IGNORED

Caution Mr Wong watches

fatjack1

I hate doing this.  I've bought from him before and had good results but I guess it's when things go wrong you find out a persons true colors.

Mr Wong is the watch seller with a stand in the back of the market across the street from the Wat on Pattaya Tai.  

I purchased a watch from him about a month ago.  I wasn't really looking for a knock off just something to wear in the evenings so I don't have to drag my phone out to see the time.  My REAL Citizen Eco-drive isn't working for some odd reason.  

I didn't really fancy anything until he pulled out this copy of an IWC watch.  Well, heck.  I don't like buying copy of anything but I liked it a lot so deal done.  It's a quartz battery drive watch with japanese movement (he says) and leather band.

Had the watch about a week.  Went to put it on and noticed it was 4 hours off.  Hmm, reset it and wore it.  Two days later it was off an hour.  Total time on my wrist maybe 4-5 hours.  So I returned it.  He was effusive in apology and replaced it.  Not exactly the same one the color was slightly different but close enough and it looked good.  Took the band off my watch and put it on the new one.

Three days pass and I realize once again the watch is off by several hours.  Note I didn't even wear it just put it in the drawer.  So I return again.  He is shocked.  These are great watches no problems yada yada and replaces it again.  Still the same watch band though.

A week passes and the 3rd watch is also a dud.  Now how in the world can quartz movements be this bad?  I return it.  Mr Wong isn't quite as pleasant and suggests I don't wear it playing golf.  Well, I don't.  In fact the only time I wore this one was one evening out for a few hours.  And he should be able to tell since the watch band (leather) is still almost new.  I tell him I've never worn it in the day time.  Pretty clear where this is going if I bring another one back.

Yup.  #4 is bad too.  So I decide to live with it and just set the time in the nights I'll wear it.  Of course hot and humid and I go out to eat.  And notice condensation inside the watch face.   So I have a watch that not only doesn't keep time if you wear it inside on a humid day it looks like shit.

Basically I've been boned.  I post this hoping to prevent any of my fellow boardies doing business with Mr Wong and losing their money as well.   Sad that he wasn't man enough to step up and admit he got a bad batch of watches.  I don't for a second believe any of them were good.  4 for 4 is too high a percentage.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After no. 2 you should have just asked for a refund. Its a fake watch some are good some not. There are high end fakes that cost more which a pretty good. Just curious how much you paid. Allot of BM's praise Jack for good knock offs.

He used to be good. I also send a few people there in the past

Why not stop  in and ask if he's had a chance to check out the other 3 returned watches and see what he says about them?

If he says something to the effect that you were correct and they were bad, tell him #4 is acting up as well and use that time to ask for a refund.

I thought this was gonna be a thread about a chinese owned massage parlour with a voyeur owner who watches the deeds being done then tries to blackmail you.

"Caution Mr Wong watches"

Countdown Clocks

After no. 2 you should have just asked for a refund. Its a fake watch some are good some not. There are high end fakes that cost more which a pretty good. Just curious how much you paid. Allot of BM's praise Jack for good knock offs.

refund..........in LOS you must be joking :LOL2:

A couple of things.  First, he certainly had the failed watches for a while and could have checked to see if in fact they were defective and recognize a bad batch of watches.  For that matter he could have set more of the ones in the batch he had and wait and see if they failed.  Clearly he isn't being proactive to determine if any of them are good.   And refund?  really?  I doubt it.  After watch #3 it was pretty clear his next step was to find some way to imply I was the guy doing something to the watches.    And I was never belligerent or rude.  Each visit I came in and said I'm not lucky.  Watch not keep time.  Can you help me.  Very cordial until the last visit and he was not as happy to replace it.  A refund is obviously not part of his business model.  And I have no intention of visiting his shop again.  

On a side note   watch #4 which was off by an hour after about 5 days is suddenly keeping time.  I took it out after posting this to see how far off it was and bang on from the last time I set it.  Thats 6 days.  I still have concern that condensation was inside the glass.  And I still have concern that it doesn't seem to drift off time rather it seems to stop for a period of time while I'm not watching it  then start again.  

Whatever.  And the price paid was much higher than street watches.  I expect them to give trouble.  I expect a watch with a japanese quartz movement to keep time.

To those with a good experience from Mr Wong great for you.  I can only report the facts and allow people to decide if it's worth the risk to do business with Mr Wong.  It's like playing golf with people.  Everyone is good fun on the course when they are playing well.  You find out their true personality when things go wrong.

I was convinced this was going to be a tale about a boogy man type Thai superstition...... something about a little Chinese man hiding in your cupboard if you tell a lie

I thought this was gonna be a thread about a chinese owned massage parlour with a voyeur owner who watches the deeds being done then tries to blackmail you.

"Caution Mr Wong watches"

:LOL2:

Robw

• 2 weeks later...

I've been told by a few people he is not a very nice person to deal with when you take back a problem watch.  

"If it feels good, just keep doing it!"

.  Went to put it on and noticed it was 4 hours off.  Hmm, reset it and wore it.  Two days later it was off an hour.  Total time on my wrist maybe 4-5 hours.  So I returned it.  He was effusive in apology and replaced it.  Not exactly the same one the color was slightly different but close enough and it looked good.  Took the band off my watch and put it on the new one.

Three days pass and I realize once again the watch is off by several hours.  Note I didn't even wear it just put it in the drawer.  So I return again.  He is shocked.  These are great watches no problems yada yada and replaces it again.  Still the same watch band though.

