Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

How often do you go to the gym, especially before coming to pattaya?

wengweng

I workout at home 6 days a week, pull-legs-push-rest-pull-legs-push
my push workouts are 90 min, pull 1 hour and legs only 30 minutes.

190 cm, 86 kg, 12% bodyfat, try to take close to 200g protein per day but it's closer to 150g most days, not that big of a eater. 

Edited by Magic040
  • Like 2

I have to add one point here. Threads like this tends to go in many directions with many different people with different level and backgrounds and can get overly complicated for a beginner.

As a beginner it's important to keep it simple and trackable. The most important factor is to have progress. As a beginner you should aim to see improvement from week to week. And therefor it's also important to keep at a program and keep the same exercises so you can easily see if you are either adding weight or more reps. That's why programs such as "Starting Strength" or 5x5 which only does 3 exercises pr day and increases weight every week is so effective in the beginning. I might not advocate this for a beginner at 50 year old as it's more for a 20-30 yo beginner. But you should still keep the program simple with only a few (3-5) exercises pr day and a simple sets/reps regime (i.e. 3x12). If you have progress and don't get injuries then you are doing it correct, you do not need to change it before you stale at the progress.

I always recommend to start very easy with low weights. Much better to have a lot in reserve in the beginning. As long as you increase the weights every week or even every workout you will soon catch up anyway and then been able to learn the exercises with less risk before you are hitting your maximum weights.

Does anyone here work out at the Muscle Factory? I saw that there is no AC - does it get unmanageably hot in the afternoons or is it reasonable to still get a decent workout in midday? 

One other thing wengweng, i dont know your circumstances and wether its to lose weight or tone up, but some people go to a gym and when they dont see immediate results they get disillusioned and give it up as a bad job, you have to be disciplined and stick at it, especially through the winter months when you'd rather be at home and you really cant be arsed.

Quite a few years ago now i went to a gym purely because my mates went and i wanted to see what i was missing, after a few weeks i actually began to see a difference, not huge but a differece all the same and i kept on going, there will be times when you might have to miss a session or two but just stick at it and you should see results in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/09/2023 at 21:47, JakeTX said:

Does anyone here work out at the Muscle Factory? I saw that there is no AC - does it get unmanageably hot in the afternoons or is it reasonable to still get a decent workout in midday? 

I do and it’s best avoided in April May, but it’s fine any other time. There’s a nice breeze from the fans and the roof is water cooled 

On 29/09/2023 at 10:26, Gonetothedogs said:

I do and it’s best avoided in April May, but it’s fine any other time. There’s a nice breeze from the fans and the roof is water cooled 

Thanks for the info. What time of day do all the hotties workout? I’m assuming probably mid day / early afternoon before work?

Try daily but at least every second day working out. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’m going to see the physio tomorrow to see about a pain that comes n goes in my right hip/groin. I wanna get back into the gym with a passion 

will be 50 in a couple of years. Would be amazing to be looking great 

I hope he can pin point what it is (wish me luck)

I go 3 times a week, both at home and in Pattaya. Usually full body strength training and some cardio. I'm too lazy to follow a pre-made programme

• Like 1

About 3 times a week, some weeks more, a few weeks less. Got a place with a gym when I come so should have no problem staying in shape, though my aim is to put on weight

• Like 2

I go every week 3-4 times per week to gym. By my last trip totally 4 weeks i was just lazy on the last week 🤪

Great thread, with lots of good info. Adding my 2 cents:

1. Strength and cardio: For cardio, its mostly an exercise bike, and for strength, I try to get upper body, lower body and full body in during the week. Personally, I do a little dynamic stretching warmup to make sure the body is prepped, and then do a static stretch after the routine. I keep the weights on the lower side, as the goal is to  prevent muscle loss, and I am not interested in bulking up. Stretching has been super important for me, and helps prevent injury as we age. Yoga is also fantastic, and I do it in place of stretching.

2. Eating healthy: Avoiding sweets, fried foods and eating fresh with a variety of vegetables & fruits. Avoid stale food. Add a big salad for lunch. Minimize drinking and avoid it if you can. Stay hydrated with just water or natural coconut water. Eat nuts for snack time and eat a variety - almonds, peanuts, cashews, walnuts etc.

3. Sleep:  Try to sleep on a circadian rhythm (wake up early and don't sleep too late) and have a consistent sleep schedule. Create a sleep time routine and try to get 7-8 hours consistently.

4. Walking: In addition to exercise, add at least a 30 min walk early in the morning a few days a week before it gets hot. Walking outdoors from everything I have read continues to be a really good exercise, and you also get outside with fresh air.

