IGNORED

New taxi system at BKK airport

kansuwan

A new public taxi despatch system has been introduced at BKK airport.  It sucks, especially for first-timers.

Old System: 

Proceed to ground floor, join one of the queues to reach an individual despatcher's desk.  She would clarify your destination and issue a two-part paper - one for you to retain (bearing driver's badge number, your destination and a complaints hotline number), the other for the driver, to whom the despatcher would confirm your destination. 

Walk with driver to his cab, load baggage and drive away. 

Metered ride + mandatory 50THB airport fee + 75THB (25 +50) tollway fees if you opted to avoid public highway traffic into BKK at peak hours.  

New System:

The individual despatcher desks have gone, replaced by a bank of terminals.  Press button to obtain a slip of paper that indicates which bay your driver will be in (these are indicated clearly by neon lights in the despatch area). Show driver your despatch slip, tell him your destination, load up and proceed as above.

My experience yesterday:

Very long single queue to get to the terminals, of which the first three were not working.  Driver took and retained the slip. I gave him my destination.

Once in the cab the driver suggested a fare of 450 THB (i.e. a non-metered ride): I make the journey monthly - the fare is invariably 250-280THB;  I insisted on the meter. 

He also asked for 100THB to pay tolls.  As indicated above, they're only 75THB.  These exchanges ended up being conducted in Thai, which prompted him to remark - 'Oh, you work here'. 

Both hands of the driver left the wheel on several occasions as we made our way at speed into town.  Scary stuff, but not much could be done about that while on the highway.

On arrival and with luggage unloaded, I gave the driver the metered fare + 50THB airport fee only, no tip.  "No tip?" asked the driver.  "No tip", I confirmed and explained why not - meter ploy, inflated toll charges and dangerous driving.  At this stage the driver was doing a good impersonation of Mr Angry, but backed down when he realised that he was outnumbered by me and one of the security guards at my destination (who always follow taxis up the entrance drive to the drop-off point to check that passengers haven't left anything in arriving taxis).  The clincher was when one of the guards pointed to a CCTV camera and showed the driver a piece of paper I'd given him on which I'd written down the driver's name, badge and taxi number.  Mr Angry then left in squeal of rubber.  End of story.

But what if the passenger is new to LOS, can't speak Thai, has no idea where his destination is located or that public taxi drivers using the airport ranks are obliged to use meters, at least within BKK city limits?  

What if the passenger is heading for Pattaya and proceeds to his allocated cab, only to find that the driver won't go to Patts or wants too much for the non-metered fare (negotiable before the change at the despatcher's desk) - does the passenger have to rejoin the long queue to get another ticket?  

What if the ride goes pear-shaped and the novice passenger has no paper indicating driver's badge number, complaints help line etc.

Never had cause to complain about public taxi drivers over the last eighteen years of airport-BKK journeys, which puts the rogue I pulled into perspective and I'll stick with public taxis. 

But there's also a system problem: absence of automatic recording of driver badge numbers against individual destinations.  I'm sure bad'uns will soon be exploiting this and scamming incoming newbie arrivals.  The loss of the despatchers who did a great job converting tourist foreign-accented versions of Thai addresses into something comprehensible seems daft.  There were a couple of staff on duty who might be there to perform that function, but all their time was being taken up finding a terminal that wasn't kaput.

Apologies for length of this.    

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the Land Of Scams ... 

Still get mine at arrivals although a tad more harder than before still easy.

And make sure they know before I am in that Meter is needed and I am no first time or clueless virgin Touch wood always been ok.

Ghosty

Today BKK-Pattaya new system, around 1700b by meter on. Driver refuse take normal 1500b so my friend paid meter rate (his hotel was last), I thought meter was on by mistake.

I really hate it when the drivers try to reneg on the deal you made after arriving in order to get a tip. The last guy who did that to me was told to go away.

What if the passenger is heading for Pattaya and proceeds to his allocated cab, only to find that the driver won't go to Patts or wants too much for the non-metered fare (negotiable before the change at the despatcher's desk) - does the passenger have to rejoin the long queue to get another ticket?  

What if the ride goes pear-shaped and the novice passenger has no paper indicating driver's badge number, complaints help line etc.

The system is not designed for them as that is not who the current administration is concerned about. I think I will leave it at that... :GoldenSmile1:

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Thanks for the heads up! Another example of someone in charge at the airport trying to "fix" something that was not broken, Newbies listen up and insist that the meter stays ON!

He also asked for 100THB to pay tolls.  As indicated above, they're only 75THB.  These exchanges all conducted in Thai, which prompted him to remark - 'Oh, you work here'. 

