Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Darkside Map Update

MongersMaps

This was something I started a couple of months back and then forgot about. Having recently spent time touring Isaan and the north, gathering waypoints on fairy light karaokes, local knocking shops, edge of town soapies, and back alley ladyhouses (its a tough job but someones gotta do it) I thought it was about time I did something with the data I gathered. 

So to try to help newbies navigate around I have just knocked up this. 

MAP LINK HERE >>>> http://goo.gl/maps/MgC1v

12047171334_b1c1a5b059_o.jpg

It is far far from complete, and of course bars will rapidly come and go, but if darkside regulars want to keep posting updates to this thread I will keep updating it. 

These days its really easy with a smartphone to waypoint, all you need to do in fact is set geolocation on, and take a photograph. That takes only a second or two and sets the waypoint for you. 

Ideally it can evolve to include contact details for each place and possibly even reviews of the bars. But this is just having spent an hour or two tidying up the list of markers..  

I will try to add a picture of each bar from street view or photos I took so even someone who have no idea what is what can easily find their way around and take the guesswork out of exploring. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To send the waypoint on any individual bar just Rt click on it and select 'more' then 'send' (or copy and paste) and you should end up with some link like this 

Aqua Deymie

12047798466_f87a956836_o.jpg

That of course opens up with the ability to do directions, opens on smartphones in google maps, easy stuff like that. 

You can also download the KML for the entire map to use with google earth or any mapping application that can handle google earth format co-ords 

==========================================================================================

Would love any feedback on anything that doesnt work, any bars closed already, and new bars to keep adding. 

If your going to suggest a new bar to be added, by far the best way to do so is, as I said, simply take a photo of the bar with location services turned on, then upload the photo.. I can then add it in exactly the correct place. Contact details for the bar would really be good (I didnt ask for those at the time and regret not doing it properly first time round). 

Really nice ! I bookmarked your map :)

There is an option to "collaborate", I will add some bars to your map. I send you a PM with my email.

Great idea and a great resource. I'll be happy to help too, if you you're open to collaboration. I'll PM my gmail address.

If someone is willing to ongoing add stuff I will see how the collaborate works.. But I have done mapping for other things before that I made public, and open to all, and got vandalized.. So am a little wary. I dont want to make it public like before as I have loads of GPS data gathered (for other areas) and it is too much to remember if places get moved by accident or even on purpose. Google doesnt have a 'revert' function to step back edits I dont think. Even if the maps are not damaged on purpose (as for sure happened with one of mine) its all too easy to click edit and drag and drop a marker by mistake.

For me the best system is to have the data complied with google earth placemarkers and then imported to the map (overwriting the existing data each time). 

If you just want to add or edit a few locations, simply send me the location marker and I will do it. 

I have now got loads of map data covering much of asia.. Cambodia, Laos, Etc etc.. Theres the basic framework for a decent guide or listing project. 

Google doesnt have a 'revert' function to step back edits I dont think.

You can save your actual map in your G+ profile (backup with a different name), and restore whenever you want.

You can save your actual map in your G+ profile (backup with a different name), and restore whenever you want.

Yes you can download the KML (how I archive) also.. But the problem is this is just a tiny area.. I have maps like this for much of asia.. Its hard for me to know if or when a waypoint gets moved, or that its out, as theres no edit tracking and roll back.. Like a wiki has. 

If someone is willing to ongoing add stuff I will see how the collaborate works.. But I have done mapping for other things before that I made public, and open to all, and got vandalized.. So am a little wary. I dont want to make it public like before as I have loads of GPS data gathered (for other areas) and it is too much to remember if places get moved by accident or even on purpose. Google doesnt have a 'revert' function to step back edits I dont think. Even if the maps are not damaged on purpose (as for sure happened with one of mine) its all too easy to click edit and drag and drop a marker by mistake.

For me the best system is to have the data complied with google earth placemarkers and then imported to the map (overwriting the existing data each time). 

