IGNORED

Southern China Air...new A380 aircraft from USA (Los Angeles)

fundudewithatude

As I understand it, the Global Entry Card is just used for ground travel at Mexican or Canadian border. Doesn't do anything for air travel. I never found the spot on the Global Entry web site to activate my card and I don't seem to need it for my trips.

You have to store your Number on your airline's web site because that is the only way the kiosk will know your flight number, etc. when you stick your passport into it on return. It is also how your airline's computer knows to put "PreCheck" on your boarding pass.

There is a separate PreCheck only status you can buy/qualify for that works domestic only and costs a little less than Global Entry. The PreCheck service is included as a subset of Global Entry.

Not every US airport has implemented PreCheck yet. Foreign airports do not use the US PreCheck system, so no advantage at the other end.

I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that PreCheck is only for domestic flights.

Now, if you are flying from, say, El Paso to LA, the changing to an international leg here, your PreCheck should work for the El Paso to LAX leg.

Also, although I have been very fortunate, you are not assured of getting to use the PreCheck line on every flight.  For security reasons (I assume), they occasionally fail to note it on boarding passes, thereby requiring the passenger to use the regaular lines.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand it, the Global Entry Card is just used for ground travel at Mexican or Canadian border. Doesn't do anything for air travel. I never found the spot on the Global Entry web site to activate my card and I don't seem to need it for my trips.

You have to store your Number on your airline's web site because that is the only way the kiosk will know your flight number, etc. when you stick your passport into it on return. It is also how your airline's computer knows to put "PreCheck" on your boarding pass.

There is a separate PreCheck only status you can buy/qualify for that works domestic only and costs a little less than Global Entry. The PreCheck service is included as a subset of Global Entry.

Not every US airport has implemented PreCheck yet. Foreign airports do not use the US PreCheck system, so no advantage at the other end.

Do you mean other then skipping the immigration line at the airport? The officer stated I just used a kiosk to skip through immigration. This is the reason I got it.

Do you mean other then skipping the immigration line at the airport? The officer stated I just used a kiosk to skip through immigration. This is the reason I got it.

have come into the country once now since I got the global entry deal... skipped a HUGE line, did not have to fill out any of the forms they gave me on the plane, just scanned my passport and answered a couple of questions on a screen, it squirted out a little piece of paper, then I walked through another checkpoint and handed the paper to someone...  took less than 5 minutes.  was very nice!

have gotten precheck on all my tickets since getting global entry, I really like skipping the line at security...  have done so in Reno, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Seattle and Honolulu.

I had precheck last trip when I boarded in sea-tac for tokyo...  

That is GREAT news!  I hope they start allowing it at LAX

Got my conditional approval for Global Entry, but don't think I will be able to schedule the interview until after my next visit.  Can I still use this?

Got my conditional approval for Global Entry, but don't think I will be able to schedule the interview until after my next visit.  Can I still use this?

Not until after the interview

I found an earlier time slot that worked for me at SeaTac as I was there on a layover, sometimes slots open up, so if you are doing any traveling check other cities/times.

I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that PreCheck is only for domestic flights.

Now, if you are flying from, say, El Paso to LA, the changing to an international leg here, your PreCheck should work for the El Paso to LAX leg.

Also, although I have been very fortunate, you are not assured of getting to use the PreCheck line on every flight.  For security reasons (I assume), they occasionally fail to note it on boarding passes, thereby requiring the passenger to use the regaular lines.

I got PreCheck for my flight to London, Heathrow last month. They may, indeed, randomly omit PreCheck sometimes, just to keep you honest, though I usually print my boarding pass at home the day before my flight, so I would know when I pack whether I have it.

Membership in the Global Entry Program lets you skip immigration when you return to the US, but not when you arrive in other countries. The Global Entry CARD is not used for the kiosks in the airports. If your Trusted Traveller number was stored in your airline's frequent flyer profile, the kiosk computer will look up your flight details when you insert your passport. (And you had better be doing it in the airport at which your plane ticket said you would arrive.) Then, after verifying fingerprints and answering a couple Yes/No questions, it will print out a pass which lets you use a special line to skip immigration and customs. (I suppose, if you have something to declare, you still have to stop at customs to declare it)

As I said, I think the CARD is just used at ground border crossings which probably don't have kiosks. The card is more like a special photo ID. I don't know what kind of lines they have, since I haven't made a ground entry from Canada or Mexico since passports were required.

The Interview is when they take your fingerprints. You can't use the Global Entry Kiosk without fingerprints on record for it to check.

