IGNORED

Thai street food challange

beeline

I went with a LT TG and got everything for 20BHAT from the street vendors near Tukom. I usually spent 60 on food + 115 for Sangsom + 5 BHAT petrol to Cosy Beach = happy TG thinking how romantic it is & me having spent about £3.50 :D.

Impressing a western girl with a meal costa me something like

2 x entrees - $18

2x mains - $60

2x dessert - $25

a couple of decent bottles of red - $50

Coffee - $8

Over $160 (4700 baht) and and that's before I know if I'm gonna get lucky ... I wonder why I love LOS???

Edited by singlemalt72

• 1 month later...

really good site! interesting and informative.....would really like to try al of these as im quite adventurous with food but with my limited thai vocabulary i would find it difficult to order or make an idiot of myself in doing so, and would ever be abe to realise if id eaten the same thing more than once until it was too late!!

<EMBED SRC="http://games.webgamedesign.com/free/counter2-1.swf?title=Since%20I%20Left%20LOS!&count=down&time=1338968100000&bgc=0x0077cc&bgb=1&bgd=0&bc=0xcccccc&bb=1&bd=0&tc=0xcccccc&tb=1&td=1&uc=0x99ccff&ub=1&ud=2&nc=0x333333&nb=1&nd=0" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" NAME="Free Counter" ALIGN=MIDDLE WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=100 quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

I had always wondered what sort of things you can find on the street stalls, will most definatley be trying a few of these when I get there, thanks for the link to the website

The girls at the bar I used to drink at used to share their food with me which they used to get from a guy who came around with a cart, so I started giving the girls 200 a day to buy food off the cart when it come around(food for all the girls) it made me very popular with all the girls in the bar and I got the chance to try proper Thai food(insects included).

200 baht can feed the village. Was it a big bar?

• 2 weeks later...

I always try to eat the "proper" Thai way and having travelled up country to the (ex) girlfriends village a couple of times am well aware of how they just go out into the field and grab stuff to eat.

However some of it just isn't made for a farang's digestive system and I've had bum gravy more than once after enjoying a tasty insect thing in sticky rice. Then it's back to KFC and Burger King for a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

That's the type of food I'm looking for, food writers generally agree that there are two type's of Thai food, street food and Royal Thai cooking, the latter usually expensive and reserved for top end dining. Everything in between is a pale reflection of both these styles, so the most affordable and probably the best way, to experience this cuisine is to pull up a plastic seat at a street stall and enjoy!

With dishes from as little as 20bht- 60bht, if you don't like it you can bin it and move on, its not gonna break the bank!

• 9 months later...

well done put a lot into that

will be trying some

thanks for all the info

softlad