IGNORED

Good, cheap Thai food from old-style places

Isn't that the place with the big "20" sign that I mentioned in the original post?

Don't quite know why he charges you 30B instead!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i tried Nuch restaurant and was very disappointed. The meal cost 260 baht for two. Overpriced and just ok quality. We had pad kana moo grawp, tom kha gai, pad sii yuu taleh, and kai jeaow moo sap. The crunchy pork was greasier than it should have been. The coconut milk in the tom kha gai had separated, the kai jeaow was greasy and had too much bad quality pork, The pad sii yuu was just ok. They charged us 10 baht each for two waters.

I've had much better at many other hole-in-the-wall places for half the price.

Your water must have come in bottles. I think that I did very clearly mention in an earlier post in this thread that they have both the free water and also the (identical) bottled sort, for which you pay of course. The free water in the chiller tub is free.

Having never spent more than 60B on a meal for one in any of these places I dont know what to say about your 260B bill. The seafood pad thai that I had for breakfast today at Nuch's was very good and cost 40B, including free water.

I've had much better at many other hole-in-the-wall places for half the price.

More details about them would be nice. (Location, cost, type of food.)

Tried to get into the no-name opposite disco blu two evenings running but there wasn't a seat to be had anywhere. Absolutely heaving with farangs. That guy must own half of his home town by now, if not half the province!

So I wandered up Soi Xcyte and found another no-name place opposite a motorbike taxi stand just before Lek's where I had a good dish of squid fried noodles. Her noodle soup also looked great and I'll have that next time.(Lek's was also full as they dont have many seats: I've still not eaten there).

At a nearby table was a farang and GF with various platefuls of stuff, most of which ended up in doggy-bags for later. When the time came for the bill the owner said 110B (in Thai) to the GF. The GF said 150B (in English) to her farang and the farang handed over 200B to the owner and said "keep the change". All of which rather amused me. I very nearly felt a bit cheap when my turn came to pay my 35B including free water. I soon got over it though. :P

Your water must have come in bottles. I think that I did very clearly mention in an earlier post in this thread that they have both the free water and also the (identical) bottled sort, for which you pay of course. The free water in the chiller tub is free.

Having never spent more than 60B on a meal for one in any of these places I dont know what to say about your 260B bill. The seafood pad thai that I had for breakfast today at Nuch's was very good and cost 40B, including free water.

Yeah, I asked for nam plao and didn't bother to try to figure out how to get the free water when they brought two bottles of cold water. I didn't see pitchers of water on the table, like I usually do at places where they provide free water.

The reason my food was a bit expensive was I didn't order it over rice. Specifically (and I asked because I was a bit shocked about the price), the pad kana moo grawp and the tom kha gai were 70 baht each, the pad sii yuu was 40 (like your pad thai, they are very similar, you might like to try pad sii yuu sometime) and the kai jeaow moo sap was 40 or 60. I think he said 40, but looking at the total, it would have to be 60.

My biggest reason for not liking the place was the food was not to my taste for the reasons I specified. Perhaps they had an off day, but it really just wasn't that good to me.

I've eaten lots of Thai food in my many years here, and the average small restaurant is much better in my experience. There are quite a few in that area, perhaps I'll do a bit of a crawl around there looking at the hole-in-the-wall places to test my theory. You can usually judge quite well by the customer base--a bunch of Thais eating there is a good sign.

More details about them would be nice. (Location, cost, type of food.)

These places are usually called 'Ahaan Tang Sang' places, which means 'Food to order' (excuse my bastardized transliteration). They mostly do the standard Thai dishes like the ones mentioned so far, plus others not yet mentioned. That's a whole 'nother thread.

One of the ones I like better is on Soi Bongkot a few hundred meters up, just a shophouse. Less convenient for most people. Just a lady with a wok. I really like her Tom Yom and pat kana moo grawp. In the mapjack picture link below, it's straight ahead at the end of the wall on the right.

http://www.mapjack.com/?xXuRUPMtkc2D

Yeah, I asked for nam plao and didn't bother to try to figure out how to get the free water when they brought two bottles of cold water. I didn't see pitchers of water on the table, like I usually do at places where they provide free water.

