Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Golf Beginner

baklazan

I will answer that "NO"

A lot of the groups, though will have clubs for hire, not sure of the price. 

Also the 1600/1700 baht price will be the cheaper golf venues and will probably include green fee and the mandatory caddy, some of the bars go to other course and  do not include transport at about 250/300baht or the recommended caddy tip of at least 300baht, Also some clubs have mandatory buggies on top of caddies at 500/600 baht which again at some clubs are restricted to 1 golfer per buggy (no sharing).

Just to prepare you.

Other than that, the courses are excellent, the caddies fun, go out there and enjoy it

Thanks hammerman, very informative :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a word or two on costs...golf in Patts can be expensive. One way to reduce it is to obtain the Pattaya Sports Club card which gives a (low season?) discount on sports days at many clubs.

I usually golf with Thaigerline on their Nov - March daily golf outings. The cost is between 1600 - 1900THB and this covers green fee, caddy fee and transport. The only other cost is caddy tip (300THB - up to you). Thaigerline usually play courses which don't insist on carts - but if you like to drive around then that's extra...me I prefer the walk. If you want to hire clubs these are available from 500THB per day - but speak to owner Fabien and he will cut you a deal on clubs if you want to play a few rounds.

go to lewinski,s bar in soi 13/3

they organise golf for all levels at many different courses

they even have several sets of clubs you can borrow for a reasonable amount

if you don,t enjoy yourself with these guys it is your own fault 

good luck

A friend of mine told me you have to have some sort of green card to play golf at any course in Thailand? Does anybody know what he's talking about? Also, I leaving Chiang Mai for Pattaya next week for at least a month. I'm a total beginner but if anybody needs someone to golf (just the driving range is cool to) with let me know. Also, is there anywhere in Pattaya I can play some basketball?

I've just returned from my 9th golf trip to Pattaya....I would not consider myself an authority but I've managed to sort out which is a better way to go. I travel with a group of 4, always the best number for a fun day 2 against 2. We joined the Pattaya sports club and I usually prebook the 1st week of golf online before we leave home.We have a selection of favourite caddies and it's advisable to also book these in advance because the better ones are always in demand. The Pattaya Sports club will post rates for the month on their website and from this schedule you can see which courses have a discount even better than the normal PSC rate on which days. As an example Bangpra visitor rate for golf+cart+caddie for March is 2300 baht. For PSC member it's 1900 baht. On Mondays and Wednesdays it's 1600 baht. I juggle our golf days around these schedules and we only play Mon to Fri....weekends cost more. If you are going to play 8 or 10 games it's advisable to find a good taxi company, tell them what you want ie pick up hotel, drive to golf, wait and then return to hotel, get some quotes for each golf club (they will all be different depending on distance) and then stick with one taxi company. I prebook the taxi for the 1st week, stressing pick up times are rigid and DO NOT be late. They get the message.

Having said all of this, I know many golfers go the other way and use the "golf bars" and I'm sure this will suit many people, the only downside I can see is that you need to get to the bar in the morning, for transport to golf.

My mates and I have played about 10 courses, Siam and Siam Plantation are probably the best but we don't go there now because they are at the high end of the price range, and one big downside is the cart path only goes down one side of the fairways and carts are banned from the fairways, so if you're on the wrong side you will find yourself doing a lot of walking, and then playing the wrong club because the caddie has not brought enough with her. We find Laem Chabang up there with the best, also Khao Kheow, Burapha, Phoenix, Navy , Mountain Shadow are all magnificent courses.

Enjoy the experience.....you'll want to keep going back again and again

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

I've just returned from my 9th golf trip to Pattaya....I would not consider myself an authority but I've managed to sort out which is a better way to go. I travel with a group of 4, always the best number for a fun day 2 against 2. We joined the Pattaya sports club and I usually prebook the 1st week of golf online before we leave home.We have a selection of favourite caddies and it's advisable to also book these in advance because the better ones are always in demand. The Pattaya Sports club will post rates for the month on their website and from this schedule you can see which courses have a discount even better than the normal PSC rate on which days. As an example Bangpra visitor rate for golf+cart+caddie for March is 2300 baht. For PSC member it's 1900 baht. On Mondays and Wednesdays it's 1600 baht. I juggle our golf days around these schedules and we only play Mon to Fri....weekends cost more. If you are going to play 8 or 10 games it's advisable to find a good taxi company, tell them what you want ie pick up hotel, drive to golf, wait and then return to hotel, get some quotes for each golf club (they will all be different depending on distance) and then stick with one taxi company. I prebook the taxi for the 1st week, stressing pick up times are rigid and DO NOT be late. They get the message.

Having said all of this, I know many golfers go the other way and use the "golf bars" and I'm sure this will suit many people, the only downside I can see is that you need to get to the bar in the morning, for transport to golf.

My mates and I have played about 10 courses, Siam and Siam Plantation are probably the best but we don't go there now because they are at the high end of the price range, and one big downside is the cart path only goes down one side of the fairways and carts are banned from the fairways, so if you're on the wrong side you will find yourself doing a lot of walking, and then playing the wrong club because the caddie has not brought enough with her. We find Laem Chabang up there with the best, also Khao Kheow, Burapha, Phoenix, Navy , Mountain Shadow are all magnificent courses.

Enjoy the experience.....you'll want to keep going back again and again

Excellent post mate, very informative :ThumbUp6:

The only point I would add is that if you are "lone wolfing" it and don't have golfing buddies then the bar option is a good one. I have a couple of golfing buddies with cars in Patts  so I often go with them. However, when I am on my own I go with the excellent Thaigerline Golf - they organise transport/green-fees/caddy fee(not tip)/club-hire etc and Nov-April they take 30+ golfers a day to a wide range of courses - its a great way of making new golfing buddies; cost 1,600-1900 THB.

The only point I would add is that if you are "lone wolfing" it and don't have golfing buddies then the bar option is a good one. I have a couple of golfing buddies with cars in Patts so I often go with them. However, when I am on my own I go with the excellent Thaigerline Golf - they organise transport/green-fees/caddy fee(not tip)/club-hire etc and Nov-April they take 30+ golfers a day to a wide range of courses - its a great way of making new golfing buddies; cost 1,600-1900 THB.

Does Fabian still wear those really short shorts?lol.

Man,they were lovely.

BTW,all good info in the last couple of posts.

Does Fabian still wear those really short shorts?lol.

Man,they were lovely.

BTW,all good info in the last couple of posts.

Funnily enough I never really look at Fabien's legs Skalli 55555...however in the Thaigerline office its a different story- his missus and her mate are a right pair of lookers  :GrinNod1:

Loads of good info here.

I'd like to mention 300baht is not the recommended tip for a caddy,it's up to you,you tip the caddy what she's worth.

I had a couple of caddies at the Emerald last trip who were useless and got tipped 100baht.

It's a TIP!!! :Cuss:

I've played with a few of the golf societies around Pattaya and I still play with,sometimes,Jomtien golf.They're a decent bunch of guys and they're run by a very nice lad called Glyn.He gets quite a lot of good deals even from the high end courses. We played Pattana for 1600bt (inc buggy) a few weeks back.

Other than that I play with a few mates,usually 3 times a week.No problem for us if anyone wants to join as we're all high handicappers 16+.

If you get the chance to play St Andrews 2000,go for it.1900baht on Wednesdays,a great course. :wink:

I saw Mike the Scot mentioned in an earlier post,does anyone have a contact for him as I am in need of a lesson or two.I got my handicap down by three strokes last trip and I reckon a lesson could improve me more.I haven't had a lesson yet!

Cheers. :hello09:

Loads of good info here.

I'd like to mention 300baht is not the recommended tip for a caddy,it's up to you,you tip the caddy what she's worth.

I had a couple of caddies at the Emerald last trip who were useless and got tipped 100baht.

