IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

Just picked up the Bose Q 25 noise canceling headphones. They are very nice; my first Bose product and I am happy. Nice accessory to compliment the Macbook Pro. 

I just saw a review of AA's Biz product on the 777-300 HKG-DFW. I hate to say it, but it looks fucking great. Appears to be the same seating as CX and the food looks remarkably good. If CX wasn't available, I'd throw my miles their way in a heartbeat. LINK: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/10/09/review-american-business-class-777-300er-hong-kong-to-dallas/

I just saw a review of AA's Biz product on the 777-300 HKG-DFW. I hate to say it, but it looks fucking great. Appears to be the same seating as CX and the food looks remarkably good. If CX wasn't available, I'd throw my miles their way in a heartbeat. LINK: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/10/09/review-american-business-class-777-300er-hong-kong-to-dallas/

It does look great. Looks even more updated than CX, most likely because they just now updated to the reverse herringbone. Only question now is if the service is as hit/miss as it is domestically. 

The Chase Explorer card is a pretty good deal.

Points.com was also mentioned, some interesting stuff there  http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php?/topic/269-pointscom/ 

When using FF miles on United, you can do some creative stuff such as making Samui or even Bali as your final destination with Bangko permitted as a stop.

Think United raised the reward amounts but their website is better now as they use the old Continental site.

Ladyboy Review Forum http://www.ladyboyreview.com

Fuck United. I dumped that card when the devalued their miles and eliminated the NRT-BKK run. The  card to get is the Chase Ink 70K points and more airline flexibility.

Fuck United. I dumped that card when the devalued their miles and eliminated the NRT-BKK run. The  card to get is the Chase Ink 70K points and more airline flexibility.

You are dead-on there, my friend!  I just got it....again!  I think it's my 5th or 6th Ink card. 

I'm hoping like Hell it gets here asap, as I need to book a pricey airfare on it that will help me hit the $5k minimum spend faster.  Once I hit it, I'll be up to around 350,000 UR points.  Nice little war chest!

Bad news is that I think the 70k offer closed yesterday.  At most, it's only around for another day or so:  http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/10/09/last-chance-chase-ink-plus-70k-sign-offer/

Edited by footypjman

That's good to know as my next trip will likely be done using Advantage miles on One World. The more good options the better.

Saw a thread on the CX BOS to HKG on Flyer talk. Kick ass! Can't wait to not have to shoot over to JFK before hitting the long haul. Thanks for pointing out nonetheless, bgtp. First flights are May though. Trying to fly out Feb. Found JAL already BOS to NRT to BKK. Route is awesome, but JAL on 787 business is less than ideal. New plane, but angle beds with possible step-over configuration.

I understand exactly where you're coming from regarding the biz seats on the JAL 787. Funny thing is, ten years ago I would have been perfectly happy with such a seat. But once I flew on a flat-bed, I never wanted to go back to 'lie at an angle'. Then once I flew direct aisle access, I don't want anything less than that either. I guess I'm easily spoiled.

I'm very interested in planes and aviation and since this thread is about long-haul travel, here's an interesting article I read this week some here might like http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/extra-long-haul-the-10-furthest-airline-routes-404626/  Too bad there's no non-stops between the USA and SE Asia at the moment.

I understand exactly where you're coming from regarding the biz seats on the JAL 787. Funny thing is, ten years ago I would have been perfectly happy with such a seat. But once I flew on a flat-bed, I never wanted to go back to 'lie at an angle'. Then once I flew direct aisle access, I don't want anything less than that either. I guess I'm easily spoiled.

I'm very interested in planes and aviation and since this thread is about long-haul travel, here's an interesting article I read this week some here might like http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/extra-long-haul-the-10-furthest-airline-routes-404626/ Too bad there's no non-stops between the USA and SE Asia at the moment.

Im right with you. Funny how that works. My first trips to Thailand and Vietnam were coach. I just didn't know any better at the time. Then I had Thai Royal Silk with the 170* beds. It blew my mind. That was until I flew United Business First with true flat beds. I thought it couldn't get any better, but then I flew EVA Royal Laurel with flat beds and direct aisle. I said to myself, this is the pinnacle of travel, at which point I flew Cathay first with their 3' wide seat beds, impeccable service and top notch food. I have ruined long haul travel expectations for myself forever. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been better to have stayed ignorant ;)

Edited to say that the old record holder used to be Singapore Airline's JFK to SIN direct. Something like 19 hours. Not only was it the passenger record holder, it was the longest distance possible per fuel holdings at the time. Singapore ended that one last year, most likely due to demand and rising fuel costs.

Edited by Little Evil

Edited to say that the old record holder used to be Singapore Airline's JFK to SIN direct. Something like 19 hours. Not only was it the passenger record holder, it was the longest distance possible per fuel holdings at the time. Singapore ended that one last year, most likely due to demand and rising fuel costs.

