IGNORED

New taxi system at BKK airport

kansuwan

Thanks for posting this. I wonderered what happened two the old process I read about when I tried to get a cab from BKK to downtown.

I made the mistake of closing the door and allowing him to set off before confirming the meter was on. Once off, he refused to put the meter on and offered roughtly what the fair should be only to then demand I paid tolls on top so got ripped off but not as much as I could have been. Live and learn.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never saw the que anytime I take a taxi.  Instead just head up to departure level and grab a taxi dropping someone off.  Do it quickly and just throw luggage in back seat and jump in front seat.  I hop in and tell him where im going and how much Im paying.  If he counters within reason then its a done deal.  If not I say "meter".  On a few occasions I've even pushed the button for him and said, "Oops...u almost forgot to turn on meter".  Followed with a "don't-loose-face-smile".

Lol

Never saw the que anytime I take a taxi.  Instead just head up to departure level and grab a taxi dropping someone off.  Do it quickly and just throw luggage in back seat and jump in front seat.  I hop in and tell him where im going and how much Im paying.  If he counters within reason then its a done deal.  If not I say "meter".  On a few occasions I've even pushed the button for him and said, "Oops...u almost forgot to turn on meter".  Followed with a "don't-loose-face-smile".

Lol

Are you saying this is the prefer way to get a taxi at airport?  If so why?

Saves 50 baht?

I agree with previous posters, that this seems to be a good reason to choose pre booking one of the private taxi firms recommended on this board. At least for Airport- Pattaya

This new system sounds like a major potential for scams, especially for newbies, and those who don't speak Thai.

MrT, Tan, Nam and Miauw must be very happy with it!

Before you could avoid the 50 baht by going directly to departures level and hail a cab there that just dropped off a fare. And say meter and toll and the cabbie will agree. It cost the cabbie more to drive back with out a fare so they are glad to accept a return fare trip back to their turf. Airport administration caught on and installed one way gates so it is difficult or impossible to walk from the terminal to the drop off location.

Why not use AOT? It's the official airport taxi.

Before you could avoid the 50 baht by going directly to departures level and hail a cab there that just dropped off a fare. And say meter and toll and the cabbie will agree. It cost the cabbie more to drive back with out a fare so they are glad to accept a return fare trip back to their turf. Airport administration caught on and installed one way gates so it is difficult or impossible to walk from the terminal to the drop off location.

I used the system and it was pretty efficient to get you into a taxi fast. However if you're going straight to Pattaya you're a lot better off by arranging your own private driver. 

I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air.

Before you could avoid the 50 baht by going directly to departures level and hail a cab there that just dropped off a fare. And say meter and toll and the cabbie will agree. It cost the cabbie more to drive back with out a fare so they are glad to accept a return fare trip back to their turf. Airport administration caught on and installed one way gates so it is difficult or impossible to walk from the terminal to the drop off location.Why not use AOT? It's the official airport taxi.

Not impossible or difficult as resolving gates half time not working and just hail driver otherside and go thew barrier gate.

Because the taxi vendors dropping off have a advantage as they don't them selves have to "re-enter" the que themselves and wait a while before they get another customer.  Its much better for them and therefore they r in a much better situation to negotiate fares which benefits the customer. Plus absolutely no waiting in line.  Taxis are dropping off one after another at departure.  Just grab one.

Never had a prob getting out to departure level either. 

The only info I've managed to find on official airport taxis have mentioned a fare of around 3000 baht to Pattaya. Pre-booked taxis are 1000-1200.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

The only info I've managed to find on official airport taxis have mentioned a fare of around 3000 baht to Pattaya. Pre-booked taxis are 1000-1200.

not only that but a Bangkok taxi may or may not know the hotel you are going to in Pattaya, where the hired car/driver is usually from Pattaya and I have never had any problem getting directly to my hotel.  I would never just grab a cab for Pattaya when arriving, I always book a car/driver in advance...  1000 baht, simple.  And 900 back to airport at end of trip.  I use PT Taxi personally, and have always had a good experience.

No one know a Meaw or Mr.T kind of person in BKK?

I tried the train connection once, and never again.... Was thinking what the hell I was doing, carrying my heavy suitcase and trolley down the stairs at NANA BTS, thank god I stayed at Swiss Park, so it was only 30 - 40 meters away.

