IGNORED

Best Italian restaurant?

Went to a place on Soi Bonkot a few nights ago, new place, opposite Nadai's. Cant remember the name.

Really nice place, small single unit done up well.

Had a quick look at menu and asked the dour faced lady server if they done risotto. She ignorantly replied only food on menu.

Menu was actually disappointing, not many choices. No risotto or arrabiata. 

I had the seafood pasta dish and it was outstanding. Missus had the one with bacon in it-Americanata and was average. Bruschetta starter was average, house wine OK.

The bill was reasonable. 

• Like 2

On 09/07/2023 at 11:14, Halfaboy said:

Could it be that this restaurant is on Soi 13/1 ?

Thanks for the correction, yes Rinapp Restaurant Soi 13/1 

On 17/05/2023 at 19:17, Igor99 said:

Alby and Micky is quite good.

4 years ago I wnt to Peccatore but I think it closed definetely. I'm sorry for this because the restasurant was very good

Last here I went to Pizza Italy. The boss is from region and he is very kind 

The owner of Il Peccatore has reopened and the new restaurant is called Osteria Sendi. Looking forward to trying it when I get there in September 

• 4 weeks later...

There is a new Italian place opened recently on Phratamnak Soi 4, near  Co & Caffe. Double unit, done out really nice.

So we rock up and thankfully, menu is displayed outside. Reading the menu and one of the many servers came over, I noted that there was a starter page and a pizza page, so I enquired about pasta-no hab. About turn and off elsewhere. An Italian with no pasta-WTF.

So went to Toto in Jomtiem, next to country Roads. Nice place, AC, decent menu, ended up with a pizza and pasta seafood, both good and both under 300B. The Bruschetta starter was average-on stale bread. Spoke with owner/chef?? guy, nice pleasant chap and mentioned that there was no arrabiata on menu and he said no problem, he would do for me next time. The house wine was Laughing bird, which is decent house wine.

On 17/05/2023 at 22:31, mikau said:

I stay in Jomtien and have tried most of the options in this area.
Gian's is good but i prefer Bacco beach, great cocktails too.

Have to disagree. Gian's is one of the best Italian places in Banglamung. The chef is very talented and has trained some of the other better Italian chefs (Giovanni of Aquapazza for one) in the area. Bacco is better than ok, but despite the skin pic is pedestrian when it comes to the food.

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Have to disagree. Gian's is one of the best Italian places in Banglamung. The chef is very talented and has trained some of the other better Italian chefs (Giovanni of Aquapazza for one) in the area. Bacco is better than ok, but despite the skin pic is pedestrian when it comes to the food.

Personally I did not think Gian's was anything special - I have yet to find a go to Italian in this town - still looking.....

me too...Gian nothing special. Been there once. I have been to many but havent been to any really good Italians...

On 12/07/2023 at 12:30, Stefano88 said:

The owner of Il Peccatore has reopened and the new restaurant is called Osteria Sendi. Looking forward to trying it when I get there in September 

Please can you precise where is this new place ?

Il Peccatore was one of my favorite place to eat, and I really miss it ...

There was a good little Italian place I used a lot when I lived in Jomthien.  It's about halfway up the Thappraya Rd. hill, on the left at the entrance to Jomthien Nivate Village.

A million years ago, everyone knew it as just "80 baht spaghetti", because it had one of those small A-frame signs in front of that which read that.  We even called it "80 baht spaghetti" when the price went to 90 baht.  :)  Later they put a sign on the building that said "Buondi", same owner, same food.

I sampled most of their menu, both eat-in and take-away (when Lady M. didn't feel like cooking).  I thought it was all good, solid Italian fare, and the prices were very reasonable.

I went looking for it on Google street view.  Looks closed, but the street view pic was from 2022, and there's a review posted purportedly from a month ago.  Reviewer said that the original owner had died; his review included a picture that I recognize as the previous owner.  Judging from street view the new owner changed the name, but the reviewer said that they kept the original menu.

If it's as good as it was I would highly recommend it.  Caveat emptor though!

Edited by Bruce Mangosteen
  • Like 1

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

14 hours ago, piff said:

Please can you precise where is this new place ?

Il Peccatore was one of my favorite place to eat, and I really miss it ...

IMG_0461.png

Great thanks Stefano88 !!!

I will try it for sure during my next stay in November - I go in this soi many time when I am in Pattaya (for the gent clubs nearby ...).

Little Italy, opposite Royal Garden on Second Road, was my "go to" Italian, but it didn't survive Covid.

Does anyone know if it happened to re-open elsewhere, please?

On 16/08/2023 at 03:11, Bruce Mangosteen said:

There was a good little Italian place I used a lot when I lived in Jomthien.  It's about halfway up the Thappraya Rd. hill, on the left at the entrance to Jomthien Nivate Village.

A million years ago, everyone knew it as just "80 baht spaghetti", because it had one of those small A-frame signs in front of that which read that.  We even called it "80 baht spaghetti" when the price went to 90 baht.  :)  Later they put a sign on the building that said "Buondi", same owner, same food.

Yes, I remember it also; and yes we called it 80-baht spaghetti place too. I never felt the food was special.  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't amazing. It was also outdoors and hot, so IMO, it wasn't a good "night out" restaurant.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, travelling_man said:

I never felt the food was special.  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't amazing.

I agree.  Not special, just well done for what it was, and consistent.  He cooked a lot like how my mother cooks, and many of the same things, that may have something to do with my affection for the place.

22 minutes ago, travelling_man said:

It was also outdoors and hot, so IMO, it wasn't a good "night out" restaurant.

Well, I have little use for aircon, so that never bothered me.  I'd rather be a little too warm than too cold.  They can turn a fan on me, with the added plus that it helps keep the bugs away.  :) 

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

Origano in Jomtien is very good for the price. 

They have an indoor air-conditioned section with 5 tables that seat 4 each. 

They have an outdoor sidewalk seating as well. 

If visiting that big bar complex in Jomtien and want Italian then it's worth a try. The calzone was around 240b they also have Thai food if you had a Thai friend with you that did not want Italian. 

IMG_20230518_190625.thumb.jpg.8f80bd829e8f307548d27b5ffb79ea21.jpg

• Like 3

Alby & Micky - Ristorante Italiano on soi buakhao ...Always good and run by a real italian

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sltdehyeres said:

Alby & Micky - Ristorante Italiano on soi buakhao ...Always good and run by a real italian

I have eaten there 3 or 4 times since last year, as there is now very little choice around soi buakao for italian food, but I never found the food really exciting : the pasta were usually ok, but my pizza was not good.

But yes many italian customers come here.

• 2 weeks later...

osteria Sendi, is now here, 10 min walk from the crossroad soi lengkee soi buakaow.

the best way to reach it is walking along the soi in between Buffalo Bar and The Castle

Very good as usual, he works alone in the kitchen so the menu is not that big but truly italian 100%

Open 4 pm - last order 10 pm

sendii.png

• Like 2

..............and if you have some kind of italian heritage and you want to practice the language of your grandfathers you can buy his books........available in the restaurant for 300 thb

sendi libri.jpg

On 17/08/2023 at 03:13, Bazle said:

Little Italy, opposite Royal Garden on Second Road, was my "go to" Italian, but it didn't survive Covid.

Does anyone know if it happened to re-open elsewhere, please?

I also liked "Little Italy". My understanding is that it was operated by the same people that run the often acclaimed "Grottino" over in Naklua. I have never been.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057663150632&eid=ARAuKgxNmN-ED-yuIUG3zo1lr6PIPigf4pK05uhs-u1CR3YV4RyMz3JWnKeQ7u0J02KS3nej-OYzdQg_

It looks like I had dinner there at an unlucky moment. About three weeks ago went there at around 18.00 hrs. Only two Thai ladies were taking care. My minestrone soup was not even warm and the pasta was tasteless. All of a sudden the two Thai ladies were unable to speak any English anymore. So, I left with no intention to come back. After that I went a few times to the nearby Italian restaurant Alby and Micky where I had tasteful meals including good service.

No one mentioned MIMOSA’S yet. Maybe because it’s small (10-12 tables?) and rather far out for Pattaya residents (near Soi 12 Jomtien Beach Road. )

it has a good reputation in the area. I ate there recently and was impressed (but an Italian heritage reviewer would perhaps be a better judge.) 

it was priced higher than typical, but so are the other places mentioned above. Open Monday through Saturday, dinner only (17:00-23:00) 

TBH in all my years in Pattaya, I don't think I've ever had a good Italian meal the way I like it. Must have tried at least 10 Italian restaurants here over the years, and really didn't like the food in any of them, but times change. So maybe you fine gents can give me a recommendation?

I'm not looking for authentic Italian, I'm looking for American style Italian. Thick, rich tomato sauce over pasta. No Bechamel, no watery marinara, no tasteless basil sauce, no white sauce. I want the real thick rich tomato sauce cooked for many hours, that sticks to the pasta, a meat sauce is better but not required. 

Anybody know where I can find that?