IGNORED

British couple fights Bangkok airport extortionists

hippopot

Terrifying story but why no details in the article about how the wallet got into the couple suitcase? Were they in the shop? Did they buy something? Steal something? Or did someone stuff the wallet into their suitcase when they weren't looking.

Actually, just remembered, when I left BKK last week, I was double checked at security. The inspector said to me: Don't you have any perfume in your bag? Bit weird and now I wonder, did someone who looks like me get stuck with some stolen perfume? Whew!!!! Scary.

TERENCE RETURNS ASAP

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Brent

• praf974

• waynedaly

• barmatt

Terrifying story but why no details in the article about how the wallet got into the couple suitcase? Were they in the shop? Did they buy something? Steal something? Or did someone stuff the wallet into their suitcase when they weren't looking.

Actually, just remembered, when I left BKK last week, I was double checked at security. The inspector said to me: Don't you have any perfume in your bag? Bit weird and now I wonder, did someone who looks like me get stuck with some stolen perfume? Whew!!!! Scary.

From reading this article http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2009/06/28/809/ it appears that if you just avoid going into the shop you'll be ok.

Ill just informed BBC and CNN and all news pappers in Sweden . . .

C O L O M B I A 

Yet more thai corruption, jeez they even tryin to get you as soon as you land in the F*****G country now!! It is disgraceful, we all know that police/Thai corruption is rife, but this is ridiculous. They are knackered without the tourist industry, but seem too stupid to realise what they are doing. And we STILL go back!!!!

<!-- isHtml:1 -->

For some Thai's this is getting their act together

To those its not a scam just business

I dont like Bangkok atm and found more disrespect and disdain than ever.

Member since Dec 06.

I emialed the Thai embassy in Canberra with my concern buying duty free at Bkk airport and linked the story, I'm afraid to travel to Thailand now.... Might get scammed or extorted :D

Well the risk of this happening is still well worth the reward of Pattaya. But I could see some other holiday makers giving Thailand a pass cause of this type of stuff.

What an utter abuse of power. You kind of expect it in the seedy downtown areas of Bangkok but not in the airport.

Will be staying well away from the shopping areas. Maybe though they target particular looking people. No wonder they have to sell their wifes and girlfriends to us. I guess at the particular moment in time the chief or whoever wanted a new Toyota or something.

My

Whore Mongering Blog

Sometimes reading some threads on the forums is a bit like reading the tabloid papers, full of bad news and bullshit.

People only often jump on bad news and blow it up out of proportion, not to say if the whole story is true it would obviously be very traumatic and yes it needs getting back to the people who need to stop it happening if indeed it was extortion because things often get exaggerated and mixed up.

My American friend has lived in Thailand for around five years now and has told me some crazy stories involving the police and scams.

But, it's good to know this airport/police scam is unimportant, exaggerated, sensationalized bullshit, and should be of no worry to anyone going to Thailand. :D

My best friend just turned 50 and last year he went to LOS to look for a retirement place. He hoped to find a place in Phuket, which he has visited a dozen times over the years, the last time being a year before the tsunami. What he found there was, in his words, a shambles of what once was a beautiful place. He was shocked at how far the place had fallen and at the kind of crime and corruption taking place.

I mentioned this guy in my own trip abroad thread. He's a security expert. A highly trained martial artist who advises security people all over the world. While in Bangkok and Phuket he was repeatedly a target of pickpockets and scammers, all of which he stopped. Most of his trip he was accompanied by a good friend in the Thai Army, a guy who is highly ranked and he admitted that it was "out of control" and only growing worse. At one point some police tried to threaten my friend, demanding bribe money and all hell broke loose because the guy in the army was there and everyone got into everyone's face. The cops had to back down and fled.

After two weeks my pal said he had seen enough and decided Thailand was no longer the kind of place he wants to take his wife to. Now they are looking elsewhere. Bali is at the top of the current list.

This won't be an isolated incident. As Thailand continues to falter under massive amounts of corruption, foreigners will continue to stay away.

I'm still going at the end of this year (which makes my family crazy), but I am going to be extremely careful and will have the phone number of of my best friend's army contact, just in case something happens.

A suggestion to everybody reading this story: Copy the link to this story,

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6590584.ece

and email it to the Thai Embassy and consulate in your respective country. Ask them if this is what you should expect in Thailand.

Look up the Thai Embassy in your country here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/

They are trying to encourage tourism. Let them know your views.

DocHoliday,

The link to that article does not work. Can you try to put it there again. Thanks.

Drac

Does anyone actually know the facts, did they steel the wallet, ??? ahhh it was in the paper/on the news...........it must be true then..............

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

I don't suppose that news of yet another Thai scam will discourage habitual users of this website from visiting LOS. But tour operators will be taking note - and Thai Tourism authorities say they are trying to encourage the "family" market?? As tourism declines futher, the scams are likely to become nastier and more pervasive.

For this particular scam, the solution is easy enough - stay out of the airport shops. Why would you want to go in there anyway - they are just full of overpriced cr*p. BKK airport is decending to the usual hellish experience of most large airports - just a 3rd rate shopping mall.

On a different subject - the only half way decent bar I found there was the sports bar right at one end. When I was there in May 2009 that was closed and boarded up. So we can't even use achohol to deaden the pain!

:Drunk_Party:

When I read the story it scared the shit out of me. because I was thinking that they would come in the plane and pick anybody for the scam. Since it where all poor good people who wanted to buy some duty free stuff I will walk past all the shops and keep my distance.

It sucks man why would you do something like this ?

Many props for you gusy to let everbody at the airport be as sharp as hell.

I do appreciate it very much

Edited by sapalor

It would be great if everyone decided to avoid Thailand until they got their corrupt house somewhat in order.. but there is far too many addicts for that to happen.

DocHoliday,

The link to that article does not work. Can you try to put it there again. Thanks.

Drac

Drac,

That's strange. I don't know why that is. Here it is again. It seems to be working.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6590584.ece

and this in the Thai paper:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/06/28...al_30106228.php

Edited by DocHoliday

If they were picked up waiting to board A Qantas flight then the flight must have been held up waiting for their baggage to come off. I am sure all the passagengers and especially Qantas would have been real impressed with that. In any of these cases it would be the same. Once they are in duty free the bags are checked in. Probably an hour hold up, what does that cost???

In any decent country mister middleman would have been arrested already. I hope he does time.

The Thai government is out spending a fortune getting more tourists to come, fix the scams, get rid of the dogs and clean the beaches! The people will come

I think always looking like a bum saves me from these scams!

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

I notice ther are some sanctimonious smug remarks about, being careful and not taking risks etc. The whole point about this post is that it could happen to YOU. This was not a case of typical drunken stupidity with a tart in a room as evidenced by some of the twats on this board.

Ive been coming here 20 years and reckon I am pretty street-wise BUT even now I can still be caught out by a new scam (usually with minimal consequences). The fact is that western tourists have dropped drastically and so has the scam income, so the villains are getting desperate and much more in you face. At the rate things are going down, we can expect to see a lot more serious robbery. The Airport is a notorious choke point for any country in the world. Normally the challenge is to get out of the aiport (eg Phillipines - remember how bad that was and how an armed guard was needed to get from there to AC or risk a highway gun point hold up)

IMHO you can expect to see a lot more extortion by police and their cronies. How else will they fill their brown envelopes.

I checked with the ThaiConsul in the uk and showed them the story. I asked if it was considered safe to travel to Thailand.

Their reply was that " Safety could not be guaranteed and that the decision to travel is a personal choice"

NO BULLSHIT

I checked with the ThaiConsul in the uk and showed them the story. I asked if it was considered safe to travel to Thailand.

Their reply was that " Safety could not be guaranteed and that the decision to travel is a personal choice"

NO BULLSHIT

Ummm... mummy says you should stay at home and clean up your room.

C'mon David, you say you are street wise but still want the nanny state to tell you when it's safe to cross the road?

Grow some, eh?

"I don't live in a castle. Just a very big house (with a moat)."

It's for us to have the common sense, and in this case. Don't enter the stores, dont spend your money at the airport and f&%$% them if they can't do business the right way. They will never get another dollar from me at the duty free again and I don't care if they close. More money for the bf. :LMAO1::LOL:

C'mon David, you say you are street wise but still want the nanny state to tell you when it's safe to cross the road?

It's for us to have the common sense, and in this case. Don't enter the stores, dont spend your money at the airport and f&%$% them if they can't do business the right way. They will never get another dollar from me at the duty free again and I don't care if they close.

unquote

Isnt it wonderful how all the barstool pundits have amazing 20-20 hindsight

before this unfortunate incident did you know about the possibility of being set up by the cashier for a shoplifting shakedown

This is a new virus we didnt expect and a dollar to a satang, fuck all has been done about it by the monkeys

Another nail in the coffin, the forthcoming asean conference in Phuket, ISOC emergency powers in a 5km perimeter around the hotel. WTF didnt they hold in a place like Hua Hin, well set up to entertain visiting dignitaries and very secure access control.

Of course, all those empty hotels in fukit need something to boost their image.

what do I know, and nobody gives a pschitt, Phukit

It's for us to have the common sense, and in this case. Don't enter the stores, dont spend your money at the airport and f&%$% them if they can't do business the right way. They will never get another dollar from me at the duty free again and I don't care if they close. More money for the bf. :):)

How is it common sense not to enter what appears to be a legitimate shop in a major airport?

How is it common sense not to enter what appears to be a legitimate shop in a major airport?

While what you say makes perfect sense, the fact it's in Thailand needs to considered. Even one of their recent leaders has warned us :P

"There is nothing under the sun which the Thai police cannot do." Thaksin Shinawatra

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/6924100.stm)

Edited by jasonbalmer