Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Golf Beginner

baklazan

First couple of times I didn't get the 50-50 thing and I was actually thinking I'd have a shot left. Soon found out that 50-50 is Thai caddie code for "slap bang in the middle of what I told you to avoid".

Another favourite is "OB left, water right, easy hole".

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First couple of times I didn't get the 50-50 thing and I was actually thinking I'd have a shot left. Soon found out that 50-50 is Thai caddie code for "slap bang in the middle of what I told you the avoid".

Another favourite is "OB left, water right, easy hole".

Yes,love that one too.lol.

I know.

A bit dramatic and attention seeking to advertise it on the open forum though.

"Look at me"

Who me?

Interesting thread guys and some good points. I personally, and I speak for my mates who travel with me, absolutely love the golf experience in Thailand (Pattaya).....and a big part of that experience is the caddies. True, we've had a few ordinary ones, but most of the time we have an awesome day out. We let the caddies know from the start that we're not serious, just out for a good time. This puts them  completely at ease and they all seem to relax and the big smiles start coming. We have many regulars and obviously they really appreciate being booked rather than wait in the queue. Our favourites all know the game and when we tell them we're playing 2 against 2 they get into it, slagging and sledging the opposition more than us. Makes for a fun day which is why we're out there. I have had 2 caddies knit me covers for my putter and one of them has gone all the way and I now have an amazing set of knitted covers for my 3 hybrids and my driver. The work gone into these is awesome.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth, I would not dream of trying to play without a caddie.....they're all trying to eke out a living and I have nothing but respect for them....especially those poor girls who don't get a golfer with a cart and have to walk, dragging a massive bag on a piss weak little trolley.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

Interesting thread guys and some good points. I personally, and I speak for my mates who travel with me, absolutely love the golf experience in Thailand (Pattaya).....and a big part of that experience is the caddies. True, we've had a few ordinary ones, but most of the time we have an awesome day out. We let the caddies know from the start that we're not serious, just out for a good time. This puts them  completely at ease and they all seem to relax and the big smiles start coming. We have many regulars and obviously they really appreciate being booked rather than wait in the queue. Our favourites all know the game and when we tell them we're playing 2 against 2 they get into it, slagging and sledging the opposition more than us. Makes for a fun day which is why we're out there. I have had 2 caddies knit me covers for my putter and one of them has gone all the way and I now have an amazing set of knitted covers for my 3 hybrids and my driver. The work gone into these is awesome.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth, I would not dream of trying to play without a caddie.....they're all trying to eke out a living and I have nothing but respect for them....especially those poor girls who don't get a golfer with a cart and have to walk, dragging a massive bag on a piss weak little trolley.

As always buddy a good contribution...lets play and have a beer next time we are both in town :ThumbUp6:

As always buddy a good contribution...lets play and have a beer next time we are both in town :ThumbUp6:

Top idea mate, looking forward to it. When I'm getting close to my next trip I'll let you know. Maybe you can teach me some Thai.....sometimes I try to show off in front of my TGF and she just gives me a look like I'm stupid :SoWhat1:

Top idea mate, looking forward to it. When I'm getting close to my next trip I'll let you know. Maybe you can teach me some Thai.....sometimes I try to show off in front of my TGF and she just gives me a look like I'm stupid :SoWhat1:

Look forward to your next visit...re learning the lingo...maybe better ask BM Boy Darkside...he speaks it well!

Different strokes for different folks & maybe that has more to do with the holiday experience, as opposed to being a full timer.  Naturally, caddies prefer riding in a cart to "dragging a massive bag on a piss weak little trolley", but let's not forget that some golfers enjoy the walking, let alone the financial side of the deal.  I can tell you, from personal experience, there is not a lot worse (golfing wise) than being the only walker in a group, with an unfamiliar caddy.  The word resentful comes to mind!! 

I avoid the cart compulsory courses, except on special occasions, whereas holiday makers, like yourself, it would not be a consideration and good luck to you for that.  I would ask though, when home do you cart or drag that massive bag?

