IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

I would keep them in Chase until you see a better way to move them.  

I'm sitting at a little over 365,000 UR points right now, and would love to find good ways to use them.  My focus remains United (which I haven't used since the devaluation) or Korean (I have about 50,000 in a Korean Air account, as well as about 2500 in an orphaned account I can't figure out how to move over! 555)

BA is so expensive for long haul flights (both mile-wise and fuel taxes), but they're a good way to get domestic flights (though not as good after devaluation).

I have over 62k BA miles after getting the Chase BA card.  Figured I would use them for AA flights to see my family in Texas, but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

One option similar to what I have done is to keep an eye out for a good Korean credit card offer from US Bank -- maybe pair those bonus miles with your UR to get a good flight option (they permit one way awards)?

Korean Air card standard bonus offer sucks, but here's a blog about a recent targeted offer for 40,000 miles -- maybe see if you're on their list?  http://milecards.com/1588426693/40000-mile-korean-skypass-visa-offer-are-you-targeted-for-the-deal/

If you can find a way to move those UR to AA at a reasonable rate, let me know!

EDIT:

My bad - looks like Korean offer is 30,000 miles -- 15k after first purchase, then another 15k after $2,000 in purchases (so 32,000 miles).

http://milecards.com/1031/top-bonus-mile-offers-with-credit-cards/

I keep reading their rates are better, but it's always been 95,000 miles for first and 75,000 for biz class when I have checked.  The UR points + that 32,000 would put you right around a one way first class flight.

FWIW, I was able to get BOTH the personal and biz cards and got mile bonuses on both....but that's how I ended up with TWO damn Korean accounts!

• Like 1

If you haven't already gotten it (I have, so banned from this offer), the AMEX Starwood Preferred card just bumped its sign up bonus to 35,000 SWP points after $3,000 minimum spend ($5,000 on biz version).

Since SWP transfer at 20,000 SWP to 25,000 AA, that's basically 50,000 AA once you hit the minimum spend.

(see the milecards.com link in my Edit above)

• Like 1

If you haven't already gotten it (I have, so banned from this offer), the AMEX Starwood Preferred card just bumped its sign up bonus to 35,000 SWP points after $3,000 minimum spend ($5,000 on biz version).

Since SWP transfer at 20,000 SWP to 25,000 AA, that's basically 50,000 AA once you hit the minimum spend.

(see the milecards.com link in my Edit above)

My first thought was to try to figure out a way to move my UR points into AA, but at best, I could UR to Hyatt at 1:1, then Hyatt to AA at 5k to 2k. That means 60k UR points would only be 24k AA miles. 

I had about 70k Avios that I used for regional travel last year. That's how I still have that stranded 12k. I suppose I could keep some Avios around for that purpose.  Actually came in handy last year when I didn't feel like spending an overnight layover and manage to book a short regional in first via BA.

This SPG Amex is very temping. 50k AA miles is right up my alley. I'm kind of wishing this popped up before I pulled the trigger on the Sapphire Preferred, as I don't like to pull more than two hard hits on my credit report in any one year.  In any case, I think diversification might be the way to go, and I think you're on to something about sitting on the UR points for now until something lucrative pops up. 

One thing I love about UR is that they appear almost automatically -- before I got the Chase BA card and stocked that account, I used Avios for one way shot hop from Manila or Macau (can't remember which) to Bangkok on a trip.  I needed to move a few thousand points to get there and they were in almost immediately, allowing me to complete the booking.

That raises another point - short hops in Asia are also a good use of Avios.

I'm with you - I like to space new card applications and minimum spends out.  Just knocked out a spend req't on my Barclay's AA card (formerly the US Air card) - they sent me an offer to charge $500/month in Dec., Jan. and Feb. for 15,000 bonus miles.  Now I'm working on that Citi Hilton I referenced a few posts back.

If you reconsider on the SPG AMEX, shoot me a PM -- apparently, they have a deal now where a referral gets you 5,000 points and friend still gets the same 35,000 point offer.  

Same for anyone else.....

Woah woah Footy, I see you didn't mention Singapore Airlines...365,000 SG Kris flyer miles ( transfer partner with UR)  will go a long way (literally)....in style and class...  that's enough for 2 RT first tickets from HKG-SFO...and another one way first ticket ...HKG-SFO.....with still ~10,000 miles left over...........hell, that's enough miles for 3 RT tickets in biz class...and SG arguably has the best (or one of, of course it's subjective)  all around Biz class going to Asia...

you also get 10% discount of miles needed when you book online too.. 

