IGNORED

Tequila Reef

ChangFai

The owners response was gracious. The OP's reaction to it was graceless. He could have replied "no, thank you" to the offer which was made by PM, instead of chucking it back in his face in front of the whole board.

I haven't eaten here but ive eaten their food because Laamok has used them for catering at his places. I thought it was delicious.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The owners response was gracious. The OP's reaction to it was graceless. He could have replied "no, thank you" to the offer which was made by PM, instead of chucking it back in his face in front of the whole board.

I haven't eaten here but ive eaten their food because Laamok has used them for catering at his places. I thought it was delicious.

+1

I don't get what the OP is trying to achieve - unless they are trying to look like a cunt.....

I miss Mexican food a lot

The fact that this guy makes an effort to provide it under difficult circumstances goes a long way

is it anything close to what I had regularly in Houston?  Of course not.

But it is much better than I expected.

The guacamole is about 50% there ...but that is better than 0%.  So I get guac and chips and 2 items off the al la carte - usually a cheese enchalada and a chicken soft taco.  And it makes me feel a lillte bit like I am at home

Finally - the Petron Marg "on the rocks" - it is damn near IDENTICAL to typical Houston joint.  The only difference is sometimes in the Triple Sec...and they are best if made by Fon (waitress)

Sure,,they are $ 10 - $12...and I am happy to pay it as I understand the effort it takes to bring in the ingredients

Now that the joint on Soy 13 ("Parrot ?') is out of business I will definately support this place as much as I can to get my fix ..... 

Again guys ,thanks for the gracious comments. The only thing I can do as an owner is take actionable steps based on your feedback and be professional towards customer service and constructive or even destructive criticism. The bottom line in the restaurant business is, you cannot please everyone.

I believe the statements on this thread speak volumes. Cheers!

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

Sorry but I found your offer of 200 baht off my next meal at TR, derisory.

Maybe 200 baht is what you think your 365 baht Fajitas dish is actually worth ?

I have had too many bad experiences in Tequila Reef over the years to think this was a one off.

Too many places are doing what you are attempting to do, and doing it much better IMO ..... Lone Star on Leng Kee for example.

I really think you are in denial at how bad the service in your restaurant really is.

So thank you, but no thank you.

If he offered 200 baht off over a PM and you're not pleased with that response, it makes more sense to ask him directly what you want over PM instead of being negative with "I have had too many bad experiences in Tequila Reef over the years to think this was a one off" after you already said you haven't eaten there in 8 years in the original post. 

Part of the reason Mexican food never meets our expectations in SE Asia is that a lot the ingredients are damn expensive in Asia (beef, cheese, avocados, poblanos, pasillas, chipotles, masa harina, tomatoes, sour cream etc). You can only charge so much and expect people to show up. You have to cut corners somewhere. We expect Mex to be cheap and it ain't cheap to make in Thailand.

If he offered 200 baht off over a PM and you're not pleased with that response, it makes more sense to ask him directly what you want over PM instead of being negative with "I have had too many bad experiences in Tequila Reef over the years to think this was a one off" after you already said you haven't eaten there in 8 years in the original post. 

Sorry I am missing your point.

Yes, I have had many bad experiences in Tequila Reef.

Yes, I havent eaten there in 8 years until last week.

And yes I found 200 baht for a botched 365 baht dish DERISORY !

ahh,tequilla reef restaurants,

have visited the soi 7 establishment a few times since it opened as i love mexican food and this was about the only place in pattaya that was trying to reproduce mexican food at the time,

unfortunately they have failed miserably over my few visits,

did also try the angeles city branch which is owned by the same people,same bad experiance unfortunately here,

want excellent mexican food near to pattaya,then mikes,on soi 5 thappraya road has got it pegged,i and my pool team can be found here whenever we have matches in the area,

as for tequilareefs offer of 200 baht back off the next meal,thats just insulting,

if you genuinely want to make improvements tequila,why not offer the op to come down to your restaurant where you will personally greet him,hear out his complaints and give him a much improved meal on the house,now that would be customer service and wanting to right wrongs in my book,

maybe then the op would be kind enough to write a review in your favour, stating that indeed tequilareef has improved his food,has retrained his staff,has spent money on improved/clean decor,

hell,then i might even give the place another shot myself.

why should the op reply to tequilareef by pm and not through this board,

thats what board are for,imformation,wheres good,wheres bad,what to avoid,what to enjoy,

the op had a bad meal,he is within his right to report it to the board and to also report any follow up replies,good or bad,

why should the op reply to tequilareef by pm and not through this board,

thats what board are for,imformation,wheres good,wheres bad,what to avoid,what to enjoy,

the op had a bad meal,he is within his right to report it to the board and to also report any follow up replies,good or bad,

I agree   . I like to hear negative AND positive reviews.

Not to pile on, but I think Tequilareef made a legitimate offer in an attempt to appease the OP who was not satisfied with his meal, although he admits the fajitas were "were actually quite tasty" and another sizzling plate arrived shortly after the "lukewarm" plate.  I have not been to TR yet, but it's always on my list of spots to hit.  

Personally, I chalk this up to a communication issue.  In my experience, many areas of Thai service are amazing -- the hotels, for example, are exponentially better than the service you get at most non-5 star hotels here in USA in my opinion -- but issues seem to pop up every now and then regarding service in restaurants/from wait staff.  

Mai pen rai....

