Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Golf Beginner

baklazan

This winter I´m going to Pattaya (again) and this time I want to spent some time on fairways. I´m just about to get my handicap home, so I´m still total golf newbie.

Is there some golf society you could recommend for me arranging trips to courses? I assume it could be annoying for experienced golfers to play with slow playes as I´m.

Or would you reccomend just take a taxi and go to course on my own?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try Le Katai on Soi Lenkee.

They organize social golf 5 days each week.

Good value for social golf no competitions.

Bear

When will you be there, am i am bring the clubs in october, looking for bar mates to golfing with.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am just starting on the golf thing, like you could do with playing with high handicappers, i am there from 9/12 till 22/12 if you fancy a round

My background....I have played golf for nearly 20 years,,,I was a mid handi-capper (16),,,then 4 years ago my game 'went south' and I stopped playing. Recently I have regained interest in the game, so I am going to the driving range everyday and play once a week,,I still suck,,,but I made several pars and one birdie my last play,,so all is good.

I first came to Thailand in 2000, for business,,I really didn't know too much about the 'mongering' scene, but I learned quickly. I didn't even know too much about golf in Thailand. On another business trip 2001, I was at my hotel bar after work, several businessmen from the UK, recommended I go to Patttaya, when they found out I played. My next trip I made arrangements for a week of golf in Pattaya. Little did I know, there was more to Pattaya than golf,,,my first trip to Pattaya Novemember 2001,,,it was crazy, wild,,but the one thing I must say,,,Thailand (Chonburi area) has some of the finest courses in all of asia. Now all you need to do is search the internet, all the info is there.

My first recommendation, join the Pattaya Sports Club, the discounts you get will more than pay for membership. They also provide lots of great information, they have a great staff, and most of the members are a great group. There is a list bars that put together 'golf outings' join them, it's fun. If you don't like to gamble, than pick the bars that play for fun. I play out of the Sugar Shack, they play Monday, Wednesday and Friday, they play all the courses around Pattaya.

When you play Thailand, you will need to add a couple of strokes to your handi-cap, especially after a night of 'ladies and drink'. It can get real hot and humind on the course, so I usually bring frozen water bottles and small towel just to keep me cool. Bring your golf umbrella, it does rain. Try to get to the driving range on Third Road, it's a bit run down now, but you will need to get some practice and get adjusted to Thai climate. Major tip,,do not,,run into the bushes or tall grass to get your ball, Thailand has snakes and the ponds have big lizards, be careful,,,some courses have monkey's, some will steal your balls on the fairway. so you will need to 'guest-a-mate' where it lied, then take your shot. All play comes with caddies, some of the older ladies are the best, they are patient and know the course and greens really well.

Anway, have a great time, I really don't have a favorite course, I really like them all. Play Burapha, Green Valley and Eastern Star they are fun and inexpensive. If you haven't played Thailand, be ready for some really pretty courses and good facilites. It really takes you away from the 'muck' that is Pattaya.

Chok dee,

HOKS

I'll be in town 2nd week in October..

Hi Hoksipkau thanks for the tips i land in patts 26/10 am excited to hit the links. looking for some golfing bar mates.

I will be there in December/January

I will be there in Jan and will be a total beginner but we all start from the beginning,hope to see you there

My background....I have played golf for nearly 20 years,,,I was a mid handi-capper (16),,,then 4 years ago my game 'went south' and I stopped playing. Recently I have regained interest in the game, so I am going to the driving range everyday and play once a week,,I still suck,,,but I made several pars and one birdie my last play,,so all is good.

I first came to Thailand in 2000, for business,,I really didn't know too much about the 'mongering' scene, but I learned quickly. I didn't even know too much about golf in Thailand. On another business trip 2001, I was at my hotel bar after work, several businessmen from the UK, recommended I go to Patttaya, when they found out I played. My next trip I made arrangements for a week of golf in Pattaya. Little did I know, there was more to Pattaya than golf,,,my first trip to Pattaya Novemember 2001,,,it was crazy, wild,,but the one thing I must say,,,Thailand (Chonburi area) has some of the finest courses in all of asia. Now all you need to do is search the internet, all the info is there.

My first recommendation, join the Pattaya Sports Club, the discounts you get will more than pay for membership. They also provide lots of great information, they have a great staff, and most of the members are a great group. There is a list bars that put together 'golf outings' join them, it's fun. If you don't like to gamble, than pick the bars that play for fun. I play out of the Sugar Shack, they play Monday, Wednesday and Friday, they play all the courses around Pattaya.

When you play Thailand, you will need to add a couple of strokes to your handi-cap, especially after a night of 'ladies and drink'. It can get real hot and humind on the course, so I usually bring frozen water bottles and small towel just to keep me cool. Bring your golf umbrella, it does rain. Try to get to the driving range on Third Road, it's a bit run down now, but you will need to get some practice and get adjusted to Thai climate. Major tip,,do not,,run into the bushes or tall grass to get your ball, Thailand has snakes and the ponds have big lizards, be careful,,,some courses have monkey's, some will steal your balls on the fairway. so you will need to 'guest-a-mate' where it lied, then take your shot. All play comes with caddies, some of the older ladies are the best, they are patient and know the course and greens really well.

Anway, have a great time, I really don't have a favorite course, I really like them all. Play Burapha, Green Valley and Eastern Star they are fun and inexpensive. If you haven't played Thailand, be ready for some really pretty courses and good facilites. It really takes you away from the 'muck' that is Pattaya.

