Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Overstayed 1 day

herim22

2 hours ago, Tattie said:

I have done it with British and American passports and had no issues. For the last 5 years I have favored the US passport as several people have told me that the British embassy is useless in the event you have problems need require consular assistance.

Damn straight - I had both passports stolen once (not in Thailand - in the netherlands) and the Irish consulate had an emergency travel document in 3 hours. 3 days if I had waited for the UK mob to do their thing

• 1 month later...
On 10/08/2023 at 07:09, fostraswift said:

you are allowed 1 extra day without punishment

Not my experience,

last trip  I was at Jomtien immigration the morning of my 61st day, to do a 30 day extension, they fined me and then gave me the additional 30 days, my total stay was 89 days

If God hadn't meant you to eat it , he wouldn't have made it look like a taco !

I'd rather burn out than rust away !

1 hour ago, englishman said:

Not my experience,

last trip  I was at Jomtien immigration the morning of my 61st day, to do a 30 day extension, they fined me and then gave me the additional 30 days, my total stay was 89 days

It seems to be a different situation; at the airport, leaving the country vs. at immigration asking for an extension. In the first case, maybe it was an error in counting the days. Maybe in the second, immigration looked at it as someone had two months to get their extension sorted but still managed to overstay.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

1 hour ago, forqalso said:

It seems to be a different situation; at the airport, leaving the country vs. at immigration asking for an extension. In the first case, maybe it was an error in counting the days. Maybe in the second, immigration looked at it as someone had two months to get their extension sorted but still managed to overstay.

No  I didn't have 2 months to get an extension sorted , they won't entertain granting an extension until the last few days of your visa... I've seen them many times turn people away that were as little a week or less from their visa expiring. In any case if your trying to get a full 90 days it has to be done at the last minute..My visa actually expired at midnight and i was in immigration at 08.00 for my extension...So I was 8 hours over, pretty harsh to fine me...guy before me was in the same boat but they would not listen to any arguments, So I didn't bother.

Now if you think about it, I expired at midnight on the 19th but my extension was dated starting the 20th ..so was I really even over ?... and my total visit was 89 days.

Paid the fine said thank you and went for breakfast ... Lesson learned

59 minutes ago, englishman said:

No  I didn't have 2 months to get an extension sorted , they won't entertain granting an extension until the last few days of your visa... I've seen them many times turn people away that were as little a week or less from their visa expiring. In any case if your trying to get a full 90 days it has to be done at the last minute..My visa actually expired at midnight and i was in immigration at 08.00 for my extension...So I was 8 hours over, pretty harsh to fine me...guy before me was in the same boat but they would not listen to any arguments, So I didn't bother.

Now if you think about it, I expired at midnight on the 19th but my extension was dated starting the 20th ..so was I really even over ?... and my total visit was 89 days.

Paid the fine said thank you and went for breakfast ... Lesson learned

So, you had a week or so to handle it and not sixty days. The point is, you weren’t at the airport leaving. Getting an extension with an expired visa is obviously a different situation than an eight hour overstay at departures.
Does the extension normally start the day it is applied for or is it added to the end of the original 60 days? If it expired on Sunday would they have given you a break or just told you they were open the Friday before?

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

5 hours ago, englishman said:

Not my experience,

So you knew you were late then ? Why didn't you go the day before ?

Or did you miscount and thought it was actually day 60 ?

In any case I think forqalso is right. Immigration office vs. airport and leaving the country.

3 hours ago, forqalso said:

Agreed. The extension starts when the previous period ends, which makes one wonder why the Thais won't let you extend pretty much at any time before permission to stay expires instead of insisting you come into the office just a few days before expiration - then again, TiT.

I think you're right about the issue being airport vs. I.O.

At the airport, you're on your way out of the country. 1 day ? No biggie; off ya go. But at an I.O., where you're extending your stay ? Shoulda paid attention. Dunno1.gif

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

8 hours ago, englishman said:

Not my experience,

at the airport it is free 1 day

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

8 hours ago, englishman said:

Not my experience,

The 1 days grace is really only intended for people who have checked in before midnight, but are flying after midnight.

