IGNORED

Tequila Reef

ChangFai

I think I noticed that the owner of Tequila Reef posts on this board, so maybe he would like reply to this ?

I have eaten at Tequila Reef since it first opened, but not for the last 8 years after a bad experience over smoking being allowed in the indoor part of restaurant, even though signs were on the door saying different, and being told different by the staff.

I thought it was maybe time to give Tequila Reef a try again, so we made a visit the other night.

It was about 8.30pm when we entered and there was 3 other tables occupied.

When approached by the waitress, I already knew what I wanted to order, the Fajitas.

Waitress : "Eh" ?

I picked up the menu again and pointed to what I wanted.

Waitress : "Aaaaaw Fajitas, why you not say"

Yes, maybe my accent was too strong for her, or I didn't pronounce it properly for her ..... but I am already getting De Ja Vu signals of past visits.

I also ordered a Tiger Beer, which came in a stupid condom that was made for a small can, and totally pointless.

It also looks like I have picked the worst table to sit at (window on far right hand side), as the tiles on the table are broken and the surface is very uneven.

Oh well, never mind .

Then the aircon starts to drip water on me  rolleyes.gif

I notice one of the other tables are also having trouble ordering, and the same waitress is now explaining to the whole restaurant loudly that "No hab fish today".

About 20 minutes later, two sizzling plates of fajitas are delivered to one of the other tables, it looks good.

5 minutes later, mine arrives, and there is no sizzle.

In fact, the sauce that is on top of the steak and veg has got a congealed look to it.

I put fingers on the hot plate.

Waitress : "NOT DO, VERY HOT"

But its not hot, its barely warm.

I ask why my Fajitas is not sizzling like the other tables ?

Waitress : "Aaaaah, this one cook first".

But served last ?

Waitress : "No understand"

She decides she wants no more to do with me, turns about and leaves.

So do I make a song and dance and then wait another 30 minutes for a freshly cooked one, or just eat this one ?

I decide to eat this one, the Fajitas themselves were actually quite tasty, but the side dishes of Mexican rice and a bland dish of beans were also stone cold, and very poor.

About 5 minutes into eating the dish, guess what turns up at my table ?

A puzzled looking waitress with a sizzling plate of Fajitas !!!!

Before I can say anything, the sizzling plate is quickly returned to the kitchen and the waitresses are now talking among themselves.

I call them over for an explanation, but nobody wants to to talk to me, and all I am getting is shrugged shoulders and "no understand".

I check bin with the exact amount and leave, just like I did 8 years ago, and the visit before that.

It will be longer than 8 years until I return to Tequila Reef.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry you have had a negative experience.  

I was there one time due to great reviews from other BM's.  Mo was my server and I had nothing but great food and service.  For the record I did not get the fajitas, but a combination plate (beef taco, chicken enchilada, rice and beans).  

It would have never crossed my mind to go to a Mexican restaurant in Thailand, what with all the delicious Thai food i like so much, untill i tasted the Mexican starters, supplied by the Tequila Reef, at the Nightwish opening night.

So i tried TR a few days later and it's on my 'to do list' for my next trip aswell.

I have also recommended the place to a friend of mine who is leaving today.

cheers,

Andy (a happy customer)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. We welcome any feedback, good, bad or indifferent. I will look into the matter personally and please check your PM for a personal apology. Obviously I was not there or you would have had somebody to talk to. Normally I am.

We are currently making improvements to the restaurant as we just renewed our lease and there was no point in doing anything about the broken tiles until we sealed the deal, which we have. Several improvements are being made as we speak. 

Again thanks for your feedback as it's much appreciated. Please check your PM. Cheers!

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

Always thought the food was good and every time i've eaten in there the service was above average. You must have been unlucky, twice. 

A very gracious reply by the owner plus more in a PM I assume.

The sizzling Fajitas sound good...I think I may try them next time in town.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. We welcome any feedback, good, bad or indifferent. I will look into the matter personally and please check your PM for a personal apology. Obviously I was not there or you would have had somebody to talk to. Normally I am.

We are currently making improvements to the restaurant as we just renewed our lease and there was no point in doing anything about the broken tiles until we sealed the deal, which we have. Several improvements are being made as we speak. 

Again thanks for your feedback as it's much appreciated. Please check your PM. Cheers!

I have not eaten at Tequila Reef so I cannot offer opinion on the restaurant.  But I do want to compliment BM TequilaReef (the owner/manager?) on his reply.   His reply demonstrates professionalism and a good quality response to a customer's complaint.  This should be a model of how to do it!   Just wanted to say that!

"Time travel!! All you want is to slap a hippie, but all you get is multiple Kowalski's."

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, we run professional operations both in the Philippines (4 years) and in Thailand (Now 12 years going on 13 years). In the restaurant business, it's hard to get it right every time especially here in Thailand, but we sure as hell try our best. 

As I stated earlier, all feedback is greatly appreciated. We have comment and suggestion forms in the restaurant which we hope you guys would use, giving us your honest opinion. It's things like that along with great message boards and their members giving us feedback to help us improve our business.

For the record, yes I'm the owner. 

Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

I freakin' love the Reef and pay it a visit at least once every trip.

No problems yet - in fact it's better each time, those bloody margaritas are fan-fucken-tastic.

Will be back there for my '13 trip for sure.

Well since the owner is monitoring this thread I will give my feedback as I eat there at least once or twice a month. The only complaint I have is with the salsa as the quality and taste vary from visit to visit and it seems more so over the last six months. The last time I was there which I would guess was about a month or so ago the salsa was very plain with hardly any flavor at all with both of the little bowls that come with the chips being exactly the same... I always order the salsa and chips and have no problem paying but you got to do something about controlling the quality of the salsa as to me that is the backbone of any Mexican restaurant. My guess is they ran out of the first batch so quickly whip up a second batch as the tomatoes where fresh enough but left out some key ingredients.. This assumption comes with the fact that I usually eat there late, between 9 to midnight.. Anyway good restaurant,  great location for people watching but please make sure all the chefs know how to make the salsa as I will be back but if the salsa is not up to par will have to space out my next visit to maybe 8 years... :GoldenSmile1:

Well since the owner is monitoring this thread I will give my feedback as I eat there at least once or twice a month. The only complaint I have is with the salsa as the quality and taste vary from visit to visit and it seems more so over the last six months. The last time I was there which I would guess was about a month or so ago the salsa was very plain with hardly any flavor at all with both of the little bowls that come with the chips being exactly the same... I always order the salsa and chips and have no problem paying but you got to do something about controlling the quality of the salsa as to me that is the backbone of any Mexican restaurant. My guess is they ran out of the first batch so quickly whip up a second batch as the tomatoes where fresh enough but left out some key ingredients.. This assumption comes with the fact that I usually eat there late, between 9 to midnight.. Anyway good restaurant,  great location for people watching but please make sure all the chefs know how to make the salsa as I will be back but if the salsa is not up to par will have to space out my next visit to maybe 8 years... :GoldenSmile1:

Thanks for the feedback, I will look into that now. Much appreciated

Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road

I think I noticed that the owner of Tequila Reef posts on this board, so maybe he would like reply to this ?

I have eaten at Tequila Reef since it first opened, but not for the last 8 years after a bad experience over smoking being allowed in the indoor part of restaurant, even though signs were on the door saying different, and being told different by the staff.

I thought it was maybe time to give Tequila Reef a try again, so we made a visit the other night.

It was about 8.30pm when we entered and there was 3 other tables occupied.

When approached by the waitress, I already knew what I wanted to order, the Fajitas.

Waitress : "Eh" ?

I picked up the menu again and pointed to what I wanted.

Waitress : "Aaaaaw Fajitas, why you not say"

Yes, maybe my accent was too strong for her, or I didn't pronounce it properly for her ..... but I am already getting De Ja Vu signals of past visits.

I also ordered a Tiger Beer, which came in a stupid condom that was made for a small can, and totally pointless.

It also looks like I have picked the worst table to sit at (window on far right hand side), as the tiles on the table are broken and the surface is very uneven.

Oh well, never mind .

Then the aircon starts to drip water on me  rolleyes.gif

I notice one of the other tables are also having trouble ordering, and the same waitress is now explaining to the whole restaurant loudly that "No hab fish today".

About 20 minutes later, two sizzling plates of fajitas are delivered to one of the other tables, it looks good.

5 minutes later, mine arrives, and there is no sizzle.

In fact, the sauce that is on top of the steak and veg has got a congealed look to it.

I put fingers on the hot plate.

Waitress : "NOT DO, VERY HOT"

But its not hot, its barely warm.

I ask why my Fajitas is not sizzling like the other tables ?

Waitress : "Aaaaah, this one cook first".

But served last ?

Waitress : "No understand"

She decides she wants no more to do with me, turns about and leaves.

So do I make a song and dance and then wait another 30 minutes for a freshly cooked one, or just eat this one ?

I decide to eat this one, the Fajitas themselves were actually quite tasty, but the side dishes of Mexican rice and a bland dish of beans were also stone cold, and very poor.

About 5 minutes into eating the dish, guess what turns up at my table ?

A puzzled looking waitress with a sizzling plate of Fajitas !!!!

Before I can say anything, the sizzling plate is quickly returned to the kitchen and the waitresses are now talking among themselves.

I call them over for an explanation, but nobody wants to to talk to me, and all I am getting is shrugged shoulders and "no understand".

I check bin with the exact amount and leave, just like I did 8 years ago, and the visit before that.

It will be longer than 8 years until I return to Tequila Reef.

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences. In Angeles Tequila Reef is one of the best restaurants in the city. Never single problem

Sorry but I found your offer of 200 baht off my next meal at TR, derisory.