5. Supplements:  Do a full physical and identify areas you need to supplement either naturally or through pills. Each person is different, and you can add what you need. Most common is a multi vitamin pill a day as we age. This will also let you know if you need to add protein supplements.

6. Meditation: This may not seem important, but just closing your eyes and shutting out everything helps your body relax. It takes a bit of getting used to, but can be a good addition to your exercise routine.

Hope this helps. A simple weighing machine where you can check your weight daily when you wake up will help you stay on top of your eating habits. Best wishes on your fitness journey.

I do cardio three times a week and lift twice a week, but I recently just started again after a 6 month injury. Staying in shape is healthy, boosts my confidence, and feels great. Just to fill up my shirts in the arms and chest area is satisfying, especially when I used to be a stringbean.  Even when I go to Pattaya I still want to hit the gym before I set out for the day tbh.

On 28/10/2023 at 00:19, michaelduni said:

Great thread, with lots of good info. Adding my 2 cents:

1. Strength and cardio: For cardio, its mostly an exercise bike, and for strength, I try to get upper body, lower body and full body in during the week. Personally, I do a little dynamic stretching warmup to make sure the body is prepped, and then do a static stretch after the routine. I keep the weights on the lower side, as the goal is to  prevent muscle loss, and I am not interested in bulking up. Stretching has been super important for me, and helps prevent injury as we age. Yoga is also fantastic, and I do it in place of stretching.

2. Eating healthy: Avoiding sweets, fried foods and eating fresh with a variety of vegetables & fruits. Avoid stale food. Add a big salad for lunch. Minimize drinking and avoid it if you can. Stay hydrated with just water or natural coconut water. Eat nuts for snack time and eat a variety - almonds, peanuts, cashews, walnuts etc.

3. Sleep:  Try to sleep on a circadian rhythm (wake up early and don't sleep too late) and have a consistent sleep schedule. Create a sleep time routine and try to get 7-8 hours consistently.

4. Walking: In addition to exercise, add at least a 30 min walk early in the morning a few days a week before it gets hot. Walking outdoors from everything I have read continues to be a really good exercise, and you also get outside with fresh air.

5. Supplements:  Do a full physical and identify areas you need to supplement either naturally or through pills. Each person is different, and you can add what you need. Most common is a multi vitamin pill a day as we age. This will also let you know if you need to add protein supplements.

6. Meditation: This may not seem important, but just closing your eyes and shutting out everything helps your body relax. It takes a bit of getting used to, but can be a good addition to your exercise routine.

Hope this helps. A simple weighing machine where you can check your weight daily when you wake up will help you stay on top of your eating habits. Best wishes on your fitness journey.

Love these tips, when I got injured it was killing me and walking was recommended. I was used to jogging and benching so I initially saw this as weak, but I grew to like it. Easier on the body and though not as intense, I did lose weight walking at least 3 miles a day. Meditation is great as well. My mind is very busy in part to work so I'm really trying to get better at this to improve my mental health.

• Like 2

I am working out 3 times a week. Always do upper body full body workout, but thats just because i recently started working out again after a long break. In the off days i sometimes go on the treadmill. I take creatine and protein.

I mainly do this to get back in shape as i gained a bit of fat during lockdown that i want to get rid of

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I started boxing recently to up my cardio  2 times a week and its really helped, plus I can't stand running machines something about them just seems incredibly boring and feels like actual work than exercise.

I weigh train twice a week and mainly do core exercises Squat, deadlift and bench.  I try and keep in decent shape as it not only makes me look younger but also helps me go for longer in the bedroom from a cardio perspective.  Although mongering must be good cardio replacement then I get plenty of cardio in Pattaya 🤣

On 28/09/2023 at 02:44, Casadelpapei said:

First congratulations it is all about motivation and discipline 

if i were you i would pay a coach at the gym to make a program for gym and food.

I have been going to the gym in Pattaya for 9 months now. I have had a person trainer the entire time and tomorrow will buy another package of 40 lessons. My trainer studied physical science for 4 years but his diet is shit mostly.

This year is the first time in my life I have been to a gym, I'm 69 years old. Lately the girls always seem to mention how strong I am. I'm turning from the skinny guy at the beach into having bigger muscles than at anytime in my life.

I go 3 times a week. My recovery time is probably slower than younger guys but I'm getting much better and weights rising significantly every week. I think for many, at any age or shape, the gym is a life saver.

Most importantly, as an older guy I don't get the shot away as easily but now I have the stamina to  stay on the job until i'm done.

• Like 2

On 27/09/2023 at 14:36, wengweng said:

I will be coming to Pattaya  next year in July, and so I have joined a gym, and I am now 51 so I want to get fit and keep that way as long as I can in life.  How many days a week do you go to the gym? and do you follow a set routine? 

