IGNORED

British couple fights Bangkok airport extortionists

hippopot

Bottom line is pay the bribe and and fight it later when your free. In jail for four days is not worth it. Thats the trouble, we don't have many rights against a Thais.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Brent

• praf974

• waynedaly

• barmatt

anyone would think this only happens in Thailand, who knows were they guilty ?, and maybe some of the details have been mixed up, of course there is corruption here, its well known, like only in Thailand, you sure...............

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

My parents want to come to Thailand.

Maybe spend some time in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya.

Reading that story i dont think i could forgive myself if that happened to them.

Imagine this story makes it into a newpaper or the New's on TV?

After reading the article, it reads to me like a 100% extortion scam. The staff in the duty free shop and the horrible little Sri Lankan where clearly in on it. As regards to Thailand seeing more and more corruption and scams over the past year, it seems to be happening all the world over since the economic crisis.

I have emailed this story to Thai Tourism and the The Thai Consulate in Sydney. I hope that coverage of this gets more and more publicity and the perpetrators get the sharp end of Thai justice.

Edited by mbiggs

Sometimes reading some threads on the forums is a bit like reading the tabloid papers, full of bad news and bullshit.

People only often jump on bad news and blow it up out of proportion, not to say if the whole story is true it would obviously be very traumatic and yes it needs getting back to the people who need to stop it happening if indeed it was extortion because things often get exaggerated and mixed up.

Did you hear the story about the guy who had been divorced a few years, lost his house and a good amount of his worldly goods through his divorce which lasted over a year & was very traumatic, almost sending him crazy.

By chance had a holiday trip to Pattaya in his early 40's, had THE time of his life, took a few scams from the baht buses and bar girls on the chin, had a fair amount of luck and no bad times at all, had such a great time, met some cute young girls who were more than willing to spend time with him even though he was past his prime, he knew he had arrived in Heaven.

Still lives here very happily after 5 years, can still go out and have a great night out and do things for the price that you can hardly do anywhere else in the world, enjoys a regular game of Golf, got a few good friends, and would not change his life here for nothing, etc etc, no of course not because people only want to read about the shocking stuff especially from Pattaya.

I recently got into a new travel forum and a guy was saying he his wife and elderly father visited Thailand and a few days in Pattaya and how shocked they were for what they saw, all the old pedo's they said, old guys of 60 odd with hardly girls that looked 20 etc, so I said with all due respect, Pattaya is here mainly for guys like that and not really for you.

I got slaughtered and then as there were many married couples on the forum a load of women mostly fired their bullets at me saying I was defending pedo's and I was probably one etc etc, I was never going to win this argument so left it by saying that single guys come here for the young girlfriend experience and to get away from women like them.

This is the type of people that label Pattaya, most of them have not been here just watched a TV documentary on it, well personally I dont care I live here and am happy to remain doing so and would not liive in thier world for anything, of course happily most of them stay there and I will stay here, needless to say they dont mind their business in their fukless lives and probably spend thier lives making up stupid useless laws and things one shouldnt do cos it aint proper.

so lets get it in perspective, come here, drink eat shag use you common sense, be careful and go home happy and come back and do the same............

PS, did I mention the great climate.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Frightening News... See what the comments below the news from Dave, advise people not to go to Thailand, Would you listen to his advice ? Me ? No, Pattaya is only town I love soooo Much....

another nail in the coffin of thai tourism, however, i would never ever have paid up.

the general and his knights swept through the holy land towards certain victory.........

They should have fought it if they were innocent, why did they pay?

:Jail1:

Yeah!

And I hear that Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy are excellent attorneys there that will win your case before you have an "accident" while locked up!

:D

Edited by SmellyFarang

Perfecting my ability to "let that which does not matter truly slide"

I think that the best advice to give anyone visiting the duty free shops at the airport is to check their bags before leaving the duty free shop. If there is anything in the bag that does not appear on the till recipt, return it to the point of sale immediately. Remember to check inside any handbags purchased, or inside anything that has room to have something else hidden in it. If the staff claim that the item is a promotional freebie, then ask for a written recipt on king power headed paper. If there is any doubt about the issue, return the extra item explaining that some farang have been arrested for shoplifting, and that without proof that the freebie was officially issued, they could wind up in the same boat. This applies to all purchases, ciggies, booze, and all the other souveniers... I've heard of the scam being run with "Bonus" extra ciggies...

Better still, buy anything you want to take home before you get to the airport... It's mostly overpriced crap.

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

I would agree with giving Duty Free a wide berth. More expensive than downtown in any case. We do not know wheter company or just some employees in on the scam but ...............

I think that the best advice to give anyone visiting the duty free shops at the airport is to check their bags before leaving the duty free shop. If there is anything in the bag that does not appear on the till recipt, return it to the point of sale immediately. Remember to check inside any handbags purchased, or inside anything that has room to have something else hidden in it. If the staff claim that the item is a promotional freebie, then ask for a written recipt on king power headed paper. If there is any doubt about the issue, return the extra item explaining that some farang have been arrested for shoplifting, and that without proof that the freebie was officially issued, they could wind up in the same boat. This applies to all purchases, ciggies, booze, and all the other souveniers... I've heard of the scam being run with "Bonus" extra ciggies...

Better still, buy anything you want to take home before you get to the airport... It's mostly overpriced crap.

Good advice.

Its definatly overpriced. I looked at some stuff there last time. It was cheaper in tesco's back home!

Depressing news though. I've heard similar alegations before. Perhaps they picked on the wrong couple this time. Though it does seem all the bad shite is picking up pace the more the country is struggling.

The ship is already sinking and they are still knocking holes in the bottom.....

Edited by hazze

thank god or buddha that I only bought booze from there, which was sealed in a plastic bag so nothing could have been thrown in....I do wish to someday be able and live in Thailand, but certainly not in the Bangkok Hilton! The Thai authorities need to get their act together and start to seriously do something against all those scammers out there! it's getting worse everyday, it's maybe ok you get scammed that the grande Palace is closed and been taken all around BKK shops from the tuk tuk chaps, and it's another thing being scammed and accused of theft and risking to do time in prison unless you don't pay hundred of thousands of baht!!

But really even avoiding the shops doesn't help right? They can just stop you anywhere in the airport and claim you did something and that's that. Probably the best solution is to look like a total bum who wouldn't have the money to pay them.

That's usually rule No.1 on any backpackers checklist.

Thanks for the link, I'll be extra vigalent next time i'm in BKK airport. What a sad end to their holiday. Glad it didnt happen to me, dont even think I could stump up 8k if I wanted to.

Is sex dirty? Only if it's done right.

- Woody Allen

Rarely is the question asked: is our children learning.

- George W Bush

Never drink water, fish fuck in it. Drink beer instead.

- Nice Guy 2010

Not a good story to inspire confidence in your safety when vultures like this are running loose. As far as the Bangkok duty free stores go, I will avoid them in the future, not look or buy anything. In comparison to Sydney or even Saigon in a recent trip, Bangkok is overpriced anyway.

I love going to LOS, but this is the kind of stuff that will influence my returning there.

I got burned with the whole airport fiasco last year and when it was time for my Spring trip I was still concerned about getting screwed again (no pun intended). That's why I went to Cambodia and will be going back there this Fall. It may not have 1000+ girlie bars, but its a whole lot cheaper and there is plenty of fun to be had. :001_Sawasdee:

There are two types of women, those that charge for blow jobs and those that don't. The ones that don't end up costing you far more. ~Charlie Sheen~

babydollsaddict.gif

if this is a true story, then why is the picture in the newsletter PHOTOSHOPPED?

anyone well versed in photoshop can tell the picture of the two people are not real.

I love going to LOS, but this is the kind of stuff that will influence my returning there.

I got burned with the whole airport fiasco last year and when it was time for my Spring trip I was still concerned about getting screwed again (no pun intended). That's why I went to Cambodia and will be going back there this Fall. It may not have 1000+ girlie bars, but its a whole lot cheaper and there is plenty of fun to be had. :)

Same same mate.

I was due to fly home on the 25th of November when the airport got shut down. No flight home until the 10th of December.

I may give Cambodia a go next time.

Ive been going to thailand from australia for about 8 years, sometimes staying for a month at a time, usually.

I myself have been on the receiving end of many scams, just the usual ones nothing big. The usual scams like the taxi's in bkk refusing to turn on their meters.....the took tooks wanting to take you to every gem, suit and newly open warehouse......that has been open for 80 years.......that was then.......i now know most thai scams but new ones keep coming up like the airport scam.

I work in a government related 'justice' type area..I have been in certain areas of bkk that most of you wont go. Ive been with fellow work mates who i know i can count on and trust..

Holding my tongue and not saying anything to my friend he turned to me and said "how do you feel, i dont feel safe here i feel like we are being watched and followed" i had the same thoughts and we were out of there moments later..

I have also seen the following scams.....the thai police pulling over my and numerous other modes of transport ive been on for a bribe......Including one day a local taxi i was in being pulled over by police for leaving a 'area' for a bribe.

Foreigners on motor bikes being pulled over for doing nothing wrong for a bribe.In most occasions i have gone to their aid at least gather around the rider and police as this brings the 'bribe' out in the open and shame to the police i urge all foreigners who see others being involved in scams to gather around if nothing but for moral support.

I havnt been to Phuket since the terrible sunami there.....but i was again on the receiving end of bar girl scams....i found this place to be the worst for such scams.

From my shower 1 night looking at the reflection in the mirror i noticed my bar fine rummaging through my bag......I now lock up completely everything.........and yes i ejected her faster than squatting a fly......

The other old scam for a bar fine is i have to go, friend locked out of unit, mother sick, favourite cow died or any other rotten excuse they could possible think of........

I found that the Phuket girls then.....they may have changed since then were the scammiest of them all....prefereing to get as many foreigners in 1 nite for short scam rip offs.......u think about it promise to go with 1 foreigner for a certain amout...then try 1 of there scams and then try to extort as much money as they can and then do it as many times as they can in 1 nite they must have been making a fortune.........

I have had little hassles elsewhere in thailand but not as much as Phuket.....wether the girls are definate scammers down there or wether they are being controlled by mafia., or owe lots of money....something was/is going on........

The usual visitors to thailand would have witnessed or been on the receiving end of the above scams.......

Reading the article 1 of the comments actually many i totally agree with here is a sample.

"Living in Thailand near Bangkok and I can tell you that hiding behind the 'Thai Smile' is resentment, a complete disregard for you as a person, and almost an attitude of hate towards anyone foreign.

The Thais see you as a customer ONLY and the smiles continue only as long as the money does."

I love thailand and will keep going back only until it is too unbearable, or to many scams or too many bad memories......i do like the place....

BUT let this be a very true warning to those that havent been do you research look up the scams and learn from what you read from experience.

Thailand is a very beutiful place and i have met some beautiful, honest, helpful people there.......

But there are other times ive been scammed, felt threatened, ripped off.........just be very very wary

I see this has made it to the national Thai newspapers now

Wonder if any good will now come now its there for all to see (probably not)

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/06/28/national/national_30106228.php

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

Top idea however.........

have you ever tried to talk english and or common sense to thais? it doesnt work.......english as well as common sense......isnt common in thailand.....or any where else for that matter.......especially to people who are actually IN on the scam........