The tub of water and ice is just by the cooking area, and the plastic mugs are covered in a sort of muslin cloth. Just ask and they bring it.

I suspect that they would rather sell you bottled water than give you free water (who wouldn't?), but both options are there. This is more than one can say for more expensive places.

The reason my food was a bit expensive was I didn't order it over rice.

....the pad sii yuu was 40 (like your pad thai, they are very similar, you might like to try pad sii yuu sometime)

I guessed that you had ordered full bowls rather than single-dish. Pad si yu at 40B would be my entire meal, hence my surprise that you could spend 260B for 2 people. Pad thai seafood at 40B seems fair value to me, for a comfortable place without too many people.

I know pad si yu well (it was one of the first things I ever eat in Thailand some 30+ years ago) but I find the soy flavour a bit overpowering compared to pad thai seafood/squid or squid fried noodles (these are my two favourite single-plate meals and hardly a day goes by without me eating at least one of them). Also I dont usually eat meat dishes when fish/squid/seafood is available.

One of the ones I like better is on Soi Bongkot a few hundred meters up, just a shophouse. Less convenient for most people. Just a lady with a wok. I really like her Tom Yom and pat kana moo grawp.

I hardly ever bother crossing 3rd road but will make the effort. Thanks.

I guessed that you had ordered full bowls rather than single-dish. Pad si yu at 40B would be my entire meal, hence my surprise that you could spend 260B for 2 people. Pad thai seafood at 40B seems fair value to me, for a comfortable place without too many people.

I agree 40B is reasonable, though of course you can still get it for 30B from some places I suspect. There used to be a cart in front of Royal Garden on Second road that did a very good version. Someone earlier mentioned Soi Post Office--there are many good food carts there, and one fairly good hole-in-the-wall place on the south side. It's between two building about halfway up. The food is pretty good, but I felt like they charged me a farang price last time I went--seemed like new owners. It seems to me the places where farangs don't usually go are the ones that don't usually charge farang prices--it's not worth it to them or perhaps they just haven't gotten in the habit. Interestingly, the place next to Nuch has been there ages and I don't see farangs eating there much. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

I know pad si yu well (it was one of the first things I ever eat in Thailand some 30+ years ago) but I find the soy flavour a bit overpowering compared to pad thai seafood/squid or squid fried noodles (these are my two favourite single-plate meals and hardly a day goes by without me eating at least one of them). Also I dont usually eat meat dishes when fish/squid/seafood is available.

I really like eating a variety of food. That's why I like going with other people, you can get many dishes Thai-style and share. The same meal we had at Nuch's would have cost perhaps 160 baht at the restaurant I mentioned, making it quite a buffet for 80 baht each. I do, like you, occasionally get a single item over rice or a noodle dish if I'm in a hurry or just need a quick fill-up, but I really enjoy eating so like to do the variety meal as often as I can.

I hardly ever bother crossing 3rd road but will make the effort. Thanks.

Here's a google map version of the location with directions to try to pinpoint it for you.

http://goo.gl/KbERm

It's really not super special for Thailand--that's the great thing about Thailand. Even a tiny little place like this can serve better Thai food than 98% of the restaurants back in farangland. Fresh ingredients expertly cooked with great recipes that millions of Thai people know.

Perhaps we should start a Thai food crawl surveying the hole-in-the-wall places. :D

Ah well, I'm a mean old sod who always eats alone and so I favour the single-plate dishes!

Of couse you are abolutely right about the sharing thing: when possible it makes a lot of sense.

Luckily though Thai places are well geared up to the notion of a small portion over rice for the single eater on a budget. I would be in a bad way otherwise.

I'm sure you have read the splendid article behind this thread

Such a shame the chap wasn't in Pattaya when he did it, though I suspect he would have spent 20-40% more than he did if he had been here.

