Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

A bit of an unrelated note, I know their mile requirements are not that great (75,000 each way for business class; 95,000 each way for first class - LAX-Asia), but Korean Air has ABSURDLY good availability!  They're a Chase UR partner and those rates are actually better than Star Alliance using United miles (80,000 in business; an absurd 130,00 each way for business).

I may have to make a trip to Manila in April and was snooping around to see what I could find in the way of award tickets, and Korean had availability every day I checked.

Think I'll probably end up doing Philippine Air (nonstop) or EVA (1 stop, but has premium economy at around $1500 RT), since it's on someone else's dime, but always like to see what's out there awards-wise.

A bit of an unrelated note, I know their mile requirements are not that great (75,000 each way for business class; 95,000 each way for first class - LAX-Asia), but Korean Air has ABSURDLY good availability!  They're a Chase UR partner and those rates are actually better than Star Alliance using United miles (80,000 in business; an absurd 130,00 each way for business).

Sure, I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. For all the whining people do about Delta Skymiles (aka SkyPesos), I've never had much trouble using them for flights on KAL in J. Used to be 60K and now they're 70K. But there used to be a lot of black-out dates and now there isn't. My next trip in July is a Delta award on KAL. Their 'Prestige Sleeper' seats are just OK imo (fully flat, but not direct aisle access for everyone). Their new 'Prestige Suites' look real nice, but I won't be getting those on my flights. For credit card churners AMEX only gives you the sign-up bonus once for each card type. But you can get different card types, e.g. a personal and a business, for multiple bonuses. As footy says, United is already 80K each way in J and American will be 70K in another month, too.

Sure, I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. For all the whining people do about Delta Skymiles (aka SkyPesos), I've never had much trouble using them for flights on KAL in J. Used to be 60K and now they're 70K. But there used to be a lot of black-out dates and now there isn't. My next trip in July is a Delta award on KAL. Their 'Prestige Sleeper' seats are just OK imo (fully flat, but not direct aisle access for everyone). Their new 'Prestige Suites' look real nice, but I won't be getting those on my flights. For credit card churners AMEX only gives you the sign-up bonus once for each card type. But you can get different card types, e.g. a personal and a business, for multiple bonuses. As footy says, United is already 80K each way in J and American will be 70K in another month, too.

The fact that not every seat in their Prestige class has aisle access bugs me.  I guess I could get a seat in the center section (so the person next to me wouldn't need to crawl over me), but ti generally makes me debate whether it's worth the extra 20,000 miles (each way) to go in first.  

I've only cashed in once on KAL, and I did that trip (a one way return from BKK, with a stop in Seoul for business) in first.  Excellent experience, which I would be happy to repeat!

Delta is only 70k for biz class on KAL using SkyMiles?  What is it for first?  

Having been swayed by all of the SkyPeso bashing by bloggers, I have virtually ignored my Delta account, so I would be eligible to snag some bonus miles with a Delta AMEX....

Those new KAL Prestige Suites look to be the same hard product as JAL's updated Sky Suite, which I got to sample last Aug. Overall, one of the most private experiences in any class other than F class suites on Emirates and Etihad. The downside is that they are so partitioned off that it can get a bit claustrophobic. I actually changed into my PJ's right at my seat with no fear of causing a public indecency issue. Seat is a bit narrow though, so if you're very broad shouldered, you could potentially be touching the partition wall the entire flight. Also found that the window seats have ZERO storage. Hopefully KAL figured out some pockets for phones, etc. 

Just got back from LOS. Broke my prior record for sleep on a plane. 10 sequential hours in CX F (mattress pad makes all the difference). Almost a shame really, considering that I didn't partake in snack service or drink half a bottle of Blue Label during the trip--two things I look forward to in CX F.  Got to experience three of the four classes of CX this trip. Longhaul J out, Y for HKG to BKK, regional J for BKK to HKG, and F on the longhaul back. I have to say, while Y was more than bearable for the short regional, I can't even fathom going back to it for the longhaul. On a side note--when you book a paid two leg trip Y+ and only get to upgrade the longhaul via Asia Miles, you still get lounge passes on HKG despite flying Y on the last leg. I was going to use my Priority Pass for one of the Taverns, but CX lounges in HKG are pretty damn nice, so that was a pleasant surprise. 