My E visa expired midnight on the 27th of March and I was in there on the 28th of march..my extension was dated starting the 28th ...So did I really over stay ??

On 10/08/2023 at 17:05, herim22 said:

Last week I left thailand after 31 days which ment I overstayed 1 day, they wrote something in my passport but its in thai and I dont know what it says. I went to immigration just before boarding the flight and told a female immigration officer that I needed to pay for 1 day overstay, she took  the passport - looked at it and said there is no charge as we allow 1 day grace for overstay. My question is what did they write in the passport and will it affect me on my next visit? I also have a us passport so should I enter Thailand next time with it or will the name pop up on their system and cause more problems? Thanks in Advance

Herim22

You wont have a problem. I once overstayed 3 weeks (not my fault and impossible to extend as I had already had one extension but that's another story). Paid the fine at the airport, 500 baht a day, and asked if I would have a problem when I next came back - " no sir because you have paid the fine". Sure enough went back multiple times after that and never had an issue.

January 2022 I had to have a covid test to return to the UK, positive (no symptoms) incarcerated in a hospital for 8 days and first flight out upon release saw me fined 4000baht due to overstaying original visa, cnuts! Paid the fine and have had seven return trips since.

No questions, no hassle. 

9 hours ago, englishman said:

My E visa expired midnight on the 27th of March and I was in there on the 28th of march..my extension was dated starting the 28th ...So did I really over stay ??

Yes.

You must leave by the expiration date (& time), whether it's explicitly stated on the "permission to stay (visa)" or whether you simply count the days yourself.

Any day/date you're in the country counts. So, arrive on the 10th and leave on the 20th and that's 11 days.

Your visa expired on the 27th and you were still there on the 28th, not yet with another valid "permission to stay"; so yes, aiui, that's an overstay.

Edited by sulu

13 hours ago, RomaBob said:

January 2022 I had to have a covid test to return to the UK, positive (no symptoms) incarcerated in a hospital for 8 days and first flight out upon release saw me fined 4000baht due to overstaying original visa, cnuts! Paid the fine and have had seven return trips since.

No questions, no hassle. 

Hospital should have sorted out an extension for you.

3 hours ago, Leo_Bia said:

Hospital should have sorted out an extension for you.

I told them, asked them (the doctor who would come online to speak to me) to contact Immigration, they said they did and to show the release papers at the airport. Airport Immigration didn't give a f*ck, sign here, hand over 4,000bht and f*ck off was the attitude. I was not the only person sat at the airport immigration being fined for the same 'offence'.

Upon arrival home I took the time to email various people/departments in the Thai Embassy London, the cnuts didn't even have the decency to acknowledge the email.

Only in Thailand?

My last trip,because of my so many Visa Exempt arrivals (from Australia) 5 in total for a year,the immigration girl questioned me about why i come here so much,and pressed a yellow button in her booth,in under 30 seconds a senior Female official arrived and asked me the same question,she said next time i arrive i need a Tourist visa as we need documents about me,she told me my passport was now flagged and no more Visa exempt arrivals,she asked me for my return flight details,i showed her and she said this is for 31 days.( i thought it was 30 days when i booked)..are you planning on overstaying? my mouth was opening and closing like a goldfish at this stage,i told her no i would change it asap and she waved me through

To change my date with the airline for one day cost me $660 AUD (it was Biz class) i am now arriving on the 26th this month with a tourist visa (what a hassle to get) for the first time in over 30yrs of travelling there.

