Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Absolute rubbish.

Some of the best restaurants in the world serve salted butter and I know this because I worked in them.

I have eaten in hundreds of European restaurants and most serve salted butter with their bread.

The guy specifically mentioned Europe, which I took to mean mainland Europe.  I lived on the continent for 10 years (Germany, France and Holland) and that's my recollection (unsalted butter).  

Salted and whipped for me.

Skally likes his butter fluffy.

You been in that funny country too long, the goofy noofy's are wearing of in you.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk

You been in that funny country too long, the goofy noofy's are wearing of in you.

haha, skally lives on the west coast, the newfies are on the east coast. Edited by One hung low
  • Like 2

Whipped butter?Now there's a party.

haha, skally lives on the west coast, the newfies are on the east coast.

Good Jesus I hit me tum wit me ammer.

:GoldenSmile1:  haha

Personally im worried re the quality of the toothpicks!! are they organic? from sustainable forests? is the tree put down mercifully?

I ate at Steak & Co with my GF on the 17th August. 

I ordered the Surf and Turf, medium rare with a side of hand cut chips. The steak itself was enjoyable and served medium rare. Although the steak was big, it was not thick enough to get quite enough consistent charring on the outside and still remain medium rare inside. The beef itself though, I think is actually better than Beefeaters.

steak.jpg

There were 2 whole prawns, 4 peeled prawns and vegetables accompanying the steak. The 4 peeled prawns were to me precooked cocktail prawns and not enjoyable with the steak. I put the whole prawns aside too. Kind of defeats the purpose of why I ordered a surf and turf really.

One of my top hates at restaurants is being served unpeeled prawns or even worse, unpeeled whole prawns with there heads on too. I was expecting grilled prawns as pictured below.

Surf_and_turf.jpg

I did not like the carrots but the other vegetable were OK.

Moving onto the hand cut chips. I wouldn't call them chips, to me these are wedges with their skin still on and not what I was expecting. They were VERY nice though and so were the sauces that went with them. I will try the French fries next time, hopefully these are what I classify as chips and not similar to what you get at McDonald's as to me that's what French fries really are.

My GF does not eat any meat, although she does eat fish/seafood. It was quite difficult for her to choose anything from the menu as there was not a single steak, burger or main option for her. She went with the prawn cocktail and the mussels in white wine and lemon juice in the end. She said her prawn cocktail and mussels were nice. I tried the mussels too and they were tasty, we could not get through a whole 1kg of them though.

Although my review is not glowing and I will not be ordering their Surf and Turf again, I hope this review is taken constructively. I reckon this place has a lot of potential. I do believe the chef would have nailed the steak if it were smaller but thicker as the beef is really good and for this fact it is why I will return again to see! If they put a fish/seafood dish or 2 in the mains menu I could possibly end up eating here regularly with the GF. Something like the seafood steak Fuji offers might fit the theme.

Fuji.jpg

• Like 2

I use a lot of butter at home for cooking and using on bread in Thailand, most of the cheap ones are horrible, salted or not, I have tried most.

The only one I like is salted Anchor pure New Zealand butter, available from Makro or Freindship for B98, you might like to try that one IAN if its in your budget range

Salted butter is for “cheap” places, just to hide it has been warmed up (a problem especially in hot countries like Thailand) or to hide it is plain bad quality.

I have never been to a “better” restaurant in Europe where the butter was salted.

Not so. Try any of the MPW restaurants and salted butter is what you get. Menu link below, check the starters top right:

http://wheelersangel.com/_/pdfs/angel-steak.pdf

Very difficult to please everybody. Ian seems to be putting a lot of effort into his new venture and I sincerely hope he pulls it off.

The Beefeater is the reference point for steak restaurants in Pattaya. I've had plenty of excellent meals there but I have had a couple that went wrong with the cooking times which were however always rectified.

Mistakes are bound to happen. It's how you handle them and what you learn from them that counts and that seems to be what Ian needs to work on a bit.

Look forward to visiting again in December.

Mistakes are bound to happen. It's how you handle them and what you learn from them that counts ...

Hits the nail on the head.  Who is actually running/supervising the restaurant operations?  Whoever it is (not the chef) should be taking ownership of the issues as and when they arise - not later on an internet forum.

Edited by filibuster

Thank you for the review, I am glad you thought our meat was superior to Beefeaters, we do use superior bread of beef and give a larger 250g Ribeye portion. We are going to re-plate the Surf & Turf tonight, there will be no more unpeeled prawns from now on, the Ribeye will be rolled in a ballotine and sliced at 250g, thus it will be thicker when cut & visually more attractive.

We took your advice of the "hand cut chips" and re-named them "hand cut potato wedges", I have spoken to Chef regarding a fish main course and we agreed once the restaurant is busier we will carry Salmon steak & offer daily specials such as "Catch of the Day" ... but this all work in progress! 

The issue with the sauces poured over part of the steak and a jug of sauce on the side largely related to traditional steak meals such as Au Poivre, Rossini & Diana, these dishes are traditionally are plated with some sauce on the plate & we intend to stick to that, it would be very unusual to have a peppered steak with anything other then peppercorn sauce or Rossini without a Madeira sauce... you may note Beefeaters also do the same. I have adjusted the menu to state the sauce is plated so customers can make an informed decision. 

We have moved the "plain steaks" (un-sauced) to the top of the steak section, so if you want a Ribeye with Red wine sauce (or any other sauce) it will only be served "on the side" never poured over the steak... 

Steak&Co_menu-Ultimate.jpg

Edited by China Garden

I had never eaten at Beefeaters before today and thought it fair play to compare their meal to Steak & Co's!

The head waitress gave me the evil look for plonking myself on the bench seat, table for six outside, as sarcastically as I could I reassured her that if a party of 6 turned up and 3 pm in afternoon and wish to sit outside I will happily move!  I ordered a coke @ 50B.

Waitress #2 promptly served my coke, menu's and fussed about with the fans for me, I ordered the 200G sirloin medium rare @ 595B, S&C 250G @ the same price.  I found the menu confusing and hard to read, if you wanted a 300G steak you order 2 X 150G steaks, if you wanted a 400G steak you order 2 x 200G steaks  WTF?

I asked waitress #2 for Worcestershire sauce, blank look and goes get head waitress who informs me of what they do have, Worcestershire not being one of them and not a chance of going to 7 for a bottle!

White pepper shaker on the table, big fail for me!  White pepper is for cooking, freshly cracked black pepper is for steak!

Creamy pepper sauce, average pub grub fare.

post-82617-0-73851700-1409053282_thumb.jpg

This potato gratin was the winner of the meal, the right balance of cream and cheese, cooked golden brown.

post-82617-0-13164800-1409053300_thumb.jpg

Looking at The Grill marks she had been turned more than once.

post-82617-0-79953900-1409053330_thumb.jpg

The veggies where covered in oil and a bad oil at that!

post-82617-0-03668700-1409053359_thumb.jpg

Borderline tasty cut of meat with no firmness or texture!  I am tipping that it was defrosted!

post-82617-0-40351500-1409053391_thumb.jpg

A cold shrivelled up piece of tomato on a cold plate.

post-82617-0-64690400-1409053508_thumb.jpg

Good marketing putting a business card in the check bin folder.

post-82617-0-35082800-1409053533_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Great idea about the business cards in the folder ! We are picking up our business this coming Monday !   www.steakcopattaya.com is under construction....

Chilled Australian beef is a must for a steakhouse ..

The Worcester sauce we had in a cupboard in a corridor outside the kitchen :-)   7-11 dont sell it  hahaha

Thanks for a fair comparison 

Edited by China Garden

Great idea about the business cards in the folder ! We are picking up our business this coming Monday !   www.steakcopattaya.com is under construction....

Chilled beef is a must for a steakhouse ...

By defrosted i meant that it had been frozen and thawed!

Chilled Australian beef is a must for a steakhouse ..

The Worcester sauce we had in a cupboard in a corridor outside the kitchen :-)   7-11 dont sell it  hahaha

Thanks for a fair comparison 

Oh wealy!  Head Chef handed me the Worcestershire sauce and told me he had just purchased it!  Read my review again it is stated there!