Travel agents like AsiaTravel offer the service.

http://asiatravel.com/en-us/packages/thailand/bangkok/transportation.html?trck=taBKK&sid=1000&trck=&lan=

1342 baht one way inc. tolls. I'm sure you'd find other agents cheaper, but would be careful just in case you pick a dodgy one. Once I was given a 'free' detour to a bar on the way to the hotel :-) I just took no interest in the girls, kept calm, smiled and I was on my way in 20 minutes. Live and learn!

At Don Muang I ended up always using the official taxi/limo kiosks in arrivals, but they are far too expensive at Swampy.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

No one know a Meaw or Mr.T kind of person in BKK?

Your MrT etc businesses are popular with Pattaya tourist because they are great value for money but it is going to be a cut throat deal that can beat the price of a Bangkok meter taxi.

Using one of the pre booked Pattaya services only works if they by chance have to be in the Airport around that time anyway.

Last week, I just happened to know that Nam's taxi was picking up a customer a couple of hours after my flight arrived at The airport. i needed to go to a BKK hotel, and she was happy to take me there before picking up her customer to Patts. But that was a fluke, simply because he is amate of mine, and I knew he was arriving that night...

But I agree with the previous poster.....

For trips into BKK from airport, all you ned to know is to say " use meter" and then be prepared to pay tolls..

When I was in Bangkok in October, it still used the old system. I am coming back again early next month but I will take the Bell Bus to go to Pattaya first. While I am waiting for the bus, I will go outside to have a look at the new system to see how bad it is.

So the airport management decided to fix something that wasn't broken? I will experience the new kiosk system very soon and it doesn't sound good.

This is the reason WHY i have my own private taxi driver. He'll always give me a flat rate which includes tolls....meaning NO BS!

If he's on another job he'll send either his brother or friend to pick me up...with the same prices of course!

I'll always give him a nice healthy tip for his ''no nonsense'' approach.  

whats the difference between a healthy tip and being ripped off?

just sorta ends up being the same, depending what healthy means.?

Member since Dec 06.

You could pre-arrange.  No need to pay deposit.  Driver wait for you.  1000 baht including toll.

I did not make my point clear, it was ~1700b by meter on, it should be like 1000b, I took taxi couple of times (before when it was possible) from departure level, asking who will drive to Pattaya for 1000b and twice they let meter on and price was around 1000b.

whats the difference between a healthy tip and being ripped off?

just sorta ends up being the same, depending what healthy means.?

I've know this guy for 8yrs so he's more of a friend than just a taxi driver...he's always there on time waiting for me at Door #3...the price hasn't changed in all this time, meaning its 1000B to Pattaya including tolls ....he doesn't drive like a maniac so get there safely every time....

So to answer your question i'll give him anything between 300B-400B tip.....& NO its not the same....your definition of ''being ripped off'' is obviously different to mine.  

I went a few weeks ago. As others have said, only 1 of the four machines in my line worked - and there's still 4 people to help you push a button.

In the taxi, there was a small laminated sign saying 1700 baht to Pattaya, the driver suggested 1500 baht though, so I just took it - I have no idea what the meter would say, if that was used.

I always prebook a taxi service like Mr. T, P.T taxi or whoever is available. Usually I can barely give them 36 hours notice, and they will still be able to help me out, but last time it was simply impossible to book anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Arrived in BKK last week (late afternoon) : situation even worse than described in my opening post.  

Two ticket issuing terminals out of order, number of 'helper' staff available reduced to one, surrounded by non-Thai speakers/first-time visitors seeking help.  No problems with getting the meter switched on, but my chatty driver said he and his colleagues hate the new system because it's causing them extended back-ups before a fare appears: he'd been waiting on the rank for over three hours.

If you're new to town and/or don't have your address written in Thai, it makes increasingly good sense to hire in advance, especially if you're heading out of the BKK metropolis.  As Ghosty of the deep south points out, you can skip the official taxi queue in Arrivals by heading for taxis dropping off at Departures.  Bit of a gamble whether the one-way gates (designed to prevent just that) are working and whether the driver will agree to put his meter on.  As others have pointed out, the train option is dirt cheap and can be quick into BKK, but changing trains/lugging suitcases is a chore after a long flight - you're on holiday, not a route march.  

Archived