Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Good, cheap Thai food from old-style places

Sounds like a miscommunication to me. :) Noodle dish with no noodles?

I would have handled it the same way, pay and move on.

However, I had a great meal at that restaurant, so I haven't *quite* yet given up on them.

By the way, I found the mango salad guy tonight when I was walking around waiting for my Greek food. Got an order of his salad--excellente! He gave me his card so I can find him in his wanderings. Great find.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you found the salad guy. A motorised salad vendor with a calling card and mobile phone. You have to laugh, dont you?

My main objection to the other place was the severe overpricing for a very poor meal: quite the worst value I have had in three months here. Not bothered at all about the lack of noodles, though the picture and description both had noodles in them so I dont think it was my fault.

In Soi Post office you will find a cart shop that starts selling food from 12:00 noon onwards. By 2:00 PM there is a swarm bar girls enjoying food there. They sell this dish that I believe was best amongst any other Thai places that I have eaten. It's made with fried pork skin, ginger and chilli. Definitely worth a try (along with girls being there ;).

Just behind this cart shop there is a hole in the wall shop that operates from morning till 5:00 PM that sells one of the best chicken rice.

Both of these shops are pretty close to Pump Station on the opposite side.

Another good place to eat naamtok (waterfall salad) and larb is the corner shop in the market on Soi Buakhow. But the shop is only open in evening. Last 1 plate of naamtok moo and larb moo with sticky rice costed me90 baht and water was for free

Thanks for the info. Soi Post Office is a great place for Thai food if you're in the area as you say. You can see many Thais go there to eat.

Hi Darrel,

sorry, yes that's the same place. I go in there several times a trip and I away get his soup over the rice and two pieces of chicken. Some times he charges me 25 baht and sometimes he charges me 30 baht. I don't ever remember being charged 20 baht but that may be because I always get the chicken. If you haven't had his chicken try it, it is great.

Jon

the no name place on soi buakhow is sometimes called tin cups if its the same place that i visited a few times,i had heard a lot about this place but if im honest i found the food a bit bland,it was always busy and the price was right but i felt a little let down by the food

Soi Post Office: As it happens I was there today to post a letter and spotted the hole in the wall by accident. I had never noticed it before behind the other stalls. Certainly worth a try.

Soi Diana: the 20B sign applies to your choice of topping from the trays at the front, over rice. 5B extra for a fried egg. Other bits and pieces like chicken and fish are extra and 30B is about the maximum, as you say. I usually take fish rather than meat, if it is available, but will bear the chicken in mind. He sometimes does a rather nice fried pancake/fritter thing that I cant really describe also.

This place has gone up-market (!) over the last week or so and now has a flash new boiler for noodle soup (with new 25B sign above the 20B one) and is also open into the evening which it never used to be AFAIK. The miserable owner (who has never said hello to me once in all the time I have been going there, and always looks at me as though I had trodden in something) now seems to have a pleasant girl there, so in this case progress is good.

No-name Soi Buakhow: I think that this place tones the meals down slighty for farang tastes. Farangs do make up about 90% of the clientele, though there are always Thais eating there or getting take-aways. That said, the dishes I have there have always tasted good to me and I have never walked away disappointed.

Market, Soi Buakhow: Sounds good and will go on the to-do list. I love spicy salads and often get them from ambulant vendors. The only trouble with them is knowing where to find them!

No-name Soi Buakhow: I think that this place tones the meals down slighty for farang tastes. Farangs do make up about 90% of the clientele, though there are always Thais eating there or getting take-aways. That said, the dishes I have there have always tasted good to me and I have never walked away disappointed.

I agree about the clientele. Someone on this thread said there were lots of Thais there, but I only see Thais with their farang bf's (well, mostly). The food, the couple times I've had it, was not to my taste. It's more Thai-Farang food than Thai (similar to your comment, but I really love Thai-Thai food).

