Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

Tough to say -- isn't it 80,000 miles each way for business class (so 160,000 miles total)?

If so, the 50,000 miles at $875 would put you 1/3 of the way there.  It works out to around $2,625 for RT biz class.  Not too bad, but not fantastic.  Sounds like a good way to "top up" your account to get to the 160,000 miles, but maybe not as good a deal if you're starting from 0.

FWIW, I got an email today from ANA (a Star Alliance member) announcing that they are going to start using new 777s on their LAX-Haneda routes (NH105 and NH106) as of October 25.  Looks like a nice layout in business class with lie flat, staggered seating (1-2-1, so all will have aisle access)

It is a good deal for UA in that 50% off is as good as it most likely will get for a discount. However, when considering other programs, it stops looking as nice. For instance, $875 / 50,000 is $0.0175 cents/mile base fee. If 160k miles are needed for a J award, then that's $2,800. On AA, their current promotion is a 35% discount on miles with a max purchase of 100k if you haven't previously purchased miles this year. 100k costs $1,917.50, making them $0.0191 cents a mile. The initial though is UA is a better offer, but consider that AA's J award is 110k for this itinerary. That makes this trip's purchase value roughly $2,109.25 (excluding ticketing & taxes). I would only go with that UA deal if I was locked in that program and that was the only program I had the chance of earning miles. 

On a completely separate note: I just learned yesterday that I'm going to hit 1 million earned/redeemed award miles in AA. I've been an active member for about 3.5 years in terms of really working the game. Not too shabby!  I can't believe that I've earned and spent the miles equivalent of a million dollar spend, while not actually spending a million and not really changing my lifestyle in any drastic way. The game is indeed still alive folks. 

• Like 2

Singapore has always interested me, but I had the impression that the flight routes/duration were inconvenient from LAX.

67.5 for Cathay first is such an incredible deal!  I have enjoyed it multiple times, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came to an end soon to bring them more in line with other alliances -- cost me more than that to fly business on Star Alliance last time (70k miles)

Did you book CX direct with AA or transfer miles to CX?  I didnt see CX available on AA website as an option.

Did you book CX direct with AA or transfer miles to CX?  I didnt see CX available on AA website as an option.

I find Cathay availability on BA website, then call AA to book it

Cannot find it on AA website or book it online as far as I know

On a completely separate note: I just learned yesterday that I'm going to hit 1 million earned/redeemed award miles in AA. I've been an active member for about 3.5 years in terms of really working the game. Not too shabby!  I can't believe that I've earned and spent the miles equivalent of a million dollar spend, while not actually spending a million and not really changing my lifestyle in any drastic way. The game is indeed still alive folks. 

It sure is, I just arrived Pattaya today :) I booked the flight (CX biz) this past Sunday. Also, as I pointed out on the previous page, BA was showing me phantom availability for CX on their site. But using the JAL site for CX availability worked great. Of course, YMMV (no pun intended).

Edited by bgtp
  • Like 1

LE - your post got me curious, so I logged onto my AA account -- I assume it's the "Program-to-date miles" number, right?

I'm at a little over 1.3 million P-T-D miles, with a little over 200k still in my account.  I guess that means I have redeemed about 1.1 million AA miles in the last 25 years (but the bulk were in the last 5 when I started playing the cc game).

Speaking of the credit card game, I just got burned by Citi.  Got a new AA Citi to snag another 30,000 miles, but they said I was ineligible for the bonus because I had opened/closed other accounts within the last 18 months.  Luckily I had only put about $500 on the card when I found out, but, because of that issue, I took the opportunity to close out two other Citi accounts (since I had opened one this month, I figured the clock would start from now anyway).  

So it appears I am on the sidelines for Citi AA miles until February of 2017....ugh....guess I need to look into opening some checking accounts for bonus miles!  555

• Like 1

Congrats LE on being a part of the million mile club.

Ive been racking up Citi Thank You and Ultimate Rewards miles and immediately transferring over to Singapore Kris Flyer program...which is a great program in itself.

• Like 1

Congrats LE on being a part of the million mile club.

Ive been racking up Citi Thank You and Ultimate Rewards miles and immediately transferring over to Singapore Kris Flyer program...which is a great program in itself.

Given the Fish logo, I assume you are in Florida.  What route do you take to get to LOS on Singapore?

I'm really curious about pushing some of my UR points that way, but the routes from LAX are pretty damn inconvenient.

LE - your post got me curious, so I logged onto my AA account -- I assume it's the "Program-to-date miles" number, right?

I'm at a little over 1.3 million P-T-D miles, with a little over 200k still in my account.  I guess that means I have redeemed about 1.1 million AA miles in the last 25 years (but the bulk were in the last 5 when I started playing the cc game).