As a side, side note--J meals seem to have taken a bit of a hit on CX. While the service was still there, the quality of the food seemed noticeably sub-par from what I remember. Anyone else notice that? 

The fact that not every seat in their Prestige class has aisle access bugs me.  I guess I could get a seat in the center section (so the person next to me wouldn't need to crawl over me), but ti generally makes me debate whether it's worth the extra 20,000 miles (each way) to go in first.  

I've only cashed in once on KAL, and I did that trip (a one way return from BKK, with a stop in Seoul for business) in first.  Excellent experience, which I would be happy to repeat!

Delta is only 70k for biz class on KAL using SkyMiles?  What is it for first?  

Having been swayed by all of the SkyPeso bashing by bloggers, I have virtually ignored my Delta account, so I would be eligible to snag some bonus miles with a Delta AMEX....

On their 777's, I get a aisle seat in the center section as you mention. More often than not, the middle seat is empty. Upstairs on their A380, there's enough room so no one has to climb over anyone else. There is no option for first using Delta Skymiles. If it's not too much trouble to pick up the sign-up bonuses, it might be worth it to keep some options in your back pocket. Even if you just need it for one-way on a future trip.

Those new KAL Prestige Suites look to be the same hard product as JAL's updated Sky Suite, which I got to sample last Aug. Overall, one of the most private experiences in any class other than F class suites on Emirates and Etihad. The downside is that they are so partitioned off that it can get a bit claustrophobic. I actually changed into my PJ's right at my seat with no fear of causing a public indecency issue. Seat is a bit narrow though, so if you're very broad shouldered, you could potentially be touching the partition wall the entire flight. Also found that the window seats have ZERO storage. Hopefully KAL figured out some pockets for phones, etc. 

Just got back from LOS. Broke my prior record for sleep on a plane. 10 sequential hours in CX F (mattress pad makes all the difference). Almost a shame really, considering that I didn't partake in snack service or drink half a bottle of Blue Label during the trip--two things I look forward to in CX F.  Got to experience three of the four classes of CX this trip. Longhaul J out, Y for HKG to BKK, regional J for BKK to HKG, and F on the longhaul back. I have to say, while Y was more than bearable for the short regional, I can't even fathom going back to it for the longhaul. On a side note--when you book a paid two leg trip Y+ and only get to upgrade the longhaul via Asia Miles, you still get lounge passes on HKG despite flying Y on the last leg. I was going to use my Priority Pass for one of the Taverns, but CX lounges in HKG are pretty damn nice, so that was a pleasant surprise. 

As a side, side note--J meals seem to have taken a bit of a hit on CX. While the service was still there, the quality of the food seemed noticeably sub-par from what I remember. Anyone else notice that? 

Don't think I was blown away by the food in J on my RT flights earlier this month.  TBH, I can't even remember what I had!  I used to take photos of all of the food, but didn't this time, so maybe I'm just getting spoiled?

That bed in Cathay F is just incredible!  LOVE it. 

Not to stray again, but I consider this a bit of a "credit card churn" thread as well - 

Just saw this blog post about the Citi Hilton Visa Signature card -- they have increased bonus of 75,000 HH points with $2k spend over 3 months (and card is no annual fee):

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/02/22/75000-hilton-points/

I'm thinking seriously of getting it, despite what a crappy deal HH points are after devaluation.  Here's why I'm considering it:

- HH balance is at close to 30,000 

- the 75k bonus on this card + the $2k spend would give me (at least) another 77,000 points

- I have a little over 45k in Virgin Atlantic miles, that I will not use for flights (I just don't travel to UK or Europe).  They transfer 1-1.5 to HH, so that's 67,500 HH points (but I'll transfer some UR points over to get my balance up, since they require transfer to be in increments of 10k).

