Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Southern China Air...new A380 aircraft from USA (Los Angeles)

fundudewithatude

As Daddee notes, the card takes a while to come, but I think your passport is ready to go in a matter of minutes.  I didn't even realize i had a card, as I misplaced it after it arrived.  Came across it about 3 months ago, and I have had Global Entry for about a year and a half.

Any luck on getting an interview scheduled?

Yeah, the soonest was sep 17th. I was surprised it was pushed back that far. I guess lots of people in Las Vegas applying right now. So, do they mark your passport? How does that work?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, since this thread is already hijacked, I thought I'd ask a question about Global Entry.  I've had it for a couple of years, but I've never used any special TSA security line.  How does one do that?  Do I just tell them at check in to mark my boarding pass or something?

I don't usually have any issues on departure since I arrive at my home international airport pretty early, but my next trip has a domestic leg at the front end so I'm worried about getting through security and making my international leg in time. 

Yeah, the soonest was sep 17th. I was surprised it was pushed back that far. I guess lots of people in Las Vegas applying right now. So, do they mark your passport? How does that work?

I don't know if it is coded into your passport, if the passport has a chip or how it works, but I just read that it takes about 24 hours to be activated.  

As best as I can recall, you insert your passport into a kiosk at the TSA interview and they scan your fingerprints, linking it to the passport.  It's the same way you use the Global Entry kiosks when you come back into the country.

OK, since this thread is already hijacked, I thought I'd ask a question about Global Entry.  I've had it for a couple of years, but I've never used any special TSA security line.  How does one do that?  Do I just tell them at check in to mark my boarding pass or something?

I don't usually have any issues on departure since I arrive at my home international airport pretty early, but my next trip has a domestic leg at the front end so I'm worried about getting through security and making my international leg in time. 

Again, I'm not positive on this, but it's my understanding that you have to go into your frequent flier accounts and enter your Truster Traveler ID (either that or buy it with your ticket).

I went months without knowing I could use it on Southwest, but, once I entered by TT #, I consistently have gotten PreCheck on my boarding passes.

What I am NOT clear about is if you have your Global Entry and PreCheck is NOT marked on your boarding pass, if you can show it to the TSA agent and still use the PreCheck line.  I could be wrong, but I think if it is not marked on your boarding pass, then you do not get to go thru the minimalized screening, since it is not guaranteed that you will get it every time (same with those who have signed up for PreCheck).

Been reading up on CZ's baggage policy. Is it two bags no more then 23kg EACH? Some websites say it's 23kg total per passenger.

Again, I'm not positive on this, but it's my understanding that you have to go into your frequent flier accounts and enter your Truster Traveler ID (either that or buy it with your ticket).

I went months without knowing I could use it on Southwest, but, once I entered by TT #, I consistently have gotten PreCheck on my boarding passes.

What I am NOT clear about is if you have your Global Entry and PreCheck is NOT marked on your boarding pass, if you can show it to the TSA agent and still use the PreCheck line.  I could be wrong, but I think if it is not marked on your boarding pass, then you do not get to go thru the minimalized screening, since it is not guaranteed that you will get it every time (same with those who have signed up for PreCheck).

Hey, thanks for the info!  I went and put my TT# on all my frequent flier sites.  Might be too late for this next trip, but hopefully it helps in the future.

Hey, thanks for the info!  I went and put my TT# on all my frequent flier sites.  Might be too late for this next trip, but hopefully it helps in the future.

Now that's in, it should link to your boarding pass.  Another option is to show your Global Entry card to the person at the ticket counter and see if they may be able to get it input.

If not this next one, I hope it works out for you on future flights!

footy, don't you think you could walk into the pre check lane and show your global entry card?

footy, don't you think you could walk into the pre check lane and show your global entry card?

I recall reading somewhere that it does not work, but it's worth a shot if it is not on your boarding pass.  

It may have even been from a BM who was complaining in a thread that Global Entry and PreCheck weren't worth it because his friend always had to go through standard security (so NOT the most certain source!  5555555)

The reason that I'm not sure that it will work is because having Global Entry or PreCheck does not guarantee that you can go thru the pre-screen ed lane for TSA.  I guess they have the option of randomly having a few people sent thru standard security to as a means of additional security (over and above the whole application/interview process)

I have been very lucky with PreCheck, although in Austin, PreCheck and "those who need additional assistance" are the same line....that tends to slows things down!  55555

Would you guys say the biggest benefit of Global Entry / PreCheck is when you return?  Typically on my outbound, the line isn't so bad.  I get through pretty quickly.  It's the return line at custom that's the killer. 