I had precheck last trip when I boarded in sea-tac for tokyo...  

I got PreCheck for my flight to London, Heathrow last month. They may, indeed, randomly omit PreCheck sometimes, just to keep you honest, though I usually print my boarding pass at home the day before my flight, so I would know when I pack whether I have it.

Were you guys on US-based carriers?

I just realized there is no way I could have gotten PreCheck, because my Trusted Traveler # was nowhere to be found on my Cathay reservation.  

Next trip is on EVA, so I may sneak a peek if there is a way to log it in before my flight.

Were you guys on US-based carriers?

I just realized there is no way I could have gotten PreCheck, because my Trusted Traveler # was nowhere to be found on my Cathay reservation.  

Next trip is on EVA, so I may sneak a peek if there is a way to log it in before my flight.

I flew on Delta.

I think you don't enter your TT# when you make your reservation. As far as I know, you must have a profile stored on the airline's web site. Delta will prompt you to make sure all info is stored before you pay for the ticket. Maybe Cathay or EVA are different, since they are foreign carriers. See if they have a frequent flyer program you can join. That will give you a profile and you should be able to enter TT# there.

Delta used to give me some PreCheck boarding passes even before I had Global Entry, just because I had the Silver level frequent flyer status.

Been toying around with the idea of upgrading to business class for this flight. Anyone have any experience with this? Do they give you the option at check in for a discounted price? If so, is it even worth it?

• 2 weeks later...

bummer! These interviews are like 3 months out

Not usually. After you get the interview date you can go online and reschedule it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just used my TSA Pre√ for the first time for a domestic flight. Was in and out of security in about 3 minutes. Well worth the money!

Just used my TSA Pre√ for the first time for a domestic flight. Was in and out of security in about 3 minutes. Well worth the money!

Agree 100%. Leave shoes on, computer packed, very nice... Boarding shortly, bkk bound!

Agree 100%. Leave shoes on, computer packed, very nice... Boarding shortly, bkk bound!

Safe travels -- try to stay dry!

I leave late Saturday night (ironically, on the China Southern A380 that is the subject of this thread!).  Forecast looks like rain -- lots of it! -- every day that I am there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just boarded at LAX. No problems checking in and they had my seat assignment correct from Orbitz. Sitting on the upper deck in cattle class. Seats are a little hard. But only have one neighboor. I'll give an update after the flight.

So here's my short recap:

CZ's business class seating was fine.  Not quite as good as Cathay or EVA in my opinion, but still good.  My ticket did book through in first class (business?) on the connecting flights between Guangzhou and Bangkok (I was in 2C on both).  First class section on the connecting flights is very limited (I think only 8 seats), so maybe if it fills up they punt you back to economy?

One tip: if you fly CZ's A380 in biz class, get a seat on one of the side sections, not the center section.  The center section seats didn't have NEAR as much storage, as the side seats have large storage "boxes" up against the walls of the plane.

Service was hit and miss -- I had one adorable flight attendant who wanted to chat with me to work on her English and pronunciation, and the flight attendants were fairly attentive.  The food was just okay.  Not near as good as Cathay and probably a notch below EVA.  The entertainment offerings were very limited.

It was my first (and second, coming back) time on an A380 -- those big ass planes take a LONG time to board!  I think I was in my seat for 45 minutes to an hour before we took off, because they board business class first.

Second tip: if you are in business class, make sure the desk agent puts a "priority" tag on your bag.  The woman in Bangkok left mine off, and I had to wade through the gazillion bags coming off of the plane before finally finding mine.  It took forever.

I tried to have the miles credited to my Korean Air account, but will wait and see if that works.  The desk agents said "no problem", so I'm hoping it works.  I figure that will add 21k or 22k miles to my Korean account and should have me on the verge of enough miles for a one way first class ticket (banked over 60k from 2 credit cards).

Overall assessment is that I would fly them again.  I will definitely continue to try to use miles on Cathay and EVA, but China Southern is an option I would consider.

Service wise the trip was decent. I actually got treated with better service then then mainlanders did. The attendant I had was a hottie, and checked on me a few extra times. The upper deck window seats are money. That extra storage unit is a life saver for a long haul like that. As footy said that a380 is a beast! It took forever to board and I didn't think we were going to even takeoff. It felt like the plane was hovering. The connecting flight was crazy. I don't know if they had some rookie pilot or what. He came in like he was flying a f-15. Overall for the money. I have no issues flying CZ again. All the horror stories must be old posts. If you can deal with people snorting and coughing all over the place you will be good.

Archived