Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Is credit card accepted at gogo bars? and safe?

Xfreak0000

ATMs can be found everywhere in Pattaya.

Don't use credit card in gogo. Pay cash :NoNo3:

:Number1a:

I totally agree man no cash no gash so they say I only take my VISA Debit card

but i leave that shyt in the safe along with passport i only bring bank notes and

cash them in on the street its safe as fuck. I've neva had a problem with it (not

too sure how PI is but thailand is defiantly safe),

Credit card in a Go Go you must be a Wally. :Oops1:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brewster

• GorGuy RIP

• chivas

• huber

I've neva had a problem with it (not

too sure how PI is but thailand is defiantly safe),

It's safe. But yeah, just carry cash around how much you think you would need (max. few grands for a nightout usually does it). At least won't lose much if fore some reason you get robbed.

It's obvious better to carry cash with you when on a night out in LOS, but the OP asked if credit cards were accepted in gogos and whether using one would be safe. Well in my experience the answer to both questions is "yes", although admittedly I've only used one in BKK gogos (where I live). If you don't have the cash, and you've run up a largish check-bin, a credit card is probably the answer!

It's obvious better to carry cash with you when on a night out in LOS, but the OP asked if credit cards were accepted in gogos and whether using one would be safe. Well in my experience the answer to both questions is "yes", although admittedly I've only used one in BKK gogos (where I live). If you don't have the cash, and you've run up a largish check-bin, a credit card is probably the answer!

Yes there is truth in what you say but my daddy always said dont go out if you cant

afford it son. but then again you could of been having the best time that night

and got carried away hey it happens to the best of us doesnt it.

BTW what does LOS mean <--im still a N00bie

Yes there is truth in what you say but my daddy always said dont go out if you cant

LOS = Land of Smiles :Welcome:

Hello?

I have been to Thailand many times, but always paid by cash.

This time my friend needs to use his credit card for some reasons so I wonder is it generally accepted and safe?

Chances are that your mate will be the first ever guy to sponser a whole bar and he will not even know it :GoldenSmile1:

Devil's advocate question: has anyone any direct knowledge of a card being cloned after being used in a bar?

My card has been abused twice in LOS: once at a Japanese restaurant (since closed), once after an on-line transaction with a domestic airline. In the former case, the restaurant ran up a few small-ish debits - apparently standard modus operandi before whacking in a mega-debit. In the latter, the first I knew of it was when the issuing bank called to ask if I was in Australia buying a lot of expensive electronics and computer equipment.

Very rarely use a card these days for anything except cash withdrawals from ATMs inside banks rather than on the street.

My only time I used a CC in LOS was a planned buy of a 32 inch flat screen TV for my condo, as it came with a 19" old crt TV. Went to Tesco/Lotus and shopped around a bit. Got one on sale for 10,900 B and used a card that I brought "just in case" .

( If you do bring one, call bank with travel days before you leave home, or the first time you try to use it the bank will freeze it)

End of the story is smooth transaction. Just like using a card at home.

Oh, not quite end of story got home and got my bill with a late fee, seems I did not pay my bill on time WTF >>>>>>>>>>>I was in Thailand !!!!

Called bank, got late fee credited back.

All that said SEA HAS THE HIGHEST CC CLONING IN THE WORLD.

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

My only time I used a CC in LOS was a planned buy of a 32 inch flat screen TV for my condo, as it came with a 19" old crt TV. Went to Tesco/Lotus and shopped around a bit. Got one on sale for 10,900 B and used a card that I brought "just in case" .

( If you do bring one, call bank with travel days before you leave home, or the first time you try to use it the bank will freeze it)

End of the story is smooth transaction. Just like using a card at home.

Oh, not quite end of story got home and got my bill with a late fee, seems I did not pay my bill on time WTF >>>>>>>>>>>I was in Thailand !!!!

Called bank, got late fee credited back.

All that said SEA HAS THE HIGHEST CC CLONING IN THE WORLD.

I've lived in BKK for 6 years and regularly use both UK and Thai credit cards, mainly when I stay at the Pattaya Bay Resort and for department store purchases, domestic flights, furniture and large supermarket shopping. Less regularly, I use them in some restaurants and occasionally if I've run up a big bill, in gogos. I see no greater risk using them here than I did when I lived in the UK or in other SEA countries. But maybe I've just been lucky.

Devil's advocate question: has anyone any direct knowledge of a card being cloned after being used in a bar?

Not in a bar, but in a well respected, major computing shop in Bangkok, in a major shopping center, my card got cloned.

In a bar or go go, if they did take my card, I would expect either bill padding or cloning. Not something I would do.

So experience = do not trust even a large shop.

Instinct = nah, do not use it in a bar or a go go in Thailand.

