IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

This is a thing between Chase and each individual airline. 

British Air is One World.

United in Star Alliance

Singapore in Star Alliance

Korean is SkyTeam

Virgin isn't in any

Southwest isn't in any.

EVA reward chart isn't all that much better then United, so I see no difference going from Chase to United then book Eva flights.

OK, I know I'm slow.  But HOW do I book EVA flights through United?  Which BTW I don't even have a membership in any longer.  I used to be a gold card flyer (back in the day) but now they can't even find my name and I've long since lost all records.  I know I could just sign up and start a new membership but assuming I do that and transfer the miles how do I then select EVA and the specific flights I want?

Sorry for being dense.  I used to think I was pretty smart and I seem to get slower every year.   :Think1:

One issue is I also have miles with EVA already.   44K and I'll have another 10K when I arrive in July.  Can I merge them?  I've been just buying tickets with EVA and flying with them so long I've gotten spoiled.  I can change my tickets and I accrue miles.  Maybe I should continue and just use the United miles for a trip to Hawaii or Mexico on United.

Seems intentionally confusing this system.  I envy the brains and time put in by you and footyjam.  You guys are the gurus of travel miles.

Hold the phone.  I'm not as slow as I thought I was.  I figured it out.  It takes time and effort to nail down which airline and flight you want but it can be done.  Any idea how hard it is to reschedule if need be?

Edited by fatjack1

Sitting in the CX lounge at SFO right now typing this.

About to board my flight to HK.

Footy whats up bro. 

OK, I know I'm slow.  But HOW do I book EVA flights through United?  Which BTW I don't even have a membership in any longer.  I used to be a gold card flyer (back in the day) but now they can't even find my name and I've long since lost all records.  I know I could just sign up and start a new membership but assuming I do that and transfer the miles how do I then select EVA and the specific flights I want?

Step 1 - Sign up for United Frequent flyer program.

Step 2 - Earn miles (Chase Ink Plus, Chase Ink Bold, Chase Sapphire, Chase MileagePlus)

Step 3 - Transfer miles from Chase Ultimate Reward to United Frequent flyer account

Step 4 - Search for flight (on United web site)

Step 5 - Book & Paid

Step 6 - Get on flight.

That's pretty much it. As for selecting EVA specific flight, here's how:

Search1.jpg

Search2.jpg

Search3.jpg

Search4.jpg

Search5.jpg

Done.

One issue is I also have miles with EVA already.   44K and I'll have another 10K when I arrive in July.  Can I merge them?  I've been just buying tickets with EVA and flying with them so long I've gotten spoiled.  I can change my tickets and I accrue miles.  Maybe I should continue and just use the United miles for a trip to Hawaii or Mexico on United.

If I am NOT mistaken, you can fly on EVA and have miles accumulated on United. This you'll need to look into. However, once the miles are in EVA FF, you can NOT merge them.

Seems intentionally confusing this system.  I envy the brains and time put in by you and footyjam.  You guys are the gurus of travel miles.

footypjman is Yoda. I am padawan learner. In fact, it as him who turned me onto is on PA years ago (2011?).

Hold the phone.  I'm not as slow as I thought I was.  I figured it out.  It takes time and effort to nail down which airline and flight you want but it can be done.  Any idea how hard it is to reschedule if need be?

:-) As to reschedule... I have not done it. Don't have first hand experience.

Whenever airlines are in the same alliance program (Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, etc), you can substitute whatever partner airline FF program when you book. In other words, when you fly EVA, use your United FF membership number to get credit into your United account--assuming United miles are your ultimate goal. That won't help you out with existing EVA FF program miles, but it will help consolidate miles moving forward. Unfortunately, there aren't any great consolidation methods out there between FF programs. As previously mentioned, Points.com does have a couple options for swapping miles out of programs, but usually at a huge hit that makes it not really worth it. Hold onto them for potential upgrades or regional travel. 

• 2 weeks later...

New US Airways Share Bonus, guys.  Appears they are testing a new format and pricepoint. Not as cheap as the prior Share Bonuses, where it was around $550 for 50k miles (If I recall correctly).  This time, if you do the max share of 50k miles, you get 25k immediately as and the person you send 50k miles will also get an additional 25k. Share fee of $750. So if two account holders share with each other, you both get 50k miles for $750. each.  Just a pinch cheaper than the $.0175/mile the standard 100% bonus purchase, as this clocks in at $.015/mile.

Is it worth it? I don't know. 50k isn't as good as it used to be. Rates increased and US Airways is One World now, limiting options to SE Asia. Definitely questionable if you only plan to fly domestic US and have no future plans to continue playing the miles game. Decent idea for vets with existing accounts who just want to pad things a bit between credit card churns. I could be talked into it if anyone out there is willing. I'm sitting on about 180k right now, so I'm already thinking about re-upping for the next trip.

New US Airways Share Bonus, guys.  Appears they are testing a new format and pricepoint. Not as cheap as the prior Share Bonuses, where it was around $550 for 50k miles (If I recall correctly).  This time, if you do the max share of 50k miles, you get 25k immediately as and the person you send 50k miles will also get an additional 25k. Share fee of $750. So if two account holders share with each other, you both get 50k miles for $750. each.  Just a pinch cheaper than the $.0175/mile the standard 100% bonus purchase, as this clocks in at $.015/mile.

Is it worth it? I don't know. 50k isn't as good as it used to be. Rates increased and US Airways is One World now, limiting options to SE Asia. Definitely questionable if you only plan to fly domestic US and have no future plans to continue playing the miles game. Decent idea for vets with existing accounts who just want to pad things a bit between credit card churns. I could be talked into it if anyone out there is willing. I'm sitting on about 180k right now, so I'm already thinking about re-upping for the next trip.

Thought of you when I read the blog this morning -- I am SOOOOOO kicking myself for not jumping on the last one at 1.1 cents!

Based on blog I read, this one works out to $836.25 for 50,000 miles per person in the transaction.  Factoring in the current price of 120,000 miles for a RT business class ticket using oneworld, that's a little over 40% of the miles needed, which works out to right at $2k for the business class ticket.  Of course, you COULD get a US Air credit card, bank those 40k miles and substantially reduce the "net" cost of the business class ticket.

One downside to US Air is that they do not allow one way bookings (you CAN book one way, but it costs the same miles as RT); however, I am still expecting the merger to lead to the ability to transfer freely between US Air and AA accounts, and AA allows one way bookings.

I have a boatload of US Air miles (like 240,000, and a RT biz class ticket booked for next Feb.), but I think I'm still interested.  Cathay is my favorite carrier, and these miles can be used on them....

Let's see if anyone else is interested and we can do an airline mile transfer daisy chain....not as great as with Thai firls, but it pays off a little better!

I have a boatload of US Air miles (like 240,000, and a RT biz class ticket booked for next Feb.), but I think I'm still interested.  Cathay is my favorite carrier, and these miles can be used on them....

How did you end up getting that many US Airway miles?  I've been thinking of ways to accumulate them, but so far only through the Premier World card.

How did you end up getting that many US Airway miles?  I've been thinking of ways to accumulate them, but so far only through the Premier World card.

Each and every way imaginable!

I started with Grand Slam in 2011 (which sadly is no more) to get the first 125k or so; US Air credit card added another 40k+; mile purchase and transfer bonuses have been a big part of the rest of it.

I just pulled up my account and it is too long to copy and paste, but, from July 1, 2011 through now, I have added roughly 600k miles and subtracted about 350k, but BOTH number are inflated -- the subtractions are the RT ticket for next February (it's first class, not biz, so 160k), two prior transfers for their 100% bonus (50k each) and a 90k mile award that I ended up cancelling and re-depositing.

Each and every way imaginable!

I started with Grand Slam in 2011 (which sadly is no more) to get the first 125k or so; US Air credit card added another 40k+; mile purchase and transfer bonuses have been a big part of the rest of it.

I just pulled up my account and it is too long to copy and paste, but, from July 1, 2011 through now, I have added roughly 600k miles and subtracted about 350k, but BOTH number are inflated -- the subtractions are the RT ticket for next February (it's first class, not biz, so 160k), two prior transfers for their 100% bonus (50k each) and a 90k mile award that I ended up cancelling and re-depositing.