My personal preference is to walk....unless it is incredibly hot. The main reason is from a health perspective (fights the flab a bit)...but there is also the financial aspect too. Up here in Issan most courses are walking only which suits me.

Back homein the UK  I carry my clubs for the full 18 (no trolley or buggy required)

My personal preference is to walk....unless it is incredibly hot. The main reason is from a health perspective (fights the flab a bit)...but there is also the financial aspect too. Up here in Issan most courses are walking only which suits me.

Back homein the UK  I carry my clubs for the full 18 (no trolley or buggy required)

Before I came here, I used to carry my clubs in a stand bag.  I had a really good Tour bag & buggy, which I used occasionally, but preferred to carry. 

Issan where do you play?  I once rode my motorbike to Surin with 1/2 my clubs & played the Army course.  Left at 6:00am. arrived 2:00pm, teed off 2:10pm, broke my 8 iron 2nd shot on the 1st hole, so had a gap from 6 iron to PW.  Finished the round, had a shower in a room off the canteen, (no clubhouse really), went & found a hotel near Pratap.  Left in the morning & rode home to Pattaya.  Not the worst course I have played, I enjoyed it a lot, I think from memory, green fee & caddy fee was 270Baht, a few years ago now.

Surely a 300Baht tip is well over the odds in Issan, when farm workers are busting their butts all day in the blazing sun for generally less than that.

Different strokes for different folks & maybe that has more to do with the holiday experience, as opposed to being a full timer.  Naturally, caddies prefer riding in a cart to "dragging a massive bag on a piss weak little trolley", but let's not forget that some golfers enjoy the walking, let alone the financial side of the deal.  I can tell you, from personal experience, there is not a lot worse (golfing wise) than being the only walker in a group, with an unfamiliar caddy.  The word resentful comes to mind!! 

I avoid the cart compulsory courses, except on special occasions, whereas holiday makers, like yourself, it would not be a consideration and good luck to you for that.  I would ask though, when home do you cart or drag that massive bag?

I play twice a week when home, I walk and I have a reasonably big bag on a buggy (trolley) . My home course is a difficult walk, undulating and soft kikuyu grass so you know when you've walked 18 holes. I feel sorry for the caddies who have to walk because the trollies provided are just the basic frame and 2 wheels. I know from 1st hand experience these are not easy to pull/push. Yes, agree , walking is good for your health , but for 2 weeks a couple of times a year while in Thailand me and my mates spend that extra ridiculous amount of about AUD$20  for a cart. This also has the added benefit of being fresher for the evenings activities.

I play the courses around Udon - Tahan (army), Tahan nak bien (airforce), SriThani Forest...all 9 holes and of variable quality. There are a couple of decent 18 hole courses Victory Park in Nong Khai and  Singha in Khon Khen.

Apart from the missus :Grin3: , the thing I like about here are the costs. Using sports days - I play 2x9 holes and 2x18 holes + driving range per week, total cost (including caddy tip of 100THB per9 holes) is between 6 and 8,000THB pm

Impressed by you lugging the clubs all that way on your bike...that's the golf bug, you have got it bad.

I play the courses around Udon - Tahan (army), Tahan nak bien (airforce), SriThani Forest...all 9 holes and of variable quality. There are a couple of decent 18 hole courses Victory Park in Nong Khai and  Singha in Khon Khen.

Apart from the missus :Grin3: , the thing I like about here are the costs. Using sports days - I play 2x9 holes and 2x18 holes + driving range per week, total cost (including caddy tip of 100THB per9 holes) is between 6 and 8,000THB pm

Impressed by you lugging the clubs all that way on your bike...that's the golf bug, you have got it bad.

ahhh...the benefits of living there Winna....I am green with envy. As a comparison our 10 games cost us about 19000 baht inclusive of golf+cart+caddie+taxi hotel-golf-hotel. Does not include tip for caddie or all the food and drink they manage to coax out of us. Probably works out at 2300 baht per game, which is about half what we would pay in Australia with no cute caddie sitting in the cart.

ahhh...the benefits of living there Winna....I am green with envy. As a comparison our 10 games cost us about 19000 baht inclusive of golf+cart+caddie+taxi hotel-golf-hotel. Does not include tip for caddie or all the food and drink they manage to coax out of us. Probably works out at 2300 baht per game, which is about half what we would pay in Australia with no cute caddie sitting in the cart.

