IGNORED

China Garden Restaurant - For RENT (New Offer)

China Garden

China Garden Restaurant – Available for Rent

We are offering the China Garden restaurant rent, it is a well-run business based in heart of Soi Lengkee close to the thriving LK Metro area.  

Reason for sub-leasing the restaurant

My Thai manager is leave at the end of April however I do not believe the restaurant business has maximised its potential. The restaurant is the most demanding and difficult part of my business, it requires constant management to ensure both customer satisfaction & profitability.

Lease Agreement

I am offering a 3+3 year sub-lease with an option to extend if I am granted a longer master-lease. The master-lease was signed on 1st January 2014 for 3+3 years. The landlord is fully aware of my intention to sub-lease the restaurant business & the master-lease “does not prohibit sub-leasing”.

Rent

You are renting the ground floor restaurant & kitchen for the first 3 years 70,000 Baht rising to 90,000 Baht in the latter 3 years. I retain all income from the guest-house.

Deposit

2 months’ rent is required as a refundable deposit (terms & conditions apply) & 1 months’ rent is payable in advance (210,000 Baht total).

Work Permit

China Garden’s lease is held by a 2 million baht company, if you require a work permit this can be easily arranged but at your expense (50,000 Baht estimated).

My Investment in you

I will invest 500,000 Baht to re-model the China Garden restaurant in May, we can refresh & re-invent the China Garden up-dating the “style or cuisine” of the restaurant.

I will retain / employ 4 Receptionists at a cost to “me”, these staff will primarily be dealing with guests checking-in but also available as “cashiers to you”. Their salaries will “save you at least 30,000 Baht per month” in staffing costs.

Owner / Managers Accommodation Provided

You will be given access to a one bedroom apartment on the top floor, this can be used by yourself or appointed manager.

What I need from you

• You need to be of good character
  • Have restaurant experience
  • Serious about running a professional business

Bottom Line

• No-investment required
  • 4 Staff supplied & paid for by me
  • 500,000 Baht investment in a re-modelling by me
  • Optional work-permit
  • Fully furnished kitchen & restaurant
  • Accommodation
  • All licenses & permits already in place
  • Fantastic location
  • Retain our chefs / re-train them or bring in your own

I have listed the business for sale, but once I rent the ground floor I will withdraw the business for sale and sign in to your lease that I will “retain the master-lease” for the entire duration of your sub-lease.

If you are interested please email me at [email protected]  

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a good opportunity for a chef or restaurateur to operate their own business in Pattaya with little or no investment except your time & passion.  

Untitled-1.jpg

Interesting shift of tactics. Wish I had restaurant experience--I'd love to work with you.

I can’t comment on the rooms of China Garden, but the restaurant has become a dump.
Shortly after opening the restaurant was OK, but it went downhill very fast.
The portions became smaller and the quality poorer, prices went up and less was included.
Some days ago I walked by at 9 p.m. and it was empty with bored staff hanging around.
In your other thread you talked about 4 “chefs” you paid 10,000 baht a month.
Even a layman knows you will not find a decent cook in Pattaya for less than 30,000 baht a month.

Interesting shift of tactics. Wish I had restaurant experience--I'd love to work with you.

Its a "big win" for any potential tenant & a "big win" for me knowing the restaurant is well managed & the rooms almost sell themselves. I had a long conversation with the building owner last night, he re-iterated that he has no interest in running a business in Thailand due to his UK work commitments & will be looking to continue renting the building beyond the next 6 years. There's no reason for me to sell a profitable business except for the daily running of the restaurant, which hopefully I can figure out with the right person.

Ian

I can’t comment on the rooms of China Garden, but the restaurant has become a dump.

Shortly after opening the restaurant was OK, but it went downhill very fast.

The portions became smaller and the quality poorer, prices went up and less was included.

Some days ago I walked by at 9 p.m. and it was empty with bored staff hanging around.

In your other thread you talked about 4 “chefs” you paid 7,500 baht a month.

Even a layman knows you will not find a decent cook in Pattaya for less than 30,000 baht a month.

You made me laugh, well done!  Looking around at other Pattaya restaurant one thing I would never describe China Garden as is "a dump". Perhaps its not the Manhattan's of the world or Michelin Stared venue you are used to eating at, but its well designed, clean and spacious in a great location. Did I forget to mention the 500,000 Baht re-vamp ? Or didnt you read that. I have clearly stated the restaurant is "under-performing" and changing the cuisine is definitely an option. 