Wow.... I am finding US Airways miles hard to come back.  Much easier with United and AA.  Or am I just not looking at right place?

You have to call US. They don't show partner award availability on their site. Use 'em if you've got 'em. Everything is going to shit with all programs. I'm going to use up my Alaska miles before they devalue, since I've just got enough fot a rt in 1st on CX.

You have to call US. They don't show partner award availability on their site. Use 'em if you've got 'em. Everything is going to shit with all programs. I'm going to use up my Alaska miles before they devalue, since I've just got enough fot a rt in 1st on CX.

I SERIOUSLY f*ckled up with my Alaska miles!  I have a likely trip to Macau in July, went online and found a perfect itinerary -- into Hog Kong non-stop from LAX; then coming back from BKK on the day I wanted and in the class I wanted.  My plan was to use my Alaska miles to cover 1 leg in biz class; AA the other.

As they say, "you snooze, you lose."  By the next a.m, the return flight was no more, and I haven't been able to find shit in biz class using either oneworld OR Star Alliance.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda.....kicking myself over that one....it may end up costing me a VERY short (3 day) side trip into Pattaya....

As for finding oneworld availability, I always use the BA's Avios website.  It seems to do a great job of locating partner availability via oneworld, then I call the airline to book.  NOT always foolproof, as I have had US Air reps tell me the flight was not available to them, even though BA shows multiple seats available.

For Star Alliance, I personally use ANA, but it rarely seems to show EVA flights form BKK-LAX (and vice versa), and I love EVA biz class.

Edited by footypjman

Footy, you know as well as I that with award travel, you've gotta book far out or close in. It's tough to be flexible enough to wait until 3 weeks before departure, but a lot of shiit opens up then.There ain't much in between. Especially now with all the devaluations, folks are motivated to redeem their miles. Yeah BA is good now since they upgraded the site a couple years ago. It used to be a pain in the ass and I used JL in the past. QF is totally unreliable and constantly shows ghost availabilty. I do use their lounge at BKK though. It's much better than CX's believe it or not. ps: forgot to mention that the QF lounge has showers too (CX doesn't).

Edited by wackyjacky

This post went full circle! There are quite a few options for getting miles outside of credit card churn and burn that we discussed on the first page of this post. I put away around 5-8k miles a month through various activities (higher at Xmas), and that is not counting double/triple dipping with credit card spend points and other promotions.

Long story short, you need to rethink all expenditure in a miles addict type of way, where you try to get miles for every dollar/every transaction. A few recaps: Whenever I need something at Home Depot or any store that is listed on US Airways shopping portal, I shop online and choose the "pick up at store" option to get the miles and get the item like I was just regular shopping. I use US Airways restaurant program and net a 200-300+ a meal for two people (once in the elite dining group at 5/dollar). My electricity is through a third party supplier via US Airways. I actually got 10k sign up when I thought I was only getting 5k. I also get some miles for every month's bill, albeit nothing to write home about. Ever buy flowers for something like mother's day? FTD had a 25X miles/dollar bonus this past mother's day. That's a quick 2,500 miles for a mid range bouquet. Have a work credit card? Use it for work on the US Airways shopping portal. I buy office ink monthly and net 1,000/month. It all adds up. Buying a new major appliance? Go to Sears and check them out, then go back home and buy online via the shopping portal. Net the spend points on your credit card and the US Airways miles. Time it for a 3X promotion at Sears.

It is definitely a bit of work and requires some dedication, but keeping a few simple rules to money expenditure and churning/burning once in a a year or two will keep you stocked for at least one trip a year in business or first. Also, if churn/burn isn't something you are interested in, then you can go the path of least resistance of just wait for promotions like this current one and buy miles.

This post went full circle! There are quite a few options for getting miles outside of credit card churn and burn that we discussed on the first page of this post. I put away around 5-8k miles a month through various activities (higher at Xmas), and that is not counting double/triple dipping with credit card spend points and other promotions.