Speaking of the credit card game, I just got burned by Citi.  Got a new AA Citi to snag another 30,000 miles, but they said I was ineligible for the bonus because I had opened/closed other accounts within the last 18 months.  Luckily I had only put about $500 on the card when I found out, but, because of that issue, I took the opportunity to close out two other Citi accounts (since I had opened one this month, I figured the clock would start from now anyway).  

So it appears I am on the sidelines for Citi AA miles until February of 2017....ugh....guess I need to look into opening some checking accounts for bonus miles!  555

Looks like you beat me! I kind of figured as much given your encyclopedic miles knowledge. Good job nonetheless.  I've been concentrating solely on US Air/AA miles program for the past 3+ years, abandoning my UA and other miles earning outside of Amex points. I think this has been the best overall strategy for my purposes (about 2-3 longhaul flights a year and maybe one domestic, but always up front if I can get them). 

That's some hard news about the Citi card. I'd be challenging the hell out of that by asking them to provide documented proof of that being clearly noted on an application page that shows the bonus miles. That's a hard pull, and you only get a couple before you start losing points off your credit score. 

Amex Canada is no longer giving repeated sign up bonuses for the same card, this changed in July. This will have a huge impact on my cc/points game as I've not only repeatedly got the same cards, I've also referred several of the same people for the same cards over and over again. Arrgghh! It's only one sign up bonus per card per lifetime now It remains to be seen how good their system is at keeping track of one's 'lifetime', but this was not good news for me. 

Edited by Methos

Footy im here in Denver now, so I leave out of SFO to Singapore and then a hop to BKK.

Singapore gives you a 10% discount on awards booked online.

Edited by navidnavid

Amex Canada is no longer giving repeated sign up bonuses for the same card, this changed in July. This will have a huge impact on my cc/points game as I've not only repeatedly got the same cards, I've also referred several of the same people for the same cards over and over again. Arrgghh! It's only one sign up bonus per card per lifetime now It remains to be seen how good their system is at keeping track of one's 'lifetime', but this was not good news for me. 

That is bad news. Wonder if US will follow. Were you getting referral bonuses too? 

On the upshot, there are 21 distinct Amex consumer products and an additional set for small business and corporate cards. With a little strategy, you could milk that for decades. 

Truth be told, I'm starting to wonder why I'm paying the Amex plat annual membership fee. I don't actually spend like a high roller to enjoy some of the benefits like concierge or platinum experiences. Think I might downgrade to the Everyday card. I'm eyeballing the Chase Sapphire preferred too, but I need to wait for some hardpulls to drop off before I go submitting new apps. 

When booking with AA you can only book BA flight on the web site. CX, JL QF and others you just call in and make the booking.

Use a site like 'Award Nexus' to find a flight with award seats and then call and make the reservation. I have called and been told by an agent that the flight had no award seats when it did have them available. Just do your homework before you call.

I have called and been told by an agent that the flight had no award seats when it did have them available. Just do your homework before you call.

I've experienced that too. Not all customer service agents are created equal, so if someone here finds they aren't getting anywhere, just hang up and call back for a different agent.  I've spent nearly an hour on the phone with one agent, but got the same type of booking accomplished in less than 10 minutes with another agent. Some seem to be able to "find" the seats easier than others. Helps to have all flight numbers for all legs, as well as IATA codes (ie: CX123, EWR to HKG).

That is bad news. Wonder if US will follow. Were you getting referral bonuses too? 

On the upshot, there are 21 distinct Amex consumer products and an additional set for small business and corporate cards. With a little strategy, you could milk that for decades. 

Truth be told, I'm starting to wonder why I'm paying the Amex plat annual membership fee. I don't actually spend like a high roller to enjoy some of the benefits like concierge or platinum experiences. Think I might downgrade to the Everyday card. I'm eyeballing the Chase Sapphire preferred too, but I need to wait for some hardpulls to drop off before I go submitting new apps. 

I read that Amex U.S. limited people to one sign-up bonus per card per lifetime years ago - is that not accurate? It was a couple of years ago I read that and I've been expecting Amex Canada to do the same thing for a while. 

Yeah, I've done pretty well with referrals. I got several friends into the miles game so I've referred some of them many times over for the same cards. Now I'm limited to new cardholders. I've found a couple but it's not as easy and my accumulation is going to take a big drop! 

21 different cards aside from the business cards! There aren't anywhere near as many here, assuming you're talking about cards that earn airline points. There is the "airmiles" program in Canada, but that's virtually useless. 

I've had the platinum amex a couple of times in the past. That's one card that I think they are almost going to have to give the sign-up points on - can't imagine anyone paying that fee and not getting the points! It's $699 here but you can get 60k points (from a referral) and a $200 annual travel credit. So if you time it right you can use the annual credit twice since it's based on the calendar year. That's aside from the other perks, which I don't get much out of either. The only time it's really beneficial is when I'm flying on a paid ticket and I can use the lounge access, but that's only once or twice per year for me. 

• Like 1

Just flew Singapore business class from SFO-HKG-SIN-BKK.

WOW... I thought Cathay was good, but IMO Singapore beats them in every department in business class. Singapore's business class is like flying First IMO. Although Singapore's First class is widely known as one of the best in the game, I was thoroughly impressed in their business class cabin, and both the hard and soft product were exceptional.

This is one of my my new favorite miles redemptions, and I can't see myself using the extra miles to redeem a first class product although their First and Suites class look out of this world and I could only imagine it is really special.

I even got one of the flight attendants email, but thats another story. 

I'll take Singapore Airlines over CX or TG ...from my experiences. What about you?

• Like 1

Just flew Singapore business class from SFO-HKG-SIN-BKK.

WOW... I thought Cathay was good, but IMO Singapore beats them in every department in business class. Singapore's business class is like flying First IMO. Although Singapore's First class is widely known as one of the best in the game, I was thoroughly impressed in their business class cabin, and both the hard and soft product were exceptional.

This is one of my my new favorite miles redemptions, and I can't see myself using the extra miles to redeem a first class product although their First and Suites class look out of this world and I could only imagine it is really special.

I even got one of the flight attendants email, but thats another story. 

I'll take Singapore Airlines over CX or TG ...from my experiences. What about you?

How many miles?

How much time did it add to the trip to go HKG-SIN-BKK (as opposed to HKG-BKK, which is only 2 1/2 hours)?

I've got a shitload of Chase UR points, and believe that Singapore is a transfer partner.

EDIT:

Does Singapore permit one way bookings?

I just checked the flights from LAX-BKK and, although it involves 2 stops, there is no change of planes in Narita -- only a "stop and stretch your legs" (although pretty sure you have to de-plane, do an immigration check, and then re-board)

The flight to BKK leaves at 2 p.m., but instead of getting in at like 2 a.m. gets in around 8 a.m. (2 days later).  I could handle that.

The issue is the return flight.  SIN-LAX is no issue -- same deal in Narita (stop, no change), but the layover in SIN is BRUTAL!  Minimum 8 hours. 

If Singapore does one way bookings, I may try them heading into BKK, then take Cathay/EVA/Asiana/JAL/whoever coming back.

Edited by footypjman

Footy I booked one way and after the online booking discount it only costs me 68k miles + I believe ~$300 in fees.

Footy, You will definitely enjoy Singapore's long haul business class.

Going from hkg-sin-bkk kind of a pain, but the Krisflyer lounge in hkg and sin are very nice... I took a shower in both.

Only a two hour layover in hkg and three hours in sin.

Going from hkg-sin-bkk kind of a pain, but the Krisflyer lounge in hkg and sin are very nice... I took a shower in both.

Only a two hour layover in hkg and three hours in sin.

I'm assuming the local flights are domestic business and not the crazy cool hard product, right? Either way, that's one hell of a score. Not necessarily the points and fees, but scoring SQ. I'm just not in the right program, and even when I was, it seemed like catching a unicorn. 

Just got back from a CX F out from BOS-HGK-BKK. I typically fly out of EWR, but thought I'd give this a go.  While the hard product is same same, the service just isn't as polished on this route as opposed to EWR, and definitely nowhere near HGK back. Nothing to complain about, but the little touches like when the more polished crews almost preemptively know what you want before you want it. No offer for turn down, no diner note (not that I really need it), and asking if I want the next diner course instead of announcing it and waiting to see if you turn it down.

On the return, I took JAL J. Got to taste both new versions of the Sky Suite. The ones with the walls are awesome. So private for business class. I changed into PJ at my seat. Screens are huge too for J. Sakura lounge in Haneda is pretty nice too. Immaculately clean facilities. 

I'm assuming the local flights are domestic business and not the crazy cool hard product, right? Either way, that's one hell of a score. Not necessarily the points and fees, but scoring SQ. I'm just not in the right program, and even when I was, it seemed like catching a unicorn. 

Just got back from a CX F out from BOS-HGK-BKK. I typically fly out of EWR, but thought I'd give this a go.  While the hard product is same same, the service just isn't as polished on this route as opposed to EWR, and definitely nowhere near HGK back. Nothing to complain about, but the little touches like when the more polished crews almost preemptively know what you want before you want it. No offer for turn down, no diner note (not that I really need it), and asking if I want the next diner course instead of announcing it and waiting to see if you turn it down.

On the return, I took JAL J. Got to taste both new versions of the Sky Suite. The ones with the walls are awesome. So private for business class. I changed into PJ at my seat. Screens are huge too for J. Sakura lounge in Haneda is pretty nice too. Immaculately clean facilities. 

Looking at the scheduled flight from LAX-NRT-SIN-BKK, the SIN-BKK leg is a 777, but the LAX-NRT and NRT-SIN legs are both on A380s.  

Makes sense since LAX-NRT is an 11:45 flight and NRT-SIN is 7:40.  

Two pretty damn long legs, before you get the short hop (2:30) from SIN-BKK.

As navidnavid notes, the service on Singapore is supposed to be spectacular, so spending that much time in the metal tube may not be so bad.

Awesome score LE. ( w JAL, ive always wanted to try them), Pajamas and suited in biz class??!! wow, thats impressive, sounds like a stellar product. How did u find the food? ( i love japanese food)

Suprisingly the hardproduct on SQ from Hkg to Sin was identical to the long haul ( both on a 777). I've never slept so good in the sky before... the seat converts into a bed complete with all the fittings. but no PJs lol

Although the cabin from Sin-Bkk was the older outdated, imo, regional hard product. ( beleive it was an A320)... again the service was first class, albeit in a J cabin.

SQ's service and professionalism was top notch, it really makes a difference !

I got a little bored flying CX, especially with the poor service I received on my last flights with them. on and off the ground!

Edited by navidnavid
  • Like 1

I also found the SQ facilities on the ground far superior to CX's. IMO the Wing and Bridge are overrated... although those shrimp filled won ton noodles are one of a kind. ;)

I also found the SQ facilities on the ground far superior to CX's. IMO the Wing and Bridge are overrated... although those shrimp filled won ton noodles are one of a kind. ;)

Awesome score LE. ( w JAL, ive always wanted to try them), Pajamas and suited in biz class??!! wow, thats impressive, sounds like a stellar product. How did u find the food? ( i love japanese food)

Suprisingly the hardproduct on SQ from Hkg to Sin was identical to the long haul ( both on a 777). Although the cabin from Sin-Bkk was the older outdated, imo, regional hard product. ( beleive it was an A320)... again the service was first class, albeit in a J cabin.

SQ's service and professionalism was top notch, it really makes a difference !

I got a little bored flying CX, especially with the poor service I received on my last flights with them. on and off the ground!

I, too, was disappointed with the service on my last few Cathay legs, ESPECIALLY with the ground service.

First few times I flew them, I was blown away.  This time, I was met with constantly delayed flights (think all 4 experienced some kind of delay) and the service level just wasn't what I had experienced before.

I mentioned it to my brother who works in the International air travel industry, and he said some of the could have been due to how overwhelmed HKG is with flights right now.  He gave me the impression that it is bursting at the seams.

• Like 2

I am seriously wondering if CX is getting ever so slightly worse or if I'm getting more and more jaded about flying upfront?!?  Just a few years ago United Business First blew my mind. It was all uphill (and I suppose downhill) from there.  

FPJM: We sat on the tarmac in BOS for 30-45 minutes past our scheduled departure, and I don't think it was on the BOS end. You are most likely right about HKG being the bottleneck. I had a good layover in HKG anyway, so I thought...bring on the Krug!

It is always nice trying out new things. I think that's why JAL J was more memorable than CX F this trip. navidnavid: If you like Japanese small dish, bento box styles meals, then you'll love JAL's Japanese menu breakfast, lunch and dinner options. That being said, they oddly don't seem to stock them for every seat. I guess to minimize waste, they have a finite number of Japanese offerings, with the assumption that some of us gringos will be ordering the western meal. I was sadly stuck with the "short rib" (beef fricassee?) on one leg where it looked like every seat had a Japanese salaryman in it. Another oddity is that I couldn't for the life of me get the rather awesome IFE remote to switch out of Korean. You supposedly can order in-between main service drinks and food directly from the remote's touchscreen, pictures and all. I was so beat from my time in Patts that I was more concerned with sleep anyway by that point. 

It is a good deal for UA in that 50% off is as good as it most likely will get for a discount. However, when considering other programs, it stops looking as nice. For instance, $875 / 50,000 is $0.0175 cents/mile base fee. If 160k miles are needed for a J award, then that's $2,800. On AA, their current promotion is a 35% discount on miles with a max purchase of 100k if you haven't previously purchased miles this year. 100k costs $1,917.50, making them $0.0191 cents a mile. The initial though is UA is a better offer, but consider that AA's J award is 110k for this itinerary. That makes this trip's purchase value roughly $2,109.25 (excluding ticketing & taxes). I would only go with that UA deal if I was locked in that program and that was the only program I had the chance of earning miles. 

<snip>

UA has a 150k annual purchase limit I think, so one couldn't actually buy the 160k for a round trip J award.

Here is one data point. I just got an UA email for up to a 75% bonus. Checking their site it would cost $2975 for 150k. I don't think the bonus get much better than 75-80%, however what really counts is the base cost, which I think varies from customer to customer and of course changes depending on when buy.