Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Do thai girls want us to speak thai ?

chanman

If your Thai is worse than her English then she might appreciate you making the effort or it might be a pain in the arse depending on her mood.

Often a pain in the arse, as most guys think they can speak a bit of Thai, but are so far out.

So she has to listen hard, and try to work out what you are really trying to say.

It is not so simple to speak Thai, it is tonal, has 44 normal letters, 32 vowels, 4 tone marks and some randoms.

Many sounds that are not common to the English language.

Often a pain in the arse, as most guys think they can speak a bit of Thai, but are so far out.

So she has to listen hard, and try to work out what you are really trying to say.

It is not so simple to speak Thai, it is tonal, has 44 normal letters, 32 vowels, 4 tone marks and some randoms.

Many sounds that are not common to the English language.

Yes, I think that many guys who speak a little Thai don't realise how bad they must sound, or how hard they might be to understand to a Thai. I don't mean that in an elitist way, but as you say, one wrong tone or a short vowel instead of a long one and you might have technically said a totally different word and it's hassle for them to fathom out what you really meant.

I think of it the same way as when you meet a BG that speaks English with that horrible, hard edged accent....it just doesn't sound nice.

The point of speaking Thai isn't to show off, it's to communicate and if it improves communication then it's probably going to be appreciated.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

The point of speaking Thai isn't to show off, it's to communicate and if it improves communication then it's probably going to be appreciated.

^^^ This

P.S There is a fantastic site on the web called Learning Thai The Easy Way, it is totally free and starts off with basic words and phrases, greetings,telling the time,food and drink, numbers etc right up to advanced speech and reading and writing, but the BEST thing is that it allows you to click on the word or phrase and you can hear the correct pronounciation in your headphones.

I tried to enter this site and got the message "403 Forbidden". I am using my own computer in the USA and not sure what is going on. Help please ?

I tried to enter this site and got the message "403 Forbidden". I am using my own computer in the USA and not sure what is going on. Help please ?

The problem is on their side, not yours. The website is down for the moment.

Nothing you can do (except waiting them to fix the problem, or sending an email to [email protected])

"They don't like it if you speak Thai" The chant of those to lazy to learn Thai properly...

Got to agree - I've yet to visit a country where the locals don't appreciate an effort to, at least, learn a few words of their language. How many on here disparage visitors and immigrants to their own country who can't speak 'the language' ? I think many will be comfortable with the concept of 'talking loudly and slightly slower' to get them by in most countries.

In most times it will enhance the partymood and give better conversations, even more opportunities to make jokes and getting to know these BG better as you ever would get with them in English!

There are just a few who don't like, as these are the ones that are only out there to cheat and lie on you for quick cash. They smile in your face but speak bad about you!

All girls are there for their work and luckily most of them try to make the best out of it during your time with them. Until now i only had 1 BG who was a waist of my time and didn't like me to understand thai as it was harder for her to lie to me during her 3 days with me to get more money.

I never show of with my thai language skills in beerbars. It's way better to stay low profile in the beginning, so you can see and understand what happens in this beerbar and how people interact with you. But most BG will quickly find out that you are understanding what they say or at least a part of it! w<hich benefits for you as they won't try to threat you like a newbie or overcharge on prices!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

They don't want us to speak Thai? Then why do I have them all over me when they find out I can? I'd say if you're an expat and can't speak Thai, they'll look down on you (either lazy or thick). But they hardly expect tourists to speak Thai. If you can they might be a bit suspicious.

I HAVE THEM ALL OVER ME TOO BUT I DONT SPEAK A WROD OF THAI.

I think the girls do like it if you can speak Thai or at least try to, I only know a few words and phrases, enough to be a little cheeky with the girls, which they seem to have fun with and enjoy, when I'm at a beer bar and the girls aren't busy I will ask if they mind teaching me a little Thai( this is not for my linguistic knowledge but to create a re pore )

When I was at the Bulldog Bar there was one girl who was / seemed a grumpy bitch she would not really respond to me when i spoke English to her, after starting a conversation with her in thai, the little I know , she was convinced I could speak fluently haha, she loosened up a lot, anyway her English was impeccable,it turned out to be a real fun night ending in a blowie from one of the girls.

Edited by 1rooster

If you just met a big, fat, stinky gorilla who grunts at you & gets increasingly aggressive after every beer, how would you feel?

Would a little bit of communication, preferably in your own language, make you feel less scared?

What if you are then trapped in a hotel room with the gorilla, who is salivating at the mouth & starts to fuck you up the arse, whether you like it or not?