- Perhaps most importantly, I am finishing up my last minimum spend right now (got about $100 left), so I'm open to take on a new one (and $2k is a piece of cake to hit - I'm having eye surgery in March that will kill a big chunk of it)

Pattaya Hilton is 50,000 points per night, but you get the 5th night free when you book 4, so it's 5 nights for 200,000 HH points.

All of the transfers and bonuses above would put me on the verge of 200,000 points (I could do another couple of thousand UR points to Virgin, then to HH to get me there).  I figure Pattaya Hilton would run me around $175/night, so that's $875 in value.  Not great, but the only "cost" is the transfer of the Virgin points.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Not to stray again, but I consider this a bit of a "credit card churn" thread as well - 

Just saw this blog post about the Citi Hilton Visa Signature card -- they have increased bonus of 75,000 HH points with $2k spend over 3 months (and card is no annual fee):

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/02/22/75000-hilton-points/

I'm thinking seriously of getting it, despite what a crappy deal HH points are after devaluation.  Here's why I'm considering it:

- HH balance is at close to 30,000 

- the 75k bonus on this card + the $2k spend would give me (at least) another 77,000 points

- I have a little over 45k in Virgin Atlantic miles, that I will not use for flights (I just don't travel to UK or Europe).  They transfer 1-1.5 to HH, so that's 67,500 HH points (but I'll transfer some UR points over to get my balance up, since they require transfer to be in increments of 10k).

- Perhaps most importantly, I am finishing up my last minimum spend right now (got about $100 left), so I'm open to take on a new one (and $2k is a piece of cake to hit - I'm having eye surgery in March that will kill a big chunk of it)

Pattaya Hilton is 50,000 points per night, but you get the 5th night free when you book 4, so it's 5 nights for 200,000 HH points.

All of the transfers and bonuses above would put me on the verge of 200,000 points (I could do another couple of thousand UR points to Virgin, then to HH to get me there).  I figure Pattaya Hilton would run me around $175/night, so that's $875 in value.  Not great, but the only "cost" is the transfer of the Virgin points.

Thoughts?

Sounds like because you're already invested in the Hilton program, so that might be a no-brainer. I'm tempted by the relatively low spend threshold on the 75k, but if I step back and look at the value, I'd only be getting about $262.50 worth of hotel stay points for the spend--so 1.5 nights at Pattaya Hilton. Another way to look at it is that one blogger pins HH points at .5 cents/point. So $375 for this promotion. Compare that with Chase UR 50k bonus at 2.1 cents/point for a total of $1,050 value, but higher min spend. Kind of a currency conversion way of looking at it, where the baseline value isn't so great if you're not already invested in the program.

I would love to stay at the Pattaya Hilton though, so I can see the value for you in padding your existing points.  I'd say go for it if you haven't already pulled a few cards this cycle, as you clearly have a good plan and use for the points (not speculative). Wondering if the complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status I got via Amex Plat would provide an upgrade if I were to book on cash...

Wondering if the complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status I got via Amex Plat would provide an upgrade if I were to book on cash...

Golds do qualify for a room upgrade on paid reservations. It is however not guaranteed, but rather on a "room-available" basis. I have received a good number of upgrades in the past, but not always

I have never stayed at the Pattaya Hilton specifically as I find the decor too cold for my taste, so can't comment on how that specific property handles upgrades. You should get a free breakfast as a Gold though, which to me is probably a bigger benefit.

• Like 1

I would love to stay at the Pattaya Hilton though, so I can see the value for you in padding your existing points.  I'd say go for it if you haven't already pulled a few cards this cycle, as you clearly have a good plan and use for the points (not speculative). Wondering if the complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status I got via Amex Plat would provide an upgrade if I were to book on cash...