Both hands of the driver left the wheel on several occasions as we made our way at speed into town.  Scary stuff, but not much could be done about that while on the highway.

My experience has been that speaking or not speaking Thai, or even being Thai, has no correlation regarding taxi rip offs...if they are ripping you off, they will try to rip off any passenger that gets in their taxi.

The bad driving of airport taxis (especially going to the airport in the morning) is my biggest frustration.  They are completely reckless.  The only thing I have found that encourages them to slow down is telling them their driving makes you nauseous.

good info kanswan...thank you

Yup,I used the new system last month. Get into the taxi and announce in Thai that I want to go to Mo Chit and he suggests a bargain 600 Baht fare. I suggest he puts the meter on.

When he finds out that my final destination will be Chaiyaphum a 3,500 Baht journey is offered. As the "official" fare is 4,000, according to the list that hangs in the back of cabs, I snap his hand off.

I end up giving him the full fare but you have to take off the 50 baht airport fee and quite a few tolls.

seems like it makes more and more sense to use Mr T, PT Taxi, Meow, etc...

Also, last trip I was in BKK a lot, and also went by taxi to Hua Hin as well as had two ladies brought to Hua Hin by taxi from Ratchaburi...

got the driver's cards and used them again, got reasonable deals, thanks to knowing a little from being on this forum...

While returning from last trip did see the neon boards, didn't make much of it, now know, thanks for the info.

................................................................................................................

I must have just missed the change, when I flew in last there were still the individually manned stations as you described...   landed on Oct 28...

Today BKK-Pattaya new system, around 1700b by meter on. Driver refuse take normal 1500b so my friend paid meter rate (his hotel was last), I thought meter was on by mistake.

You could pre-arrange.  No need to pay deposit.  Driver wait for you.  1000 baht including toll.

Mr T all the way, though I can see using a taxi to go to downtown Bangkok.

During normal hour, there's an express train that run right to downtown Bangkok from basement of BKK airport.  I think it runs every 30 minutes and takes about 17 minutes to get to Phaya Thai.  There's also other train from basement of BKK airport that takes you to Phetchaburi.  From there you can take the BTS/MRT to Nana, Asoke, or Victory Monument.

Still get mine at arrivals although a tad more harder than before still easy.

And make sure they know before I am in that Meter is needed and I am no first time or clueless virgin Touch wood always been ok.

Ghosty

It just seems a lot easier and cheaper to have a taxi waiting for you at arrivals, such as PT, Mr.T or Nam.

During normal hour, there's an express train that run right to downtown Bangkok from basement of BKK airport.  I think it runs every 30 minutes and takes about 17 minutes to get to Phaya Thai.  There's also other train from basement of BKK airport that takes you to Phetchaburi.  From there you can take the BTS/MRT to Nana, Asoke, or Victory Monument.

I was thinking of that rail, but the only thing is you have to then take a taxi or another line to get to your hotel (at least I'd have to considering where I usually stay in bangkok).

I think I would rather just get a taxi at airport.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I saw the new terminals when I arrived end of October but there still was the desk with dispatcher who wrote up the receipt.

Driver still wanted to give me a " special" non metered price. Of course I refused.

He rounded up adding 30 baht to the fair but I refused because I decide his tip not him. I told him that and he complied. I'm sure he wasn't happy but he kept face by keeping cool.

Many taxi drivers cant speak english and most probably cant read it, good luck to any newbies who's hotel booking voucher only shows the address in english.

Is it the same deal at don muang?

It just seems a lot easier and cheaper to have a taxi waiting for you at arrivals, such as PT, Mr.T or Nam.

Sure Mr T aint coming to collect me and take me down town on a 300 Baht ride :-) so I guess I still stick with what I am doing.

Train is fine with just hand luggage but fucked if I am changing lines lugging a heavy case about and hoofing it in high humidity heat either 555

Sure Mr T aint coming to collect me and take me down town on a 300 Baht ride :-) so I guess I still stick with what I am doing.

Train is fine with just hand luggage but fucked if I am changing lines lugging a heavy case about and hoofing it in high humidity heat either 555

OK, I see you are talking about BKK, not Pattaya. A train works if you are lightly packed, but I always bring two large suitcases, so would definitely need a taxi.

This is the reason WHY i have my own private taxi driver. He'll always give me a flat rate which includes tolls....meaning NO BS!

If he's on another job he'll send either his brother or friend to pick me up...with the same prices of course!

I'll always give him a nice healthy tip for his ''no nonsense'' approach.  

Archived