electricity comsumption strategy to keep the condo cool

filipef

19 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

You have screen doors?

11 hours ago, wadman said:

No, what does that have to do with it? 

5 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

Thanks for your No answer to my question! 555

I have clearly answered your question with "no".  

So my question (which you have not answered) is once again: what does that (screen doors) have to do with it? 

1 hour ago, wadman said:

I have clearly answered your question with "no".  

So my question (which you have not answered) is once again: what does that (screen doors) have to do with it? 

DUH!! Screen doors keep the bugs out.  :Crazy1:  :GoldenSmile1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If one rents a room with A/C you have already paid a premium so use it, if the cost of electric is a concern, then fan room is the way to go. I only stay in places with A/C and bite the bullet.

Well, how many of you all are simultaneously heating your room up, and cooling the room down?  Just saying... An obvious waste...  What??!?!?  (having a frig inside with the AC on... 555)

1 hour ago, Saddic said:

Well, how many of you all are simultaneously heating your room up, and cooling the room down?  Just saying... An obvious waste...  What??!?!?  (having a frig inside with the AC on... 555)

Heating our rooms up?

2 hours ago, jetdoc said:

If one rents a room with A/C you have already paid a premium so use it, if the cost of electric is a concern, then fan room is the way to go. I only stay in places with A/C and bite the bullet.

If you seen some of the fans rooms I've seen not sure you'd feel that way! :) Fortunately I don't have to rent a room to live in.

I require and live in a large modern one bedroom condo with two aircons.

As has been said one way to help keep your electric bill down is to use fans. I now do and see a significant difference! No need to get a fan room!

7 hours ago, ingo67 said:

My AC is normally on 14 hours night time, more in March and April, set at between 25-26C, Daikin Inverter, total electric with TV, Fridge Freezer, etc always less than 1000 Baht per month for a condo. Costs nothing to stay cool in Thailand, you'd blow more on a quiet night out in Tree Town.

Really! How big is this condo?

• Haha 2

A modern inverter is at least 40% more efficient.

Be scene and not herd.

6 minutes ago, Laawman said:

When I had a 1 bedroom 36 sqm condo at grand avenue, lowest electricity bill was just under 700 baht a month. This was for December and January when I ran the ac for about 20 minutes total for the whole month. 

Highest bill ever was around 1700 baht, and this was before the reopening of Thailand when there wasn't much to do, am so I stayed home a lot with the ac on during the day. Ac was on at night during the hot months. Cooked 1-2 meals a day, and ran the washing machine every 8 days. 

Electricity was at government rates. Ac nominally set to 27C, although the built in thermostat wasn't terribly accurate. Ac units were "Trane" brand, installed by the developer is my guess, so they probably went for the cheapest ones. 

With more efficient appliances (especially the ac), I can see 1000 baht month. 

9 hours ago, Laawman said:

Now I get it, thanks for sharing that info! :)

15 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

If you seen some of the fans rooms I've seen not sure you'd feel that way! :) Fortunately I don't have to rent a room to live in.

Right we live in Thailand. In Udon wife owns a three bed townhouse, 4 A/C's, hot times bill 4kish, in Pattaya she owns two one bed condos, at The Base, with one A/C running 24/7 elect. bill 2.6kish. Here at GA still learning as only been here since Sept. As we pay no rent (only common fees) our living in comfort is way below normal rental costs. Happy camper here.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Fans every day of the week. I don't need air con, and they're not healthy anyway.

I suspect a washing machine will be the biggest energy guzzler you have to worry about if you don't use air con.

On 15/02/2023 at 09:01, jetdoc said:

Right we live in Thailand. In Udon wife owns a three bed townhouse, 4 A/C's, hot times bill 4kish, in Pattaya she owns two one bed condos, at The Base, with one A/C running 24/7 elect. bill 2.6kish. Here at GA still learning as only been here since Sept. As we pay no rent (only common fees) our living in comfort is way below normal rental costs. Happy camper here.

I live in a 3 bedroom house in Pattaya with 4AC with the Mrs my last electricity bill was 4700 baht at government rates.

If I feel hot I put the AC ,I spent more on a night out sometimes than my monthly electricity bill so I am not going to be sweating my nuts off to save a few baht 

9 hours ago, Shamrock71 said:

they're not healthy anyway.

Never heard that, wondering what the specific health risk is? 

3 hours ago, jetdoc said:

My sinuses just hate aircon.

Even a couple nights away in a hotel, and I will be feeling like shit.

No problem living with fans, and I feel I am much more acclimatised to the heat that way.

Edited by Leo_Bia
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Leo_Bia said:

My sinuses just hate aircon.

Even a couple nights away in a hotel, and I will be feeling like shit.

No problem living with fans, and I feel I am much more acclimatised to the heat that way.

I see just you, and others that have similar health issues.

Edited by jetdoc
brain fart

10 hours ago, jetdoc said:

For short term use, you'll prob be okay, but for longer term there could be all sorts of nasty shit - from headaches to coughing and respiratory issues, bacteria, fungi, mould, and mildew all circulating in the air, esp if the unit is not maintained and cleaned regularly.  

2 hours ago, Shamrock71 said:

For short term use, you'll prob be okay, but for longer term there could be all sorts of nasty shit - from headaches to coughing and respiratory issues, bacteria, fungi, mould, and mildew all circulating in the air, esp if the unit is not maintained and cleaned regularly.  

I'm only 85 so not sure if I'll have long term problems. Most of the things you mention circulating in the air will be there with a fan whereas a well maintained air conditioner with proper filters will do wonders in reducing them. 

• Like 1

I use this kind of screen, works very well.

20240326_090238.jpg

I use this kind of screen, works very well.

On 13/02/2023 at 14:06, Thomaz73 said:

Fans use next to no energy compared to AC. What I typically do is cool the bedroom down a bit before bed time using AC. Then fan for sleeping. Works a charm for me. I think my bill was around 3-400 baht last month. 

Agreed, fans are your friends. Two fans oscillating at different cycles feels likes a natural breeze, for me any way :)

Eventually you will acclimate and the heat will feel less oppressive. Another strategy I've used when I had my own apartment was to open the sliding glass doors/ windows early in the morning to let in the (relatively) cool air. A cold shower also helps to cool me down if I've been active.

If I want to, I can manage being air con free during the day, but I've decided sleeping in the comfort of aircon is worth it, all be it with a fan. I get more value out of paying a little extra for Air/con than I (usually) do for buying inflated LD in some bars :) 

• Like 3

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

For personal coolth put a pop bottle full of water in the fridge and then stick it up your tshirt or down your shorts etc it's about as good as a cold shower.

20240326_090238.thumb.jpg.16360afd894a7cf93a5cb26a5c498dec.jpgI use this kind of screen, works very well.

Edited by wolfgang68
Add pic