It's a TIP!!! :Cuss:

I've played with a few of the golf societies around Pattaya and I still play with,sometimes,Jomtien golf.They're a decent bunch of guys and they're run by a very nice lad called Glyn.He gets quite a lot of good deals even from the high end courses. We played Pattana for 1600bt (inc buggy) a few weeks back.

Other than that I play with a few mates,usually 3 times a week.No problem for us if anyone wants to join as we're all high handicappers 16+.

If you get the chance to play St Andrews 2000,go for it.1900baht on Wednesdays,a great course. :wink:

I saw Mike the Scot mentioned in an earlier post,does anyone have a contact for him as I am in need of a lesson or two.I got my handicap down by three strokes last trip and I reckon a lesson could improve me more.I haven't had a lesson yet!

Cheers. :hello09:

Some useful info in this post thanks - I would however  like to pick up the issue of the tip. The "recommended" tip IS 300 THB - if you ask a golf society, bar, thaigerline, Pattaya Sports Club or the golf club itself you will find that (almost) all recommend 300THB. The caddies salary structure and personal expectation is geared to this. If you pay 100THB for a "bad caddy" then you better not plan going back to that course anytime soon....the 100THB tip marks you out as Keeniow (mean). Incidentally to use your logic that its a "TIP" (ie pay what you like), well you wouldn't tip anything at a bar or restaurant giving you what you considered to be sub-standard service,,,well why would you pay anything to a caddy...because we both that it isn't the same situation ie that a tip IS expected.. 

Re the caddies - in terms of your expectations, they are there to drag your clubs around and to tell you distances and point out any hidden hazards on the course...most of all they should have a friendly disposition. If you get a caddy who can read the greens well - then that's a real bonus. A good bunch of caddies can really enhance the fun aspect of any round of golf.

If you want to book in advance the very best caddies (eg Boy or Fon at Burapha they will expect 400THB minimum)..caddies like these are golfers themselves and use their knowledge of your game and of the course itself - eg, they won't automatically hand you a driver on a par 4/5...instead they will assist you with intelligent club selection.

Golf in Issan is very different from Patts, courses while not as good are between 50-70% cheaper and the recommended caddy tip rate is 200THB.

Some useful info in this post thanks - I would however  like to pick up the issue of the tip. The "recommended" tip IS 300 THB - if you ask a golf society, bar, thaigerline, Pattaya Sports Club or the golf club itself you will find that (almost) all recommend 300THB. The caddies salary structure and personal expectation is geared to this. If you pay 100THB for a "bad caddy" then you better not plan going back to that course anytime soon....the 100THB tip marks you out as Keeniow (mean). Incidentally to use your logic that its a "TIP" (ie pay what you like), well you wouldn't tip anything at a bar or restaurant giving you what you considered to be sub-standard service,,,well why would you pay anything to a caddy...because we both that it isn't the same situation ie that a tip IS expected.. 

Re the caddies - in terms of your expectations, they are there to drag your clubs around and to tell you distances and point out any hidden hazards on the course...most of all they should have a friendly disposition. If you get a caddy who can read the greens well - then that's a real bonus. A good bunch of caddies can really enhance the fun aspect of any round of golf.

If you want to book in advance the very best caddies (eg Boy or Fon at Burapha they will expect 400THB minimum)..caddies like these are golfers themselves and use their knowledge of your game and of the course itself - eg, they won't automatically hand you a driver on a par 4/5...instead they will assist you with intelligent club selection.

Golf in Issan is very different from Patts, courses while not as good are between 50-70% cheaper and the recommended caddy tip rate is 200THB.

Ditto the tip info, started to reply the same, but got distracted by a Soi 6 thread.  :BJ1:

Funnily enough I never really look at Fabien's legs Skalli 55555...however in the Thaigerline office its a different story- his missus and her mate are a right pair of lookers  :GrinNod1:

You got that Pontiac.