Edited by navidnavid

excellent point, navidnavid!

I'm not very familiar with Singapore, so I often miss them as an option/alternative

Yea man, sign up and make a Kris flyer account, then you can play with their award booking search engine...

Sorry if this was already covered but I got 119,000 American miles and I want to get something booked before the devaluation. What airline should I go with leaving from Detroit and how do I book them? My dates are open from September on till next year. I Never used miles before and don't know what I'm doing.

H

Sorry if this was already covered but I got 119,000 American miles and I want to get something booked before the devaluation. What airline should I go with leaving from Detroit and how do I book them? My dates are open from September on till next year. I Never used miles before and don't know what I'm doing.

Honestly, I have no idea.  I tried searching BA's system for flights going out as far as next Feb., but it ended up giving me an error message that said BA and its partners do not fly that route.

It costs $200 (but ONLY if they find you an acceptable itinerary), but you may be best contacting Points Pros and seeing if they can find a way from Detroit to Bangkok and back in business class using the AA miles.  I have had success using them in the past, as have friends.

Link:  http://pointspros.com/home-page/

Yeah, I tried that and got the same error message. I thought I was doing it wrong that why I asked the question. Thanks for the tip with point pros. I might have to go that route with it being so close to the devaluation date.

H

Honestly, I have no idea.  I tried searching BA's system for flights going out as far as next Feb., but it ended up giving me an error message that said BA and its partners do not fly that route.

It costs $200 (but ONLY if they find you an acceptable itinerary), but you may be best contacting Points Pros and seeing if they can find a way from Detroit to Bangkok and back in business class using the AA miles.  I have had success using them in the past, as have friends.

Link:  http://pointspros.com/home-page/

Problem is, DTW is a big Delta hub. As such, they cornered the direct to Asia market from that airport. I believe they service PEK, ICN, HND, and NRT as the only options for direct flights. Delta is Skyteam, so you're kind of out of luck going on a 2 leg trip to BKK using AA miles. Your only option might be looking for flights from ORD or IAD. Buy the shorthaul cash and use miles on the J award.

Edited to say: how long are you looking to go for? If you give me some rough ideas, I'll run it through KVS to see what pops up.

Edited again to say that I've found J and WS availability on Sept 16th outbound from ORD on flights CX807 to CX617 or CX709.

Edited by Little Evil

I want to go 3 or 4 weeks. I figured out how to use the British airways site to find Cathy awards. There is a lot of availability in January or February next year on business-class from Chicago to Hong Kong. So I would have to pay for a flight from Detroit Chicago?I thought you got that leg included in the deal. And what about Hong Kong to Bangkok?

Problem is, DTW is a big Delta hub. As such, they cornered the direct to Asia market from that airport. I believe they service PEK, ICN, HND, and NRT as the only options for direct flights. Delta is Skyteam, so you're kind of out of luck going on a 2 leg trip to BKK using AA miles. Your only option might be looking for flights from ORD or IAD. Buy the shorthaul cash and use miles on the J award.

Edited to say: how long are you looking to go for? If you give me some rough ideas, I'll run it through KVS to see what pops up.

Edited again to say that I've found J and WS availability on Sept 16th outbound from ORD on flights CX807 to CX617 or CX709.

I want to go 3 or 4 weeks. I figured out how to use the British airways site to find Cathy awards. There is a lot of availability in January or February next year on business-class from Chicago to Hong Kong. So I would have to pay for a flight from Detroit Chicago?I thought you got that leg included in the deal. And what about Hong Kong to Bangkok?

Depends on your search parameters, but generally, your origination airport is just that, your origin. That means if you searched ORD to HKG, then you'd have to make your way to ORD before the award flight starts.  As mentioned, there aren't many 2 leg flights out of DTW to BKK, and most of them appear to be Skyteam.

Sometimes it is useful to look up individual legs when piecing a complex or multi-carrier award together, but it sounds like you'd benefit from searching a more complete itinerary (ORD to BKK).  They'll factor in all necessary layover stops such as HKG. You'd still have to make your say to ORD, but I can't imagine that would be more than an 1.25 hrs in the air from DTW.

If you look at the two CX examples I gave earlier, you'll see that they have two fight numbers.  One for ORD to HKG, the second from HKG to BKK.  55k american miles each way before the devaluation. 