Engage your brain gents!

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif

[quote name=

the gorilla, who is salivating at the mouth & starts to fuck you up the arse, whether you like it or not?

I presume you're speaking from personal experience here?

If you just met a big, fat, stinky gorilla who grunts at you & gets increasingly aggressive after every beer, how would you feel?

If you're a female Gorilla and mildly agressive , probably horny mak mak

Would a little bit of communication, preferably in your own language, make you feel less scared?

yes, definitely , if they could speak Gorilla that would be just fine

What if you are then trapped in a hotel room with the gorilla, who is salivating at the mouth & starts to fuck you up the arse, whether you like it or not?

Look on the bright side at least she wont get pregnant.

Engage your brain gents!

Double Peace. :GoldenSmile1: :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by 1rooster

• 2 weeks later...

No, Thai girls do not want us to speak Thai.

If they want some thing they will speak fucking English, believe me.

If Falangs live in Thailand & speak Thai they say he know to much, he long time Pattaya.

If you know the score they are half out the door.

:001_Thank_You5:

You are spot on with your statement! They don't want us to speak or understand Thai. I was talking for months to a BG....I started learning Thai and began speaking to her.....she was suprised at first, but as I got better....told me to stop and not learn any more. I kept asking why? Thinking it was a good thing, but I began to realize that there were things she was afraid I would hear. 5555

Whether it's finding about about lies they've told or maybe they feel you won't need them as much when you're there....I'm not sure. But I did get the message from the BG that she didn't approve.

On the other hand.....with a non BG.....a GOOD Thai girl......complete opposite! They love that you are willing to learn or can speak some Thai!

Pom kow jai pasa Thai nit noy krup.

You are spot on with your statement! They don't want us to speak or understand Thai. I was talking for months to a BG....I started learning Thai and began speaking to her.....she was suprised at first, but as I got better....told me to stop and not learn any more. I kept asking why? Thinking it was a good thing, but I began to realize that there were things she was afraid I would hear. 5555

Whether it's finding about about lies they've told or maybe they feel you won't need them as much when you're there....I'm not sure. But I did get the message from the BG that she didn't approve.

On the other hand.....with a non BG.....a GOOD Thai girl......complete opposite! They love that you are willing to learn or can speak some Thai!

Pom kow jai pasa Thai nit noy krup.

So you are drawing these conclusions from one experience? Maybe she was just being polite and didn't like listening to your Thai? :D I think the real answer is that the situations in which they wouldn't want a farang to speak Thai are.

1. They want to keep him/them in the dark about something. I've known it to happen but have always seen it as yet another reason to learn Thai as it helps filter out any with bad intentions.

2. If their English is better than your Thai which would mean that you speaking in Thai is reducing the amount of genuine communication. Also if somebody has learned the wrong kind of Thai which they might find embarrassing or irritating (Thais do swear but in my experience not as much as Westerners and they bore of it quicker, especially from foreigners)

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

So you are drawing these conclusions from one experience? Maybe she was just being polite and didn't like listening to your Thai? :D I think the real answer is that the situations in which they wouldn't want a farang to speak Thai are.

1. They want to keep him/them in the dark about something. I've known it to happen but haver always seen it as yet another reason to learn Thai as it helps filter out any with bad intentions.

2. If their English is better than your Thai which would mean that you speaking in Thai is reducing the amount of genuine communication. Also if somebody has learned the wrong kind of Thai which they might find embarrassing or irritating (Thais do swear but in my experience not as much as Westerners and they bore of it quicker, especially from foreigners)

You are right.....I shouldn't generalize or make the assumption. It was based on the one BG and it's a good point about MY Thai! 5555 I try to get the tones sounding correctly, but I can imagine I sound funny.

Point taken!

:001_Thank_You5:

I think its the same wherever you go in the world. Same as when migrants came to Australia and lived here for years yet never learned english. Australians looked down on them as ignorant. I think thais would be the same for anyone who chooses to live in a country and not learnt to speak the language would be perceived as either incredibly arrogant or stupid and ignorant. They would be right to.

Strange, I thought the English were migrants in Australia who never learnt the language of the aboriginals.

Were they “incredibly arrogant or stupid and ignorant” ?

1. some girls loved that i could speak thai. they insisted on speaking only thai and taught me a lot. plus they love to laugh and joke when you spit out little stupid idioms or know some old school songs from their past.. it is a riot..

2. some girls gave me the look of death.. they get their guard up right away and start with.. how long you live in thailand, how long you work here? you have thai lady.. the farang know to much theory comes right into play. one girl i met didnt want me to speak thai in public with her. but when we were alone thai all the way..