For a heads up, i was told by a Visa agent in Pattaya to never get in a queue where there is a female immigration officer,he said the Thai men dont seem to care

8 hours ago, CamelToe said:

My last trip,because of my so many Visa Exempt arrivals (from Australia) 5 in total for a year,the immigration girl questioned me about why i come here so much,and pressed a yellow button in her booth,in under 30 seconds a senior Female official arrived and asked me the same question,she said next time i arrive i need a Tourist visa as we need documents about me,she told me my passport was now flagged and no more Visa exempt arrivals,she asked me for my return flight details,i showed her and she said this is for 31 days.( i thought it was 30 days when i booked)..are you planning on overstaying? my mouth was opening and closing like a goldfish at this stage,i told her no i would change it asap and she waved me through

To change my date with the airline for one day cost me $660 AUD (it was Biz class) i am now arriving on the 26th this month with a tourist visa (what a hassle to get) for the first time in over 30yrs of travelling there.

For a heads up, i was told by a Visa agent in Pattaya to never get in a queue where there is a female immigration officer,he said the Thai men dont seem to care

Couldn't you have went to an immigration office and got a 7 day extension for 1900 baht instead of paying $660 to change your return flight?

Edited by thegrogmonster

It was an option but i couldnt be bothered doing that for one day also i believe i would get fined about 2000 for not filling in my TM30 form as well as i stay in my own condo and dont report,that happened last time i applied for an extension

1 hour ago, CamelToe said:

It was an option but i couldnt be bothered doing that for one day also i believe i would get fined about 2000 for not filling in my TM30 form as well as i stay in my own condo and dont report,that happened last time i applied for an extension

Hmmmmmm, let me see now,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thinking.gif

BAHT.jpg.6f40a3c0ed43e61435841f7a3d1f69b6.jpg

Nahhhhh. Can't be bothered.:SoWhat1:

I always wonder why so many people on here cannot count up to 30  ?   :)

Or is it more of  a case of just ignoring the rules perhaps  ?

My flight home leaves between 1-2am, & I always make sure that day is my 30th day, even though I'm only in Thailand for a couple of hours  :)

57 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

I must admit, I have asked myself this question, more then once 😐

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

My flight home leaves between 1-2am, & I always make sure that day is my 30th day, even though I'm only in Thailand for a couple of hours  :)

Just now, Leo_Bia said:

I must admit, I have asked myself this question, more then once 😐

It’s usually because of the (some would say strange) way Thai Immigration counts days.

If we were booking a 7-day holiday and leaving on a Saturday then we’d come home on a Saturday as well. That’s pretty universal with hotels etc etc. Yet by Thai Immigration’s method of counting we’d be coming home on the Friday.

If people aren’t familiar with this then it’s a natural mistake to make.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

On 14/10/2023 at 16:06, RomaBob said:

Upon arrival home I took the time to email various people/departments in the Thai Embassy London, the cnuts didn't even have the decency to acknowledge the email

Sad. But embassies (under the ministry of foreign affairs) don't have anything to do with it. Immigration is part of the royal Thai police. Your beef here is with the hospital who are either incompetent or straight up lied to you. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

5 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

In my case I book my flights using a formula of 62 days +/- 3 days.  The 62 is because USUALLY the time I depart late in the evening and arrival early AM 2 calendar days later it ends up being 60 days.  However I get the best flights and prices based on the +/- 3 days search and if it means 61 nights in Thailand so be it.  Pretty sure my 2024 trip might be 61 need to check but do not care if it is.

Yeah I just checked.  It would have been 60 days but leap year fucked me.  LOL. 

Edited by madmike

11 hours ago, sulu said:

Hmmmmmm, let me see now,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thinking.gif

BAHT.jpg.6f40a3c0ed43e61435841f7a3d1f69b6.jpg

Nahhhhh. Can't be bothered.:SoWhat1:

Yes i could not be bothered

6 hours ago, CamelToe said:

Yes i could not be bothered

"To change my date with the airline for one day cost me $660 AUD (it was Biz class) i am now arriving on the 26th this month with a tourist visa (what a hassle to get) for the first time in over 30yrs of travelling there."

Guess I misread your post. Sounded to me like you were annoyed about it.

Wish I had that kind of ca$h to not be bothered by.

Good on ya mate !!! 👍

BTW, don't most airlines have significantly more lenient change policies on Business Class ? I mean paying triple the economy rate should allow for something other than a larger seat. :wacko: