IGNORED

Best Italian restaurant?

I was going to mention Fellini Beach as another option in Jomtien but I’ve just seen that’s it for sale. It used to be on Thappraya near the old Pig & Whistle then it moved down to Beach Road near Soi 11. I actually met the owner in January when a friend dragged me to a new music bar on Pratumnak Road. The Italian owner popped in for half an hour as he knew the Frenchman who’s opened the bar.

I wonder if something’s happened to him? Quite strange that the business is for sale as it’s not been in the new location very long.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

On 10/08/2023 at 03:26, socrates said:

Personally I did not think Gian's was anything special - I have yet to find a go to Italian in this town - still looking.....

I thought I would write a little about why I like Gian's as much as I do. Obviously, we all have different tastes.

• I find the atmosphere and service at Gian's to be very good.
  • The Mrs and I are not big eaters. We are generally looking for something a little lighter. I am fat enough already. I do not need to be waddling away from a table. With this in mind I usually have a small pasta dish and a couple of glasses of wine.
  • IMO Gian's is bringing in quality ingredients. Their use of Calabrese Sausage points to this. Their Nduja Sauce is excellent.
  • Off the top of my head I can think of several pasta dishes that I think they do an excellent job of preparing. (Pasta in Nduja Sauce, their version of Aglio e Olio (Garlic and Oil) may be the best version of that dish I have ever tasted, they do a very good Linguine alle Vongole (Linguine and Clams, although I think they use Spaghetti).  

Anyway, given what I am looking for they meet what I want.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, davidge said:

I was going to mention Fellini Beach as another option in Jomtien but I’ve just seen that’s it for sale. It used to be on Thappraya near the old Pig & Whistle then it moved down to Beach Road near Soi 11. I actually met the owner in January when a friend dragged me to a new music bar on Pratumnak Road. The Italian owner popped in for half an hour as he knew the Frenchman who’s opened the bar.

I wonder if something’s happened to him? Quite strange that the business is for sale as it’s not been in the new location very long.

I noticed the place at the Thappraya location back before we moved from VT2A. Looked interesting enough, but they did not seem to be doing very good business. I never tried.

6 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I noticed the place at the Thappraya location back before we moved from VT2A. Looked interesting enough, but they did not seem to be doing very good business. I never tried.

There’s another restaurant at that location now - might even have kept the name (Fellini). I don’t think I saw any customers inside more than once or twice during my trip. Most of the time they have all the windows wide open, obviously to avoid using aircon, given where it is that’s really going to put people off.

The original owner moved to the new location late last year, I think.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 2 months later...

There is also toto's in jomtien before the curve at the beach.  It was a "meh" and not a repeat. The owner/manager was very attentive and the place stayed packed.  Just not for me 

Recently been going here - Pratumnak Soi 4 right near Co and Caffe - Verace Pizza Italian Restaurant 

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100095494442620

Definitely worth trying

Edited by socrates

• 3 months later...
On 17/01/2023 at 09:32, Steeve69 said:

In North Pattaya, Grottino Pizzeria and Osteria is good and well known.

In the same area, there is Fusillo Restaurant, which is also nice and often full in the evening so booking is recommended.

Prego, which is located where Mantra restaurant used to be, is a bit expensive compared to the other ones.

Grottino closed now.  Whole area about to become yet another mega mall or hotel.

But Grottino FB page says re-opening in May on Soi 4.  Check for details.

I don't think you can beat Trattoria Pizzeria Toscana on Beach Road. Locally farmed meat, imported wine, great host. 

I got an unsolicited email ad from an Italian Restaurant called "Sicily".

https://www.sicily.restaurant/?_gl=1*pegndu*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjwh4-wBhB3EiwAeJsppIMSRB0uaEmNTVdShEY-D5xc0QcYQaeT6MI8dG9k8rqXOgnTNHicHRoCe14QAvD_BwE

It is out on Maphrachan Lake. They have a huge menu and many of the pics look very inviting, Looks to be a little expensive for an Italian restaurant, probably close to Gian's for price comparison purposes.

Anyone been out here? I am thinking about giving it a try.

Went there a couple of times. Very nice place with excellent service. No pizza's are served before 5 o'clock in the afternoon. Menu is really extensive. There is a huge wine cabinet with a variety of very good wines.