Ditto the tip info, started to reply the same, but got distracted by a Soi 6 thread.  :BJ1:

Great minds think alike :hello09:

The most keeniow activity I heard of was of a Falang in Issan who asked for 2 caddies - the second to carry his brolly. 18 holes later he gave 200THB to his caddy and 20THB to the brolly-carrier, who in turn gave it back and burst into tears. She was depending on the money and she lost face. My mate who was playing with this guy asked whats going on - he said "well I have bought her a couple of cokes on the way round....20THB, she was only the brolly carrier". My mate called him a "tight cunt"  and never to ask to play with us again...we threw in 100THB each and paid the brolly carrier.

There is a balance to be struck between not being taken for a ride and being overly tight - "phom mai keeniow phom mai chakwai khrup"..".I am not meam, but neither am I a stupid buffalo".

The only point I would add is that if you are "lone wolfing" it and don't have golfing buddies then the bar option is a good one. I have a couple of golfing buddies with cars in Patts  so I often go with them. However, when I am on my own I go with the excellent Thaigerline Golf - they organise transport/green-fees/caddy fee(not tip)/club-hire etc and Nov-April they take 30+ golfers a day to a wide range of courses - its a great way of making new golfing buddies; cost 1,600-1900 THB.

Cheers Winna, agree if you're going solo the golf bars are the way to go. I frequented a golf bar in Soi Lenkee last March (for reasons other than golf) and met a number of golfers who invited me to join them for a hit, if I wasn't with my regulars I would definitely gone that way. Thanks for the heads up about Thaigerline.....could be another option for my small group. While I'm here I want to share with you what I reckon is the best quote from a caddie I have ever heard. As you know, most are young and cute but have limited English. One of my mates like to flirt and show off with the caddies and tries to make out he knows golf better than anyone else (19 handicap, so not THAT good) Anyway, we're ready to start at Navy and he's all over his caddie, where's the best place to aim, how far is that tree, should I keep it left...blah, blah blah. Anyway he gets one out down the middle and I'm a tad longer but close enough to hear his spiel about playing his 2nd shot. Same shit, can I reach the green, should I lay up left, where's the out of bounds. Lines up the shot and promptly blocks it straight right....out of bounds. He turns to his caddie and says "what happened there?".....she gives him a shy smile and says "keep your head down and shut the fuck up". Seriously mate....I lost it.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

Sorry lottalee winner but,regarding the tip you're way off.

IT'S A TIP!!!!!

I went back to Emerald and E Star after tipping the caddies 100baht and there was no "feeling of being keeniow"

When the caddy can't read greens,can't give distances,can't keep up and can't even look at the ball when you play your shot then an appropriate tip is given.

Pertaining to your bar/restaurant analogy,if service is shit then no or appropriate tip is given.

Most of the golfers I play with which would be a group of about 50 do the same.

Would love to play with you sometime. :GoldenSmile1:

Still waiting for a contact for Mike the Scot the Teacher,thanks!

Great minds think alike :hello09:

The most keeniow activity I heard of was of a Falang in Issan who asked for 2 caddies - the second to carry his brolly. 18 holes later he gave 200THB to his caddy and 20THB to the brolly-carrier, who in turn gave it back and burst into tears. She was depending on the money and she lost face. My mate who was playing with this guy asked whats going on - he said "well I have bought her a couple of cokes on the way round....20THB, she was only the brolly carrier". My mate called him a "tight cunt"  and never to ask to play with us again...we threw in 100THB each and paid the brolly carrier.

There is a balance to be struck between not being taken for a ride and being overly tight - "phom mai keeniow phom mai chakwai khrup"..".I am not meam, but neither am I a stupid buffalo".

Played Khao Kheow with a friend of mine in the PSC Monthly and we got teamed with an American and some fuck start from Norway.

The Yank was dynamite,we had a couple of side bets,a couple of pints.

Right from the start this Norworg was all over his caddie.

"Fuck this and fuck that,can't read greens etc"

I had a bit of banter with him about it,kind of just asked him to calm down.It was starting to affect the group.