BTW, the fact that the OP wasn't happy with Tequilareef's offer of 200 baht off his next meal reminded me of this CLASSIC clip from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High":

http://movieclips.com/xSADW-fast-times-at-ridgemont-high-movie-brad-gets-canned/

Depressing side note:

Judge Reinhold is now 55.....I remember this movie like it was 10 years ago....it came out THIRTY years ago!  Jesus I'm getting old....

I still remember how excited I was to see a teenage Phoebe Cates' tits....well....okay....I STILL get excited every time that I see a teenage Phoebe Cates' tits!

BTW, the fact that the OP wasn't happy with Tequilareef's offer of 200 baht off his next meal reminded me of this CLASSIC clip from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High":

http://movieclips.com/xSADW-fast-times-at-ridgemont-high-movie-brad-gets-canned/

Depressing side note:

Judge Reinhold is now 55.....I remember this movie like it was 10 years ago....it came out THIRTY years ago!  Jesus I'm getting old....

I still remember how excited I was to see a teenage Phoebe Cates' tits....well....okay....I STILL get excited every time that I see a teenage Phoebe Cates' tits!

And a great book by Cameron Crowe.

I would hate to be a restaurant owner in Asia, fucking hard work trying to scrape out  a living!  Staff, product and lack of supervision are the ongoing points and us trying to get get a 1st world meal at a 3rd world price.

I would hate to be a restaurant owner in Asia, fucking hard work trying to scrape out  a living!  Staff, product and lack of supervision are the ongoing points and us trying to get get a 1st world meal at a 3rd world price.

Yet so many achieve it.

thousands of other restaurants turn out fantastic meals for asian prices every day of the week here in pattaya,

from italian,greek,british,french,japanese,chinese,indian,etc etc,every taste is catered for at thai prices,just take any one of the type of restaurants in my list and most nights they will have as many thai customers as farang customers in them,

was yesterday at 18 coins where i was served a very tasty english roast dinner of breast of chicken with 2 slices pork,roast potatoes,mash potatoes,yorkshire pudding. two types of veg and gravy,all served piping hot and with a smile for 129 baht total,(have no connection with said establishment)

i think the op paid somewhere 350 baht for his food at tequila reef,do you not then think for this price it should have been tasty,piping hot and served with a smile ??

in my book there is absolutely no excuse for bad food and bad service in any restaurant the world over.

Yet so many achieve it.

Why don't you post about them?  Instead of picking the negative?

Eaten in t reef a few times

T reefs ribs are spot on

Most of the other dishs I have tryed are average at best

With above average price

Why don't you post about them?  Instead of picking the negative?

I do.

When you reported that you didn't like the breakfast at The Irish Rovers, were we all supposed to reply similarly ?

Great food I went with a mate a few nights ago, he loves it there because it's a good place to get steak dishes

IMO the food at TR was great the first few years. Without a doubt the best Mexican in Thailand. It slowly degraded to the point where nobody would eat there anymore. We still go in for drinks though. Whether its gotten better or worse - I have no clue.

I do.

When you reported that you didn't like the breakfast at The Irish Rovers, were we all supposed to reply similarly ?

And that was compared to 9 other breakfasts!!  You have twisted that around to suit your own ends.  Why don't you go to 10 different Mexican  restaurants in Pattaya and do some  reviews, then you might earn a little bit of cred on this forum.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/130612-nixonsbest-and-worst-breakfasts/

More replies and view than your shitty little thread will get.

I  enjoy TR and the magaritas are awesome but not cheap which is ok cause I would rather have quality over quanitity there. I think bring back the free chips and salsa would be a great idea at least if you order an entree. I usually order the TR sampler and have never had a problem. I usually only eat there once every trip because with such great Thai food to be had why would I. This goes the same for most farang food. I have never seen the quality as good as the homeland food with any resturant in Pattaya.

I would say the service staff needs to be more attentive to the customer needs and check back to see if all is good or something else is needed but say its on par with most places.

And that was compared to 9 other breakfasts!!  You have twisted that around to suit your own ends.  Why don't you go to 10 different Mexican  restaurants in Pattaya and do some  reviews, then you might earn a little bit of cred on this forum.

"cred" ?

Is that what its all about ?

+1

I've had a number of good conversations with falangs trying to run a restaurant over here.  Listening to them and adding in my own observations; getting and keeping good wait staff can be problematic.   In many cases, the owner/competent manager has to be present with a "hands-on" type management style.   There is a restaurant here in Chiang Mai where I can tell if the manager present just by looking the window!    If the staff are out among the customers doing their job, the manager is there.  Otherwise, they are all gathered around the back counter gossiping or playing with their cell-phones.

Pattaya can present it's own set of problems.  Many will tell you they have plenty of women apply for wait staff jobs.   Get them trained up and working.  Then they see girls come in with their boyfriends/sponsors/suckers and hear about the money the girl is getting from them.  Then, they get their own boyfriend/sponsor/sucker and they are gone!

One owner described to me how he has girls apply for jobs just a week or two before certain boyfriend/sponsor/sucker's vacation trip to Pattaya.   That way, he sees her working at the restaurant and she can tell him "See, I don't work in bar anymore.  I'm good girl now!"  Then the boyfriend/sponsor/sucker goes back home, continues sending the money, and the restaurant owner gets the "I'm quitting" phone call.   I got a chuckle out of the story but I don't think the owner finds quite as much humor in the story!

"Time travel!! All you want is to slap a hippie, but all you get is multiple Kowalski's."

Archived