Yeah, if you get outside of Pattaya, prices drop considerably. Four of us got absolutely stuffed on seafood in Laem Chabang for under a thousand baht--including drinks! The food was brilliant and fresh, too. I suspect the same meal in Pattaya would be 4 times as much, and I doubt it would be as good--the customers in Laem Chabang come from the industrial estate--they want good food and value for their baht or they just won't go.

Most of the Thai girls seem to prefer eating in these places as opposed to the air conditioned western restaurants. I've never had a BF voluntarily choose anything else.

Maybe they're hoping that the money you save will go to them!

Absolutely right.Don't think that the girl's are stupid to save (there) money as well.Cheers. :What::Hit_Self:

:NoNo3:

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Personally i have 3 good locations for cheap, real thai food:

1) restaurants left on parking of Alcazar 2nd road, see location http://www.pattayaphotoguide.com/?NwzRUH4skcyB

2) restaurant left of German restaurant Anton on Naklua road with the blue windowshields closed, see location: http://www.pattayaphotoguide.com/?7W5RUtmtkcMC

3) at the foodstalls on Jomtien weekendmarket, see location: http://www.pattayaphotoguide.com/?54oRUPKukcwC

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

Will try and get to all of those, thanks, though a couple are more suitable for people with private transport.

Currently looking for a condo to buy and I find myself being tempted by View Talay 6 because of the proximity of good cheap eating places within 10 mins walk. One other option is View Talay 7, which has a much better view, but there is nowhere near such a good choice of cheap food around Jomtien seafront.

Interestingly, the place next to Nuch has been there ages and I don't see farangs eating there much. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

That place is indeed a bit quiet (and a bit dingy). However, I saw a Thai guy eating in there yesterday and two farangs in there today.

They have a printed menu on the table. I wanted to examine it but I'll have to take my glasses with me one day in order to read it!

Perhaps I should open a cheap Thai restaurant here. I'm sure I could get it at least as full as the no-name opposite Disco Blu, probably fuller.

One day I saw Nuch ordering Thai salad to herself from a street vendor. So I don't think she has it in her menu.

You probably saw her ordering mango salad from the motorised vendor who stops bang opposite her place every evening for a while. I've tried it recently and it's great. I think Nuch has one pretty well every evening and I dont blame her. The guy doesnt stay too long and I dont know where he goes later: somewhere in the Soi Buakow drection.

I think she does do the more common vermicelli salad.

Well, today I finally tried the place next too Nuch's. The name is (not that it matters) Jay Orn Laab Goy. The meal I had there was much, much better than the one I had at Nuch's--and substantially cheaper. We ordered pad grapow ruam mit (stir fried various meats and seafood with holy basil), yum wun sen seafood (glass noodle salad) and pad si yuu moo (stir fried fat rice noodles with soy sauce). All the food was very delicious, the ingredients were very fresh and the portions were very generous. It was as good as the restaurant on Soi Bongkot that I mentioned before--The pad grapow was even better. Most of the patrons were Thai and it got quite busy while we were there. Oh, total cost, 135 baht--50 each for the first two dishes, 35 for the noodles. Excellent value for the money and the two of us were quite full after eating.

Perhaps Nuch's is better for a one-dish-over-rice meal, Darrel, but I think you should give Jay Orn a try. I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

That's very interesting, thanks, and I will certainly give it a try if only for the seafood salad which I adore. Will find someone to eat with to get me away from the sad-old-git single plate meals! (Where would I be without pad thai seafood? In Subway probably.)

Was I right about the menu?

Do try the motorised mango salad vendor mentioned above if you get the chance.

Numchai (think that's how you spell it)on Soi Boakhow just up from the Chaba hut on same side of the road

is a good spot and it stay's open til 3 I think. They give free bottle's of water although I never drink them.

I know a couple of girls that love the place

That's very interesting, thanks, and I will certainly give it a try if only for the seafood salad which I adore. Will find someone to eat with to get me away from the sad-old-git single plate meals! (Where would I be without pad thai seafood? In Subway probably.)

It's easy to get in a rut. We were originally intending to go to the salad bar at Sizzler yesterday as we have done so many times--almost 400 baht out the door if we had done that. Instead I said "let's troll the neighborhood looking for cheap Thai places where the workers around here (laundry girls, bar girls, motorcycle taxi guys, etc.) go to eat."