Your information is incorrect, please quote me were I said the chef's were paid 7,500. The kitchen porter is paid 7000 Baht, but having run 4 restaurants in Pattaya I can assure you "as a layman" I have never paid 30,000 Baht to a chef. Can I ask the name of your restaurant ? As you clearly have such an insightful view.

If you read the other thread offering the business for sale may see other opinions complimenting the portion sizes and quality of the food, your entitled to your opinion of course but don't miss quote me. 

If someone wants to open an Italian, Mexican, Steak-house or Seafood restaurant, they are welcome to do so! Hell, I am even paying for the renovations.

What your own staff ? Fine!

Want to re-train our chefs, completely up to you, at least the dont cost 30,000 Baht a month each, Christ that 120,000 Baht for 4 chefs!

What I am offering is "fully fitted, fully furnished restaurant in a great location" at a very reasonable price.... thats it!

Ian

You made me laugh, well done!  Looking around at other Pattaya restaurant one thing I would never describe China Garden as is "a dump". Perhaps its not the Manhattan's of the world or Michelin Stared venue you are used to eating at, but its well designed, clean and spacious in a great location. Did I forget to mention the 500,000 Baht re-vamp ? Or didnt you read that. I have clearly stated the restaurant is "under-performing" and changing the cuisine is definitely an option. 

Your information is incorrect, please quote me were I said the chef's were paid 7,500. The kitchen porter is paid 7000 Baht, but having run 4 restaurants in Pattaya I can assure you "as a layman" I have never paid 30,000 Baht to a chef. Can I ask the name of your restaurant ? As you clearly have such an insightful view.

If you read the other thread offering the business for sale may see other opinions complimenting the portion sizes and quality of the food, your entitled to your opinion of course but don't miss quote me. 

If someone wants to open an Italian, Mexican, Steak-house or Seafood restaurant, they are welcome to do so! Hell, I am even paying for the renovations.

Want to re-train our chefs, completely up to you, at least the dont cost 30,000 Baht a month each, Christ that 120,000 Baht for 4 chefs!

What I am offering is "fully fitted, fully furnished restaurant in a great location" at a very reasonable price.... thats it!

Ian

You’re right about the 10,000 baht; I corrected it in my post.

For the rest I look at it with the eyes of a customer, which is what counts.

Ian

You’re contradicting yourself.

In 2011 you were looking for a chef and ready to pay a starting salary, not of 30,000, but of 50,000 baht a month: http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/82672-chinese-chef-required/

You’re contradicting yourself.

In 2011 you were looking for a chef and ready to pay a starting salary, not of 30,000, but of 50,000 baht a month: http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/82672-chinese-chef-required/

HaHa your amazing, bravo! The 50,000 Baht was for a "western chef" from the UK, we dismissed him shortly after and sued him for breaching his contract which we won, I wont go in to the messy details on a public forum.

Thai chefs, who we currently employ "as stated" are on nothing like 30,000 Baht per month.

You’re right about the 10,000 baht; I corrected it in my post.

For the rest I look at it with the eyes of a customer, which is what counts.

I look with customers eye & as a businessman, both are equality important and to be successful you need both

This is welcome news to many a cook in Pattaya, sadly none of the places I have owned. 

Hi Ian what are your current monthly restaurant nett profits averaging out over the past 6 months ? Does the restaurant supply food and drinks to staying guests or is that sold by the guest house.

What would your % of guests eating at the restaurant be on average for past 6 months?

What are your restaurant opening hours and busiest times?

What size is the accommodation for renter and can u post a photo either pm or here.

Also what are your electric and water costs?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ian what are your current monthly restaurant nett profits averaging out over the past 6 months ? Does the restaurant supply food and drinks to staying guests or is that sold by the guest house. What would your % of guests eating at the restaurant be on average for past 6 months? Also what are your electric and water costs? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We operate on a 1/3 nett margin, an example of this is:  

• Raw Produce costs 50 Baht
  • 50 Baht calculated for over-heads such as staff & electric,
  • 50 Baht for Nett Profit

So a dish costing 50 Baht raw will be sold at 150 Baht, there are more profitable dishes such as Egg Fried Rice & drinks generally we "double our money". Its hard to give a precise amount of profit as there are some cross-overs with staffing, rent and consumables from the guest-house but appropriately 2 million profit on a turnover of 6,000,000 million per year (averages 16,000 per day). In high season we make take 30,000+ Baht per day, in low season it will be 10,000 - 15,000 Baht per day. 

