden, but now comes in many variations.  The original dish, blodpalt, was made from pig's blood and rye flour, but the more modern types ared based on a "dough of grated raw potatoes and flour which is wrapped around a bacon or ground meat filling.

Evil

TR good place, they mixed up my order last time I went but I think that was my fault. Something always seems to get lost in the translation. I ask my TGF of 7 years what we're having for breakfast and she turns the tv on for me?

• Like 1

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Walk past there today and stopped for a look. There was no sign of any ashtrays inside.

That is always the best info to give about a restaurant. when i went there about three yrs ago it was non smoking, glad it has not changed. Evil perhaps you could always include smoking status in your reports from now on? 

Any sign of tunnbrodsrulle with raksallad, senap and ketchup. Over 25 years since I worked in Stockholm and often had these for lunch or after the pub.

Never buy anything with a handle. It only means work.

No, I don't think so. I've never seen palt on any menu outside Sweden. Palt, a potato dumpling, was a specialty of northern Sweden, but now comes in many variations. The original dish, blodpalt, was made from pig's blood and rye flour, but the more modern types ared based on a "dough of grated raw potatoes and flour which is wrapped around a bacon or ground meat filling.

Evil

Sorry,didn't have a clue how to spell it.

Friend of mines parents are Swedes,and his Mum made us Palt once.

It was potatoe,surrounding kidney,then sliced and pan fried.

I ate a bunch and then we went out on the piss.

Couldn't get drunk,that stuff just ate up the booze.lol.Good shit.

Edited by Skalliwag

Something always seems to get lost in the translation. I ask my TGF of 7 years what we're having for breakfast and she turns the tv on for me?

that may be the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum, thank you for the belly laugh :)

cheers, Alex

Edited by Alex the Hedonist

I just saw this in the Steak and Co. thread. it looks like they have a few of early bird specials that fit into this price category. Knowing this place I bet they are fresh, well cooked and delicious.

Another reason I wish I was in Patts right now (like I needed any more). 

steak.jpg

Edited by Uncle-V

What hours for the early birds? Do they include sides the same as with regular orders?