Would you guys say the biggest benefit of Global Entry / PreCheck is when you return?  Typically on my outbound, the line isn't so bad.  I get through pretty quickly.  It's the return line at custom that's the killer. 

yep, when I landed in Honolulu I got to blow by at least 150 people, it was slick...

but flying domestically as well as internationally it also gets me the fast lane for security so that's very cool too.

:)

Absolutely - walking past the long immigration line, THEN going to the abbreviated customs line is awesome!  

You also don't have to fill out the firms -- it is done electronically when you get to the kiosk and the form prints out there.  It's not that big of an inconvenience, but I don't know my passport #, so I used to have to get it out during the flight to fill out the form.

I don't think PreCheck or Global Entry gets you much -- if any -- benefit leaving the US (think it is just for domestic flights)

Can anyone quickly go over the timing for this long haul. I was curious about when dinner was servrd , and what options are available for passengers. This will be the longest flight I haver been on. Want to find the perfect timing to take my sleeping pils. I don't want to take them and then see dinner is being served.

Can anyone quickly go over the timing for this long haul. I was curious about when dinner was servrd , and what options are available for passengers. This will be the longest flight I haver been on. Want to find the perfect timing to take my sleeping pils. I don't want to take them and then see dinner is being served.

I assume it varies by carrier, and would suggest that you contact them to determine the specifics.

In my experience, though, the first meal service is done fairly early into the flight, which allows the passengers to eat, then sleep.

It is a great flight to get sleep on.  Depart 10:30 pm from LAX.  Watch a movie, dinner is served, take a sleeping pill (with or without a glass of wine), watch a movie, sleep 6-8 hours, breakfast served, movie, and land in Guangzhou, China around 5:40 am.  90 min layover. Movie and land in BKK at 10:50 am.

Yes, first meal served early then  you have a good 8 hours of sleep afterwards.

How was the dinner/breakfast? I assume they give you choice of western or Asian of each?

I was pleasantly surprised the food was average and barely edible because I expected worse...would recommend the Asian choice which was usually fish. Bring some snacks with you because I don't remember any decent dining options in CAN and beware the coffee is around $12

First meal service is about an hour after takeoff. Frankly, though, you wouldn't be missing much. On TATL flights I usually instruct the purser not to wake me and set the bed and sleep as soon as wheels are off the ground. TPAC flights are a bit longer, so I partake in the first meal service before going to sleep.

I was pleasantly surprised the food was average and barely edible because I expected worse...would recommend the Asian choice which was usually fish. Bring some snacks with you because I don't remember any decent dining options in CAN and beware the coffee is around $12

How bad is immigration at CAN? Any restaurants open that early?

How bad is immigration at CAN? Any restaurants open that early?

It was smooth outbound and inbound....I don't remember any restaurants being open early, only coffee/tea places

The problem with most of mainland china is the people have been treated like cattle most their lives. First come, first served. They do not know what a line (que) is.  

I am dating a Chinese girl in the states and we discuss this all the time.  China is really trying to become more westernized. but they have a long way to go.  The tourist groups are trying to teach them travel etiquette.  The upper class has a lot of money and they are just now starting to explore the world.  It is going to take time before they adapt to the western ways.  I anticipate 5-10 years before they understand.    

I live in a city just outside Los Angeles and it is about 40-45% Chinese.  They are buying up the houses in CASH. I am not talking small amounts.  I am talking $1,000,000 to $2,000,000 USD.  The house next to me was for sale and was purchased by a Chinese investor for $1,000,000 USD.  They demolished the house and rebuilt. The new house is on the market for $3,000,000 USD.  This is not isolated. There are no less than 50 of these projects in my neighborhood.  

Lucky for me my Chinese girl is open to my trips to LOS. One thing the asian culture is used to is a husband who has gf's.  I am a lucky man.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my interview with CBP for global entry today. I had the last appointment of the day, so they were running about 15mins behind. Interview took about 5 minutes total. No sweat, and your instantly enrolled in the program.

As I understand it, the Global Entry Card is just used for ground travel at Mexican or Canadian border. Doesn't do anything for air travel. I never found the spot on the Global Entry web site to activate my card and I don't seem to need it for my trips.

You have to store your Number on your airline's web site because that is the only way the kiosk will know your flight number, etc. when you stick your passport into it on return. It is also how your airline's computer knows to put "PreCheck" on your boarding pass.

There is a separate PreCheck only status you can buy/qualify for that works domestic only and costs a little less than Global Entry. The PreCheck service is included as a subset of Global Entry.

Not every US airport has implemented PreCheck yet. Foreign airports do not use the US PreCheck system, so no advantage at the other end.

Archived