Do you concentrate on upper body reps one day and then lower body on another, and  do  full body workout on another day?  How many days rest do you take now? 

I bought a protein powder shake called OPTIMUM  NUTRITION GOLD  STANDARD 100 % PERCENT WHEY. Do  you take this stuff or just stick to natural food? appreciate any info, especially from older  gym users.🏋️🏋️♂️🏋️♀️

It's a daily routine and it's because I'm 65 and want to be in better shape

On 28/09/2023 at 02:36, wengweng said:

I will be coming to Pattaya  next year in July, and so I have joined a gym, and I am now 51 so I want to get fit and keep that way as long as I can in life.  How many days a week do you go to the gym? and do you follow a set routine? 

Do you concentrate on upper body reps one day and then lower body on another, and  do  full body workout on another day?  How many days rest do you take now? 

I bought a protein powder shake called OPTIMUM  NUTRITION GOLD  STANDARD 100 % PERCENT WHEY. Do  you take this stuff or just stick to natural food? appreciate any info, especially from older  gym users.🏋️🏋️♂️🏋️♀️

From what I have learned it's important for older people to get more protein. My trainer wants me to drink whey protein powder twice a day. I find it a bit much but do drink one a day these days. I add NAC, glycine and creatine. Highly recommended that you add creatine to your potein shakes.

Unless you're a really heavy meat eater you simply don't get sufficient protein in a day without drinking whey powder. I don't eat red meat but do eat plenty of fish, chicken and eggs.

My trainer sets a program for me which involves training chest and arms one day, back and shoulders 2 days later and legs the next, I go 3 times a week. I'm supposed to do cardio on other days but I find the treadmill boring. I walk a lot and get plenty of cardio from visiting cardio machines.

"Pump class" is good. 45 minute session to music of exercises and light weights. You start light and then increase the weight loads as you get fitter and stronger.

Alternate days, three times a week is a good routine. My own program is twice a week plus two sessions of water aerobics/swimming.

Walk, not drive, whenever practical. One day a week off.

4 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

"Pump class" is good. 45 minute session to music of exercises and light weights. You start light and then increase the weight loads as you get fitter and stronger.

On 25/10/2023 at 04:21, tossiam said:

I go 3 times a week, both at home and in Pattaya. Usually full body strength training and some cardio. I'm too lazy to follow a pre-made programme

You can easily do an exercise at home and it's up to you how long you do it.

I do it for 90 seconds per cycle as a warmup to a workout

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/09/2023 at 20:36, wengweng said:

How's it going wengweng? This is an interesting thread. I was 60 this year and am also going to Pattaya in July next year. 

On 28/09/2023 at 02:36, wengweng said:

There have been many responses with great recommendations. I'm not sure where you are with fitness (new/on and off).

I've been on and off last 15 years (55). I'll keep it short. Everything works. Pick something 5 days a week and do it, weights and 30 minutes cardio. 

Consistency is the magic part. If just starting again, baby steps but 30 minutes weights at least and work on your running or whatever cardio, it's very important 

Diet has to change, get clean, don't nuke it, but at least be 85 percent clean (google it), means meat and veggies with water basically. Your not gonna lose anything without the diet clean up, fact.

I had a desk job the last 6 years and got fat (42 inch waist). I was not liking what I saw, couldn't run without stopping and easily winded. I knew what to do, but to lazy to make the change. Because this stuff isn't easy as you get older lol.

Now, 36 inch waist, can run right after the weights, feel great, like what I see. I didn't get this completed in a year. The last 2 inches came off after I started living here ( because of all the walking).

If your moving here, you will most likely lose another 15 pounds just because of the lifestyle change (not driving as much, not eating as much). Assuming you continue to eat clean and workout. Just party once a week if you must.

In my opinion supplements are useless, leave them alone. Protein powder is ok for replacing a meal if your really hard-core dieting. Don't believe what the youtubers are saying, ya don't need to count calories and carbs, just make the change and it will work. Unless your entering a competition and have a trainer lol.

During the pandemic I put a gym in my house. I'm not saying to put a gym in, I'm just showing you the stuff to build your routine with at your gym locally or wherever.

Below is the pic I used to sell it. You can see it was the last thing I got rid of before moving here. The only way is diet change and weekly consistency of 5 days lifting weights in my opinion.

20230429_225715.thumb.jpg.197d07325a7078510f99678ef17b2b7b.jpg

Lol, I just noticed how old this thread was. Oh well, I think fitness is important to enjoy your time here. 

Edited by Nanaman