If you just want to add or edit a few locations, simply send me the location marker and I will do it. 

I have now got loads of map data covering much of asia.. Cambodia, Laos, Etc etc.. Theres the basic framework for a decent guide or listing project. 

Good idea to use Google Earth for maintaining the placemarks. Too bad GE doesn't provide a way to share, other than sending people the kml file. Rather than using the edit access you granted to Google Maps, I'll send you an export from GE of the placemarks as I gather them.

Thats superb.. 

If your in the bars (and have a camera phone) ask the manager / mammy for a biz card and photo it.. 

Simple way I can add contact info with an attached phone number and low workload to gather and deal with. 

I have spent yesterday going through 100's of upcountry ones.. Actually filling in B2B places around Chiang Mai now.. shocked at how many there are, kind of forgotten. 

Drove round yesterday on my motorbike looking at any bars of intrest using the old map that someone had drawn by hand not to scale. I found quite a few of the bars that i had previously missed. This new google map system look like it could be the very thing to use. Only I will have to work out how to get it to work on my samsung phone without wifi avaliable out there whilst driving my bike ! Still needs a few more well known bars adding. GOOD WORK I hope this gets updated. I may try this map out next week as some of my friends want to go east for alook round some of the bars.

Anyone know which are the most different/intresting and which is the best day of the week to go and time to get the most out of a bar crawl.

Your map data looks a bit out of date, Ann's Garden on Soi Khao Noi closed at least 3 years ago. Nois bar closed around then also. Go Gress missing, open for 2+ years already, approx location 12.922933,100.911445.

I'll have a further look at the map when I get a moment.

Your map data looks a bit out of date, Ann's Garden on Soi Khao Noi closed at least 3 years ago. Nois bar closed around then also. Go Gress missing, open for 2+ years already, approx location 12.922933,100.911445.

I'll have a further look at the map when I get a moment.

Agree the base map data is quite out of date.

A few days ago I took the GPS and camera out for a bike ride up and down Soi Khao Noi and Soi Nernplubwan. Marked and photoed all the current bars on those two Soi's. Sent the resultant Google Earth kmz file to the OP for updating of his map.

For those interested in the Google Earth file here's the link. The link defaults to displaying the kmz file in Google Maps. Unfortunately Google Maps displays the kmz waypoints w/o any names, not very useful as you can't see at a glance bar names. My suggestion is to click on File/Download and open the downloaded kmz file in Google Earth. You will, of course, have to have Google Earth installed on your computer for this to work. Clicking on the waypoints in either Google Maps or Google Earth will bring up the photo of the respective bar.

I have just had family descend on me for a while so that has paused the updating (I was working on some northern towns where the interesting places are spread out and hard to find also). 

The KMZ file you emailed (great thanks) has broken image links when I open it so I need to 

1) rebuild all the image links to the same images but hosted publicly 

2) pull them out of subfolders and alphabetize them as google maps doesnt allow sections / subfolders  (there is the layers option in the new mapping tools but limited to 3 unless you spend big bucks for the commercial map maker pro tools). 

3) re import and refresh.

Realisticaly thats not going to happen until at least mid week next week. 

I have just had family descend on me for a while so that has paused the updating (I was working on some northern towns where the interesting places are spread out and hard to find also). 

The KMZ file you emailed (great thanks) has broken image links when I open it so I need to 

1) rebuild all the image links to the same images but hosted publicly 

2) pull them out of subfolders and alphabetize them as google maps doesnt allow sections / subfolders  (there is the layers option in the new mapping tools but limited to 3 unless you spend big bucks for the commercial map maker pro tools). 

3) re import and refresh.

Realisticaly thats not going to happen until at least mid week next week. 

Not sure why there would be broken image links, but then I still have a fair amount to learn about linking waypoints to images. Thought by logging out of the Google account I would see what others see, but that seems to be not the case. Understand and agree that you'll use a different hosting service to keep everything together, but if anyone has ideas on what is wrong with the Google Earth file and image links, I would appreciate the feedback. Good learning experience for me.