3. a funny thing was me and a buddy met 2 girls.. one understood every word i said while the other one didnt. at first i thought she was playing with me. but it turns out she was so used to only thais speaking thai she couldnt understand me through my american accent..

4. the most important thing i learned is that if they give you an attitude or show you they dont like you when you speak a little bit of thai with them you are better off without them.. because they are looking to scam and dont want to be bothered in being personal with you. fuck em..

5. most regular thai ladies and id say around 90% like it... start off small. or even wait until you get to know them a little bit before you drop it on them. most of the time they are really interested in how you can speak their language.. because they are a little jealous because most of the time they are struggling to learn english...

the best tip i have is choose you moments.. always start in your native language... gauge the situation and if it works for you then go.. 90% of the time it is all in your favor and they love ya even more... the other 10% are called short times...

IMO you have summed it up perfectly. My Thai is terrible so I can not claim to be anywhere near the same level as you however even with my limited vocabulary skills I have had similar findings. As you say, it is all about choosing the moment.

What I have also found is that with an increasing number of trips under my belt and often frequenting the same bars, the girls actually expect me to speak a little more each time.

Personally I believe that learning even a little bit of any language is a great way to break down barriers and can very quickly open new doors that were previously closed.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

• 4 weeks later...

JOltme why your girl dont want you to speak thai the public place but private okay?

she thinks you have a bad reputation if you did that? i don't understand it.

very interesting topic for me. thanks.

:Greetings9:

My long time TGF positively wants me to learn Thai and she actively teaches me has she puts it "good Thai" every time she stays with me. I like learning but have not told her I have regular Thai coversation lessons with a Thai lady (only friend) when back home but she thinks I am improving through her help which makes her feel good! I do enjoy listening and understanding to little bits of her conversations with her friends but now and then I forget the pretence that I don't understand and join in LOL! :Crazy1:

:Chokdee:

Hoffmeister :Circle_Sharks:

• 3 months later...

Just to add to this, i was chatting to a TG on facebook yesterday (not one i have fucked) and i mentioned i found a Thai language trainer in my hometown and that i was going to improve my thai. She said thai people dont like farang who can speak a lot of thai. i asked why and she said some ppl think they keeneow!

She also said for her personally she thinks its good because you can talk more..lol

Interesting topic this. I have made a couple of visits to LOS now. After first visit, I started Thai lessons, so on second visit my Thai still very elementary. So my girl met me at the airport when I went back last time and I was saying about my Thai lessons telling her I needed help from her with the learning. Her response was a very definite no. The reasons she gave were: She wanted to speak English with me so she could improve. So often when she hears Falang speak Thai it so bad it sounds horrible and she cannot understand. Both fair points I think, but I still tried with my very little Thai. Got laughed at a couple of times, but that was good as it meant she became more willing to help. If we communicated by text at all, I found that the odd Thai word in the text went down very well, so it was a question of my mangling the words in my mouth!! Reminds me of the UK TV series 'Allo 'Allo

I will soldier on

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

Interesting topic this. I have made a couple of visits to LOS now. After first visit, I started Thai lessons, so on second visit my Thai still very elementary. So my girl met me at the airport when I went back last time and I was saying about my Thai lessons telling her I needed help from her with the learning. Her response was a very definite no. The reasons she gave were: She wanted to speak English with me so she could improve. So often when she hears Falang speak Thai it so bad it sounds horrible and she cannot understand. Both fair points I think, but I still tried with my very little Thai. Got laughed at a couple of times, but that was good as it meant she became more willing to help. If we communicated by text at all, I found that the odd Thai word in the text went down very well, so it was a question of my mangling the words in my mouth!! Reminds me of the UK TV series 'Allo 'Allo

I will soldier on

When learning Thai you should start with reading and writing. This way youre pronounce is understandable by almost every thai. You cant learn and speak Thai proper with karaoke thai (farang alphabet).

If you do speak Thai proper 95% of the girls (yes, also bargirls) will love it.

Oh, and I would find another girl :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by TheLostShark

When learning Thai you should start with reading and writing. This way youre pronounce is understandable by almost every thai. You cant learn and speak Thai proper with karaoke thai (farang alphabet).

If you do speak Thai proper 95% of the girls (yes, also bargirls) will love it.

Am learning the reading and writing at the same time, that doesn't prevent mispronounciation of vowels or forgetting some of the tone rules when you are very new to it!!

Agree totally about the karaoke thai

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire