IGNORED

Word Query Thread

herds

Often I want to ask a question about a word or a small phrase but I sometimes don't bother as it seems it's a bit of a waste creating a new thread each and everytime when the little question will only generate 1 or 2 responses, and rather than pollute the 'add one word a day thread 'I I thought i'd make a thread for small questions where the thai langauge gods can help us :Bravo1:

Test -tod long - ทดลอง

Is this the right word to use when saying something like 'trying on shoes'? earlier today I said 'pa yaa yam' but I was told that was incorrect and I think she said something that sounded like 'tod long'.

_____ seller

The word for seller is 'ki' but how would you use it to say something like 'he is a fruit seller'? kow kon ki pola-mi?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• herds

• Dr.Winston

• Ajay75

• PartyHardy

pa yaa yam =try tok long = ok

Long live campanologists!.....Cheers lads...your the salt of the earth!

Is this the right word to use when saying something like 'trying on shoes'? earlier today I said 'pa yaa yam' but I was told that was incorrect and I think she said something that sounded like 'tod long'.

Long is for trying clothes or tasting as far as I can tell. Long sai doo, or long chim doo.

Payaa yam is trying to do something.....still trying would be payaa yam yoo.

The word for seller is 'ki' but how would you use it to say something like 'he is a fruit seller'? kow kon ki pola-mi?

I'd say kon kai ponlamai, yes.

When referring to shop sellers/street vendors personal pronouns are a little different and can only be used in the second or third person form.

The following should apply for each type of seller:

Shop - "khun tai"

Street Vendor (male) - por ka

Street Vendor (female) - meh ka

Hope this helps with the second part of your question.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

playboy? I here this is:

'ja choo' เจ้าชู้

but in some dictionairies it seems the word also implies that the person is unfaithful or having a affair with a married woman.

playboy? I here this is:

'ja choo' เจ้าชู้

but in some dictionairies it seems the word also implies that the person is unfaithful or having a affair with a married woman.

IMHO- Like most phrases it depends on context - a "jow choo" can just be a simple flirt or it can be used for someone who does play around. It depends on the situation and how it is said. You can also be "Taa Jow Choo" - flirty eyes. This means you like ogling.

If you're called a " เจ้าชู้ " - don't worry - crack the usual Thai joke - "rak diaow jai diaow krap" (I only have one love and one heart) - someone is bound to say " tare hua jai khun mii sii hong" - "yes but your heart has four rooms/chambers" - suggesting there is room for more than one love!! - usually this will raise a laugh and they'll forget the "jow choo" jibe.

cheers guys, seems my questions don't always have a straight answer which makes me feel less clueless :P

เธอ - turr

เขา - kow

Since I've been here I always used เขา when referring to men, e.g. kow chop nam bow

and

เธอ when referring to women, e.g. turr chop nam bow

A thai friend and I were talking about langauge and they said it's better to use คุณ 'koon' as turr is only really used in songs and movies, so in that case how would the sentence '___ chop nam bow' be modified? as saying 'koon chop nam bow' would surely mean 'you like water' when actually you want to refer to a person.

Thanks in advance, and someone else post a query here, it's not meant to be my personal thread :D

Edited by herds

cheers guys, seems my questions don't always have a straight answer which makes me feel less clueless :Whistle:

เขา - kow

เธอ - turr

Since I've been here I always used เขา when referring to men, e.g. kow chop nam bow

and

เธอ when referring to women, e.g. turr chop nam bow

A thai friend and I were talking about langauge and they said it's better to use คุณ 'koon' as turr is only really used in songs and movies, so in that case how would the sentence '___ chop nam bow' be modified? as saying 'koon chop nam bow' would surely mean 'you like water' when actually you want to refer to a person.

Thanks in advance, and someone else post a query here, it's not meant to be my personal thread :Laugh1:

เขา - kow is he or she

เธอ - turr is you (girl) or she, but you use this word when you know the girl and when you have friendship or sentimental relation.

if you speak with about your girlfriend with people, you can say เธอ - turr, but if you speak about people you just know, but no friendship or sentimental relation you use เขา - kow

Long is for trying clothes or tasting as far as I can tell. Long sai doo, or long chim doo.

Payaa yam is trying to do something.....still trying would be payaa yam yoo.

long is try

totlong is experiment

payayam is to make/try his best to obtain something

Ok, one girl I met around 3 weeks ago told me something like "Song Na Ma" or something similar, I don't remember the context, but I think it was something "bad" because she didn't want to tell me what it meant(we were at a friends party having a laugh). Anyways, listen to the mp3 and tell me what it is :P

(I was filming at the time she said it)

song_na_ma.mp3

Ok, one girl I met around 3 weeks ago told me something like "Song Na Ma" or something similar, I don't remember the context, but I think it was something "bad" because she didn't want to tell me what it meant(we were at a friends party having a laugh). Anyways, listen to the mp3 and tell me what it is :Grin_Jump1:

"Send it back?" maybe?

"Send it back?" maybe?

You mean in thai? Cuz it doesn't sound like she says that in English...

Edited by silentrain

You mean in thai? Cuz it doesn't sound like she says that in English...

I meant in thai yes, listening to it again and taking into account the context you mentioned (something "bad") it actually sounds a bit like she is saying 'two faced' in thai :(

---

Today, i was drinking from a bottle and as a joke I said "kwang ra-bert kuad" 'throw a bottle bomb'

and my friend went "mi dee, kam talung" she didn't want to explain why it was bad to me but said something about 'katoeys'.

any ideas guys, I guess it's one of those double meaning things.

Edited by herds

playboy? I here this is:

'ja choo' เจ้าชู้

I heard somewhere that the phrases origin is a historical Thai prince เจ้า (jow) who was a bit of a playboy.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Ok, one girl I met around 3 weeks ago told me something like "Song Na Ma" or something similar, I don't remember the context, but I think it was something "bad" because she didn't want to tell me what it meant(we were at a friends party having a laugh). Anyways, listen to the mp3 and tell me what it is :P

She is saying "Som nam naa" = that which is fitting to what has gone before=serves you right.

Often I want to ask a question about a word or a small phrase but I sometimes don't bother as it seems it's a bit of a waste creating a new thread each and everytime when the little question will only generate 1 or 2 responses, and rather than pollute the 'add one word a day thread 'I I thought i'd make a thread for small questions where the thai langauge gods can help us :P

Test -tod long - ทดลอง

_____ seller

1. Yes, you could ask "loong sai duu koon dai mai= Can I try them on first" for example.

2.I would say khao pen khon (thee) khaay phonlamai.

When referring to shop sellers/street vendors personal pronouns are a little different and can only be used in the second or third person form.

The following should apply for each type of seller:

Shop - "khun tai"

Street Vendor (male) - por ka

Street Vendor (female) - meh ka

Hope this helps with the second part of your question.

This is the origin of the word "luuk ka"= customer, often the word khaak is also used with the same meaning.

She is saying "Som nam naa" = that which is fitting to what has gone before=serves you right.

hahah, i was miles out. Have you the ไทย langauge for that phrase per chance ไหม

hahah, i was miles out. Have you the ไทย langauge for that phrase per chance ไหม

Sure, som an naa = สมน้ำหน้า

Haha, then I understand :)

I looked it up now and found it on a "thai swear words" site.

There it said "In your face", so I understand now why she didn't want me to know what it meant.

Haha, then I understand :)

I looked it up now and found it on a "thai swear words" site.

There it said "In your face", so I understand now why she didn't want me to know what it meant.

That's a dodgy translation as it isn't really regarded as a swear phrase. The word Naa can mean face but in this case it means "before" or "in front of". The whole phrase was "som nam naa" see my translation above.

"Until"

edit - found the answer and posted in 'add one word a day thread'

Edited by herds