IGNORED

Word Query Thread

herds

"pee set"

and

"jai lie"

when you attach p before someones name (p-carl, p-tong), that is only if they're older than you right? not any other circumstances.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• herds

• Dr.Winston

• Ajay75

• PartyHardy

"pee set"

and

"jai lie"

when you attach p before someones name (p-carl, p-tong), that is only if they're older than you right? not any other circumstances.

Yes, and nong for a younger person. Thais do it all the time.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

"rat" or "raat"

"lan"

here this now and then when talking to girls, the other girls will say semi-agressively "rat" and sometimes "lan" which i think is more strong.

I always took it to mean 'flirt' until I found out the word for flirt, 'jeep', so was wondering if anyone knew the more accurate meaning.

thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

how would you use 'busy' in this context..

when talking about a town.. ''it's not busy''

mai mai-wang?

Often get asked what my religion is, being an atheist I reply:

pom mi me saat sa naa or pom mi cheua phra joa

..but I always get the impression that thai people interpret this as if i'm some kind of anti-christ or satanist.

I've looked 'atheist' up in 2 online dictionaries a few times and not really found a completely clear match, generally the word 'athiest' is 4-5 down the list of word matches. I got 'nok rit (นอกรีต)' but that seems to also have other connotations before it.

I sometimes say that I follow science, but again there must be a simpler way round to go about it.

Often get asked what my religion is, being an atheist I reply:

pom mi me saat sa naa or pom mi cheua phra joa

..but I always get the impression that thai people interpret this as if i'm some kind of anti-christ or satanist.

I've looked 'atheist' up in 2 online dictionaries a few times and not really found a completely clear match, generally the word 'athiest' is 4-5 down the list of word matches. I got 'nok rit (นอกรีต)' but that seems to also have other connotations before it.

I sometimes say that I follow science, but again there must be a simpler way round to go about it.

Years, ago, when I worked at Khao Yai National Park I was riding to the park entrance on a local soongthaew. As we passed the Budhist shrine just inside the park entrance the driver tooted his horn and all the Thais Wai'd as a sign of repect. An old Thai man, without even thinking that I might not speak Thai asked me in Thai why I didn't wai Budha? I patiently explained to him that there were different religions in different countries and that most people in my country are not Budhist. He then asked me if there was Budha in my country? I explained that budha was there for people of that religion if they wanted it. I thought that I had helped him to understand but he just looked at me in disgust and then looked away and shook his head as he said "So you don't Wai Budha"

TBH I find it easier to just avoid the subject in Thailand. I don't really follow any organised religion personally, what the Thais call "nook satsanaa" (outside of religion). That songthaew ride all those years ago taught me that it is better not to try to challenge their beliefs when it comes to religion (not that I feel any Desire to).

Along with politics and royalty it's a subject I always avoid talking about, but young people especially always seem to ask me about these things and generally come across inquisitive about my (or western in general) viewpoints. I actually have friends who quite often will ask me about the 'trilogy of taboo' as i call it and they can quite quickly can sense that i'm not all that comfortable with talking about these things and will say mai bpen rai and talk about something else.

I liked your story, don't think I've really engaged with any old Thai people properly but from what i've heard their world ends at the borders of their country.

Tricky stuff isn't it, heh.

Along with politics and royalty it's a subject I always avoid talking about, but young people especially always seem to ask me about these things and generally come across inquisitive about my (or western in general) viewpoints. I actually have friends who quite often will ask me about the 'trilogy of taboo' as i call it and they can quite quickly can sense that i'm not all that comfortable with talking about these things and will say mai bpen rai and talk about something else.

I liked your story, don't think I've really engaged with any old Thai people properly but from what i've heard their world ends at the borders of their country.

Tricky stuff isn't it, heh.

lol. One more story from riding the same soongthaew. I had bought some "kai yaang khaaw niaw" to take to the park with me. As we waited to depart from Pak Chong market I overheard the two old ladies seated opposite talking about me. The first one said "see that Farang over there, he speaks fluent Thai, central dialect" the second one looked at my bag and said "he can eat chicken too" to which the first one looked amazed and said "He must have lived here a long time" They really thought that me being able to eat chicken was more of an achievement than speaking their language. That's the best reason to learn Thai, you can pick up on all those little things that you would otherwise miss out on.

lol. One more story from riding the same soongthaew. I had bought some "kai yaang khaaw niaw" to take to the park with me. As we waited to depart from Pak Chong market I overheard the two old ladies seated opposite talking about me. The first one said "see that Farang over there, he speaks fluent Thai, central dialect" the second one looked at my bag and said "he can eat chicken too" to which the first one looked amazed and said "He must have lived here a long time" They really thought that me being able to eat chicken was more of an achievement than speaking their language. That's the best reason to learn Thai, you can pick up on all those little things that you would otherwise miss out on.

Yeah I've had the whole food look of amazment as well. I asked one vendor to make me som tam once and he genuinely looked at me amazed that I was going to eat it and not that I ordered in Thai. At my regular bar I always eat with about 5 Thai friends and always get looks from passers by but have not had any negative responses from it. From my experience they genuinely appreciate Farangs trying their cuisine. I've never turned down trying anything new and my friends always say that I'll eat anything. But I am a greedy bastard sometimes ;-)

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

haha^ i think thai people are brought up to believe that all falangs can't eat chilli, I can eat and like somtam and chilli no probs but my friends will always say 'mai pet' when they order for me.

haha^ i think thai people are brought up to believe that all falangs can't eat chilli, I can eat and like somtam and chilli no probs but my friends will always say 'mai pet' when they order for me.

Chauy tam hai mai ped maak duay haha.

