Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Overstayed 1 day

herim22

Last week I left thailand after 31 days which ment I overstayed 1 day, they wrote something in my passport but its in thai and I dont know what it says. I went to immigration just before boarding the flight and told a female immigration officer that I needed to pay for 1 day overstay, she took  the passport - looked at it and said there is no charge as we allow 1 day grace for overstay. My question is what did they write in the passport and will it affect me on my next visit? I also have a us passport so should I enter Thailand next time with it or will the name pop up on their system and cause more problems? Thanks in Advance

Herim22

Ive done this before, he just wrote stayed 31 days

you are allowed 1 extra day without punishment😀

• Like 3

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

1 hour ago, herim22 said:

My question is what did they write in the passport and will it affect me on my next visit? I also have a us passport so should I enter Thailand next time with it or will the name pop up on their system and cause more problems?

It says you were overstay.

Its not a problem, and nothing to worry about, but best not to make a habit of it.

Only potential issues are 1. You might not be able to ever get a Thai Elite visa. And 2. Some fast track services, if not all, are not available with an overstay in ones history. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess how it might affect the immigration officer evaluation when you enter. If you're an occasional visitor (few short times (...) a year) it probably won't matter at all. 

But I would still maintain, for casual readers, don't overstay if it can be avoided. 

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, herim22 said:

My question is what did they write in the passport and will it affect me on my next visit? I also have a us passport so should I enter Thailand next time with it or will the name pop up on their system and cause more problems?

Interesting part this. They have facial recognition cameras so presumably they would link. I have UK and Ireland passport and was contemplating entering Thailand on my Irish one next time just to see what happens. I assume they will say "Why not use other passport?" and have a pop because they are bored. 

Anyone done this before? 

Had a 1 day overstay in the past about 12 years ago. Didn't have to pay and didn't had any effect for future visits

I had overstay in 2019 one day and four days while Covid when i took the reputation flight to Germany. No fees at all, but on this four days overstay , they write something in my passport in thai. But on my entry in January they didn't mention anything.

Edited by Horndog85

I was 1 day over in July 2023

Asked to go to the side at Immigration ,and another officer stamped my passport

No problems ,nothing said , no annotation to passport

46 minutes ago, Hamchang said:

Anyone done this before? 

I have two passports too and only very occasionally will they ask "have you another passport".  I just answer yes and there is no further comment, never asked why I switched from one to another!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kd_traveller said:

I have two passports too and only very occasionally will they ask "have you another passport".  I just answer yes and there is no further comment, never asked why I switched from one to another!

+1. Had 2 passports for the past + 20 years of my career and been asked by IM maybe once or twice if I hold a second. No drama, just a kind control question but had I said no it would likely be a trip to secondary. 

I went through immigration 00.27 with a 1 day 27 min overstay.   Taken to the counter and charged 2 days overstay. 1000bht.   Paid and asked if it would affect my trip in three months time. I was replied with a smile and "no worry".

I am slightly miffed that they charged the 1000bht when the trip was booked in a period of 45 day visa exempt and that they changed the rules in between, but know far better than to question the immigration officers.

This is a timely post for me. For my next visit I land in Bangkok on the 24th September and fly back from Bangkok 24th October. So my passport will have 23rd October with the entry stamp. I wrongly thought it was 30 nights for a visa exemption. So like the OP I will overstay one day.

I'm happy to pay the overstay penalty if asked. But would this cause me problems for future entries?

No big deal.  I overstayed 3 days last trip.  I think they are happy to take the money at the airport.  While I was paying I asked if this would be a problem coming back and big grin and "No Problem". 

Might be an issue if you do it every time but one time one day?  No one cares.

3 hours ago, Mstn2014 said:

I went through immigration 00.27 with a 1 day 27 min overstay. 

I am not sure about now, but definitely before the rule was, it was down to when your flight took off, not when you pass through immigration.

Its the reason that one day is free, for people who check in before midnight but fly after midnight.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/08/2023 at 17:31, madmike said:

No big deal.  I overstayed 3 days last trip.  I think they are happy to take the money at the airport.  While I was paying I asked if this would be a problem coming back and big grin and "No Problem". 

Might be an issue if you do it every time but one time one day?  No one cares.

Thank you for the reassurance

• 2 weeks later...

I am seeing a lot of electronic this and that nowadays. Already did the e-visa thing - a bit time-consuming but easy enough. And saved me the 200 miles of driving and roughly 6 hours of driving time it took previously to get down to the Miami Consulate twice to get a visa.

Just found out one can extend a stay via the 'net even though one must go to immigration to pay and get the PP stamp. Should save a lot of time since the majority of the time spent was waiting while they checked,,,,,,, whatever it was they checked, before paying and getting the passport stamped.

I'm hoping now, it's just, show up, present your electronically assigned receipt number, pay (if not already done online), get PP stamped, and out you go.

Also saw electronic "Overstay" instructions. I mistakenly thought I was going to be there for 91 days but double-checked and it's 89. <--- That's what led me here. :D

• Like 1

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

I've overstayed one time, and never got in any trouble. 
They did write something in the passport, but the immigration did not say anything.
I still get e-visa approved and can still enter without visa.

Worth to keep in mind:
In my case, I landed in Bangkok in 6AM. When I entered without visa, they only gave me 29 days, since I started the traveling the day before.
That's what throw me off guard.

It's not worth overstaying. You can get in serious trouble if you get stopped by police. Even if you are stopped in a roadblock heading to the airport.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, komplot said:

When I entered without visa, they only gave me 29 days

It’s 30 days BUT the Thais count both the day of arrival and the day of departure, hence the confusion. You can’t just count forward 30 days.

Think of it as building a fence. You have 29 fence panels so you need 30 fence posts. Thais count the posts not the panels. :)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

32 minutes ago, davidge said:

It’s 30 days BUT the Thais count both the day of arrival and the day of departure, hence the confusion. You can’t just count forward 30 days.

Think of it as building a fence. You have 29 fence panels so you need 30 fence posts. Thais count the posts not the panels. :)

Most people don't understand this and I suspect this is why they do the first day OS no charge. People tend to think of stamps in Thailand like a hotel room. Arrive 11Th, leave 12th, that's 1 day. But actually its 2 days. 

On 10/08/2023 at 12:05, herim22 said:

Last week I left thailand after 31 days which ment I overstayed 1 day, they wrote something in my passport but its in thai and I dont know what it says. I went to immigration just before boarding the flight and told a female immigration officer that I needed to pay for 1 day overstay, she took  the passport - looked at it and said there is no charge as we allow 1 day grace for overstay. My question is what did they write in the passport and will it affect me on my next visit? I also have a us passport so should I enter Thailand next time with it or will the name pop up on their system and cause more problems? Thanks in Advance

Herim22

Very good question, i have same problem for december 

They wrote, get the gallows ready. 

I'd ask one of the thousands of Thais who aren't immigration agents what it actually says once I go through. 

It's more likely to say another farang who cannot count than an indictment. 

On 10/08/2023 at 06:46, Hamchang said:

Interesting part this. They have facial recognition cameras so presumably they would link. I have UK and Ireland passport and was contemplating entering Thailand on my Irish one next time just to see what happens. I assume they will say "Why not use other passport?" and have a pop because they are bored. 

Anyone done this before? 

I have done it with British and American passports and had no issues. For the last 5 years I have favored the US passport as several people have told me that the British embassy is useless in the event you have problems need require consular assistance.