Maybe 200 baht is what you think your 365 baht Fajitas dish is actually worth ?

I have had too many bad experiences in Tequila Reef over the years to think this was a one off.

Too many places are doing what you are attempting to do, and doing it much better IMO ..... Lone Star on Leng Kee for example.

I really think you are in denial at how bad the service in your restaurant really is.

So thank you, but no thank you.

Sorry but I found your offer of 200 baht off my next meal at TR, derisory.

Maybe 200 baht is what you think your 365 baht Fajitas dish is actually worth ?

I have had too many bad experiences in Tequila Reef over the years to think this was a one off.

Too many places are doing what you are attempting to do, and doing it much better IMO ..... Lone Star on Leng Kee for example.

I really think you are in denial at how bad the service in your restaurant really is.

So thank you, but no thank you.

maybe they could just sense you were a wanker. tequila reef has very many good reviews and from what i've seen very very little bad. I have enjoyed myself there and TR always tries to do his best to please and improve with constructive critisism. your response back is just rude. suck it trebek.

The OP does sound like the reviewer was looking to reinforce low expectations, but this restaurant has always received mixed reviews. I like their mango margaritas but have never been very impressed with the food. Blue Parrot was my favorite for Mex, now I just do without.

Retired

I had a visit last November. Food and service was fine and will return on my next visit in April. I do have a question for the owner. I come from California as such I drink tequila frequently. The Tequila Reef has a nice selection of Tequila for Thailand (although pretty expensive). Most bars in Pattaya only serve El Toro tequila ( horrible shit). Why is it so hard to find good tequila in Thailand?

Wallbanger

I had a visit last November. Food and service was fine and will return on my next visit in April. I do have a question for the owner. I come from California as such I drink tequila frequently. The Tequila Reef has a nice selection of Tequila for Thailand (although pretty expensive). Most bars in Pattaya only serve El Toro tequila ( horrible shit). Why is it so hard to find good tequila in Thailand?

Thailand has wicked taxes on all imported alcohols thus the prices for our selection of 100% Agave are not cheap (Heradura, Patron, etc.). We use only Jose Cuevo for our margaritas as we consider El Toro unacceptable as that is not Tequila in my opinion. Good tequila can be found at most well stocked liquor outlets/stores around Thailand but not all and you are looking at around 3000 baht a bottle for a reposado or rested Tequila. Feel free to PM me if you want to know where we purchase ours as some people are quite partial to good Tequila. 

Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road

I took the mia noi to Tequila Reef for a couple of feeds during my trip earlier this year.

The meals were great and the margaritas .... well I should have stopped at two!

Tried the new addition to the menu at the time which was pizza. Not the true Italian version we get back home in OZ but still not bad. What impressed me is the owner came out and wanted feedback on the quality of the pizza as they had only just introduced it to the menu.

My impression was that the owner cares about the restaurant and the quality of the food they serve. II'll certainly be back for a feed next trip.

Gotta say....the Margaritas rock !!! :)

signed khun kee nee-ow kwai

Yea Boi! And the best glass of coke in Pattaya,  You could level up the table out front feels like I am sliding down hill and the cheese looks and taste crap.

I know restaurants are judged by their service  but I make allowances in Thailand.....

The  natives in many establishments act as if they don't understand the clientèle to avoid dealing with peoples complaints....personally I blame the local culture rather than the guy trying to run a business

For instance, I have eaten at the Landmark in bkk & had the same style of response 

pass the HOT POTATO.......basically they often cannot understand your accent or figure your to difficult to please easily

The owner has offered a 60+% refund & an apology I am sure this would be more than satisfactory for most customers & shows a case of caring about standards the OP needs to get a life ...........what's his next post  Starfish bad performer......no effort  below par Bj"s

I certainly wouldn't hold poor service from a Thai restaurant against any one after being offered more than half money returned after having consumed the food.....!!!

Just on a general foot note.... most Thai's would tell you they highly rate Thai service & consider it to be one of the highest standards in the world  ......myself I would say in general the service received in Thailand is often fair to average at best, more so with the females as they often have alternative areas to 3 fold their incomes in the evening/ days off.....many are only searching/working looking for a generous sponsor  :GoldenSmile1: 

Looking forward to feb for my mex fix,best wishes...

I eat here a lot. I was pissed off when they took off the free nachos.

They used to come in a basket, I once had some put on my table by the waitress and the basket had ants riddling through the weaves of it where it joins.

I once ordered a chicken burger, I cut it in half before eating it, and it's a good job I did because it was stone cold frozen in the middle.

I've had a lot of bad experiences here, but most are good, I've not come across anywhere that serves as good stuff as here, I didn't like the BBQ place on Lengkee.

Everytime I've took a Thai here they said the Thai food was good, and even started wanting to go there on a night.

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

Archived