I'm quite partial to insects now especially grasshoppers. They must look at us lot weird sometimes with some of the stuff we eat as well though.

something minor i wanted to ask too. great thread idea

please bear with me because i will be typing it in english from what i hear by ear :D

dee qua = ???

boy maa = ???

puat hoo ah = ???

*cha mai = ???

dai mai = ???

when do you use na?

นะ = na

*not to be confused with "chai mai= why not?"

Edited by PartyHardy

Travel, Alcohol, Girls, Gym

w1370i.jpg

please bear with me because i will be typing it in english from what i hear by ear :D

dee qua = ???

boy maa = ???

puat hoo ah = ???

*cha mai = ???

dai mai = ???

when do you use na?

นะ = na

Dee Kwa - Better- pom keet waa coca cola dee kwa (I think coca cola is better)

Boy maa ???? Maybe better if you try and fit this into the situation that you heard it

Puat hoo ah ???? see boy maa

Chai Mai - It means "Yes?" (pbi Walking Street chai mai? - Go Walking Street, yes ?)

Dai Mai - It means "Can Do ?" (pom kaw tom yum goong phet phet. dai mai? - I want spicy prawn tom yum soup. (You) can do??)

please bear with me because i will be typing it in english from what i hear by ear :GoldenSmile1:

dee qua = ???

boy maa = ???

puat hoo ah = ???

*cha mai = ???

dai mai = ???

when do you use na?

นะ = na

boy maa - that is probably 'boi mai' = how often, or boy maa mai = come here often?

puat hoo ah = that is probably buad hoo-ah = headache

cha mai - maybe 'was it slow?'

na - it's like a softer less formal way when asking questions or seeking confirmation, usually it's more of a request for confirmation. (bit tv die mai... bit tv nah)

not sure your 'chai mai' is right though, 'chai mai' is more like 'is that right?' or 'yes / no ?')

Edited by herds

Dee Kwa - Better- pom keet waa coca cola dee kwa (I think coca cola is better)

Boy maa ???? Maybe better if you try and fit this into the situation that you heard it

Puat hoo ah ???? see boy maa

Chai Mai - It means "Yes?" (pbi walking street chai mai? - Go walking street, yes ?)

Dai Mai - It means "Can Do ?" (pom kaw tom yum goong phet phet. dai mai? - I want spicy prawn tom yum soup. (You) can do??)

thanks a lot!

i just find out there are many idioms that means different things in Thai. slang stuff that i wouldnt know just by looking up in the dictionary :P

boy maa - that is probably 'boi mai' = how often, or boy maa mai = come here often?

puat hoo ah = that is probably buad hoo-ah = headache

cha mai - maybe 'was it slow?'

na - it's like a softer less formal way when asking questions or seeking confirmation, usually it's more of a request for confirmation. (bit tv die mai... bit tv nah)

not sure your 'chai mai' is right though, 'chai mai' is more like 'is that right?' or 'yes / no ?')

thanks man.

just found out that "puat" means something hurts, etc...pain related

w1370i.jpg

just noticed thai has a lot of "particles" which i have no idea what is that

so how exactly do you use all these endings?

wa = ว่ะ

nia = เนี่ย

Edited by PartyHardy

w1370i.jpg

not sure about เนี่ย

afaik ว่ะ is an impolite version of นะ

arrai na krap - polite

arrai na - ok with friends

arrai wa - is a bit like saying 'what the hell' or if said with ephasis on the ว่ะ 'what the f*$k' hehe. It's ok around close friends, thai people usually do it to falangs when they try to speak thai and make 0 sense :GoldenSmile1:

good enough

do you know the difference between

Edited by PartyHardy

w1370i.jpg

good enough

do you know the difference between

�„ม�ˆ and มั�‰ย

??

im barely getting a hang of the grammatical sense of thai language

any idea what this mean...and how do i use it in context

อยากได้ ชื่อ ไทย มั้ย

yàak dâai chêu tai mái

อยากได้ ชื่อ แบบ ไหน ละ

yàak dâai chêu bàep năi lá

the first one is scrambled (i think quick edit always has a problem with script) i can see a couple ม's so maybe it's 'what is the difference between 'ไหม' and 'มั้ย'?.. i think it's the same meaning just spelt diffentely, perhaps one is more formal that the other?

อยากได้ ชื่อ ไทย มั้ย - i think is just asking if you would like a thai name

and

อยากได้ ชื่อ แบบ ไหน ละ - includes 'แบบ ไหน' which i'm sure means 'which style or type'. So this is asking what style of name you would like (or if this sentence was asked directly after the first one 'what style of thai name')

Edited by herds

Yes thats what my translation for the second sentence is as well although I cant read Thai script.

yàak dâai chêu bàep năi lá - Would like to have which name?

(Would like to have/get) (name) (like) (which) (question partical)

Edited by Ajay75

Thanks a lot herds....You are very helpful...

:Number1a::LMFAO::Chokdee3::Good_Job::Buddy1::Bravo1::Agree:

w1370i.jpg

i listen many thai music like Loso, Clash, Body Slam etc...

i heard all the times "woodjai"

can someone translate this word ?

i listen many thai music like Loso, Clash, Body Slam etc...

i heard all the times "woodjai"

can someone translate this word ?

It's hard to know without hearing it. I've always found Thai words harder to hear properly when they're sung (same as English words when they're sung really). Jai means heart, spirit or soul and is often used in combinations with other words like dee jai (happy) jai dee (good heart, kind) son jai (interested). I cannot think of a word used with jai that sounds like wood. It could be puat jai which means aching heart or hua jai which means heart, as in the organ both physical and conceptual. If you send me an mp3 clip of a track with the words in I might be able to help you more.