Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

A quick update on some TAXIS, May 2023

delray

Nams - I used Nams for the airport pick up and transfer to Pattaya.  On time and service with a smile. 1200 plus tip for a medium sedan inc tolls (on the day she supplied a bigger, nicer car than ordered at no extra cost). I like Nams, the drivers have always been nice and don't drive like nut jobs.

Cherry - I used Cherry taxis for the run up to Bangkok, Sukhumvit area. 1300 for a Camry inc tolls. I've used Cherry before and always on time. In fact the drivers always seem to turn up half an hour early, usually while you're in the shower and only half packed. Same again this time... better early than half an hour late I suppose.

Mr T - I've used Mr T a few times but not since covid, however, I noted that he is no longer welcome at the Areca Lodge. There is mention of this in the guest info pack in their rooms. I never had a problem with Mr T so I've no idea what went wrong there. Perhaps someone can expand on this?

Bolt - I used bolt a few times to move around Pattaya and also to get to the airport from Sukhumvit. I like Bolt. It's cheap and easy. Just make sure you're standing somewhere obvious where the driver can find you..... I think he's just heading for a dot on his phone.
Also, I've found that when using it to get from Sukhumvit to the airport you need to factor in a 15 minute wait for the car to arrive. Its almost easier to just get a taxi if there's one nearby. Unfortunately, my hotel in Bangkok is plagued with taxi touts that laze around outside and who refuse to put their meter on. They try to charge extortionate fares and act aggressively to any meter taxis that attempt to stop and pick up fares. It seems to be a problem outside lots of Bangkok hotels.
I found that when using Bolt for an airport run it helps if you add a note clarifying that you are happy to pay the expressway tolls

Finally, I'm amazed that the Songtheaws (songkeows?) in Pattaya are still 10 baht. They were 10 baht back in 2000 so if you compare it to the increase in the price of bar fines or flights it seems to be extremely good value now.  Even perhaps a little unfair on the drivers. I'm sure they are still making good money based on the number of paying customers they must get each day. But with the increased cost of fuel and pretty much everything else going up, I'm surprised (and delighted) they are still only 10 baht. Maybe they were massively overpriced back in 2000? Or perhaps the increase in tourist numbers (and therefore passengers) makes up for the price-freeze.

Ps.. I seem to remember in the early days the Songtheaws were 10 baht for tourists but only 5 baht for Thais. Can anyone remember a time when they were less than 10baht? How far back do we have to go?

3 hours ago, delray said:

Nams - I used Nams for the airport pick up and transfer to Pattaya.  On time and service with a smile. 1200 plus tip for a medium sedan inc tolls (on the day she supplied a bigger, nicer car than ordered at no extra cost). I like Nams, the drivers have always been nice and don't drive like nut jobs.

Mr T - I've used Mr T a few times but not since covid, however, I noted that he is no longer welcome at the Areca Lodge. There is mention of this in the guest info pack in their rooms. I never had a problem with Mr T so I've no idea what went wrong there. Perhaps someone can expand on this?

Way back I used MR T before I found Nam's service or maybe before it even exited.

The problems I have with MR T was every time (many many) after being picked up at the airport we had to stop for fuel. Never did figure out why they didn't get it before arriving at the airport. 

The cars weren't the best and some of the driver drove like on a race track.

The final blow for stop using him was the second time he left me high and dry because the driver never showed up. The last time I have even gone back to his office across from the Areca to confirmed. 

The bell boys told me that this has happened before, so may that way the Areca Lodge doesn't allow him.

As I have posted on other threads, I have been using Nam's Taxi service for many years for both airport pick-up and returns back to the airport. 

IMHO, she has one of the best service out there.  

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

The problems I have with MR T was every time (many many) after being picked up at the airport we had to stop for fuel. Never did figure out why they didn't get it before arriving at the airport.  "

I've used Mr T since 2012, about 15 trips at least and never had this happen to me

The drivers have always turned up really early every time as well, often 30mins or longer before the scheduled pick-up

6 hours ago, delray said:

Finally, I'm amazed that the Songtheaws (songkeows?) in Pattaya are still 10 baht. They were 10 baht back in 2000 so if you compare it to the increase in the price of bar fines or flights it seems to be extremely good value now.  Even perhaps a little unfair on the drivers. I'm sure they are still making good money based on the number of paying customers they must get each day. But with the increased cost of fuel and pretty much everything else going up, I'm surprised (and delighted) they are still only 10 baht. Maybe they were massively overpriced back in 2000? Or perhaps the increase in tourist numbers (and therefore passengers) makes up for the price-freeze.

I'm not so sure they are making good money currently.

Perhaps they are still that price because many fewer customers would use them if the price were raised - particularly if it were to 20 THB.

I often use them because I'm feeling lazy. If they were more expensive, lazy mode might be suppressed!

4 hours ago, LeoTex said:

The problems I have with MR T was every time (many many) after being picked up at the airport we had to stop for fuel. Never did figure out why they didn't get it before arriving at the airport. 

On the off chance, you were in a good mood, and paid for it.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Leo_Bia said:

On the off chance, you were in a good mood, and paid for it.

Not no, but hell no!!!

The last time we just pulled out of the airport and got on the motor way and then he exited. 

We went off the beaten path to one of those LP places which had line of cars waiting their turn.

The time from exiting the motor way and getting back on was just under an hour. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

4 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

The problems I have with MR T was every time (many many) after being picked up at the airport we had to stop for fuel. Never did figure out why they didn't get it before arriving at the airport.  "

I've used Mr T since 2012, about 15 trips at least and never had this happen to me

The drivers have always turned up really early every time as well, often 30mins or longer before the scheduled pick-up

I would say you have lucky.

Stopping for fuel and twice not showing up at the hotel for the trip back to the airport.

There been other that posted on other threads about MR T drivers stopping for fuel. 

1 hour ago, LeoTex said:

There been other that posted on other threads about MR T drivers stopping for fuel. 

I once had them stop twice, once just after leaving the airport and again before getting into Pattaya, both times to LPG stations off the beaten track!

The note about Mr T has been in the Areca Information book for many years!

9 hours ago, LeoTex said:

I think I read somewhere on this forum in past threads that the reason for this is because of payment/funds. Like they need to make sure they have a ride / payment coming before committing the money to buy fuel.  There's a chance a customer might cancel or flight delay/change in plan etc. 

So lets say 1 hr before pickup driver uses all his money to fill up the gas tank and goes to airport to pickup.  30 mins later, he gets notice that the customer has cancelled or flight was delayed for 24 hours etc so now he's out money to buy food etc and has to wait a long time to get paid back.  

Edited by rainman333

14 hours ago, LeoTex said:

Way back I used MR T before I found Nam's service or maybe before it even exited.

The cars weren't the best and some of the driver drove like on a race track.

The final blow for stop using him was the second time he left me high and dry because the driver never showed up. The last time I have even gone back to his office across from the Areca to confirmed. 

The bell boys told me that this has happened before, so may that way the Areca Lodge doesn't allow him.

As I have posted on other threads, I have been using Nam's Taxi service for many years for both airport pick-up and returns back to the airport. 

I can only subscribe each single word you wrote, 100% same-same in every point ref. Mr T.

Adding that once on the way to Pattaya, not only it stopped in a gas station opposite way (so with a detour) but also was put in a different car coming  from Pattaya. Passenger swap! We lost a good 20’. Nothing critical as I was arriving, but a nuisance.

Nam’s became my appointed taxi service ever since.

Edited by A6-GIV

11 hours ago, Bazle said:

I'm not so sure they are making good money currently.

Perhaps they are still that price because many fewer customers would use them if the price were raised - particularly if it were to 20 THB.

I often use them because I'm feeling lazy. If they were more expensive, lazy mode might be suppressed!

The only increase they can apply is going from 10 to 20, still peanuts but people will see it as doubling the price. Indeed it is if you do the math, but honestly it’d be a fair logical increase.   I can’t see a +20%/50%  working smoothly with change and everything and won’t be much significant.

surprised too they have not touched the prices in years. 

As I am lazy too and have a bit of reduced mobility I use the also for 2/300 meters. Would I still use them if 20 baht. Yes, same same, even if I’d be a resident. 

4 hours ago, rainman333 said:

I think I read somewhere on this forum in past threads that the reason for this is because of payment/funds. Like they need to make sure they have a ride / payment coming before committing the money to buy fuel.  There's a chance a customer might cancel or flight delay/change in plan etc. 

So lets say 1 hr before pickup driver uses all his money to fill up the gas tank and goes to airport to pickup.  30 mins later, he gets notice that the customer has cancelled or flight was delayed for 24 hours etc so now he's out money to buy food etc and has to wait a long time to get paid back.  

My understanding of the annoying practice is that stopping for fuel on the way to the airport might delay their arrival. Whether they have a passenger or not.  A late arrival at the airport might create problems both for a pick up or drop off.

Not the case on their way to Pattaya, where a +15’ will not damage anyone but still extremely annoying for the customer.