The entire building electricity supply is 50,000 Baht, we would separately wire the ground floor to a metre and expect the bill to be approximately 15,000 Baht per month if you maintian an air-conditioned restaurant. The water bill is 5000 Baht for the entire building, we would accept 1000 Baht as your share of that bill monthly.

Each of the 12 room has a menu from the restaurant, we do offer room service. We are also in Waiters on Wheels and have sales of around 40,000 - 60,000 Baht per month. 

http://wowpattaya.com/menu/chinese/china-garden-2.html

Please note, I consider sales of 16,000 Baht per day "extremely disappointing". A restaurant of this size and location should average 40,000 - 60,000 in High Season and 20,000 - 30,000 in Low Season, a quick win for any potential tenant is to open for breakfast, which we currently do not offer since we only sell Chinese food!   

So a dish costing 50 Baht raw will be sold at 150 Baht, there are more profitable dishes such as Egg Fried Rice & drinks generally we "double our money". Its hard to give a precise amount of profit as there are some cross-overs with staffing, rent and consumables from the guest-house but appropriately 2 million profit on a turnover of 6,000,000 million per year (averages 16,000 per day). In high season we make take 30,000+ Baht per day, in low season it will be 10,000 - 15,000 Baht per day. 

The entire building electricity supply is 50,000 Baht, we would separately wire the ground floor to a metre and expect the bill to be approximately 15,000 Baht per month.  The water bill is 5000 Baht for the entire building, we would accept 1000 Baht as your share of that bill monthly.

Each of the 12 room has a menu from the restaurant, we do offer room service. We are also in Waiters on Wheels and have sales of around 40,000 - 60,000 Baht per month. 

Please note, I consider sales of 16,000 Baht per day "extremely disappointing". A restaurant of this size and location should average 40,000 - 60,000 in High Season and 20,000 - 30,000 in Low Season, a quick win for any potential tenant is to open for breakfast, which we currently do not offer since we only sell Chinese food!   

So just to reiterate, Currently your nett profit after all expenses eg. materials,rent,rates,salaries averages at about 2 mill per year on the restaurant alone?

Is that correct?

The entire building electricity supply is 50,000 Baht, we would separately wire the ground floor to a metre and expect the bill to be approximately 15,000 Baht per month.  The water bill is 5000 Baht for the entire building, we would accept 1000 Baht as your share of that bill monthly.

So just to reiterate, Currently your nett profit after all expenses eg. materials,rent,rates,salaries averages at about 2 mill per year on the restaurant alone?

Is that correct?

Yes that is correct.  I would personally expect a double unit restaurant in Soi Lengkee to be making at least 4 million baht. When I had the Jolly Friar in Soi Lengkee, I made 2 million profit per year selling "99 Baht Fish n Chip" in a single unit, there are economies of scale here which enables you to have more tables & less over-all expenses. 

So out of that 2 mill I would need to pay 70000 rent per month = 840000 leaves 1.16 mill per yr in the first three years

roughly 20k a month profit before my cost of living and unforseeables ?

This is excluding any salary for myself and the cost for my work permit.

I am married to a Thai but I dont think that makes any difference for WP costs?

We also have 2 children so the logistics are quite complicated for a move.

That said I would have a lot to gain and a whole lot to lose by screwing things up which is always great motivation to work hard.

Sorry for all the questions but I have a lot to get straight in my head. I was a chef for 16 years and now I manage a large entertainment business.

The numbers get rusty when your more hands on deck than back office which is where I prefer to be. I leave the numbers for the accountants.

What other expenses would I expect to come out of that 20k?

I know your talking current worse case scenarios but with a refit and a relaunch I would expect income to be even less for a short period of time to build new clients and do marketing.

20k even without furthur expenses is not a lot of living cash for a family man.

Also if you were to hold onto the guesthouse as a non resident who is taking care if it?

Thanks

Here is a sample of our menu prices, anyone with a restaurant in Pattaya will be able to work out our margins.

CG-Page-(1)---Copy.jpg

CG-Page-(2).jpg

CG-Page-(3)---Copy.jpg

CG-Page-(20).jpg

Are you ovens big enough to prepare sufficiant numbers of roasts (meats,potatoes etc)

Are your hobs big enough to hold large boiling pots for seafood and stocks?

What if any are the health and safety requirements for owners and staff.

Thanks

Have you ever run a breakfast menu in the past and do u have the grills,fryers etc to do so.

It will also be tricky to keep the Brand if we dont do Chinise food but expensive to rebrand everything if we dont?

I looked at some Pattaya businesses a couple of years ago. This strikes me as a very good offer... With the caveat that you need to want to be in the restaurant business and have a passion and vision for it.

I applaud the OP for his honesty re the situation and apparent willingness to make a fair offer. Hope it works out ... Could be brilliant if you find the right person to make it go ...

So out of that 2 mill I would need to pay 70000 rent per month = 840000 leaves 1.16 mill per yr in the first three years roughly 20k a month profit before my cost of living and unforseeables ? This is excluding any salary for myself and the cost for my work permit. I am married to a Thai but I dont think that makes any difference for WP costs? We also have 2 children so the logistics are quite complicated for a move. That said I would have a lot to gain and a whole lot to lose by screwing things up which is always great motivation to work hard. Sorry for all the questions but I have a lot to get straight in my head. I was a chef for 16 years and now I manage a large entertainment business. The numbers get rusty when your more hands on deck than back office which is where I prefer to be. I leave the numbers for the accountants. What other expenses would I expect to come out of that 20k? I know your talking current worse case scenarios but with a refit and a relaunch I would expect income to be even less for a short period of time to build new clients and do marketing. 20k even without furthur expenses is not a lot of living cash for a family man. Also if you were to hold onto the guesthouse as a non resident who is taking care if it? Thanks

Your calculations are correct, if the business stayed as it was today your reparations would be £20,000 or approx 1.2 million Baht. Accommodation is provided (possibly not suitable for a family long term), food can be prepared on-site by yourself, work-permits cost around 50,000 Baht. All things considered with little or no living expenses 1.2 million baht is quite a comfortable income for Thailand, most Western Teachers earn 30,000 Thai Baht per month as an example. 

As you are an experienced chef I would strongly advise you to play to your strengths, if you are classically trained use that experience in the restaurant. If you specialize in a certain type of cuisine see if there's a demand for it in Pattaya.

Are you ovens big enough to prepare sufficiant numbers of roasts (meats,potatoes etc)

Are your hobs big enough to hold large boiling pots for seafood and stocks?

What if any are the health and safety requirements for owners and staff.

Thanks

Have you ever run a breakfast menu in the past and do u have the grills,fryers etc to do so.

It will also be tricky to keep the Brand if we dont do Chinise food but expensive to rebrand everything if we dont?

As the restaurant is currently equipped for Chinese food we have customised wok burners & commercial steamers, there are no ovens as we deep fry rib's & ducks etc.

As part of the re-vamp we could install an oven with a 4 burner top / change the wok-burners back to standard burners. 

Health & Safety is not an issue in Thailand but as we have high standards / open kitchen viewable to the dining room we maintain high levels regardless. 

Re-branding is not a major concern, costs are much lower in Thailand as is advertising etc.

I am classically trained and have experience with Thai , Italian and seafood cuisine. I also specialise in desserts of which decent ones are hard to find in patts :)

There were a few more questions in my above posts if you could answer them when u get the chance I would appreciate it.

We have been looking for an investment for a while now and this has a lot of potential. My main concern at the moment though is the practicality of having the family and living space. When we started our search we only had one child which was no problem but with two it changes a lot.

On the plus side we both know a lot of people in patts so word of mouth would be good.

Sorry for the many posts but new questions keep popping into the ever ticking brain.

How adaptable are your current chefs. Are they trained as Chinese chefs only ?What is the level of English with them and the other staff?

Why not take that 500,000 and do the Seafood Themed restaurant? Being able to charge by the pound makes your food cost simple to track etc. Just think China Garden put its best foot forward already and it was not a fit for the location? I have 16 plus years restaurant experience but am tied down here in the states with my business. Great opportunity is right!

Sorry for the many posts but new questions keep popping into the ever ticking brain.

How adaptable are your current chefs. Are they trained as Chinese chefs only ?What is the level of English with them and the other staff?

They can produce Thai & Chinese food, I know several of them have worked in European kitchens before but will definitely need re-training. They all speak English to a reasonable level, we have a computerised ordering system and it prints in the kitchen in English. 

Archived