• Like 1

Oh wealy!  Head Chef handed me the Worcestershire sauce and told me he had just purchased it!  Read my review again it is stated there!

:GoldenSmile1:  Definitely purchased @ Makro ... I bought a small bottle in Villa today and handed it to Chef, he asked "what's that for?", I have two big bottles in the cupboard from Makro....  Oh well, its there if requested along with English mustard, horseradish  etc 

Edited by China Garden

By defrosted i meant that it had been frozen and thawed!

Eaten in there twice and both times the meet had been frozen and Thawed out..No firmness to the steak, very little blood and a dull grey colour! 

NEVER AGAIN  :Puke2: 

PS...Sorry should have said Beefeater  :hello09: 

Eaten in there twice and both times the meet had been frozen and Thawed out..No firmness to the steak, very little blood and a dull grey colour! 

NEVER AGAIN  :Puke2: 

To make it clear to everyone ... thats Beefeater !! haha  :hello09:  Not Steak & Co.     :GoldenSmile1:

I dont mean to knock anyone... just making it clear thats who your posting about 

Edited by China Garden
  • Like 2

:GoldenSmile1:  Definitely purchased @ Makro ... I bought a small bottle in Villa today and handed it to Chef, he asked "what's that for?", I have two big bottles in the cupboard from Makro....  Oh well, its there if requested along with English mustard, horseradish  etc 

What about "Dijon Mustard" :Think1:

After writing my review today I got the taste for another steak and decided I would go to Steak and Co again to compare what I have had most from the Pattaya steak restaurants. Today I ordered the 250gm rib eye steak(medium rare), French fries(Chips) and bearnaise sauce as I would have ordered that combo 30+ times by now across the various steakhouses here. 

Tonight's steak was perfectly seared on the outside, yet still cooked medium rare and the bearnaise sauce was good also. I noted that the steak itself was slightly smaller than my last one and did not appear any thicker. (I do recall thinking my steak last time around was big for a 250gm cut)

The carrots were noticeably better and enjoyable. I enjoyed the tomato (cored out with spinach filling is it?) too. The other vegetables under the steak were again edible but nothing to get excited about, I just tried to get through them as quickly as possible to only have the steak left to go and smother in bearnaise sauce.

The French fries were indeed what I call chips and tasted as good as I have had anywhere in Pattaya, the dipping sauces were again good too.

I was so hungry tonight I forgot to get a photo, sorry about that.

For the others who have been talking about the bread and butter, both tasted OK in my opinion. After finishing my meal, I did notice when I looked towards the kitchen though there was a large plastic storage container with the bread in it which did look visually unappealing.

I am also not the easiest person to please and always have high expectations, so tonight I would have to say they did a really good job. Now I guess the next thing I want to know is can Steak & Co consistently keep up or even raise the standard? 

Edited by malaulker
  • Like 2

I was back in Steak & Co last night for a 250Gram Rib eye Steak. The girlfriend was not too Hungry so she only had Thai food. 

On my first Visit i had the Blue Cheese Burger which was great. I was hoping that the steak would live up to the Hype. 

I was not Disappointed, Medium Rare Perfectly Cooked with a Peppercorn Sauce not poured on the Steak! and a side of Hand Cut Wedges. 

The Staff were very attentive confirming my order twice before leaving the table. 

Bread was served (i miss the paprika Butter) 

IMAG17321.jpg

The Steak arrived and presented very nicely 

IMAG17331.jpg

I have eaten steaks all over the world and this will take some beating it melted in my mouth and the Sauce was not over creamy just how a peppercorn sauce should be. Im not a huge fan of Vegetables but what i did eat tasted nice and sweet with a good crunch.

91/2 out of 10 for the food

Next visit will be to try the ribs.  

Join the party Facebook.com/trianglebar

The char on triangle bars steak is good.

Good to here you are trying to make them thicker Ian and put a really good char on those bad boys!

• Like 1

I will have to give you a try in october.

• Like 1