IGNORED

Golf Beginner

baklazan

The tip is a contentious point amongst many.  When the caddy fee went to 300Baht, many assumed the tip to increase accordingly.  Personally I have stayed with the 200 as a base & will adjust accordingly on occasions.

If I book a caddy I will increase the tip to 250/300, or if I have a caddy who does not do her job properly I have on rare occasions reduced it by up to 50 baht (down to 150Baht).  Having said that, I have always given feedback/advice to the caddy on things needed for improvement in duties. 

I do not ask caddies for green reads, I ALWAYS rake bunkers myself, all I ask for is someone to keep up, & who is not a distraction to myself or other group members. 

I have noticed that many of the delays in play are caddy orientated, often where the golfer is waiting at his/her ball while the caddy dawdles along, or by golfers when it is their turn to putt then asking caddies, which way does it break, up or down hill etc.  There are no caddies at their original home venue, why become reliant (yes! reliant) on caddy info. 

I will qualify my comments with, that I am a 10+ year resident, single figure handicapper, so if some holiday maker wants to tip more, good luck to the caddy, but I don't want to be hearing that Keeniow crap.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tip is a contentious point amongst many.  When the caddy fee went to 300Baht, many assumed the tip to increase accordingly.  Personally I have stayed with the 200 as a base & will adjust accordingly on occasions.

If I book a caddy I will increase the tip to 250/300, or if I have a caddy who does not do her job properly I have on rare occasions reduced it by up to 50 baht (down to 150Baht).  Having said that, I have always given feedback/advice to the caddy on things needed for improvement in duties. 

I do not ask caddies for green reads, I ALWAYS rake bunkers myself, all I ask for is someone to keep up, & who is not a distraction to myself or other group members. 

I have noticed that many of the delays in play are caddy orientated, often where the golfer is waiting at his/her ball while the caddy dawdles along, or by golfers when it is their turn to putt then asking caddies, which way does it break, up or down hill etc.  There are no caddies at their original home venue, why become reliant (yes! reliant) on caddy info. 

I will qualify my comments with, that I am a 10+ year resident, single figure handicapper, so if some holiday maker wants to tip more, good luck to the caddy, but I don't want to be hearing that Keeniow crap.

I absolutely agree with your point about giving feedback to the caddy (obviously if your not an expat like us who speaks a little Thai then its more difficult). Regarding reading the greens, again I largely agree (altho if you are a holidaymaker playing a course for the first time then caddy advice can be useful eg some of the greens at Banghpara can be lightening quick and have "hidden" undulations). I also agree that having a prolonged debate with the caddy on the green about how the putt might break is a recipe for slow play.

I note your comments about the tip...I have said enough on this matter on previous posts...up to you.

I don't agree with your advice regarding raking out the bunker...why would you do that, let the caddy do their job. On some of the better courses, this will be reported to club management by the any marshals on the course as caddies are instructed to ensure that this is an important part of their role. The same goes for pitch marks that's a caddy task,(altho I am fastidious about repairing them and if the caddy doesn't do it properly then I will instruct them). A bonus of allowing a caddy to do their job in raking the bunker is that it should play a part in combatting everyone's biggest bug-bear - slow play. As the old golfing adage goes, " if you can't be good, be quick"

I don't agree with your advice regarding raking out the bunker...why would you do that, let the caddy do their job. On some of the better courses, this will be reported to club management by the any marshals on the course as caddies are instructed to ensure that this is an important part of their role. The same goes for pitch marks that's a caddy task,(altho I am fastidious about repairing them and if the caddy doesn't do it properly then I will instruct them). A bonus of allowing a caddy to do their job in raking the bunker is that it should play a part in combatting everyone's biggest bug-bear - slow play. As the old golfing adage goes, " if you can't be good, be quick"

I do the bunker because I have seldom seen the caddy do it correctly, if at all.  It, like pitch marks are the golfer's responsibility, may be the caddy's job, but the player's responsibility.  Rest assured, I ensure I am not the cause of any slow play, whether I rake the bunker or not.

Referring to your old adage, can I assume you are quick?

I have my 2 week sojourn to Thailand to play golf, and the caddies are part of the pleasurable experience, hopefully.
With the reading of the greens, the grass is so different from UK, grains etc, that having a caddy that can tell me 1 ball/half putter, left or right, downhill or uphill is a great advantage, the rest is up to me. If she cant do it properly, not a problem, I have been a low single figure handicapper for most of my life, I adapt and soon get my head round it.
With regards to the other stuff, raking bunkers, repairing pitchmarks and divots, marking ball on green and cleaning ball and clubs etc, that's there job and if they are not doing it I will tell them too.

I think a few more of the clubs should have an easier way of giving feedback about caddies, Mountain Shadow has boxes near the caddy masters hut, where you grade your caddy by posting a numbered disc I think, in one of the boxes marked up in 3 or 4 levels up to excellent.

I play a lot of my Thai golf with friends who live in Thailand or spend a large amount of their time there and are in some cases club members also. And one thing I have noted, and no disrespect to anybody on here, is that they tend to treat the caddies as a bind, They don't take buggies and I get the feeling that they would not have caddies either, where it not enforced upon them. Now these are really nice guys but I think that they subconsciously resent having to have a caddy, which creates the two sides of the spectrum, the holiday golfer and the expat golfer.

If I were an Expat living in LOS, I think time and familiarity may bring me round to that way of thinking, if you play golf 2 or 3 times a week it becomes an extra expense that eats in to a budget.

10 days and counting. :Flying:   

I do the bunker because I have seldom seen the caddy do it correctly, if at all.  It, like pitch marks are the golfer's responsibility, may be the caddy's job, but the player's responsibility.  Rest assured, I ensure I am not the cause of any slow play, whether I rake the bunker or not.

Referring to your old adage, can I assume you are quick?

Raking your own bunker - why not try telling the caddy how to do it?...its hardly the most technically difficult of skills to grasp (to use another old adage - delegation is the essence of leadership). I am sure you are not the source of slow play, but if everybody raked their own bunker (esp in Patts in high season) then it would contribute to slow play.

Regarding the original old adage, I would never be presumptuous enough to say that I am "good"...I leave that for others to judge :GoldenSmile1:

I have my 2 week sojourn to Thailand to play golf, and the caddies are part of the pleasurable experience, hopefully.

With the reading of the greens, the grass is so different from UK, grains etc, that having a caddy that can tell me 1 ball/half putter, left or right, downhill or uphill is a great advantage, the rest is up to me. If she cant do it properly, not a problem, I have been a low single figure handicapper for most of my life, I adapt and soon get my head round it.

With regards to the other stuff, raking bunkers, repairing pitchmarks and divots, marking ball on green and cleaning ball and clubs etc, that's there job and if they are not doing it I will tell them too.

I think a few more of the clubs should have an easier way of giving feedback about caddies, Mountain Shadow has boxes near the caddy masters hut, where you grade your caddy by posting a numbered disc I think, in one of the boxes marked up in 3 or 4 levels up to excellent.

I play a lot of my Thai golf with friends who live in Thailand or spend a large amount of their time there and are in some cases club members also. And one thing I have noted, and no disrespect to anybody on here, is that they tend to treat the caddies as a bind, They don't take buggies and I get the feeling that they would not have caddies either, where it not enforced upon them. Now these are really nice guys but I think that they subconsciously resent having to have a caddy, which creates the two sides of the spectrum, the holiday golfer and the expat golfer.

If I were an Expat living in LOS, I think time and familiarity may bring me round to that way of thinking, if you play golf 2 or 3 times a week it becomes an extra expense that eats in to a budget.

10 days and counting. :Flying:   

Excellent post - well balanced and insightful :ThumbUp6:

Good post,very fair all round.

If my caddie doesn't rake the bunker then I do it myself,you would think a caddy would take the hint but they don't.

Caddie's should have some sort of idea of what goes on, on a golf course before starting the job.

Regarding the comment someone made of caddie's being bind,they are.I'd much rather go without.

Again we are seeing both ends of the spectrum,ex-pat/tourist.When I first arrived in Thailand the caddy was a great novelty but not any more...bless 'em.

Raking your own bunker - why not try telling the caddy how to do it?...its hardly the most technically difficult of skills to grasp (to use another old adage - delegation is the essence of leadership). I am sure you are not the source of slow play, but if everybody raked their own bunker (esp in Patts in high season) then it would contribute to slow play.

Regarding the original old adage, I would never be presumptuous enough to say that I am "good"...I leave that for others to judge :GoldenSmile1:

I am sorry, but I DISagree, if everybody raked their own bunker it would probably speed up play.  I started golf at around 30 y/o & was taught that you walk into the bunker with the rake, at the nearest access point to your ball.  Hit your shot then walk out the same way raking as you go, done & dusted. 

If for example it is a greenside bunker, the caddy rakes, you wait for your putter, and/or putting instructions. 

Also if a caddy (or pretty much any Thai) does not do a job correctly & you instruct her/him, on many occasions the eyes are rolling with dis-interest. 

If I had the choice I would NOT take a caddy, while some are good company, they perform no golfing task I could not do faster & better.  The occasions when you get a poorly motivated caddy, it is worse than no caddy by the length of the Flemington straight! 

Yes, I enjoy walking the course, only taking a buggy when compulsory & it is seldom that when the group is playing "ready golf" I am not first on the Tee.

On those occasions when a holiday golfing Romeo is in the group, often they are more intent on romancing (in their own mind) the caddy & golf is the distraction for them, to the detriment of other group members.

If my caddie doesn't rake the bunker then I do it myself,you would think a caddy would take the hint but they don't.

Caddie's should have some sort of idea of what goes on, on a golf course before starting the job.

Regarding the comment someone made of caddie's being bind,they are.I'd much rather go without.

Again we are seeing both ends of the spectrum,ex-pat/tourist.When I first arrived in Thailand the caddy was a great novelty but not any more...bless 'em.

Agree re your point about the caddies...for the holidaymaker they are terrific but I agree for an ex-pats like ourselves then much of the time I would prefer to play without. However, their country their rules.

Disagree re raking the bunker yourself...just tell the caddy that it needs to be done, trust me they will get the message.

I am sorry, but I DISagree, if everybody raked their own bunker it would probably speed up play.  I started golf at around 30 y/o & was taught that you walk into the bunker with the rake, at the nearest access point to your ball.  Hit your shot then walk out the same way raking as you go, done & dusted. 

If for example it is a greenside bunker, the caddy rakes, you wait for your putter, and/or putting instructions. 

Also if a caddy (or pretty much any Thai) does not do a job correctly & you instruct her/him, on many occasions the eyes are rolling with dis-interest. 

If I had the choice I would NOT take a caddy, while some are good company, they perform no golfing task I could not do faster & better.  The occasions when you get a poorly motivated caddy, it is worse than no caddy by the length of the Flemington straight! 

Yes, I enjoy walking the course, only taking a buggy when compulsory & it is seldom that when the group is playing "ready golf" I am not first on the Tee.

On those occasions when a holiday golfing Romeo is in the group, often they are more intent on romancing (in their own mind) the caddy & golf is the distraction for them, to the detriment of other group members.

I have spent 20 + years in leadership positions including that of MD, so giving direction to staff and others comes as second nature. I have worked all over the world including with Thais - if I give an employee (or their agent, in this case the caddy) a reasonable instruction then I expect to it to be carried out. If it is not, the first step is to ensure they have had adequate training (in this case, "here is a rake, use it like so"),....what I would never do is to say to the employee or caddy, "oh well never mind I will do it myself".

A couple of thoughts.

Yes we are all taught to rake bunkers early in our golf careers, but you are being forced to pay for someone to do it for you, make them do it, If not you may as well give her 2/300baht on the 1st tee and tell her to go home.

If it is a greenside bunker, play your shot walk out, hand over your club, take your putter and proceed to the green.

There is then no need to wait for any putting instructions

The speed of play is a strange one, you are often guided by the worst golfer in a group or on a course that day, you can run round a golf course, but if you hit the ball 110 times it will still be a slow for someone who only hits it 80 times.

I have spent 20 + years in leadership positions including that of MD, so giving direction to staff and others comes as second nature. I have worked all over the world including with Thais - if I give an employee (or their agent, in this case the caddy) a reasonable instruction then I expect to it to be carried out. If it is not, the first step is to ensure they have had adequate training (in this case, "here is a rake, use it like so"),....what I would never do is to say to the employee or caddy, "oh well never mind I will do it myself".

Bully for you with those 20+ years !!  Being bossy & right all the time comes as second nature, how presumptious of you !!

NOwhere did I say "oh well never mind I will do it myself", I consider it MY responsibility & as a golfer I expect the bunkers to be in good, or at least 1/2 decent condition.  While on numerous occasions I have found my ball in a bad lie because a bunker was left, or done poorly, I will not fall into the trap (pardon the pun) of walking off expecting it to be done properly.  AND as I said I also think it is more time efficient to do it myself. 

They may well have been your footprints my ball came to rest in, but I can assure you that someone else, maybe you, did not have to bemoan coming to rest in my footprint.

I have lost count of the number of golf players complaining of poor bunker condition, many times just after they have walked away from the bunker after their shot, leaving the caddy to do whatever !!

Hi bossofzip - I was only endeavouring to illustrate that opting to do the caddies job for them is hardly the answer...however in LOS as we all know its "up to you"

ps it is possible to show leadership in all aspects of life without coming across as bossy :GoldenSmile1:

Hi bossofzip - I was only endeavouring to illustrate that opting to do the caddies job for them is hardly the answer...however in LOS as we all know its "up to you"

ps it is possible to show leadership in all aspects of life without coming across as bossy :GoldenSmile1:

PM sent.

I remember you are so good at those PMs  :Clap9:

:LOL1:

Better than you are at raking a bunker.

Still up for that beer?

I will save the trouble.

Didnt think so.

A Personal Message is just that....personal :GoldenSmile1:

I know.

A bit dramatic and attention seeking to advertise it on the open forum though.

"Look at me"

I know.

A bit dramatic and attention seeking to advertise it on the open forum though.

"Look at me"

One thing I am sure that we can all agree on is that playing golf in LOS really  is a big part of "living the dream".

To have the luxury of time to argue the toss over caddy fees and bunker raking makes me realise just how much my life has changed (for the better) over the last 2 years. Breaking free of decades of being a "worker ant", with the long hours, pressure and endless (often pointless) meetings, I absolutely love retirement in LOS. I play 4 times a week and try and get at least one session on the range...happy days :GoldenSmile1:

One thing I am sure that we can all agree on is that playing golf in LOS really  is a big part of "living the dream".

To have the luxury of time to argue the toss over caddy fees and bunker raking makes me realise just how much my life has changed (for the better) over the last 2 years. Breaking free of decades of being a "worker ant", with the long hours, pressure and endless (often pointless) meetings, I absolutely love retirement in LOS. I play 4 times a week and try and get at least one session on the range...happy days :GoldenSmile1:

:ThumbUp6::24: :24: :24:

I've (almost) always enjoyed the banter with the caddies. On most of the courses I've got a favourite I usually ask for by number. In general they are pretty good with the yardages and greens. Raking bunkers and repairing pitch-marks can be a bit hit and miss, but if pointed out they usually don't make the same mistake again.

Get a decent caddie (with a low number) and the whole round will be much more enjoyable, provided of course you don't get stuck behind a 5-ball of Koreans - they won't let you through no matter what.

One note, if you do send a ball heading towards a water hazard and the caddie says "50-50" drop another. It's in the water....

Luckily I've not come across too many snakes, but I did spot the fellow in the picture at Pattana in August.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/102438274@N02/9834516186/

If your games does need some work, try the TRP Golf Academy. They are on the top floor of the GreenWays driving range on Sukhumvit road, opposite Underwater world.

All the latest gizmos and gadgets and a couple of very helpful guys running it. Decent hitting mats as well.

Star turn is the ball collector - you'll know what I mean when you see him...

Apter - useful info mate thanks. Regarding 50/50 I know exactly  what you mean, if the caddy says "haa seep haa seep", then it is 100% in the bunker/water/OB :LMFAO:

Archived