Will get out and photo and mark waypoints for the bars on Soi Khao Talo and SCC around Mabprachan Lake in a few days.

Rather than me delete all the old waypoints.. And simply use the new data gathered, in case there are bars still there that have been missed.. 

Which of the old markers need to be deleted ?? 

I can compile a list of the ones I have on the old data map.. Compared to the new submission, and list whats not there on the new if that helps. 

Rather than me delete all the old waypoints.. And simply use the new data gathered, in case there are bars still there that have been missed.. 

Which of the old markers need to be deleted ?? 

I can compile a list of the ones I have on the old data map.. Compared to the new submission, and list whats not there on the new if that helps. 

For the info I've gathered, if the bar was closed, I added "(Closed)" to bar name in the waypoint. If a bar was shuttered, with no signage at all, the old Flintstones bar as an example, I did not mark it as a waypoint. Importing my kmz file into your Google Earth master, you should be able to easily compare and contrast my info with yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree the base map data is quite out of date.

A few days ago I took the GPS and camera out for a bike ride up and down Soi Khao Noi and Soi Nernplubwan. Marked and photoed all the current bars on those two Soi's. Sent the resultant Google Earth kmz file to the OP for updating of his map.

For those interested in the Google Earth file here's the link. The link defaults to displaying the kmz file in Google Maps. Unfortunately Google Maps displays the kmz waypoints w/o any names, not very useful as you can't see at a glance bar names. My suggestion is to click on File/Download and open the downloaded kmz file in Google Earth. You will, of course, have to have Google Earth installed on your computer for this to work. Clicking on the waypoints in either Google Maps or Google Earth will bring up the photo of the respective bar.

Completed mapping of the last of the darkside bars yesterday. Here's the link to the Google Earth file. If you spot any inaccuracies, please let myself and MongersMaps know.

I also figured out a way to upload the kmz file to Google Maps. Here's the link to that version of the darkside bar locations.

On another board had a request for a file for the GPS. Here's a link to the gpx file which you s/b able to download to your computer and then upload to your GPS.

For those interested, I used this site to convert the kmz file to gpx.

Completed mapping of the last of the darkside bars yesterday. Here's the link to the Google Earth file. If you spot any inaccuracies, please let myself and MongersMaps know.

I also figured out a way to upload the kmz file to Google Maps. Here's the link to that version of the darkside bar locations.

Some bars missing at Khao Talo:

Load Out: Opposite the road from Balloon Bar

Steak by Linda: Right after Nat Bat

M Bar: Abit up the road from Emmy bar

Yaya Darkside Diner: Right after M Bar

Should be all I think.

Some bars missing at Khao Talo:

Load Out: Opposite the road from Balloon Bar

Steak by Linda: Right after Nat Bat

M Bar: Abit up the road from Emmy bar

Yaya Darkside Diner: Right after M Bar

Should be all I think.

Thanks. I'll go out and record them in a few days.

• 2 months later...

Darkness on Soi Khao Noi has become Saxo Bar.
UMIM on Soi Khao Talo Soi 9 has become USABAR.
Opposite Route CC Road House on Soi Siam Country Club is GB bar.
On Soi Lablae (aka Soi Nern Plab Wahn Soi 31), where Cool Retreat Bar is on the left hand side, is also Ying Bar on the right hand side, but somewhat deeper into the soi.
On Soi Banlang (aka Soi Siam Country Club 18 or Soi Phon Prapha Nimit 18), not far from Aqua-Deymie, is Fabrice ( http://www.hotel-fabrice-resort-pattaya.com/index.htm ).
The Offshore Base on Soi Nern Plab Wahn Soi 24 seems to be closed.

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

You can delete Mulligans bar - been closed for ages and being turned into a private events suit (eventually, maybe). 

Ann's Angels Bar on Soi Khao Talo is closed and for sale.

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

Archived