Long story short, you need to rethink all expenditure in a miles addict type of way, where you try to get miles for every dollar/every transaction. A few recaps: Whenever I need something at Home Depot or any store that is listed on US Airways shopping portal, I shop online and choose the "pick up at store" option to get the miles and get the item like I was just regular shopping. I use US Airways restaurant program and net a 200-300+ a meal for two people (once in the elite dining group at 5/dollar). My electricity is through a third party supplier via US Airways. I actually got 10k sign up when I thought I was only getting 5k. I also get some miles for every month's bill, albeit nothing to write home about. Ever buy flowers for something like mother's day? FTD had a 25X miles/dollar bonus this past mother's day. That's a quick 2,500 miles for a mid range bouquet. Have a work credit card? Use it for work on the US Airways shopping portal. I buy office ink monthly and net 1,000/month. It all adds up. Buying a new major appliance? Go to Sears and check them out, then go back home and buy online via the shopping portal. Net the spend points on your credit card and the US Airways miles. Time it for a 3X promotion at Sears.

It is definitely a bit of work and requires some dedication, but keeping a few simple rules to money expenditure and churning/burning once in a a year or two will keep you stocked for at least one trip a year in business or first. Also, if churn/burn isn't something you are interested in, then you can go the path of least resistance of just wait for promotions like this current one and buy miles.

EXCELLENT summary, LE!

My 3 biggest "fails" in the miles game are:

(1) my inability to figure out/take advantage of Bluebird (not a Wal Mart near me, and most plans seem to involve them)

(2) the fact that I buy shit online without thinking to go thru a portal first (when I DO remember, I check all portals to be sure I'm getting the biggest mile bonus for that retailer)

(3) my obsession with having/keeping very high mile levels in my accounts -- given devaluation, most advise against this, but it gives me peace of mind to know that I will have the miles there for travel when I need them

EXCELLENT summary, LE!

My 3 biggest "fails" in the miles game are:

(1) my inability to figure out/take advantage of Bluebird (not a Wal Mart near me, and most plans seem to involve them)

(2) the fact that I buy shit online without thinking to go thru a portal first (when I DO remember, I check all portals to be sure I'm getting the biggest mile bonus for that retailer)

(3) my obsession with having/keeping very high mile levels in my accounts -- given devaluation, most advise against this, but it gives me peace of mind to know that I will have the miles there for travel when I need them

Thanks FPJM. I'm right with you in your #1 point. I've been unusually lazy about not taking advantage of Bluebird with things that I normally cut a check for every month. I think it just makes me a bit nervous because it is more involved then just doing your homework on best practices for credit card use. You need to open a real bank account, and having this miles system work is contingent on a few factors that are beyond immediate control. Who knows the long term availability of reloads or any restrictions that might be put on them in the future.  I'd be a little upset if I were to buy into the system and then have the system issue policy changes that strand my money somewhere. That being said, I am definitely being overly cautious about right now. It seems to work just fine for many people. I'd probably add about 25-30k miles a year with this program. Potentially even more if I were to double dip by paying off credit cards with it too (not sure if possible).  

As for your #2 point--I've trained myself so well that it is a knee-jerk response to immediately go to the shopping portal. I actually had it as my home page at work at one point. I'd have some interesting, borderline Pavlovian responses to either the idea of needing to make a big purchase or seeing a large multiplier promotion. To this day, I only buy shoes/sneakers when Shoes.com goes 10x. The downside is that I'm fairly certain I've made purchases solely based on the large multiplier. Basically invented a reason to buy something.

This is so true. In fact, I would go as far as to say it only takes a very little amount of work. I know you guys scoring multiple trips a year might have to work harder and you seem to know all the tricks. But for a once a year visitor to LOS like myself, it's a simple churn of three credit cards a year to get me to and from Thailand in business class or better. 

I just flew over EVA Royal Laurel and back on Thai/United first. My friends ask me how much did that cost and I tell them all I had to do was sign up for three credit cards. I say they can do it too, but they look at me like I'm crazy. I think they're crazy not to do it. This may all go away someday (or I may have to churn five cards per year instead of three) and I certainly don't feel 'entitled' to a free business class ticket to the other side of the world just because I signed up for some credit cards. But as long as they keep offering me this opportunity, I'll sure take it.