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the place I talked about earlier in the thread, plus an offer to Darrel. Here's what I said:

One of the ones I like better is on Soi Bongkot a few hundred meters up, just a shophouse. Less convenient for most people. Just a lady with a wok. I really like her Tom Yom and pat kana moo grawp. In the mapjack picture link below, it's straight ahead at the end of the wall on the right.

http://www.mapjack.com/?xXuRUPMtkc2D

This place is really the best of any I've tried in this thread. Much better than Nuch's, the no-name place and Jay Orn and a much better value. It's a bit off the beaten track, but in my opinion worth the trip. You may have to wait a while when you get there too, she only has one burner and if there are a lot of people ahead of you, there can be a wait. Sign of a good place to me.

Here's the offer to Darrel: I'd be happy to buy you a meal there.

Cheers,

expatdude

Thank you. Best offer I've had all year. Actually, when I think about it, it's the only offer I've had all year. I will happily accompany you but I always pay my own way (neither a borrower nor a lender be, I was taught).

I walked up that road one evening a few weeks ago and I must have got nearly as far as that restaurant, if not further. It seemed like rather a nice area. I'd just had supper in Soi Buakow so I wasn't looking for anywhere to eat, just walking around.

Up to you if you want to pay your way--this weekend is good, the old lady is out of town.

I belive quite a few BM have been eating at Nuch's old "restaurant" in soi Xcyte. The place is now torn down and moved a few yards up the soi, http://www.nuch-pattaya.com/

Easy to order with menu in english, german and thai and all cooked to your liking if you talk to Nuch.

Dish are from 30 baht up and water offcourse included

Thank you for that. I will absolutely give a go on my next trip in May. I really like the local food (and the local prices) :GoldenSmile1:

• 2 weeks later...

I had some business yesterday at the main branch of Bangkok Bank. I had to wait around for a while, so I popped outside to get a bite to eat. Had pad sii yuu moo kai dow at the little open air restaurant right on the southwest corner of the intersection of Soi 6 and Second Road. Very nice. They brought me a free glass of water. 35 baht. Highly recommended.

Yes, I really was there on business! How dare you think otherwise.

Come to think of it, on this board, I should have lied and said "After a long session of shagging forty bar girls on Soi 6, I needed to recharge my batteries so I tried that restaurant on the corner..." :)

I had some business yesterday at the main branch of Bangkok Bank. I had to wait around for a while, so I popped outside to get a bite to eat. Had pad sii yuu moo kai dow at the little open air restaurant right on the southwest corner of the intersection of Soi 6 and Second Road. Very nice. They brought me a free glass of water. 35 baht. Highly recommended.

Yes, I really was there on business! How dare you think otherwise.

Come to think of it, on this board, I should have lied and said "After a long session of shagging forty bar girls on soi 6, I needed to recharge my batteries so I tried that restaurant on the corner..." :)

Guilty conscience.. :D

single-mum.jpg

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

I absolutely love these places, but did find them difficult to find on my last trip to Pattaya. The food here tastes so much better than in a more expensive, upscale restaurant. Pad grapow for 30 baht and free water, simple yet delicious!

I absolutely love these places, but did find them difficult to find on my last trip to Pattaya. The food here tastes so much better than in a more expensive, upscale restaurant. Pad grapow for 30 baht and free water, simple yet delicious!

They are everywhere, once you know how to look. It's rare that they are no good. The one I just reviewed is good, but so are hundreds of others; in fact right next to this one is another. I'd be surprised if it were bad.

• 5 years later...

Personally i have 3 good locations for cheap, real thai food:

1) restaurants left on parking of Alcazar 2nd road, see location http://www.pattayaphotoguide.com/?NwzRUH4skcyB

2) restaurant left of German restaurant Anton on Naklua road with the blue windowshields closed, see location: http://www.pattayaphotoguide.com/?7W5RUtmtkcMC

3) at the foodstalls on Jomtien weekendmarket, see location: http://www.pattayaphotoguide.com/?54oRUPKukcwC

Does Bei Anton still exist?

At their previous location on Naklua Road, opposite Soi 18 is now a Kiss Food.

I thought they had moved nearby, but I couldn’t find them.

Archived