IGNORED

Le Katai ( The Rabit ) English Grub

cartoonman

LE KATAI - The name seems to put you off as it seems French but give the place a try,, It`s 4 units wide and very spacious. - It`s owned by an English Guy.

They have their daily SPECIALS which are - All at 129 Baht

( Sunday - Roast Pork )

( Monday - Chicken )

( Tuesday - Rib Eye Steak )

( Wednesday - Pie and Mash )

( Thursday - Sirloin Steak )

( Friday - Fish and Chips )

( Saturday - Pork Chop )

And One of the Best Breakfast in Town

You also get a Full Menu + English Daily Newspapers +An Arty Pot of Tea - 40 Baht + Good Service .

It`s in Soi Lankee Opposite the Opey Place ( hotel ) and it`s 3 doors down from the JOLLY FRIAR.

If you still don't know where it is it`s NUMBER 60 on the RESTAURANT HOPPING MAP.

Check it out - you will be surprised.

SMALL Restaurant MAP Jan 2011.JPG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.............. 3 doors down from the JOLLY FRIAR.

Which isn't there? :GoldenSmile1:

My Thai wife pronounces the Thai word for rabbit (กระต่าย) as “kr’taai”.

I find the English obsession for the French word “le” a little bit strange.

It is the masculine definite article, whereas the feminine definite article is “la” (both “l’” before a vowel) and the plural “les” is used for both grammatical genders.

Moreover “à le” is mandatorily contracted to “au”, “de le” to “du”, “à les” to “aux” and “de les” to “des”; “des” is also the indefinite article in plural (nothing in most other languages).

Sometimes you see strange combinations such as Le Kitchen (French for “the kitchen” is “la cuisine”).

As to Le Kitchen in hotel LK Renaissance (number 62 in your map), it is not expensive, but only half of their menu seems to be available and they close at 10 p.m., so you are not really welcome after 9 p.m.

In Soi Post Office there is a, I guess Thai managed, restaurant with the strange name “Le Mignon” (something like “The Loverboy”).

There is a long bar downstairs and the restaurant appears to be upstairs and it always seems to be empty.

But it always reminds me of a poem in old French by Pierre de RONSARD (1524-1585), that we had to learn by heart some 50 years ago:

“Mignonne, allons voir si la rose

Qui ce matin avoit disclose (in modern French “avait déclose”)

Sa robe de pourpre au Soleil, ... ”

Notice the female form “Mignonne”.

BTW it is not “Et Toro” (number 31) but “El Toro” (Spanish for “The Bull”).

It is the masculine definite article, whereas the feminine definite article is “la” (both “l’” before a vowel) and the plural “les” is used for both grammatical genders.

Moreover “à le” is mandatorily contracted to “au”, “de le” to “du”, “à les” to “aux” and “de les” to “des”; “des” is also the indefinite article in plural (nothing in most other languages).

Sometimes you see strange combinations such as Le Kitchen (French for “the kitchen” is “la cuisine”).

As to Le Kitchen in Hotel LK Renaissance (number 62 in your map), it is not expensive, but only half of their menu seems to be available and they close at 10 p.m., so you are not really welcome after 9 p.m.

In Soi Post Office there is a, I guess Thai managed, restaurant with the strange name “Le Mignon” (something like “The Loverboy”).

There is a long bar downstairs and the restaurant appears to be upstairs and it always seems to be empty.

But it always reminds me of a poem in old French by Pierre de RONSARD (1524-1585), that we had to learn by heart some 50 years ago:

just had the ribeye fucking lush

As to Le Kitchen in Hotel LK Renaissance (number 62 in your map), it is not expensive, but only half of their menu seems to be available and they close at 10 p.m., so you are not really welcome after 9 p.m.

just had the ribeye fucking lush

:Grin_Jump1:

...and the record for the most chavviest response to an intellectual post goes to...

sgu_banner.gif

...and the record for the most chavviest response to an intellectual post goes to...

5 5 5

BTW what is the meaning of “El Cata”; “la cata” (feminine) is Spanish for “the tasting”.

5555 yea, this combination was awsome! :Laugh1:

Although staying at the place I never ate there. But it is usually packed which is a good sign.

BTW what is the meaning of “El Cata”; “la cata” (feminine) is Spanish for “the tasting”.

No idea. You tell me.

sgu_banner.gif

Mignon translates as, variously, "cute", "sweetie", "pretty", "fancy" all in the masculine. As it's a restaurant it could be taken from Filet Mignon

Mignon translates as, variously, "cute", "sweetie", "pretty", "fancy" all in the masculine. As it's a restaurant it could be taken from Filet Mignon

What you say is true, but it is not good enough to look it up in a dictionary.

You should also have a basic knowledge of French grammar.

The word “mignon” is an adjective and in “(le) filet mignon” it follows the noun (substantive) “(le) filet” which it agrees with in gender and number, i.e. masculine singular.