This is so true. In fact, I would go as far as to say it only takes a very little amount of work. I know you guys scoring multiple trips a year might have to work harder and you seem to know all the tricks. But for a once a year visitor to LOS like myself, it's a simple churn of three credit cards a year to get me to and from Thailand in business class or better. 

I just flew over EVA Royal Laurel and back on Thai/United first. My friends ask me how much did that cost and I tell them all I had to do was sign up for three credit cards. I say they can do it too, but they look at me like I'm crazy. I think they're crazy not to do it. This may all go away someday (or I may have to churn five cards per year instead of three) and I certainly don't feel 'entitled' to a free business class ticket to the other side of the world just because I signed up for some credit cards. But as long as they keep offering me this opportunity, I'll sure take it.

Good attitude and smart work.  If they offer it why not take it?   :LOL2:

Unfortunately, bonuses are drying up and redemption levels are rising. Same with hotel programs. Everybody is devaluing because biz is good. This shit won't change, unless we get another recession. Luckily I made a lot of hay when the sun was shining.

Here's a deal I'd go for if I didn't still have 3 or 400,000 left -  Cathay from the US to most of SEA is going for around $3800 in Biz right now, (which is about 50% off) and they're offering double miles. A trip to BKK will get you about 75K miles which I think is enough for a one way in Biz on the same route. You'll need to sign up for Asia Miles though. LINK: http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/airlines/promotion?refID=4615e1940bbb5410VgnVCM1000000ad21c39RCRD

Here's a deal I'd go for if I didn't still have 3 or 400,000 left -  Cathay from the US to most of SEA is going for around $3800 in Biz right now, (which is about 50% off) and they're offering double miles. A trip to BKK will get you about 75K miles which I think is enough for a one way in Biz on the same route. You'll need to sign up for Asia Miles though. LINK: http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/airlines/promotion?refID=4615e1940bbb5410VgnVCM1000000ad21c39RCRD

I gotta be missing something here -- I think the distance from LAX to BKK is a shade over 8,000 miles, so that's 16,000 RT.  If we round it up to 17,500, at double miles, that's still only 35,000 miles, isn't it?

Good point. Let me check this out. I stole this from Flyertalk post and since nobody beat him down, I assumed he had it right.........................  CX is adding the double bonus to the normal accrual on their charts. It's showing 54K for LAX-HKG in Biz. If you add in the HKG-BKK segment, he might not be far off actually.

Edited by wackyjacky

Is that a RT itinerary for $3,800? Not bad at all considering what they normally fetch. However, I bet it would be more expense for us east coasters.  

Good point. Let me check this out. I stole this from Flyertalk post and since nobody beat him down, I assumed he had it right.........................  CX is adding the double bonus to the normal accrual on their charts. It's showing 54K for LAX-HKG in Biz. If you add in the HKG-BKK segment, he might not be far off actually.

I'm sure I'm off here -- maybe it's double their system, which already awards double...so maybe 4x the actual miles flown?

After you use your miles, do you close down your credit card account?

After you use your miles, do you close down your credit card account?

Churning and burning cards is a balance of timing a few things that include credit factors, new promotions, and surveying your existing accounts. Most people typically like to cycle every year or two. In fact, it is kind of important to hit somewhat of a cycle to minimize credit score impact. Applying for a new card involves a hard pull credit inquiry, which will slightly lower your credit score for a period. Closing old accounts with good credit history will also lower your score, where the older the account is the worse the impact. A year or two churn and burn cycle ensures that you aren't using those accounts to establish your credit history, but are spaced out enough to minimize the hard pull impacts which may fall off your credit report by the time you are ready to re-up.  It is worth noting that people who churn and burn should always keep one card for the long term to establish a long credit history, if they don't already have one. The rest is just timing for good promotions and deciding if you want to add another card to your quiver. Amex 75k and AA 100k promotions were examples of when straight up adding a new account instead of churning/burning made a bit of sense. It is all relative though to each person's financing and if any of these cards come with annual fees that have to be factored against the miles value. It can get very complicated, but in a fun way for miles nerds. 

I guess the short answer is that when you actually draw upon your miles has little impact on when you should close the account.