Yeah, those A340-500's flown by Singapore and Thai on their non-stop routes to/from the USA were real gas guzzlers. Fuel prices got to the point that even with high demand and full planes, those flights couldn't be profitable.

• 2 weeks later...

If you need to top up your AA acct for an award, you can get 7500 miles for a 10 min Cadillac test drive.I always fly up front long haul, so for for me miles are worth > 3 cents each. IMO that's $225 for test driving a Caddie. LINK: http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/aad-cadillac-offer.jsp

Went for my test drive this morning. Easy 7500 miles. Thanks for the tip, wackyjacky!

The end is nigh! Just got a promotional email from US Airways stated there is a new buy/gift bonus promotion with up to 50k miles. However, it is no longer a buy 50k, net 100k. It is now a buy 80k, net 130k for a whopping $2,800. Maybe I'm in panic mode, but I'm extremely worried that we'll no longer see the 50/50 ever again. If you buy 50k on this promotion, you'll only get 30k bonus miles. That's more inline with AA's bonus promotions. I'll be crushed if this is the new normal. Kind of like when Grand Slam disappeared. In a way, this is like a devaluation. 

The end is nigh! Just got a promotional email from US Airways stated there is a new buy/gift bonus promotion with up to 50k miles. However, it is no longer a buy 50k, net 100k. It is now a buy 80k, net 130k for a whopping $2,800. Maybe I'm in panic mode, but I'm extremely worried that we'll no longer see the 50/50 ever again. If you buy 50k on this promotion, you'll only get 30k bonus miles. That's more inline with AA's bonus promotions. I'll be crushed if this is the new normal. Kind of like when Grand Slam disappeared. In a way, this is like a devaluation. 

I read that this is the future for us -- as US Air and AA merger finalizes, miles at 1.88 cents appears to be gone.

I'm holding out hope for one last big "transfer" bonus, but don't know how likely it is

I read that this is the future for us -- as US Air and AA merger finalizes, miles at 1.88 cents appears to be gone.

I'm holding out hope for one last big "transfer" bonus, but don't know how likely it is

Man...bad news indeed then. Kind of makes the original topic of this tread irrelevant now, as one can't simply buy into business class for under $2k anymore. On the up shot, maybe this will weed out some of the casual point collectors and free up availability. 

Life's great if you're a Euro. Every week I'm looking at < $2000 Biz fares to BKK. Great Biz fares from the US to Eur too. Fucking nuttin transpac.

Edited by wackyjacky

• 1 month later...

Things are indeed looking a bit dismal for the points game. What was once a relatively easy score is now a gauntlet of devaluations, limited award space, and more expensive top offs. I suppose this will at least separate the novice crowd from the hard core miles pros. Just sucks that the title of this thread is barely relevant anymore. One can't just flat out buy into longhaul business for under $2k anymore. Closer to $3k now, and that's with bonus. I suppose it is a bit wrong to even complain about $3k when people are buying full fare, but I've been spoiled.

• Like 2

On a separate note, interesting offer just came in on my existing Amex plat account. I saw a new offer via the "Benefits" section of the website. They are paying 7,500 MR points for every successful sign up referral, up to 55k a year (strange it isn't an even number of successful applications). Looks like they're starting to get a little desperate from all the close competition from Chase and others. In any case, it is kind of like a free lottery, where you shotgun out warm emails for Amex and might pick up a few MR points in the process. Question now is if I'm willing to whore out my friends and family for some points.

Question now is if I'm willing to whore out my friends and family for some points.

What are friends and family for eh?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thought I would revive this thread with a new offer from Alaska Airlines that could be of interest to some of you.

As detailed in this blog entry, Alaska is offering a 40% bonus on purchased miles, if you buy 40,000 miles:  http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/03/06/great-deal-40-bonus-on-purchase-of-alaska-mileage-plan-miles/

As set out in that post, Alaska partners with Cathay and you can do business to Asia for 50,000 miles each way in business class or 70,000 miles each way in first.  Since this thread is all about the cheapest business class ticket, that's what I am focusing upon (scale it up for first class, which is off-the-charts nice, in my opinion).  Alaska also allows stopovers on one way awards, which makes it especially attractive to me, as I may have business ion Hong Kong in July, but will want to make a side trip down to BKK and Pattaya.

Working through the numbers....

You can buy 40,000 miles in your first transaction for $1,182.50 (which INCLUDES the 7.5% tax), and get a net of 56,000 after the 40% bonus.  In a second transaction, you buy another 34,000 miles for $1,005.13 (all in), netting you 44,200 more miles.

That gets you 100,200 Alaska miles for $2,187.63.  Factor in some booking fees and taxes, and you're probably looking at around $2,300 or less all-in for RT business class from the USA to BKK on Cathay.

