IGNORED

Thai street food challange

beeline

Been following this closely. I always end up mostly ordering either Khra Pow or Cow Pad because I know I'll like it but always come back regretting not trying more things.

This guy (Richard Barrow) is eating 3 different meals a day (all street food) every day for a month. Some really tasty looking meals (some really dodgy also!) that I'd probably never normally try but I'm determined to be a bit more adventurous next trip: http://www.enjoythaifood.com/thai-street-food/thai-food-challenge-day-01.html

If you know where you can get any of these dishes in Pattaya please post.

:Good_Post: Thanks for sharing, some lovely food there. Will definately try some. :Drool:

yumm most of that food looks delicious. But i think most of it its to spicy for an avreage scandinavian stomach :( Thanks for sharing :GiveBeer1:

"They say i have a drinking problem?" I drink I fall down...I get up NO PROBLEM!:D

Didn't get the impression that all that many were very spicy, he usually gives a warning if they're likely to be too hot for farang.

Great site. I recognise most of the dishes although I too am guilty of mainly sticking to my favourites. Good way to save money by the looks of things, the guy seems to only be spending an average of about 90 baht per day.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

The girls at the bar I used to drink at used to share their food with me which they used to get from a guy who came around with a cart, so I started giving the girls 200 a day to buy food off the cart when it come around(food for all the girls) it made me very popular with all the girls in the bar and I got the chance to try proper Thai food(insects included).

The girls at the bar I used to drink at used to share their food with me which they used to get from a guy who came around with a cart, so I started giving the girls 200 a day to buy food off the cart when it come around(food for all the girls) it made me very popular with all the girls in the bar and I got the chance to try proper Thai food(insects included).

This is one reason I love Pattaya; for £4 a day you've got loads of instant girlfriends and this sets a great social scene at the bar. Not too flash either (which is a good thing).

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Awesome link. I think I might try this next time I'm in Thailand. At least one different dish every day for the length of my stay.

As a matter of fact...A different dish and a different girl each day. Now that's the ticket!

FYI... Richard Barrow (the author of the 30 day Thai Food Challenge) also has a very informative website. A must read for anyone.

http://richardbarrow.com/

Edited by SlickMonkey

Well Mr Barrow is certainly more adventurous than myself, although reading 'fish stomach' as one of the meal's ingredients is probably the reason I stick to tried and trusted favourites. A good reference for people (like myself) who are sometimes baffled by the response when I ask "What's in it ?".

This is one reason I love Pattaya; for £4 a day you've got loads of instant girlfriends and this sets a great social scene at the bar. Not too flash either (which is a good thing).

I was always discreet about it and gave the money to the girl without being flash about it and yes it was a good thing.

btw great tips from the OP for cooking thai(I made my first Thai dish the other day and it turned out fantastic)

This is a list of my staple diet when I live in Thailand

All meals under 50 baht

1 Fried rice chicken (kao put gai)

2 Rice with red pork (kao moo dang)

3 Duck Noodle (Mii bet)

4 bbq chicken on stick with sticky rice (kao niew gai yarng)

5 Yellow rice chicken curry - dont remember

6 Rice noodle soup (Many variations) - (Goi diew)

7 Fried rice noodles (put si iw)

8 Rice porridge (Jok)

9 crispy noodles with fried meat (laard na mii gop)

10 rice with chicken basil (pat krapow gai)

11 boiled rice with pork (kao tom moo) - Good for hangovers

12 fried grasshoppers (thakathang)

13 sticky rice with minced meat (kao niew laarp)

14 paw paw salad - som tum thai

15 spicy prawn soup - tom yung goong

16 pizza - peezaaa (Just making sure you're paying attention)

Also the pot noodles you buy in 7-11 seem more edible in Thailand than back home somehow...

yumm most of that food looks delicious. But i think most of it its to spicy for an avreage scandinavian stomach :( Thanks for sharing :GiveBeer1:

Before your next visit to LOS, take a look at some of the recipies on the site (or grab a Thai cookbook) & prepare the dishes for yourself - you'll get a handle as to which you can tolerate, which tear your insides out, and those somewhere in between. I came to appreciate (and crave) pad grapao moo sap (pork with basil & chili). Had I not experimented before leaving home, I would have never discovered just how good some of this stuff can be.

Happy eating & mongering!

Hi Phil :D I actually tasted pork with basil and chili last time I visited :D it was delicious but a tad spicy for me. I could eat the whole thing but I think i had three or four beers with it hehe cheers :GoldenSmile1:

"They say i have a drinking problem?" I drink I fall down...I get up NO PROBLEM!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, nice place to get some reviews.

Really miss street thai food, especialy the khao mun gai tod and the noodles.

"Life is good. In Pattaya is FUCKING Good!!!"

This is a list of my staple diet when I live in Thailand

All meals under 50 baht

5 Yellow rice chicken curry - dont remember

Khao Mok Gai; a southern thai speciality. Unlike many southern dishes, not spicy at all. Usually sold by muslim food vendors.

Thanks for posting the site. I cannot wait to get back next month to start going thru the list.

nice thanks for the site!! Does anyone get any issues when eating alot of street food? Or is it mainly for the first few times u have it and then afterward your pretty much fine? I want to eat a shit load of street food my next trip as i'm going to be in pattaya for 3 months so it'll save me alot of money and i hear its tastey as hell!!

So long as they're busy with customers or the food is cooked in front of you, you should have no issues at all. Some of the best food I've had has come from street vendors.

Great post and I've spent almost a good hour looking up all 31 days of his food challenge.

I agree with this - sure ladydrinks get the girls interested in you, but slipping some money to a girl and getting her to go out and order a feast makes you the life of the bar... and it costs SFA.