Take the battery out and it will be right twice a day at least.

I am always amazed to see people buying fake watches. Do they have fake cars? Like a VW with a plastic Porsche body stuck on top?

Your friends know you can't afford a $5,000 watch (unless you can then you should do that instead) so you're fooling nobody and look like someone who buys fake watches because they can't afford a real one. What's the appeal in that?

And let's face it they're pieces of crap in the long run anyway as far as quality goes. 

A couple of things.  First, he certainly had the failed watches for a while and could have checked to see if in fact they were defective and recognize a bad batch of watches.  For that matter he could have set more of the ones in the batch he had and wait and see if they failed.  Clearly he isn't being proactive to determine if any of them are good.   And refund?  really?  I doubt it.  After watch #3 it was pretty clear his next step was to find some way to imply I was the guy doing something to the watches.    And I was never belligerent or rude.  Each visit I came in and said I'm not lucky.  Watch not keep time.  Can you help me.  Very cordial until the last visit and he was not as happy to replace it.  A refund is obviously not part of his business model.  And I have no intention of visiting his shop again.  

On a side note   watch #4 which was off by an hour after about 5 days is suddenly keeping time.  I took it out after posting this to see how far off it was and bang on from the last time I set it.  Thats 6 days.  I still have concern that condensation was inside the glass.  And I still have concern that it doesn't seem to drift off time rather it seems to stop for a period of time while I'm not watching it  then start again.  

Whatever.  And the price paid was much higher than street watches.  I expect them to give trouble.  I expect a watch with a japanese quartz movement to keep time.

To those with a good experience from Mr Wong great for you.  I can only report the facts and allow people to decide if it's worth the risk to do business with Mr Wong.  It's like playing golf with people.  Everyone is good fun on the course when they are playing well.  You find out their true personality when things go wrong.

I had a similar experience with my fauxlex submariner I bought for 100 bucks at Jack's two trips back... it kept getting condensation inside after swimming...  he pressure tested it and it was fine, but it definitely was not...  on that trip I went back to his shop at least 5-6 times before he gave me a replacement, which I am still using today and happy with... but it was a pain in the ass...  one time after he took it apart and put it back together the hands fell off, etc etc...  the watch loses a little time, but otherwise has been dependable.

the little dot on the zero mark on the bezel got knocked off, he fixed that for me this trip...

Jack did take care of me, but I doubt I will ever buy a knock off again... from anyone.  I would recommend him though if you want to buy a fake watch he's a good source.

I am always amazed to see people buying fake watches. Do they have fake cars? Like a VW with a plastic Porsche body stuck on top?

Your friends know you can't afford a $5,000 watch (unless you can then you should do that instead) so you're fooling nobody and look like someone who buys fake watches because they can't afford a real one. What's the appeal in that?

And let's face it they're pieces of crap in the long run anyway as far as quality goes. 

um, I have a real high end watch but prefer not to wear it in Pattaya, it's in my little safe here...  pretty sure FatJack does too...

I happen to be a close friend of the OP and he can Definately afford a $5000 sub mariner.

He needed a watch,his real one was t working.He explained it perfectly.

The OP can be confirmned to be true.

I happen to be a close friend of the OP and he can Definately afford a $5000 sub mariner.

He needed a watch,his real one was t working.He explained it perfectly.

The OP can be confirmned to be true.

thats great.

what i dont understand is buying one in the first place.

if as you say ' can afford'

why buy a cheap knock off?

why not buy a cheap authentic watch, a swatch, casio, whatever, that works.

just curious.

thats great.

just curious.

The G shocks at 4000 baht are ok,, not fake but do a job

Don't buy fakes. Russian roulette, some are great most are crap.

If money is a bit tight, get a Casio.

Most fakes look like fakes, so the impression of having something you think looks cool is lost.

As with all things in LOS, ok till something goes wrong.

I agree thou, Wide berth.

The G shocks at 4000 baht are ok,, not fake but do a job

G shocks are great watches

I,own several high end original watches Tag,Omega,Cartier

I just wear a Casio G shock when in Thailand

You do see many punters in Patts with obvious fake watches on their wrists

Unless Japan is a city in China I don't think it is Japanese "movement".

thats great.

just curious.

I was not seeking a copy of anything.  I just wanted a cheapish watch to wear at night that looked OK.  The fact it was a knock off wasn't my plan nor did I even know the brand name it was trying to copy when he first showed it to me.  IN fact, I almost passed when I realized it was a copy.  What I didn't want was a casio.  A plastic watch.  I wanted a watch that looked more appropriate at night.  And this copy had the look I wanted.  Had they not had the IWC logo in it I would have been happier.

BTW, I've decided this whole mess around with watches isn't worth it and I will bring my Omega next trip.  Even it has issues.  If I don't wear it every day it gives up the ghost and stops.  You'd think an expensive swiss movement would at least run 3-4 days without being worn.  Heck, the Citizen that broke kept going for over a week without seeing light.  But I'll wear it every day and only remove it when playing golf as I have a GPS watch for that.

Why would you think it impossible that a watch dealer in Pattaya uses movements of better quality?  Do you have inside information?

Fatjack1 if you haven't worn your omega for 4days it's not going to be keep ticking. Depends what calibre it is but the power reserve be normally 40hrs. If you want it to keep ticking buy a watch winder if you don't wear it everyday

Lots of Chinese replicas utilise Japanese (Myota) movements.  I'm considering buy a replica Patek Philippe Calatrava at the moment - the movement is a Myota 9015.

Archived