In “le mignon” the word “mignon” is an adjective used as a noun (a substantive), “un adjectif utilisé substantivement”.

I ate there almost everyday. The daily specials are great value. Very talented cook, the food (steak, potatoes, etc.) always came out perfectly cooked/browned. Good friendly service too.

Happy to read all your comments, I will pass them on to the cooks and the staff. I operate / rent the restaurant at Le Katai and also operate the Jolly Friar a few doors up and the forthcoming China Garden in the same Soi (which will open in 3 weeks).

Thanks again

Ian

Forum Francophone? :GoldenSmile1:

Happy to read all your comments, I will pass them on to the cooks and the staff. I operate / rent the restaurant at Le Katai and also operate the Jolly Friar a few doors up and the forthcoming China Garden in the same Soi (which will open in 3 weeks).

Thanks again

Ian

Might the JF buy 10 get 1 free scheme be extended across the whole of your Empire? :GoldenSmile1:

I ordered a "filet mignon" in Borocay, Philippines,once.

Guess what I was served:. A piece of fish wrapped in bacon.

When I queried this, I was informed that I should have ordered

"Steak Mignon" :rolleyes:

Gotta love the Flips :Hug1:

cheers mick :Number1a:

Forum Francophone? :GoldenSmile1:

At the end of Walking Street, past Soho Square, there is a place called “Espace Francophone” (if my memory serves me well), “French speaking Space”.

No idea what it is about, never been there.

My point is that if you do not have a good command of a language, you better do not use it for the name of your business.

As to that restaurant “Le Mignon” in Soi Post Office, I guess it is Thai owned, but tries to sell itself as “French”.

Better beware of that.

At the end of Walking Street, past Soho Square, there is a place called “Espace Francophone” (if my memory serves me well), “French speaking Space”.

No idea what it is about......................

I've no idea either.

My point was that Pattaya Addicts has a 'Forum Francophone' HERE

I thought French Grammar lessons might be more relevant there, than in a thread about Steak & Kidney Pie & Mash etc. :GoldenSmile1:

I ordered a "filet mignon" in Borocay, Philippines,once.

Guess what I was served:. A piece of fish wrapped in bacon.

When I queried this, I was informed that I should have ordered

"Steak Mignon" :rolleyes:

Gotta love the Flips :Hug1:

cheers mick :Number1a:

Does their menu not have a section for fish and one for meat ?

Even in English “fillet” (American spelling: “filet”) means “a piece of meat or fish that has no bones in it”, but using the expression “filet mignon” for fish is indeed very strange.

Perhaps those Filipino’s thought it was OK because both words begin with “fi”.

In Middle English “fillet” meant “a band worn round the head”.

Perhaps those Filipino’s had the bacon wrap in mind.

I've no idea either.

My point was that Pattaya Addicts has a 'Forum Francophone' HERE

I thought French Grammar lessons might be more relevant there, than in a thread about Steak & Kidney Pie & Mash etc. :GoldenSmile1:

Sounds like taking coals to Newcastle.

After reading the OP I was tempted to give advertised restaurant a try.

But in view of all the highly sophisticated posts in regards of French and Spanish grammar, I’m not so sure if would be able to place my orders grammatically correct. :Dunno:

Instead of taking a risk, I will have my meals at my favorite Isaan food stall, which has certainly got no Michelin star (I hope I spelled it properly, otherwise pls. forgive my sheer ignorance), but serves good food. They accept orders in English and even in grammatically imperfect Isaan or Thai.

:P

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

Sounds like taking coals to Newcastle.

Coals to Newcastle or Pearls before Swine, no matter,

:Deadhorse: Another Thread Bites The Dust. :Deadhorse:

The word “mignon” is an adjective and in “(le) filet mignon” it follows the noun (substantive) “(le) filet” which it agrees with in gender and number, i.e. masculine singular.

In “le mignon” the word “mignon” is an adjective used as a noun (a substantive), “un adjectif utilisé substantivement”.

Ho hum. After 30+ years living and working in France I didn't need a dictionary, thank you. I gave the wiki link for those who aren't familiar with filet mignon (or those who have been to Boracay).

I said mignon was in the masculine because it would be mignonne if it was being applied to a feminine noun. It isn't, and we can reasonably assume that the restaurant name is using the word as a contraction of a phrase (which is the basis of the substantive adjective anyway). So we don't know who or what is cute but we do know that it's masculine. Hence my comment.

It could, of course, be short for "pretty/cute/fancy/sweet restaurant" (still in the masculine) but short of asking the proprietor we will probably never be sure. There is also the notion "apple of one's eye" which again could apply to a restaurant as a favoured place. "Loverboy" is very unlikely, unless the place happens to be gay and even then "cutie" would be a better translation.

Oh, and your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Oh, and your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Oh, devastating. The hamster thing was bad enough, but saying his dad had the odor of elderberries? Have you no humanity?

Archived