I suspect they run a very tight operation schedule. Just as I suspect they work on a similar way as Bolt: a “fleet of freelancers” drivers on demand. Contrary to Nam, cars and drivers look very casual/private, with no real standard.  So all risks to the driver and Mr.T gets a cut from the fare.

whilst Nam look more structured and like a chauffeur driven service. Maybe someone (mrs Nam? A former partner?)  has invested in the fleet or this is leased to finance it.

7 hours ago, LeoTex said:

I would say you have lucky.

Stopping for fuel and twice not showing up at the hotel for the trip back to the airport.

Echo that. I used Mr T for a couple of years and from memory I had a full house when it comes to refuelling in route. The only station I remember they used was the one off the highway some 20 click from Pattaya. My stories regarding T's are the same as the zillion negative reports all over the board

14 hours ago, LeoTex said:

I'll second that recommendation on Nam's Taxi Service (A+)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After years of crazy drivers, drivers switching cars( in the early days first time it happened I thought I was being set up for a mugging). Drivers stopping for fuel and giving me a sob story of "everything expensive' looking for me to pay the fuel.

I eventually switched to Nam's and I get none of that crap.  Only get professionalism.

I have used Nam's for my last few trips - always been great.

I also used to use Mr T but had similar experiences with stopping for fuel and a few aspiring Max Verstappens.

Final straw was having a minor shunt. Not the drivers fault but he was hit from behind. He needed to stay and sort out the paperwork but got another driver to come up from Pattaya to finish my ride - we were nearly in the outskirts. I paid off the driver in full but the relief driver also insisted I give him 200bt.

Never again. 

37 minutes ago, Harry Brown said:

After years of crazy drivers, drivers switching cars( in the early days first time it happened I thought I was being set up for a mugging). Drivers stopping for fuel and giving me to sob story of "everything expensive' looking for me to pay the fuel.

I eventually switched to Nam's and I get none of that crap.  Only get professionalism.

Exactly, how I feel.

• Like 2

On 13/06/2023 at 05:06, Greg_B said:

Really!? What was her name? 

(I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip the waitstaff.)

• Haha 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I used Mr T often, never had a problem, that I recall with a fuel stop.

Agree about the amateur Max Verstappens, but the deal breaker for me was the last two times, another passenger was sitting in the back seat as well. Same destination, same price for both of us THB 1000 each. Very awkward.

Nams is light years ahead and as a bonus not taking my life in the drivers hands.

16 minutes ago, LoneCelt said:

another passenger was sitting in the back seat as well.

Yeah, I hate that.  A few years back I booked a taxi to Bangkok from one of the booths near my hotel. Just before he arrived the guy from the booth rang me and asked if it was ok if the driver brought his 'friend' along for the ride. I refused point blank as I wanted a 'private' taxi.  When the taxi arrived, sure enough there was another thai guy sitting in the front passenger seat. I politely asked him to get out and find his own taxi but he stayed put. A few minutes later the guy from the booth came running up the road and tried to convince me to take the extra passenger. I asked him if my fare would be halved now there were 2 passengers and he said no. I stood my ground and waited for the guy to get out and leave. The taxi driver didn't seem bothered but the guy from the booth was pissed off with me so I suspect he'd promised a free ride to one of his mates.

To some this may appear a bit mean and if the guy was in a desperate situation I would be eager to help. But here I felt that I was just being taken for a ride (pun intended) and I didnt fancy a long taxi ride with two guys yakking away in Thai and most likely a diversion to drop his 'friend' off. Also the idea of having two guys up front rang a few alarm bells..... I'd never get in a meter taxi in Bangkok with two guys up front. 

Everything went smoothly after this but I never used that taxi booth again.

On 12/06/2023 at 22:06, Greg_B said:

Are you saying what I think you're saying or not?

• Haha 2

I always always use Mike's Taxi service not only from airport but in Pattaya too.

They seem very popular probably second to Nams if not owned by the same company I wonder but different name ?

Mike's Taxi 

7 hours ago, oldmanemu53 said:

I always always use Mike's Taxi service not only from airport but in Pattaya too.

They seem very popular probably second to Nams if not owned by the same company I wonder but different name ?

Mike's Taxi 

Not owned by same company!

On 13/06/2023 at 09:46, A6-GIV said:

whilst Nam look more structured and like a chauffeur driven service. Maybe someone (mrs Nam? A former partner?)  has invested in the fleet or this is leased to finance it.

No.
AFAIK, all Nam's drivers are owner drivers, Nam nor "any former partner" has invested in the fleet. Except at some stage, Nam lent some money for a few months to help one of her friends for a deposit to buy a new car after her previous car got lost during Covid, but that has all been paid back.
Nam runs a business. She has invested a lot of time and effort to develop the model and build it up, but other then that she has no capital invested in it.