Golds do qualify for a room upgrade on paid reservations. It is however not guaranteed, but rather on a "room-available" basis. I have received a good number of upgrades in the past, but not always

I have never stayed at the Pattaya Hilton specifically as I find the decor too cold for my taste, so can't comment on how that specific property handles upgrades. You should get a free breakfast as a Gold though, which to me is probably a bigger benefit.

As I recall, my room was upgraded to an executive level room (can't figure out what made them an "upgrade" but they were nice rooms) given my HHonors Gold status (acquired through Citi Hilton Premier card).

I do recall that I got free breakfast (choice of lounge or buffet) on my last trip.  They have quite a spread at their buffet in the morning, although it seems to be pretty much the same thing from day to day.

Booked my next trip with AA points.  Cathay Pacific was not available at all and so had to go with JAL with an overnight stay in Narita on the return side.  I was told that if CP becomes available down the road that I will be able to switch.  I was hoping to get one last 1st class in before the points were devalued.

Booked my next trip with AA points.  Cathay Pacific was not available at all and so had to go with JAL with an overnight stay in Narita on the return side.  I was told that if CP becomes available down the road that I will be able to switch.  I was hoping to get one last 1st class in before the points were devalued.

JAL isn't bad at all, but their current 787's are a mix of angle-flat and the newer Sky Suites in business class.  The latter is far superior, but hasn't fully rolled out to all markets yet. Boston doesn't get the Sky Suite on the 787 until this summer. Their first class looks to be pretty good too, so changing to CX may only be required if you like CX's itinerary better than JAL. I could be mistaken, but I think there is a $150 change fee involved for AA award changes that are A) Mileage Saver, B) on carriers other than AA, or C) requested for redeposit. 

Ho ho, last time I flew business to BKK it was an unholy mix of BA, Cathay and Qatar. The reason I went for this strange mix was the schedules and the TP, and I actually managed to sleep for most of those flights, for once. Mostly good, but the catering out of Heathrow was utterly disgusting as usual. Leave it to our british friends to attempt to make fancy dishes and fail miserably. I'd take bangers and mash any day over the foul pretentious stuff they come up with in the LHR kitchens.

But at least I have my gold card for one more year now, on account of taking the long way around.

I could be mistaken, but I think there is a $150 change fee involved for AA award changes that are A) Mileage Saver, B) on carriers other than AA, or C) requested for redeposit. 

That's what I thought, but when I checked on changing my last award ticket on Cathay (earlier this month), the Rep told me no fees (had to pay like $2 in extra taxes).   Ended up changing it twice in the 48 hours before my flight, and incurred no charges (besides the tax difference).

That said, my departure date, airline and travel cities all remained the same.

I am now thoroughly confused by it all.....

I may call about my Nov. trip and see if I can tweak the return date.  Right now, I'm on an ideal flight in biz on Cathay (leave around 5 p.m. on Mon.), BUT I leave the day the International fireworks festival starts.  I freakin' LOVE the fireworks festival, and should have a nice chest of HHonors points to take advantage of by then.  I checked and can push it back 2 days, but I would be leaving early in the a.m., and would be on JAL connecting to AA....but first class is available on those.

For now I'm sitting tight.  Frankly, I think Cathay biz may be equal to or better than AA first, since AA's new planes are not on this route.

I think AA is holding back on CP until the points devaluation occurs.

While I wouldn't put it past AA to work up something like that, CX award availability is controlled by CX, and it is visible outside of AA's award searches. Therefore, AA can't really control what is actually available.  What they can do is make it difficult to actually book available seats. I often times wonder if some of their phone agents are bad at "finding" seats or if they are trained to be "bad" at it. 

From what I understand, CX releases seats a year out, then again a couple weeks before. I've seen truth to both of those statements. Unlike AA, they also don't offer check-in upgrade options (paid or otherwise). Their strategy is to maximize paid seats, even if that means occasionally flying with empty seats. 