Hi Farcanal,

Just out of interest, have you booked your 10 game package through a company, Thaigerline, etc, done it through the bars or arranged yourself?

Just been quoted 21,300 for an 8 game package, not inc buggies at 4 of the courses, so probably round up to 22500. I know the deals get cheaper with more golfers and to be fair I have picked what I think are 8 of the top 10 courses, Be interested to compare.

HM.  

Hi Farcanal,

Just out of interest, have you booked your 10 game package through a company, Thaigerline, etc, done it through the bars or arranged yourself?

Just been quoted 21,300 for an 8 game package, not inc buggies at 4 of the courses, so probably round up to 22500. I know the deals get cheaper with more golfers and to be fair I have picked what I think are 8 of the top 10 courses, Be interested to compare.

HM.  

They saw you coming !! 

plus 4 extra buggy costs is going to set you back more than 1200 Baht !!,  average 600 Baht per game = 2400,

you can count on some of the courses being compulsory buggy.

Plus, then you are locked in to golfing those days, what happens if you get crook, tired or otherwise involved ??  You have done your dough !!

Post where you are staying & some helpful BM will give you directions to a close by golf bar or 2, then take it from there re schedules, venues etc.

Chok Dee Krup

They saw you coming !! 

plus 4 extra buggy costs is going to set you back more than 1200 Baht !!,  average 600 Baht per game = 2400,

you can count on some of the courses being compulsory buggy.

Plus, then you are locked in to golfing those days, what happens if you get crook, tired or otherwise involved ??  You have done your dough !!

Post where you are staying & some helpful BM will give you directions to a close by golf bar or 2, then take it from there re schedules, venues etc.

Chok Dee Krup

Appreciate the feedback and, Yep, I know what you are saying and believe it or not have played golf in LOS, every year for the last 12. 

4 extra buggys at 600 per buggy are, I think, all at courses where sharing is allowed, hence 300 baht. I do stand to be corrected because I cant remember, Pattana, Bangpra, Phoenix, and Greenwood (never played it)

The 4 buggys included are at the compulsory courses, Siam CC, Siam Plantation, Burapha and Laem Chabang, With these courses, you see where some of the the extra cost comes into it, also asked to avoid LC on a sports day, Don't want 5+hrs and 2/3 groups on every tee.

The company we have dealt with previously and probably will deal with this year have not in the past charged us for anyone missing a days golf. 

The golf averages out at about 2800 per round, there are 7/8 of us, mini bus pick up from hotel foyer straight to course, on tee within 1/2 hour, hopefully round in less than 4hrs, drink small bit to eat and back to hotel by 3 o'clock ish, chill out round pool, Soi 6, whatever.

Played golf with Caddy Shack and Travellers Rest last year, don't have our own transport, so the logistics of just getting to and from even the most local of bars with clubs and sports bags becomes a burden. Then it becomes a long day with waiting around and all, then back to bar for 5-6 o'clock, transport back to hotel.

Example, TRGC, Phoenix, well run group, meet at Ned Kelly bar 8-8.30 transports leave 9.30 tee off from 10.30 last tee 11.30.

last group finishes 3.30 if your lucky, bus pick up about 4, back to bar for presentation, etc finish at 6, back to hotel.

I may be a few baht out, but 250 organising and comp, 50 for 2s comp, 250 for transport, 1100 green fee, 600 buggy.  2250, plus 100 for songtauw to bar, 100 back. Total 2450. Soon tots up. If you are a local you can avoid some of this I know, and if we were a smaller group this is the way we would go. 3 of us are actually going to play Emerald on the 30th with Fergus and co. But have a kindly local picking us up and taking us there, then a quicky in Ban Chang on way back.

