IGNORED

New taxi system at BKK airport

kansuwan

Arrived in BKK last week (late afternoon) : situation even worse than described in my opening post.  

Two ticket issuing terminals out of order, number of 'helper' staff available reduced to one, surrounded by non-Thai speakers/first-time visitors seeking help.  No problems with getting the meter switched on, but my chatty driver said he and his colleagues hate the new system because it's causing them extended back-ups before a fare appears: he'd been waiting on the rank for over three hours.

If you're new to town and/or don't have your address written in Thai, it makes increasingly good sense to hire in advance, especially if you're heading out of the BKK metropolis.  As Ghosty of the deep south points out, you can skip the official taxi queue in Arrivals by heading for taxis dropping off at Departures.  Bit of a gamble whether the one-way gates (designed to prevent just that) are working and whether the driver will agree to put his meter on.  As others have pointed out, the train option is dirt cheap and can be quick into BKK, but changing trains/lugging suitcases is a chore after a long flight - you're on holiday, not a route march.  

Photo from another BM's trip report. 

Hmm making me think I might pre book a taxi driver to pick me up and take me to my BKK hotel next Sunday.

If this is the line it will take an hour before you will get to the front of the line. Fark that.

97547932-4E15-478C-872F-B35C71746CF7_zpsy9lqwafn.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I arrived some hours ago, and took a taxi around 9.30 am, and there was no line, so I guess it depends on the time

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has any updates on Airport taxis into Bangkok?  Are there still long lines?

Prefer to pick up a taxi into Bangkok as its cheaper, but if there is still chaos might pre-book a hotel car. Any feedback appreciated.

One week ago just missed Bell bus, so I had to take a taxi and no lines at all, I was only customer but I saw taxi stand on the right side had long lines  :Grin3:

One week ago just missed Bell bus, so I had to take a taxi and no lines at all, I was only customer but I saw taxi stand on the right side had long lines :Grin3:

This makes no sense.

There were either lines at the taxi stands or not.

If you took a limo taxi rather than the yellow/green metered taxi or pink metered taxis, then that's not the taxi stand that people here are referring to.

I don't speak Thai, I should take the train or be prepared to pay the extra 75 baht, a little over two dollars.  I do not want to aggravate my vacation over two dollars.

I will be  arriving in bkk  about six thirty in the evening (Friday 2 weeks ) . does anyone know if that is a busy time at the airport . can I still get a bus to patts ?

I will be arriving in bkk about six thirty in the evening (Friday 2 weeks ) . does anyone know if that is a busy time at the airport . can I still get a bus to patts ?

I have only arrived a few hours early or a few hours later. So, I can't help you about that. The last Bell bus is 6pm. You could stil take the other bus. I think the last bus is 10pm.

This makes no sense.

There were either lines at the taxi stands or not.

If you took a limo taxi rather than the yellow/green metered taxi or pink metered taxis, then that's not the taxi stand that people here are referring to.

Why not? There are two taxi stands and the another one near domestic flights was full of people, taxi stand near Bell bus was empty and it was normal yellow taxi meter that I took.

Makes sense, must admit I hadn't realised there were 2 taxi lines, one at Domestic end, near Exit doors 2, 3 and one at International end near doors 8, 9.

Guess if one has a big line then try the other??

best to book a car and driver when going to Pattaya, costs 1000 baht.  

or perhaps a bit more... Nam's Taxi Service is charging a buddy of mine and me 1400, we're arriving within 10 minutes of each other so we're sharing the ride.  I think she is asking 1200 for a single passenger, I will be glad to pay her that if riding solo.

other car/driver outfits are besides Nam's;  Mister T's, PT Taxi, Meow's, and others are mentioned in threads here...  all reputable and the drivers know Pattaya...

if you grab a metered taxi from the ranks, there's a chance he won't know where your hotel is cause he's a bangkok taxi guy.  I have heard of people paying around 1500 for a ride with a cab arranged at the airport...

I always arrange in advance, don't want to have to think much after the LONG trip from the USA...  and I almost always arrive after 11pm so there's no bus option.

good luck!

Old system: book taxi with Secrets staff - receive email confirmation - arrive BKK - go to number 4 area and be greeted by driver

New system: book taxi with Secrets staff - receive email confirmation - arrive BKK - go to number 4 area and be greeted by driver

Ideal system: book taxi with Secrets staff - receive email confirmation - arrive BKK - go to number 4 area and be greeted by a nice TG from the bar, enjoy the ride, and then off to the room

Think like a VC - fail quickly, try often

Go up to departures. The are happy to get a return fare and use the meter.

to Pattaya?  

I think you misunderstood the destination?

Saw this new system first time in December 2014, yea not as good as the old human and written ticket setup used to be, and arriving 4pm Sunday was a long line for the terminals.  Just take your ticket and walk to the bay indicated. Driver wanted 500bt for the downtown to Sukhumvit, only agreed to meter when I spoke well in Thai as I am very used to taxis in Bangkok. In the end all amicable and he did a good job of getting me to Citadines, Soi 11 using the back route rather than getting stuck in the Sukhumvit traffic so worth the tip.

The rail link is a good idea if you are travelling light but had a big case, albeit with wheels and wanted just to get there. Plenty of time to use the BTS and Rabbit Card once settled in, showered and changed.

Follow my dark tinged 'tweets' on Twitter on Agent 09 Twitter or find me on FACEBOOK as 'Serious Black' (Agent 09), Check out one  of my themed TR 'mini novels' here: 

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/15739-seven-of-oh-nine-7-day-cycles-in-the-bangkok-continuum/  Seven of Oh Nine - my Bangkok adventures in a 7 day period, several instalments 

Just take your ticket and walk to the bay indicated. Driver wanted 500bt for the downtown to Sukhumvit

So, abuse is more likely to happen?

• 10 months later...

Can someone please direct me to the thread with all the contacts for different private taxi service from BKK to Patts (i.e. Mr.t, Nam, PT, etc) I found the threads for Nam but I can't find the others. Thank in advance :)

Sorry, but once you found the thread about Nam's Taxi, why need any other?

She will look after you....

Only joking, sorry I am biased

But below is the thread Brutox made about all women taxi services

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/258475-taxilimo-services-–-women-owned-operated-recommended/

Gives you plenty of choices...

• 1 month later...

Can someone please direct me to the thread with all the contacts for different private taxi service from BKK to Patts (i.e. Mr.t, Nam, PT, etc) I found the threads for Nam but I can't find the others. Thank in advance  :)

.. members might find useful a list of forum member recommended WOMEN-OWNED AND OPERATED TAXI services  .. http://www.pattaya-a...nded/?p=2962859

.. if you've not travelled here often, you would do well to select women drivers, rather than the men .. a number of threads on the forum highlight the quality of their services and preferences by forum members.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

Archived