I don't know much about the miles game but I did have close to enough AA miles to book a trip today. I had to top up my account with their recent offer to get me to where I needed to be but I didn't find anything listed on their website. I checked BA's website and found a trip in November with Qatar Airways and thought that's what I would get.

When I called AA, they had several flights available on AA and JAL for the dates that I wanted but none listed on their website. The girl did say she tried all of the other partner airlines and came up with nothing.

When I asked about the Qatar flights, she said they would cost 97,500 miles each way for business class. That was 42,500 more than business class on the AA/JAL flight offered to me.

I read that AA business class often didn't have true flat bed seats so I asked about first class availability. It was available and only for a few thousand miles more. I chose that route.

I guess the point is that the agent seemed real good at pushing me to take the AA/JAL flight instead of others. At least that's the impression that I got. Again, I am not a miles guy. I don't know much about it and I can't bitch about getting to fly first class for a very little bit of money.

Anyone got any impressions of AA's first class product? From watching online videos, it seems to not be much different than Eva's business class that I flew last year.

Regardless of the product, I'm grateful to have my second trip to LOS booked even if I have to wait until late November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know much about the miles game but I did have close to enough AA miles to book a trip today. I had to top up my account with their recent offer to get me to where I needed to be but I didn't find anything listed on their website. I checked BA's website and found a trip in November with Qatar Airways and thought that's what I would get.

When I called AA, they had several flights available on AA and JAL for the dates that I wanted but none listed on their website. The girl did say she tried all of the other partner airlines and came up with nothing.

When I asked about the Qatar flights, she said they would cost 97,500 miles each way for business class. That was 42,500 more than business class on the AA/JAL flight offered to me.

I read that AA business class often didn't have true flat bed seats so I asked about first class availability. It was available and only for a few thousand miles more. I chose that route.

I guess the point is that the agent seemed real good at pushing me to take the AA/JAL flight instead of others. At least that's the impression that I got. Again, I am not a miles guy. I don't know much about it and I can't bitch about getting to fly first class for a very little bit of money.

Anyone got any impressions of AA's first class product? From watching online videos, it seems to not be much different than Eva's business class that I flew last year.

Regardless of the product, I'm grateful to have my second trip to LOS booked even if I have to wait until late November.

AA award chart should be static, no matter what award partner. Did you use flight numbers when trying to book? It sometimes helps (sometime not). If you feel that the person on the other end just isn't finding things, just hang up and call back to get a different, and hopefully better agent.

JAL would be my first pick of the three, but that's assuming your departure city offers the Sky Suite in J. I would then pick Qatar if on the A350, and then AA. If Qatar doesn't have the A350, then I'd pick AA first. I believe AA has fully upgraded to Zodiac seats across all longhaul flights, so you're getting the CX hard product there (just not the CX service).  That means that you're pretty much guaranteed a lie-flat bed no matter what airline. Question is, do you get an angle-flat or a full lie-flat. That all depends on your departure city for the long leg. 

FWIW, I have looked through their award charts, and I can't figure out WTF she was trying to do to you!

They do not have a location using oneworld that should be 97,500 each way in biz class.

the 331 day rule KILLS me....

Looking at flights in February of 2017, and ONE first class seat is left on the flight that I love....but I'm unable to book it with AA miles for another 16 days.  No way in Hell it's still available by then....

Sadly, Alaska has the same 331 day booking period.

Qatar is now popping up on BA's website for LAX-BKK.  Pretty brutal flight (25 hours), but they've got an excellent reputation.

With AA miles on OneWorld, you can only book a single award from USA to Asia 2 by flying over the Pacific (currently 55K, soon to be 70K). Choosing Qatar means two awards each way. USA to Middle East (67.5K) and Middle East to Asia 2 (30K). 

Being an east-coaster, one of the things I like about United/Star Alliance is the option to go either direction for the same number of miles.