When we go on our first days golf, we don't actually need to touch our golf bags until we are dropped off back at the hotel after our last round. Remember, we are on hols, this little touch, plus the extra 2/3 hrs of our own time after each round is IMO worth 500 baht or so.   

We tend to book an a day by day basis, couple of days playing, couple of days off. In a typical 3-week trip we'll get something like 12 rounds in. With transport to/from course, green-fee. caddie, buggy, probably averaging something like 2500 - 2800. The top tracks will come in considerably higher than that of course but most are well worth it.

Laem Chabang has been the big let-down this year. Used to be absolutely immaculate as they prided themselves on being the best course in the area. Since Siam CC took over that accoloade though, it's like Laem Chabang don't care about being number 2 and don't seem to make the effort. Still very good but the shine has worn off.

I've played most of the courses around Pattaya at one time or another and there are some excellent choices. Still not found one to beat my absolute Thailand favourites though, Santiburi in Chiang Rai followed by Black Mountain in Hua Hin.

Hi Farcanal,

HM.  

Hi HM, no, we don't book thru' a company.....we used to use a company called Eastern Golf (or something like that) but every trip we seemed to be paying more and more. Once they even bumped the price up while we were in the taxi going to golf. 

We joined the Pattaya Sports Club and I use their monthly rates schedule to book the golf directly thru' the golf clubs themselves. We try book as many sport days as we can to keep the costs down and we use the same taxi company every day. I will book the 1st week of 2 weeks online before we leave Australia, so that is locked in and we pay each day when we arrive at the golf club. This gives us the option of changing our minds without having to pay. At the end of the 1st week I will sstart calling the clubs for the 2nd week. Very rarely do we miss out on a (preferred) morning round. All inclusive with golf, caddie, cart, taxi and tip averages about 2300 baht.

We are back in our hotel by 2 or 3 pm for a relaxing afternoon/evening. I know some don't like early starts but our taxi pick up times are usually 7.30am.

Hi HM, no, we don't book thru' a company.....we used to use a company called Eastern Golf (or something like that) but every trip we seemed to be paying more and more. Once they even bumped the price up while we were in the taxi going to golf. 

We joined the Pattaya Sports Club and I use their monthly rates schedule to book the golf directly thru' the golf clubs themselves. We try book as many sport days as we can to keep the costs down and we use the same taxi company every day. I will book the 1st week of 2 weeks online before we leave Australia, so that is locked in and we pay each day when we arrive at the golf club. This gives us the option of changing our minds without having to pay. At the end of the 1st week I will sstart calling the clubs for the 2nd week. Very rarely do we miss out on a (preferred) morning round. All inclusive with golf, caddie, cart, taxi and tip averages about 2300 baht.

We are back in our hotel by 2 or 3 pm for a relaxing afternoon/evening. I know some don't like early starts but our taxi pick up times are usually 7.30am.

Cheers for the feedback,

You work to a similar time frame to us, pick ups usually about 8 and back early afternoon. I looked at joining PSC also, but did not get round to it, getting 8 guys to go there and get joined sounds easy, but in reality, not. And a lot of the bars have PSC rates without the need to join PSC.

Just compared our pricing to the PSC rates, 22420 inc caddy fee and buggy, no transport!! Against our quote of 21300 + 4 buggy inc of transport. Not counting the sports days, but these would not make too much difference with our selection of courses.

So in reply to Bossofzip  "they saw you coming"   It does not look so bad to bad to me.

As mentioned before, we have a schedule, and I know where we are playing on what day and teeing off between 9.30 & 10. So we/I do not have to do any organising with phoning clubs etc. English boss is always available on his mobile. Top quality transports all fully insured.

Also as of yet we have not been charged for any golf that we have not played., Another small advantage is that we sometimes eat as a group, out of town, Jomtien beach or go to Ban Chang or any number of other excursions, but one of the mini buses is usually available with a driver to take us. Just convenient.

Enjoy your trip.

Archived