LE - 

You're the expert on this more so than me, but I thought that if you tried to factor the AA flight from DTW to ORD into the award, you're looking at going on a whole different chart (the AA chart, as opposed to the oneworld chart)

LE - 

You're the expert on this more so than me, but I thought that if you tried to factor the AA flight from DTW to ORD into the award, you're looking at going on a whole different chart (the AA chart, as opposed to the oneworld chart)

I might have written something wrong earlier.  I think I was originally trying to say to buy the short jump from DTW to ORD using cash (it should be cheap enough), then use award from ORD to BKK and back. I suppose you could book separately on award if you have enough miles left over or if you can manage to find another One World partner for the short jump. You're probably right about AA trying to switch charts if you try to cram everything into one award.

I might have written something wrong earlier.  I think I was originally trying to say to buy the short jump from DTW to ORD using cash (it should be cheap enough), then use award from ORD to BKK and back. I suppose you could book separately on award if you have enough miles left over or if you can manage to find another One World partner for the short jump. You're probably right about AA trying to switch charts if you try to cram everything into one award.

You wrote it correctly, and I understood your point (buy the short hop with cash).

My post was poorly written, but I think you picked up my point/question -- I think if you try to cram the DTW-ORD leg onto the award, AA will then treat it as an AA booking using codeshare and stick you up for a LOT more miles.

One other thing to think about - weather at ORD can be fucking BRUTAL in January/February (and, I assume, at DTW, too).  It'd cost more, but a trip to LA or SF (with an overnight on each end or at least plenty of time to kill to make the connection some time to kill) may get you "safer" weather.

Does it matter if it's the AA or OW award chart? They're both 55K in J for example. In any case, here's what I did on my trip this past fall.

First, I found CX flights in J EWR-HKG-BKK on the JAL website (I could have used the BA website, but around that time they were showing different results than JAL for some reason, and BA's were the 'phantoms'). Then I went to AA's website and looked for first class awards from my originating city to EWR that were available at the Saver level. Finding the AA positioning flights in Saver is the key to keeping the entire award in Saver. Once I found what I needed, I noted all the flight numbers and called AA. I spoon-fed the agent the flight numbers I had and everything was available, 55K each way in J. I had to overnight in ERW on the way home. So, I stayed at the airport Hilton on points.

Good luck!

Edited by bgtp

Does it matter if it's the AA or OW award chart? They're both 55K in J for example. In any case, here's what I did on my trip this past fall.

First, I found CX flights in J EWR-HKG-BKK on the JAL website (I could have used the BA website, but around that time they were showing different results than JAL for some reason, and BA's were the 'phantoms'). Then I went to AA's website and looked for first class awards from my originating city to EWR that were available at the Saver level. Finding the AA positioning flights in Saver is the key to keeping the entire award in Saver. Once I found what I needed, I noted all the flight numbers and called AA. I spoon-fed the agent the flight numbers I had and everything was available, 55K each way in J. I had to overnight in ERW on the way home. So, I stayed at the airport Hilton on points.

Good luck!

I thought the difference was that the oneworld chart had no Saver/Standard distinction

I thought the difference was that the oneworld chart had no Saver/Standard distinction

Yes, I guess you're correct there. I just assumed everyone else did what I do and made sure to book Saver positioning flights to keep things equal. Sometimes, I've had to take a slightly less convenient connection, but I've found you can usually find something that works. Key is to find those flights on AA's site.

I know this is off topic, but I consider this kind of an "airline miles/award travel" thread, so here's my latest "adventure"....

Just booked for next February in first class on Cathay....my "last hurrah" under the 67,500 mile chart.  I called AA at 1 minute after midnight 331 days out....rep said "it's still not open yet -- check back in a few hours."  I waited about 25 minutes (25 NERVOUS minutes) and called back -- it was open, and I got it (although I'm never comfortable until I receive the email form AA, and that takes FOREVER).  

After I hung up, I checked again on BA and ALL first availability on my day (as well as the next day, which isn't even open to AA yet) were gone.  Not a surprise really -- effectively there are a handful of flights, with only 1 seat available.  My LAX-HKG leg connected to like 4 different options to BKK, but, once I snagged the only seat on the first leg, all of the connections evaporated.