• Like 2

With AA miles on OneWorld, you can only book a single award from USA to Asia 2 by flying over the Pacific (currently 55K, soon to be 70K). Choosing Qatar means two awards each way. USA to Middle East (67.5K) and Middle East to Asia 2 (30K). 

Being an east-coaster, one of the things I like about United/Star Alliance is the option to go either direction for the same number of miles.

That never really made that much sense to me, as flights aren't always "as the crow flies". East coast USA to HKG goes north pole, so one can't really say it is a transpac flight. in fact, most east coast flights via HKG are actually shorter in nautical miles to BKK as opposed to going through DOH. I do get what you're saying though about AA's 67.5 and 30k award logic. Just strange logic on the airline's behalf. 

AA award chart should be static, no matter what award partner. Did you use flight numbers when trying to book? It sometimes helps (sometime not). If you feel that the person on the other end just isn't finding things, just hang up and call back to get a different, and hopefully better agent.

JAL would be my first pick of the three, but that's assuming your departure city offers the Sky Suite in J. I would then pick Qatar if on the A350, and then AA. If Qatar doesn't have the A350, then I'd pick AA first. I believe AA has fully upgraded to Zodiac seats across all longhaul flights, so you're getting the CX hard product there (just not the CX service). That means that you're pretty much guaranteed a lie-flat bed no matter what airline. Question is, do you get an angle-flat or a full lie-flat. That all depends on your departure city for the long leg.

I did a little research about AA's business and read that they were having problems with their supplier that originally provided the seats to upgrade their fleet to the new business class product.

Perhaps I didn't do enough research but that's what led me to first class as I knew that would assure me a lay flat seat. The departure city for long haul is Dallas and taking a chance at having an angle seat or that distance wasn't an option for me. I'm not mad at them. I'm sure all will be fine.

FWIW, I have looked through their award charts, and I can't figure out WTF she was trying to do to you!

They do not have a location using oneworld that should be 97,500 each way in biz class.

Me neither. I think it is probably explained by posters below. She did say it was different for flying across the Pacific vs. the Atlantic. They definitely wanted me to fly across the Pacific.

That makes sense. Well, it explains what they were doing but it doesn't make sense that they would do it though.

That never really made that much sense to me, as flights aren't always "as the crow flies". East coast USA to HKG goes north pole, so one can't really say it is a transpac flight. in fact, most east coast flights via HKG are actually shorter in nautical miles to BKK as opposed to going through DOH. I do get what you're saying though about AA's 67.5 and 30k award logic. Just strange logic on the airline's behalf.

Very strange. I'll deal with it. I have other things that I could complain about.

I had the first girl save my flight. On the next day I called back to book and then asked about first class as an option and the next agent chose the same routes and flights for me as the original one did - just upgraded one class.

Oh well. I'm sure all will be fine. I should have spent more time with them making them work a little harder as I really wanted to fly Cathay, but I didn't have it in me. Maybe next year!!!

Thanks for posting and good to know!  I thought they just looked at final destination.

That also means that Qatar is NOT an option for me! 555

This might be a bit off topic, but I know writing here will get good replies from the people on this thread.  About to get 60k Chase UR points from a Sapphire Preferred on the last churn (50k plus spend & spend bonus). I have 12k BA Avios left stranded after an Amex transfer during greener days (30% transfer bonus). I have maybe only 3-4k stranded United miles. No SQ or KE miles to date, or any substantial hotel points. AA is still my main program, and I actively accumulate points via a Barclay's Aviator in heavy rotation. Probably still have around 50k AA miles in the bank after cashing out most in the firesale. I also have Amex Plat still in use too.

If this were you, what would you do with these 60k Chase UR points? I figure I could daisy-chain program transfers to eventually get to AA, but basically turning about 60k UR points into 25k AA at best. If I transfer to BA, I'm close to a one way J ticket.