Sometimes it's a matter of convenience, not whether you can afford it. I've been using my credit card in TQ as long as I can remember, about 16 years, with no problems. Sometimes I'm too lazy to go to an ATM.

Edited by bangsaenguy

Make sure you inform your bank and credit card company where you are going and for how long or you may find your cards blocked after just one use.

Try not to use internet shops over there to check your accounts to see if your cards have been cloned or not.Quite easy for dodgy staff to have password collecting programmes running on public PCs in LOS or anywhere in the world if it comes to that!

Some mongers will have bad stories of credit/debit card use,others no problems at all.

i only use cash when going to bars and go go bars, i will use my CC at resturants and shopping malls. also as the about said i call before i get to LOS and tell my CC company that i will be using my card in thailand from this date to this date and most of the time no problem, although i have been cut off before and had to call them again, i do same same with my ATM. also any other county i travel in for a period of time i also give them that country to save problems,,

Would never even be a consideration for me...it's just not worth the chance...cash is king....bb....

• 1 month later...

Nationwide told me if I withdraw say £10 from my home airport

(e.g. heathrow) no need to inform them - the system with 'know' I'm travelling.

• 3 weeks later...

not only its not recommended to use a credit card almost anywhere in Thailand (expect for a really know businesses) i also recommend not carrying it on you but keep it in the hotel safe. also dont carry to much cash on you during your trips outside the hotel, take a reasonable amount so if something happens you wont loose to much. me? i only bring travelers check - the safest way to carry money on a trip, its insured and you can change it to bhat everywhere.

not only its not recommended to use a credit card almost anywhere in Thailand (expect for a really know businesses) i also recommend not carrying it on you but keep it in the hotel safe. also dont carry to much cash on you during your trips outside the hotel, take a reasonable amount so if something happens you wont loose to much. me? i only bring travelers check - the safest way to carry money on a trip, its insured and you can change it to bhat everywhere.

I think you're being way over cautious. I live in Thailand and regularly use my UK and Thai credit cards in shops, cinemas, restaurants, hospitals, hotels, for air tickets and car rental, and occasionally in bars (like Titanium on soi 22) and gogos (Baccara on soi Cowboy knows my card well!). Thailand is no worse for credit card fraud than anywhere else.

Obviously if you're a tourist, cash and traveller's cheques are good options, but credit cards are very convenient and in the event of fraud you are usually protected.

brewster - as i stated "expect for a really know businesses" and cinemas, restaurants, hospitals, hotels etc fall under this category. i also used my credit card to buy an air ticket and in some hotels. but to use it an a bar or an agogo is only wise if your local like yourself and know which one is reliable. most of us, aka tourist dont have this luxury.

i alleyways say better safe then sorry. the best way to resolve a problem is to prevent it in the first place.

brewster - as i stated "expect for a really know businesses" and cinemas, restaurants, hospitals, hotels etc fall under this category. i also used my credit card to buy an air ticket and in some hotels. but to use it an a bar or an agogo is only wise if your local like yourself and know which one is reliable. most of us, aka tourist dont have this luxury.

i alleyways say better safe then sorry. the best way to resolve a problem is to prevent it in the first place.

Got it. I agree and I have only used mine in bars/gogos which I use regularly.

Knocking on wood... I've just come across this topic in hopes of finding GoGos that use credit cards. I have used my credit card to pay large bills at several GoGos/Bars in Pattaya without issue. I've used it at TQ1, Secrets, FLB Bar, and most recently Barzia and of course Devils Den. I might've also used it X-zone. So far no issues. Just keep the reciept, check online everyday my accounts to make sure nothing extra was added.

I've been coming to Pattaya many times over 3 years no and rarely use my credit cards (only as insurance). However, I am stuck this time since my ATM card expired and I did not realize till I tried to use it when I arrived in Thailand. I've had enough cash in various foreign currencies to keep me going but the use of the credit card has allowed me to still have fun.

So people use credit cards for a number of reasons, so if u can, please list the GoGos/Adult entertainment estlablishments that do accept credit cards for people who do choose to use credit cards.

I can tell you so far I've come across Beach Club that does not allow credit cards and Hollywood.

Edited by BMOC

Hello?

I have been to Thailand many times, but always paid by cash.

This time my friend needs to use his credit card for some reasons so I wonder is it generally accepted and safe?

IMO that will be a very crazy option.If you get short with your money at night,

you can everywhere use a ATM.Much better than take with you and pay in a

GO GO at party time.Cheers mate.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

• 3 weeks later...

credit cards should be widely accepted in most places unless you happen to be in the shady places. but personally, i won't use it unless i've read on PA or know that it's a trusted place (like DD that i've read on temujin's TR)

LOS!

Do not use your credit card in Pattaya, I dont even use it at the hotels. The only place I've used credit cards have been Bumrungrad Hospital and the Marriot...period! & I sweated using them there