We were walking around and the fact that I had intended to go to the place next to Nuch (I've been eyeing it for ages) came to mind, so we tried it. Both of us were skeptical, but were very pleasantly surprised both by the food and the check afterwards--saved over 200 baht (over Sizzler) and had some world-class (as far as I'm concerned) Thai food.

Lesson learned--get out of the rut you're in and you may discover new gems. The problem is now that I liked Jay Orn so much I'm tempted to go back rather than seek out new places. :D

Was I right about the menu?

Do try the motorised mango salad vendor mentioned above if you get the chance.

The menu was fine for me--it was in pieces and confusing and the restaurant has crap decor--just my kind of place!

I'll keep an eye out for the mango salad vendor.

Numchai (think that's how you spell it)on Soi Boakhow just up from the Chaba hut on same side of the road

is a good spot and it stay's open til 3 I think. They give free bottle's of water although I never drink them.

I know a couple of girls that love the place

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out eventually.

Last year I used to go have a few cheap ones watching the football at Katesiree bar on Soi Buakhao.

Couldnt help noticing how busy the Thai restaurant was over the road. Even during torrential rain storms some farangs but mostly Thais were turning up for takeaways.Gonna pay a visit this year.

I think that's the no-name place people often mention.

http://www.mapjack.com/?nLvRUTyrkc4B

I don't like it much and I don't notice that many Thais--more westerners than Thais seem to eat there to me.

I much preferred the food I got at the restaurant I mentioned above which is just around the corner--in my opinion, even Nuch's is better than the one you are talking about.

http://www.mapjack.com/?zGvRUS7rkcaF

The picture above is quite old--Nuch's was still a laundry then. :D

The picture above is quite old--Nuch's was still a laundry then. :D

Oh yes. Wot larks!

Personally I rather like the no-name mentioned first. I've always found it to be reliable, cheap and tasty, at least for the dish I always order in there. And full of farangs, agreed. But they are probably there for a reason and the reason is probably that they dont get ripped off (too much).

I ate at Jay Orn again, the place next to Nuch's. This time we took the food home to eat. It was ok, but not as good. I'll give it a third try at some point--I think we may have just ordered the wrong stuff this time.

Normally I would eat my one-plate breakfast/lunch of pad thai seafood (40B) at Nuch's but today the rain upset my plans and rather than get my canoe out I stayed home and got something downstairs. And so this evening, once it had dried out a bit, I decided to go to Jay Orn, just to see.

It was rather gloomy inside and (needless to say) I hadnt thought to bring my glasses. I managed to see the pictures and most of the writing on the menu and amongst the larger more expensive dishes I found a one-plate dish, fried noodles at 40B, which I really like and often have. I pointed it out to the lady (who had to peer at the menu picture herself to see what it was) and she said, "OK. Chicken, pork?" I asked for squid, which is what I always have with fried noodles, notably round the corner at the no-name in Soi Buakhow where it costs 35B for a good plateful of noodles, squid and veggies. Lady: "OK. Spicy?" Me: "Chop".

I helped myself to water and a couple of minutes later a small dish appeared with some fried squid, chili, some onion and a few basil leaves. No noodles in view, and the quantity of squid and chili on the plate was just a little more than I would expect on an "over-rice" dish. Some rice appeared on another plate. OK, I'm not one to argue about noodle dishes without noodles and I've nothing against chili squid over-rice anyway, so I eat it. Unfortunately it was really salty and had no other flavour apart from salt and chili. The rice was OK. I was charged 40B for the squid dish and 10B for the rice. I could have had a very similar plateful (without the salty taste) for just 20B around the corner in Soi Diana, in slightly better surroundings.

So I was wandering home, still hungry and a bit let-down, and luckily I came across a motorised noodle soup lady who did me a great take-home bowl for 30B, full of unmentionable bits and pieces and very tasty indeed. So all's well that ends well but that 50B for squid over rice was very poor and they wont be seeing me in there again.

YMMV

Archived