Technically, I'm leaving a day earlier than I had hoped, but I'm not complaining -- I got Cathay first at the current level AND will have an extra night in Pattaya!  A 3 hour layover on my way in should give me time to shower, but an 11:15 a.m. arrival in BKK means I'll have plenty of time to get cleaned up when I get to my hotel.  I also can check in a couple of days and see if the other flight does open up, but now I kinda like the one I got.  555

I have about 65,000 in mile bonuses coming (thank God!), but was down to 123,000 miles in my account.  I figured first on the way over was better than first on the way back.  Plus, my return date won't open until after the devaluation, so I was concerned I might not be able to find a first seat once the date opens up.  Instead, I went found a BKK-LAX flight with business availability (think it's in January sometime?) and booked it as a "placeholder" -- once my return date opens up, I'll change the return flight to the date I want.  That will get me the flights I wanted for the current rate of 122,500 miles (but it's really only 112,500, because I get 10,000 miles "refunded" because of my Citi AA card and my Barclay's AA Aviator card.  I'm not sure if the refund kicks in now or in 2017 after I fly -- terms and conditions on card imply I'll get it back in 6-8 weeks.)

Gotta be honest with you....this may make my life sound a little pathetic, but getting that ONE seat was a bit of a thrill for me -- like I "won" a prize or something!  555

Now on to my next project -- figuring out what credit card I need to get asap, so paying my income taxes on it will get the maximum benefit!  555

I'm currently wrapping up a minimum spend on a Hilton card, but it's a low minimum spend that I shouldn't have any issue hitting.  I'm blocked on Citi cards for another 10 months or so, have an AMEX SWP and have more Chase cards than I can shake a stick at (actually have so many that I have to close them now in order to open new accounts).

Any suggestions?  The AMEX bonuses all seem to suck (I'm not getting the 100,000 Platinum card offer - if I did, I would jump on it).  Delta miles are reportedly too hard to use, but that might be an option.  Think I'm gonna go do a little reading before I turn in....

EDIT:

After doing a little research, I am thinking the Citi Thank You Prestige card may be my next addition -- $3,000 minimum spend nets me 50,000 points transferable to a small list of airline programs (including Etihad, Qatar, EVA, Kris Flyer and Thai).  You also can use them at 1.6 cents each for AA tickets (so that's $800 in credit).  Doesn't sound like a great use of points, but on some flights, I prefer economy plus and you can't book that using AA miles (which I no longer freakin' HAVE anyway! 555) 

MASSIVE annual fee -- $450 -- but you get lounge access at some airports, $250 in flight credit (including airfare purchases, baggage charges, etc.), and a 4th night free on hotel stays -- as I understand it, that applies to everything; even suites (but I ain't paying for a suite for 3 nights! 555).  I could see that being a nice perk for trips to Pattaya.

I'm thinking this would be a way to start building that KrisFlyer account that bgtp was discussing above (and that could also link to my Chase UR warchest).

Another option is the Chase Marriott Rewards card, which currently has an 80,000 point bonus and free annual night.  I had that card 3 or 4 years ago and recently had the Chase Ritz Carlton card, which I used for Marriott stays, so I doubt that I am eligible for the bonus.  May call Chase and ask....

I only get offered 40,000 miles for the AMEX Platinum, but it's also a $450 annual fee, has fewer perks, and Membership Miles don't transfer nearly as well as they used to.

No "big" Delta offers out there either.

Sadly, I think I may be taking a break from the credit card miles game in the near future....and not by choice! 555

Sadly, I think I may be taking a break from the credit card miles game in the near future....and not by choice! 555

Is it because you got them all?  lol.  

Sounds like you know of all the best deals already, which means you already have some of the best cards and the next options are on your radar already.  SPG Gold deal out right now (35k) would have been a shoe-in, but it sounds like you've cashed that brand in already on a previous score. 

Amex plat bonus is kind of miserable compared to competition and some of its own prior bonuses. The the up shot, I've always manage to monetize the $200. airline credit (this last time via United Shopping App to Amazon gift card), making the $450 easier to swallow.  However, the competition has all either caught up or surpassed Amex Plat in customer service and perks, so aside from pulling out the silver card in front of people, there isn't a whole lot of prestige anymore.  Even that's kind of a waning factor, as the brand has taken a hit in recent years (as well as their stock). In 5 years time when we're all paying with phones, Amex will have completely lost their long established branding as an upper echelon card. I'd only get one if you have a specific transfer partner in mind. I keep mine for Asia Miles and said $250 annual fee. 

If there is any advice I can give, it is to NOT get the IHG 80k signup card. The 80k number looks huge, but the per-point value is pretty poor and the hotel selection is mid to low tier in most places.  Also, all three of the Barclay "Metal" cards suck. High annual fees with little in return outside of an annual unwanted gift like a cross pen or raybans. 