He Didnt like that too much and 5 minutes after the round,we see the caddies all consoling this girl,as he had not tipped her,due to me saying something to him.

No problems,The American coughed up and I paid the rest and she was on her way.

What happened next cost him more than a caddie tip could ever have.

Wing mirror on Toyota whilst backing out of parking spot.Think about it.

Play enough golf over there and you will encounter the odd fucker.

Played Khao Kheow with a friend of mine in the PSC Monthly and we got teamed with an American and some fuck start from Norway.

The Yank was dynamite,we had a couple of side bets,a couple of pints.

Right from the start this Norworg was all over his caddie.

"Fuck this and fuck that,can't read greens etc"

I had a bit of banter with him about it,kind of just asked him to calm down.It was starting to affect the group.

He Didnt like that too much and 5 minutes after the round,we see the caddies all consoling this girl,as he had not tipped her,due to me saying something to him.

No problems,The American coughed up and I paid the rest and she was on her way.

What happened next cost him more than a caddie tip could ever have.

Wing mirror on Toyota whilst backing out of parking spot.Think about it.

Play enough golf over there and you will encounter the odd fucker.

No time for slagging the caddies.They are what they are,you should be able to read greens and read distances on your own to a certain extent.

We've had guys do the same thing ,1 guy threw 2 caddies off the course and was upsetting the other players,needless to say he wasn't invited back.

No time for slagging the caddies.They are what they are,you should be able to read greens and read distances on your own to a certain extent.

We've had guys do the same thing ,1 guy threw 2 caddies off the course and was upsetting the other players,needless to say he wasn't invited back.

Agreed.

Sorry lottalee winner but,regarding the tip you're way off.

IT'S A TIP!!!!!

I went back to Emerald and E Star after tipping the caddies 100baht and there was no "feeling of being keeniow"

When the caddy can't read greens,can't give distances,can't keep up and can't even look at the ball when you play your shot then an appropriate tip is given.

Pertaining to your bar/restaurant analogy,if service is shit then no or appropriate tip is given.

Most of the golfers I play with which would be a group of about 50 do the same.

Would love to play with you sometime. :GoldenSmile1:

Still waiting for a contact for Mike the Scot the Teacher,thanks!

Hi Buddy - as always in Thailand it is "up to you" how you decide to conduct yourself. However, I would not like any newbie reading this to think that tipping of caddies is entirely at your discretion ( the same as a bar/restaurant)..300THB is expected. If you do have a "bad caddy" experience, best to pay the tip and report any negative customer feedback to the golf course management.

I am back in Patts mid Oct for a week if you fancy a game :GoldenSmile1:

I will be in Patts in Oct if you fancy a round give me a buzz here,I'm prepared to play any course and can play with anyone(except for the guy who threw 2 caddies off the course).

You are also welcome to join our group if you so wish.

I don't think I'm sending wrong signals to the newbies though,usually I tip the girls 200baht which is very normal in my circles.If I book a caddie (very seldom because in the main they're not reliable) I'll give her 300 baht.

Newbies should have the benefit of all our experiences. :Clap1:

I will be in Patts in Oct if you fancy a round give me a buzz here,I'm prepared to play any course and can play with anyone(except for the guy who threw 2 caddies off the course).

You are also welcome to join our group if you so wish.

I don't think I'm sending wrong signals to the newbies though,usually I tip the girls 200baht which is very normal in my circles.If I book a caddie (very seldom because in the main they're not reliable) I'll give her 300 baht.

Newbies should have the benefit of all our experiences. :Clap1:

Hi Mate will PM you nearer the time...should be in Patts 14-20 Oct :hello09:

Lots of great info here. My circles normally will tip a caddie 300 baht if they've done their job decently and are pleasant to be around. It is up to you how much you wanna give, it is a tip!! 

I did enjoy ST Andrews 2000, it is one of the few courses I've played with a Par 6.

:GoldenSmile1:

Archived