While this isn't an option for someone who is looking at the cheapest possible economy class seat, it is a pretty good deal for someone who wants business class comfort and is short of miles.

(please read this in an "infomercial voice")....but wait....there's MORE....

You can combine this offer with an Alaskan Airlines personal or business credit card and get 25,000 miles per card, to reduce what you need to buy.

I just closed my Alaska Air personal card account (got it a year ago when it was a 50,000 mile bonus), but I'm thinking of adding the business card to snag the 25,000 miles.  The bonus is about as low as it gets, but that would put me in a position to get the RT biz class ticket for $1,655.50 (25,000 from card; buy 40,000 + 16,000 bonus; buy 16,000 + 3,200 bonus).

BIG Caveat:

Cathay availability seems to be tighter than ever, so no assurance that you will be able to find flights when you want them, unless you book them well in advance.

Thought I would revive this thread with a new offer from Alaska Airlines that could be of interest to some of you.

As detailed in this blog entry, Alaska is offering a 40% bonus on purchased miles, if you buy 40,000 miles:  http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/03/06/great-deal-40-bonus-on-purchase-of-alaska-mileage-plan-miles/

As set out in that post, Alaska partners with Cathay and you can do business to Asia for 50,000 miles each way in business class or 70,000 miles each way in first.  Since this thread is all about the cheapest business class ticket, that's what I am focusing upon (scale it up for first class, which is off-the-charts nice, in my opinion).  Alaska also allows stopovers on one way awards, which makes it especially attractive to me, as I may have business ion Hong Kong in July, but will want to make a side trip down to BKK and Pattaya.

You can buy 40,000 miles in your first transaction for $1,182.50 (which INCLUDES the 7.5% tax), and get a net of 56,000 after the 40% bonus.  In a second transaction, you buy another 34,000 miles for $1,005.13 (all in), netting you 44,200 more miles.

That gets you 100,200 Alaska miles for $2,187.63.  Factor in some booking fees and taxes, and you're probably looking at around $2,300 or less all-in for RT business class from the USA to BKK on Cathay.

While this isn't an option for someone who is looking at the cheapest possible economy class seat, it is a pretty good deal for someone who wants business class comfort and is short of miles.

You can combine this offer with an Alaskan Airlines personal or business credit card and get 25,000 miles per card, to reduce what you need to buy.

I just closed my Alaska Air personal card account (got it a year ago when it was a 50,000 mile bonus), but I'm thinking of adding the business card to snag the 25,000 miles.  The bonus is about as low as it gets, but that would put me in a position to get the RT biz class ticket for $1,655.50 (25,000 from card; buy 40,000 + 16,000 bonus; buy 16,000 + 3,200 bonus).

BIG Caveat:

Cathay availability seems to be tighter than ever, so no assurance that you will be able to find flights when you want them, unless you book them well in advance.

Wow, that's a helluva deal, thanks for the tip.

Buying miles is more of an option for me than credit card promotions. With my bad credit and maxed out current credit cars, don't think I'd qualify for them anyways.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

BIG Caveat:

I'm in Canada so the offers aren't as great as in the U.S., but there are still some good ones. One thing that's actually better is the Amex referral program - but that's another story.

In the past year I've had 2 Alaska Airlines cc's for which I received 50k Alaskan points. I used them to book a one way for late next Jan in J class for bkk-hkg-yyz on CX. I booked it 330 days out as soon as AS had access to the seats. You can't check availability on AS's site so I used the BA Avios site since I have some points there as well. I watched the available seats slowly drop for my date before finally hitting 330 days out. There are also some issues with AS finding the seats, but you can read about that on flyertalk if you're interested. Booking fee was about $27 as were the taxes - very cheap compared to my primary ff program, which is aeroplan. My total cost including cc fees and after rebates was under $100 for the one way!

That's the least hassle, best value redemption I've ever booked. I'd already locked in a one-way outbound for xmas eve when that opened up - wanted to get available seats asap since it's a tough time of year to get J on points. 

Bad news, Methos -- I'm pretty sure that the miles purchase offer requires a US address.

I am "same same" as you re: booking Cathay -- I scour BA's website for availability as far out as possible and book the best that I can get.  

Things can open up last minute, so I check back if I really don't like my options; however, I took it in the shorts on my last trip by doing that.  Had a shitty departure/arrival time (left LAX mid-day and got into BKK around midnight) and jumped when the late night departure/noon arrival opened up on the same day.  US Air charged me a $150 change fee, but I figured it saved the first day/night of my trip.....didn't count on the EIGHT HOUR flight delay leaving LAX!  The resulting layover was going to be so bad in HKG that I ended up having Cathay put me back on the flight that I had changed off of 2 days before, so I ended up paying a $150 change fee for absolutely nothing!

That said, if I was in the same situation, I would do the exact same thing -- the late arrival sucked as bad as I thought it would, so my first night was an absolute waste.