Right now my three keepers are Aviator Silver (AA program with perks), Chase Sapphire Preferred (3x restaurants, 2x travel), and Amex for Asia Miles transfer.  I actually have more cards, but I find it difficult to keep more than three primary cards active at the same time, particularly because I have an extra Amex for work that covers a lot of expenses as well.  

Is it because you got them all?  lol.  

If there is any advice I can give, it is to NOT get the IHG 80k signup card. The 80k number looks huge, but the per-point value is pretty poor and the hotel selection is mid to low tier in most places.  Also, all three of the Barclay "Metal" cards suck. High annual fees with little in return outside of an annual unwanted gift like a cross pen or raybans. 

Right now my three keepers are Aviator Silver (AA program with perks), Chase Sapphire Preferred (3x restaurants, 2x travel), and Amex for Asia Miles transfer.  I actually have more cards, but I find it difficult to keep more than three primary cards active at the same time, particularly because I have an extra Amex for work that covers a lot of expenses as well.  

Sadly, yes -- I have burned through all of the really strong ones.  Read three "Best current card" threads on blogs last night, and have had all of them (except the Citi TY Prestige).  The crackdown on churning is catching up to me! 555  

I actually LIKE the Chase IHG card -- the bonus wasn't all that great, but I think that getting Platinum status and the annual free room certificate more than offsets the $49 annual fee.  With the conversion of the Pattaya Sheraton to an Intercontinental, I'll probably cash it out there (hopefully AFTER the renovations calm down).

Ditto on the Citi HHonors Reserve card -- it gets me HHonors Gold, which brings with it free breakfast, free wifi and some other perks.  I haven't done the math -- and it probably would not work out in my favor -- but I've convinced myself it, too, is worth the annual fee.  I haven't spent enough on it ($10,000) to get the free weekend night certificate, but I may turn to that shortly.

I am waffling on the Chase Hyatt card -- comes with an annual free room certificate (which I STUPIDLY forgot to use when I had a one night stay in a Hyatt recently) that should offset the fee....well....assuming I don't forget to use it!  555

I'm leaning heavily to Citi TY Prestige over AMEX Platinum for 3 reasons: it's 50,000 points instead of 40,000 points (and I'm holding out hope that I will get the damn 100,000 point offer from AMEX Platinum one of these days!); the airline reimbursement includes purchased tickets; and the 4th night free on hotel booking through their concierge service intrigues me.

BTW, one weird perk of the TY Prestige I don't know if I would use -- 3 free rounds of golf each year.  LONG list of courses, including some out of the country (none in Thailand, though).  If I ever decided to pick up my sticks again (haven't swung a golf club in YEARS), that would be something I would try to take advantage of.  It included a few courses that I recognized here in LA and a shitload in Las Vegas.

Curious to hear more about your experience with Asia Miles.  It's also one of the transfer options with the Citi TY Prestige.  

Just booked my Business class flight on Cathy and it was surprizingly easy. I had all the flight numbers and stuff ready but I didn't need them. The guy found my flights right away for the day I wanted. Detroit to Chicago then to Hong Kong and Bangkok. I'm leaving on the 23rd of January and want to stay for around a month. That's were I have a problem he couldn't look past the 10 th of February for my return flight so what can I do? Can I book and change later? Thanks for everyone's help. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known to get American airline cards and do this. Can't wait for my first trip to Thailand!!

You have to get the timing right which I did, but you can overlap the free IHG room stays so that you get two free rooms at a time. (once every two years).   Increase the stay by using the unearned points.

Never use the card for anything else.

Just booked my Business class flight on Cathy and it was surprizingly easy. I had all the flight numbers and stuff ready but I didn't need them. The guy found my flights right away for the day I wanted. Detroit to Chicago then to Hong Kong and Bangkok. I'm leaving on the 23rd of January and want to stay for around a month. That's were I have a problem he couldn't look past the 10 th of February for my return flight so what can I do? Can I book and change later? Thanks for everyone's help. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known to get American airline cards and do this. Can't wait for my first trip to Thailand!!

You only have a few days left (do it by March 21) - book your return on a day that you can find availability, then change it to the return date you need after it opens up (which is what I ahve done).  My understanding is the same route does not incur change fees.

Business class is much more available than first, so you should be in luck. 

I'm waiting until my return date opens, then jumping on it right away to lock it in.