Chok dee,

HOKS

First class adice buddy

Hi Hoksipkau thanks for the tips i land in patts 26/10 am excited to hit the links. looking for some golfing bar mates.

when I first arrived in Patts I was a bit of a "billy no mates"...Thaigerline Golf in Soi Chiapoom or Le Katai in soi Lenkee are two places that offer daily golf - you can meet lots of other golfers/mongers thru playing with either of these..about 1700 bht per day inc transport (book day before)

• 10 months later...

Newbie to golf too....... Have only played my local 9- hole but am starting to connect ok now, looking for some golf buddies ( newbies or very patient decent players ) when I come out September 18- oct 12 ?

Anyone interested for a meet up and a game ?

Andy

Newbie to golf too....... Have only played my local 9- hole but am starting to connect ok now, looking for some golf buddies ( newbies or very patient decent players ) when I come out September 18- oct 12 ?

Anyone interested for a meet up and a game ?

Andy

If you like the Game I will give you the best bit  of advice you are going to get,take a few Golf lessons,learn how to do things properly first off,dont do like most do no lessons and hit and hope,also do not take advice from high handicappers,these people seem to revel in telling newbies how to play and they havent got  a clue themselves,Lessons are the way to go my friend and I will also guarantee you it will not be long before you are a better Player than those who have played longer than you and have not had Lessons,good luck to you.

My background.....................

When you play Thailand, you will need to add a couple of strokes to your handi-cap, especially after a night of 'ladies and drink'.

Chok dee,

HOKS

First class adice buddy

Hey newbie, you do NOT have the option " to add a couple of strokes to your handi-cap".  That is tantamount to the dreaded C word, (No, not Cunt) that golfers dread. 

The rest of the advice is fair enough, but stick with your club issued handicap, would be my advice, maybe hoksipkau should re-consider his view on that.

• 5 weeks later...

If you like the Game I will give you the best bit  of advice you are going to get,take a few Golf lessons,learn how to do things properly first off,dont do like most do no lessons and hit and hope,also do not take advice from high handicappers,these people seem to revel in telling newbies how to play and they havent got  a clue themselves,Lessons are the way to go my friend and I will also guarantee you it will not be long before you are a better Player than those who have played longer than you and have not had Lessons,good luck to you.

I have had some lessons in london and some from scottish mike in patts so feel am ready to go out on a course,i just would like to play with other learners /beginners as i feel more comfortable.

When will you be there, am i am bring the clubs in october, looking for bar mates to golfing with.

What dates you there in october ?

Would you consider playing with a beginner like me??

when I first arrived in Patts I was a bit of a "billy no mates"...Thaigerline Golf in Soi Chiapoom or Le Katai in soi Lenkee are two places that offer daily golf - you can meet lots of other golfers/mongers thru playing with either of these..about 1700 bht per day inc transport (book day before)

Hi LOTTELLEE does that include clubs to play with :)

Hi LOTTELLEE does that include clubs to play with :)

I will answer that "NO"

A lot of the groups, though will have clubs for hire, not sure of the price. 

Also the 1600/1700 baht price will be the cheaper golf venues and will probably include green fee and the mandatory caddy, some of the bars go to other course and  do not include transport at about 250/300baht or the recommended caddy tip of at least 300baht, Also some clubs have mandatory buggies on top of caddies at 500/600 baht which again at some clubs are restricted to 1 golfer per buggy (no sharing).

Just to prepare you.

Other than that, the courses are excellent, the caddies fun, go out there and enjoy it

Yes, all told it can all add up price wise but the courses are good.  And the caddies!!

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Sooooo............by the time you have brought drinks and lunch etc its gonna cost about 3,500/4,000 baht for a days golf then ?

Sooooo............by the time you have brought drinks and lunch etc its gonna cost about 3,500/4,000 baht for a days golf then ?

Yep,

Rest stops every 3/4 holes. You will def need to keep yourself hydrated = more cost. 

Cheaper courses, you may get away with 2500 baht no buggy, but 3/4000 with buggy.

Even the cheaper course are better than most will play in the UK. A standard green fee at a fair golf course with buggy in UK is going to set you back the equivalent of 2/2500 baht. So in comparison it is cheaper, and definitely cheaper than Spain or the Algarve.

If you are a goona with a season ticket, you can definitely afford it. :GoldenSmile1:

Have 2 season tickets which is why I am struggling to pay for the golf in Patts !!!!!

But all said and done where would you rather be playing your golf ...........

Have 2 season tickets which is why I am struggling to pay for the golf in Patts !!!!!

But all said and done where would you rather be playing your golf ...........

3 weeks and I will be.  444444444444444444444444444444

3 weeks and I will be.  444444444444444444444444444444

Which courses do you play and where would you reccomend a beginner such as me self play ?

Have played nearly all the courses over the years, although playing a new one for me, "Bangkapong" on the 30th.

You can look at it 2 ways,

Do you want to go out to play to enjoy and get better, hence gain confidence?

Or do you want to play the more prestigious courses that are generally designed and set up for Pro golf, where your enjoyment may be tainted with spending a lot of time looking for balls and as much time adding up your scores.

Depends which way you lean.

I would recommend starting at the cheaper options 1st, to get into the swing of things, Navy Course "Plutoluang", Emerald, Phoenix and then if your into it go for something like Burapha, nearer the end of your trip. A 36 hole resort type course, always in good condition, plenty of open spaces and really enjoyable to play.

The more prestigious courses are both the Siams, and Laem Chabang maybe St Andrews2000. With these come the bigger prices.

The ones I enjoy most are Bangpra, Siam Country Club and Plantation, Pattana, Mountain Shadow and Burapha, would include Laem Chabang in that but I don't recall ever getting round there in less than 5hrs.

Not played from this bar yet, but plan to this coming trip. Links below to bar and there golf schedule for September.

http://www.i-rovers.com/

http://www.i-rovers.com/golf/

Archived